ADVERTISEMENT

Was it just me or was Yurchich a totally different OC vs Minnesota

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022
I absolutely loved the way that he called the game vs Minnesota and thought he was rather average/below average to start the season. Reminded me of BOB calling plays out there. Hopefully he can continue this vs OSU. Gives me hope vs OSU.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Minny ran a defense early to stop the run at all costs. MY adapted to this nicely. I thought he should have adapted to this slightly earlier, but still it was nice to see we can adapt for a change. Usually we will call a stubborn ineffective game plan based on ego.

Minnesota was bringing guys down into the box to stop the run and it left the middle/seam open. Once we started hitting TEs there (two for touchdowns) they changed their coverage to stop that and it opened up the run game. Once we were able to run the ball it opened up a lot of other stuff as well. We finally got our TEs involved and it paid off big time. If teams are going to stack the box to stop our run game then we 100% have the talent to beat them with our TEs the middle of the field. If we show them that we are willing to do that then they have to account for it and it opens up the offense. Before Minnesota we were not willing to do that and teams didn't have to respect our TEs.

Minnesota was bringing guys down into the box to stop the run and it left the middle/seam open. Once we started hitting TEs there (two for touchdowns) they changed their coverage to stop that and it opened up the run game. Once we were able to run the ball it opened up a lot of other stuff as well. We finally got our TEs involved and it paid off big time. If teams are going to stack the box to stop our run game then we 100% have the talent to beat them with our TEs the middle of the field. If we show them that we are willing to do that then they have to account for it and it opens up the offense. Before Minnesota we were not willing to do that and teams didn't have to respect our TEs.
Totally agree. And once Minny adjusted to cover the TEs they opened the running lanes. It is a perfect example of the in game chess match football is.

safety play is the key to college football defenses. They are the knights and rooks. Defenses move them up, back, left and right to cover the offense strengths.

Another key difference in the Minnesota game is the amount of possessions we had.

After two 3 and outs and an interception, we not only got Minnesota off the field, but then ran 30 more plays before halftime.

Michigan drained the clock. We couldn't stop them. Minnesota didn't have the ability to do this. Perhaps if we got Michigan off the field, things might have been a little different.

Going into OSU, we can't have the game plan of running Singleton straight into the teeth of the defense 3 of the first 6 plays against a stacked box. We have to come out throwing to what they give us.

The question that I have is if we need to use the TEs to assist with the vaunted OSU pass rush, especially if Wallace and/or Tengwall are out. But I think we are going to have to trust the OL and use the TEs, bc as you mentioned this in turn opened up the run game. I think our OL has proven to be ok with the pass blocking, and if we can't pass block them man on man its going to be a long game.

The "weakness" of their D is their secondary.

Minnesota was playing a cover 2 most of the time allowing the middle third to be open as we pressed the outside thirds with our wideouts. The difference between this game and the Michigan game was that Mike was keeping our TE's in to aid in pass pro where he didn't need to against Minnesota. We also had a clear speed edge on Minnesota. With OSU this weekend, it awaits to be seen what happens but based on history, their new DC will shower Sean with lots of fronts and various blitz schemes. The TE's might not have much of a game again.

Another key difference in the Minnesota game is the amount of possessions we had.

After two 3 and outs and an interception, we not only got Minnesota off the field, but then ran 30 more plays before halftime.

Michigan drained the clock. We couldn't stop them. Minnesota didn't have the ability to do this. Perhaps if we got Michigan off the field, things might have been a little different.

Going into OSU, we can't have the game plan of running Singleton straight into the teeth of the defense 3 of the first 6 plays against a stacked box. We have to come out throwing to what they give us.
Do you think we can have that kind of success going to the TEs against O$U. They will be more athletic and faster with a LB or safety but still hopeful we have the advantage. They obviously saw this on tape and will be ready, what will be our counter if they take the TE down the seam away?

Minnesota was playing a cover 2 most of the time allowing the middle third to be open as we pressed the outside thirds with our wideouts. The difference between this game and the Michigan game was that Mike was keeping our TE's in to aid in pass pro where he didn't need to against Minnesota. We also had a clear speed edge on Minnesota. With OSU this weekend, it awaits to be seen what happens but based on history, their new DC will shower Sean with lots of fronts and various blitz schemes. The TE's might not have much of a game again.
That spells a loss then unfortunately. Could screens work against them or swing/dump offs to the backs?

Do you think we can have that kind of success going to the TEs against O$U. They will be more athletic and faster with a LB or safety but still hopeful we have the advantage. They obviously saw this on tape and will be ready, what will be our counter if they take the TE down the seam away?

We can if Yurcich goes to them early and if Clifford gets the ball out before the pass rush.

We have some questions on the OL this week as well (beyond the standard ones). Does Tengwall return? How hurt is Wallace? Is Wormley banged up?

Is their a weakness in this Buckeye defense? Looking at the stats, it doesn't appear so yet. They haven't played a great offense yet, but it's not like we have a great offense either.

We can if Yurcich goes to them early and if Clifford gets the ball out before the pass rush.

We have some questions on the OL this week as well (beyond the standard ones). Does Tengwall return? How hurt is Wallace? Is Wormley banged up?

Is their a weakness in this Buckeye defense? Looking at the stats, it doesn't appear so yet. They haven't played a great offense yet, but it's not like we have a great offense either.
From a Buckeyes fan on this board it is their corners that are a weak spot but not sure how weak they really are. That could just mean they are a 4th or 5th rd. NFL pick instead of 1st or 2nd.

Reactions: MacNit07

I think we really need Tengwall and Wormley to play. Not sure how critical Wallace is at this point. Probably the best we got there.

Except for the mind numbing runs up the middle on 1st down. Like the ghost of JoePa is whispering in his ear...

That spells a loss then unfortunately. Could screens work against them or swing/dump offs to the backs?
I agree. I want to be using the TEs non-stop this game in the passing game. Get them in motion, different formations, etc... Hope Yurchich brings his entire playbook vs. OSU. This is where its good to have a veteren QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT