ADVERTISEMENT

Wanny on BTN

Obvious difference between this year and 2016...the Pitt game in 2016 was Trace's second game as a starter. This week will be his 29th. I get the issues with the defense and they're legitimate. But we have a very experienced, high quality winner at the most important position on the field. That fact carries an awful lot of weight.
But he’s no Kenny Heisman.

Reactions: Ski
You guys did watch the game on Saturday, did you not? That was a HOME game against Appy State, that they won by the skin of their teeth.. This is an AWAY game at Pitt. Anyone who thinks Pitt won't put an ass whipping on us if we come out and play like we did against Appalachian State is in for a HUGE disappointment on Saturday.
Unless Pitt isn’t as good as App State, which we don’t know since they didn’t play anyone. Pitt may find out that Penn State isn’t Albany.

In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers ...

Some familiar posters here may not be who many think they are...they may actually HATE our beloved Penn State. Who knows?

predicts a Pitt win after watching both teams this weekend. Can’t believe he says this since Pitt played Albany! What did he see?

He might be right if they had Trace and we had their QB. You think Miles Sanders might ready as well to shine in Pittsburgh. Sorry Pitt. It's just not happening this week.

Reactions: Ski and rlmpsucpa
Obvious difference between this year and 2016...the Pitt game in 2016 was Trace's second game as a starter. This week will be his 29th. I get the issues with the defense and they're legitimate. But we have a very experienced, high quality winner at the most important position on the field. That fact carries an awful lot of weight.
You're right and I absolutely agree. However, we all know this is Pitt's Super Bowl and they are going to throw everything at us to try and win it. Their self esteem is at stake as well as making recruiting in roads against us. Their coaching staff is probably licking their chops after looking at the App State tape. I'm confident in Trace and that the team will make a leap in quality from Saturday's performance, but will it be enough given our defense and injury circumstances? I hope so, but a 28 point 4th quarter can shake you. It's not panic, but like a good middle linebacker, I'm trying to go with what my eyes were telling me :).

Reactions: Madsol
Right after the game I said this reminds me of the 2016 team. I know it was only one game but I think it is pretty clear the younger players need to be in the game (Parsons, PJ, etc.). What makes me nervous and is almost certainly going to happen is that the same rotation will be used against Pitt because it is too big of a game to throw them in. This can be a big issue. Hoping for the best next week but expecting the worst.
Agreed. Some critical personnel decisions to balance. I have a ton of respect for Franklin and this coaching staff. They will get it done. A lot of challenges and problems to be solved, but that's when they are at their best. Should be a great game Saturday night! I'm hoping against hope that Givens plays.

You're right and I absolutely agree. However, we all know this is Pitt's Super Bowl and they are going to throw everything at us to try and win it. Their self esteem is at stake as well as making recruiting in roads against us. Their coaching staff is probably licking their chops after looking at the App State tape. I'm confident in Trace and that the team will make a leap in quality from Saturday's performance, but will it be enough given our defense and injury circumstances? I hope so, but a 28 point 4th quarter can shake you. It's not panic, but like a good middle linebacker, I'm trying to go with what my eyes were telling me :).
Has anyone looked at what their eyes say about Pitt? Albany’s QB threw for 263 yards (that’s right, Albany, not Alabama). They had a WR that had 148 yards receiving...I doubt that receiver is as good as what PSU has at receiver. Pitt’s QB threw for a whopping 155 yards and they didn’t have a RB come close to breaking 100 yards. If we would have had that kind of performance against a 1-AA school, this board would be in a meltdown that makes the current meltdown look like a light rain. I get we didn’t play as well as expected, but Pitt was pretty pedestrian against a freakin high school team.

In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers ...

Some familiar posters here may not be who many think they are...they may actually HATE our beloved Penn State. Who knows?

You are absolutely correct. Have felt that way for some time. Thank goodness Pitt leaves the schedule after next year. Hopefully those of you who live in western PA will forget about Pitt after next year. Regardless of how this game goes, the two programs are going in different directions. Getting PSU early is their only chance.

Likely. But in this case his bias likely overrules his football knowledge.

that is what comes out on this guy. he is just Pitt biased - should be on an ACC channel. Why is he on BTN when no connection or awareness of this league????

what did he predict last year PSU v Pitt???

that is what comes out on this guy. he is just Pitt biased - should be on an ACC channel. Why is he on BTN when no connection or awareness of this league????

what did he predict last year PSU v Pitt???
He predicted PITT I think. I think he also predicted PITT over the Eagles in the Super Bowl and PITT over France in the World Cup.

Reactions: LionJim
Wanstedt = Mushmouf. Both let their personal allegiances influence their predictions. At least Wanny didn’t pick Pitt to win the MNC.

Why I’m not worried about Pitt: We outplayed App State comfortably for 3 quarters. We made a lot of substitutions getting younger kids some needed game experience later in the game. They made mistakes, and App State capitalized on them. Once we subbed out starters back in, we played much better.

Yes, there were some mistakes made, and they will need to improve upon them, but there’s no reason to think that they won’t.

Wanny could be right. It almost feels like 2016. Deja vu. They are catching us early and at the right time before we've had a chance to figure things out i.e. a bunch of newness just like a couple of years ago. Plus, key injuries. And in some ways, based on Saturday's performance, things are more disjointed than they were then. The 2016 team had at least been through the fire of competition as a team - winning and losing versus this team which is like a new born babe. No doubt we have more talent and better coaching than Pitt. But they are going to have to grow up mighty fast between now and Saturday to win this game. I think it's what honor demands :).

The big.....HUGE.....difference between “then and now” is the “then vs now” Trace McSorley.

Reactions: Madsol
Has anyone looked at what their eyes say about Pitt? Albany’s QB threw for 263 yards (that’s right, Albany, not Alabama). They had a WR that had 148 yards receiving...I doubt that receiver is as good as what PSU has at receiver. Pitt’s QB threw for a whopping 155 yards and they didn’t have a RB come close to breaking 100 yards. If we would have had that kind of performance against a 1-AA school, this board would be in a meltdown that makes the current meltdown look like a light rain. I get we didn’t play as well as expected, but Pitt was pretty pedestrian against a freakin high school team.

Thanks for interjecting some reality into conversation. Pitt got a kick-off for TD to start game then the defense intercepted a pass returning it to 18 yd line of Albany. Pitt offense cashed it in but they were not asked to do much and game was quickly 13-0 (missed EP). It looked Pitt used end arounds and was effective running up middle against Albany. Pickett thew a nice fade TD. Another TD pass was completely underthrown but WR caught it and outmaneurved Albany for a TD. Pitt was up 33-7 at half...then went scoreless the entire second half with starters in. Not lack of trying either. Pickett stupidly tried to go airborne on a run then fumbled. He then had pass tipped (by former PSU DT Antoine White) and INT'ed. Overall, hardly a test against FCS team. Ollison and Davis looked like strong north/south runners and French looks like a speedy WR. Mostly, Pitt was not consistent offensively. We will need Givens and DL to step up as we will get a heavy dose of up the gut runs. Pickett has ok arm and mobility but raw/inexperienced. Impossible to read Pitt's D as Albany is not quality opponent. Secondary got burned multiple times by Testaverde (yes, it is Vinny Jr..hah). It will be interesting but some pass rush, stop the run and I like PSU's chances with McSorley.

Pitt Albany in 15m

Pitt will come with plenty of emotion. This is the biggest game on their schede.We need to come ready to play.
They could beat us badly. Or the opposite. Or somewhere in between. Don’t know much about either team.

Boggles my admittedly feeble mind that any rational adult would actually care even a smidge what any of these talking heads say while they blather to fill time.
Wanny can hate PSU with every fiber of his being — and blatantly say so — and it wouldn’t bother me in the least.
Unless he insults my wife or mother, I don’t give a hoot what he has to say.
This board has a surprisingly high number of babies who complain about everyone who is not a 100% PSU homer. They apparently believe words spoken or written will mysteriously impact the action on the field.
Good grief.

Reactions: WDLion
Boggles my admittedly feeble mind that any rational adult would actually care even a smidge what any of these talking heads say while they blather to fill time.
Wanny can hate PSU with every fiber of his being — and blatantly say so — and it wouldn’t bother me in the least.
Unless he insults my wife or mother, I don’t give a hoot what he has to say.
This board has a surprisingly high number of babies who complain about everyone who is not a 100% PSU homer. They apparently believe words spoken or written will mysteriously impact the action on the field.
Good grief.
I don’t care and I certainly don’t expect any PSU homers since there are none. I complain because if he’s going to pick Pitt just because he wants it to happen, then he should just say that. Don’t try to mask it by acting like it’s an expert opinion due to watching game film of Pitt not dominating Albany. Also, how would a broadcaster look if almost every week, regardless of opponent, that person picked Ohio State to lose just because they hate Ohio State? They would look like an unprofessional idiot that would get called out by any of his partners....but do it to PSU and it’s perfectly okay.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I can almost Guarantee Pitt has no QB on its roster that can throw with the accuracy the kid from App St. did on Saturday. Their were obviously some breakdowns in the secondary at times, but his passes were extremely accurate.

predicts a Pitt win after watching both teams this weekend. Can’t believe he says this since Pitt played Albany! What did he see?

Getting beat by Pitt is certainly a possibility. After rewatching the game and focusing on our defensive tackles, if I was the Pitt coaches, I would run right at us with their big backs.

I sure hope Givens plays. We need someone who can get penetration and get off blocks.

If you delve into the Pitt stats for their game against a glorified D-2 team, it's not all that impressive. The Heisman candidate threw for 154 yards. One of them accounted for 42. I mean, what the hell are you all so scared about? Other than the one pass, that is 7 yards per catch. This is a Super Bowl performance?

Get a grip, folks. You are succumbing to the trolls.

Reactions: Ski and JJTopp99
If you delve into the Pitt stats for their game against a glorified D-2 team, it's not all that impressive. The Heisman candidate threw for 154 yards. One of them accounted for 42. I mean, what the hell are you all so scared about? Other than the one pass, that is 7 yards per catch. This is a Super Bowl performance?

Get a grip, folks. You are succumbing to the trolls.
And Albany’s QB picked them apart (and he’s no Trace McSorley) and a receiver had 148 yards receiving (and he’s not as good as any of our receivers).

And Albany’s QB picked them apart (and he’s no Trace McSorley) and a receiver had 148 yards receiving (and he’s not as good as any of our receivers).
FWIW, Pitt held out 3 defensive backs from their 2 deep. All dressed but did not play. All are expected to play this week.

He's been a head coach and assistant in both college and the pros for nearly 40 years. If he watched both teams he likely saw quite a lot. He may well be wrong, but I think he knows more about football than anyone who posts here.

Hold my beer.:D

Reactions: fairgambit
FWIW, Pitt held out 3 defensive backs from their 2 deep. All dressed but did not play. All are expected to play this week.
Hey Fair, what massive cultural epiphanies are currently scheduled for the 'Burgh on Saturday during the PSU game?

Opera, ballet, Off-Broadway Musicals from 50 years ago? Museums where you get a free soda?

Sorry, man. Just busting on you.

Hey, maybe there is a concert by that guy you say should have been in the RNR Hall of Fame, BUT ISN'T.

Hey Fair, what massive cultural epiphanies are currently scheduled for the 'Burgh on Saturday during the PSU game?

Opera, ballet, Off-Broadway Musicals from 50 years ago? Museums where you get a free soda?

Sorry, man. Just busting on you.

Actually dem, it's bad. At 7:30PM, the Pittsburgh CLO has the Off Broadway hit Men Are From Mars at the Greer Cabaret Theater. At 8:00 PM, Disney's Aladdin is at the Benedum. I will be at the former, but I know lots of Pitt fans will have a difficult choice to make. Both are a stones throw from the Stadium in the Cultural District. I had given my driver the evening off for his 30th wedding anniversary, but now I must drive on my own and, worse, find a spot to park the Bentley. :(

App State spent the off-season preparing for PSU. It was obvious. They exploited every weakness. Pitt probably did the same.

This is really not an "away" game for PSU, as most fans in attendance will be for Penn State. I think the line is about right.

I would lean more to PSU if it were not for a lack of continuity on defense. We looked like a disorganized Chinese fire team. The guys on defense that we need to have ready for OSU will still have little experience when we play Pitt. They can be exploited, as can our offensive line and blocking schemes, as usual.

If I were doing the coaching I would find my best athletes for defense, regardless of class, and have them work through the growing pains over the next few games. I don't think Franklin will do this though. It is risky in the short term.

On offense I have no quick solutions. I just don't think our linemen are well-suited to the type of offense we run. It's the same problem again. We're asking linemen that are better suited to a Wisconsin or Iowa type of run game to trap block half the time. Double teams on defensive tackles might make sense for a small, agile line, but that is not what we are fielding. We have maulers. In effect, half the time we are losing two blockers due to scheme alone.

App State spent the off-season preparing for PSU. It was obvious. They exploited every weakness. Pitt probably did the same.

This is really not an "away" game for PSU, as most fans in attendance will be for Penn State. I think the line is about right.

I would lean more to PSU if it were not for a lack of continuity on defense. We looked like a disorganized Chinese fire team. The guys on defense that we need to have ready for OSU will still have little experience when we play Pitt. They can be exploited, as can our offensive line and blocking schemes, as usual.

If I were doing the coaching I would find my best athletes for defense, regardless of class, and have them work through the growing pains over the next few games. I don't think Franklin will do this though. It is risky in the short term.

On offense I have no quick solutions. I just don't think our linemen are well-suited to the type of offense we run. It's the same problem again. We're asking linemen that are better suited to a Wisconsin or Iowa type of run game to trap block half the time. Double teams on defensive tackles might make sense for a small, agile line, but that is not what we are fielding. We have maulers. In effect, half the time we are losing two blockers due to scheme alone.
We will be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT