ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova's last shot

Having watched the replay of Villanova's game winning shot, is there a moving pick by Arcidiacono?

There's a moving pick on almost every play by both teams in all of college basketball these days. At some point it because acceptable for a big man to come up to the the top of the key and set moving screens all over the place and every team does it.

Reactions: Yanks49
I thought that as well, but he was just trying to get out of the shooter's way!!! that call is who you for?? UNC or Nova, take it from there.

There's a moving pick on almost every play by both teams in all of college basketball these days. At some point it because acceptable for a big man to come up to the the top of the key and set moving screens all over the place and every team does it.

Even if you subscribe to this theory, there still wasn't one on Jenkins shot. There's absolutely NO contact between Arcidiacono and anyone (in fact, there's no one within a foot of him), so no screen. The original poster must be blind.

Even if you subscribe to this theory, there still wasn't one on Jenkins shot. There's absolutely NO contact between Arcidiacono and anyone (in fact, there's no one within a foot of him), so no screen. The original poster must be blind.

Another sad, VERY sad UNC fan. UNC much like the Yankees and Cowboys have a fan base of "front-runners" !!!!
Villanova was the BETTER team and should have won by 10-15. They slowed down their offense a tad early and it almost cost them the game. Plus they missed some foul shots that rarely miss. UNC fans want to say UNC lost the game, Nova did not BEAT them !!!! Frontrunners!!!!

Having watched the replay of Villanova's game winning shot, is there a moving pick by Arcidiacono?
You sure you want to go there?
12936552_10209248807606200_4627226637322944356_n.jpg

I could watch the beauty of that all day. Simple team basketball. Thanks for that breakdown.

also give a LOT of credit for Ochefu, knowing that they play had set up multiple options, to back off his pick on Joel Berry when he saw it was not a clean pick. a lot of guys would have aggressively leaned into the opposing player. Ochefu knew it wasn't critical to take out Berry on that play, just slow him down a fraction of a second

Reactions: LionJim
Another sad, VERY sad UNC fan. UNC much like the Yankees and Cowboys have a fan base of "front-runners" !!!!
Villanova was the BETTER team and should have won by 10-15. They slowed down their offense a tad early and it almost cost them the game. Plus they missed some foul shots that rarely miss. UNC fans want to say UNC lost the game, Nova did not BEAT them !!!! Frontrunners!!!!
Watched the game rooting for Villanova. My daughter in law is a graduate.
Not an NC fan nor Yankees (though I am a Yunker) nor Cowboys. It was a earnest question.

I heard it referred to as a "brush screen", as in running across the path which the defender would prefer to take, but not initiating any contact or planting in his path. No foul.

I heard it referred to as a "brush screen", as in running across the path which the defender would prefer to take, but not initiating any contact or planting in his path. No foul.

It's called a "basketball" play. The UNC defense was WRONG and bad. How do you not have a guy on Jenkins ???????? Bad coaching decision, but how can that be at UNC??? You don't cover the beat 3 point shooter on the floor, one of the best in all of college BB ????

Watched the game rooting for Villanova. My daughter in law is a graduate.
Not an NC fan nor Yankees (though I am a Yunker) nor Cowboys. It was a earnest question.

OK :) the question just seemed a bit like looking for an excuse for UNC "very bad" defense. How do you not have a man on one of the best 3 point shooters in the country?

OK :) the question just seemed a bit like looking for an excuse for UNC "very bad" defense. How do you not have a man on one of the best 3 point shooters in the country?

I think the fact that Nova only need a 2 to win made UNC have to guard everything, 3 or non-3, and that made it harder to guard a 3 well. That said, I am surprised the Nova player got such a good look.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13
I think the fact that Nova only need a 2 to win made UNC have to guard everything, 3 or non-3, and that made it harder to guard a 3 well. That said, I am surprised the Nova player got such a good look.
It was a good look, but it was a NBA three, easily. Look at the pictures, the UNC big man got there a moment too late.

Not even close to a foul on the last shot. Now the clear traveling call not called on Nova and the ticky tack foul called against NC with 13 seconds left on the clock is another deal. Carolina would have been taking the ball to the rim instead of Paige's magic shot. But then the Jenkins' 3 pointer still wins it.

'Nova got away with several travels and was also the beneficiary of 2-3 "loose change" calls on UNC during the course of the game.....BUT.....for anyone to suggest there was anything but great execution by 'Nova on their final possession, well, they should themselves be executed. Nothing but air on the pass, nothing but air followed by nothing but net on the shot.

Forget who said it last night, maybe it was JJ.Watts: "That's what makes sports great!"

Honestly looking forward to watching Jenkins shot time after time over the next decade instead of Laettner's 1992 shot against Kentucky!

'Nova got away with several travels and was also the beneficiary of 2-3 "loose change" calls on UNC during the course of the game.....BUT.....for anyone to suggest there was anything but great execution by 'Nova on their final possession, well, they should themselves be executed. Nothing but air on the pass, nothing but air followed by nothing but net on the shot.

Forget who said it last night, maybe it was JJ.Watts: "That's what makes sports great!"

Honestly looking forward to watching Jenkins shot time after time over the next decade instead of Laettner's 1992 shot against Kentucky!

Maybe you should take a look at Jenkin's second foul....clearly ticky tack. It took Villanova's best shooter and put him on the bench for the majority of the first half. Jenkins only played 21 minutes last night
Villanova with Jenkins +14
Villanova without Jenkins. -11

I complained about those 'lose' calls against UNC during the game.

No matter, Villanova won the game and my hat is off to them.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr

There was no one on him. they had a man or Arch and one on Ochefu (why is that?). I realize a two would win the game but they left 3 back to guard two. That is why he was so wide open. You can see he is unguarded after he inbounds the ball and moves down court. Hicks runs off of Ochefu but WAY too late. Bad, VERY bad coaching or a player did not get his assignment right.

Nova is the better team, that is all. Actually they should have won by at least 10, but they called off the offense a tad too early and missed some free throws to create the ending. UNC took advantage of the NOVA "rest".

Nova is the better team, that is all. Actually they should have won by at least 10, but they called off the offense a tad too early and missed some free throws to create the ending. UNC took advantage of the NOVA "rest".

IF they played ten times it would go 6-4, 5-5 or 4-6.

It almost made you think he had taken the UNDER and knew the three pointer that won it for 'Nova also made the OVER a winner!

Or maybe just thinking how hard it'll be to replace Ryan A next year.....that kid is a gamer: doesn't miss open shots, handles the ball well (1 turnover this weekend?), plays great individual AND team defense, hustles his butt off.

lemme tell ya... if you listened to the unc feed, EVERY call that went against unc was stupid silly and... stupid some more. nova got away with hacking the crap outta the baby blues and should have been put in jail with the rest of the duke lacrosse team.

it was an eye opener. i imagine every fan does the same thing.

IF they played ten times it would go 6-4, 5-5 or 4-6.

I think it would be more like 8-2 Nova. They are more athletic, faster, shoot better, better coached AND just as deep. The best player on the floor is Hart the best point guard Arch, the best Big Ochefu. Stop fooling yourself. I predicted this win !!
I am by no means an expert but I was a Head BB Coach in the Philadelphia Public League for 14 years, so I have some idea.
The best thing about the game is that these were "college" kids as far as talent goes. Hart and Ochefu are maybe NBA guys, other than that no one else. No one on the UNC team. Nova is 10 points better.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
It almost made you think he had taken the UNDER and knew the three pointer that won it for 'Nova also made the OVER a winner!

Or maybe just thinking how hard it'll be to replace Ryan A next year.....that kid is a gamer: doesn't miss open shots, handles the ball well (1 turnover this weekend?), plays great individual AND team defense, hustles his butt off.

Ryan is already replaced as is Ochefu for next year. They will be REALLY good next year as well. Actually, deeper.

Ryan is already replaced as is Ochefu for next year. They will be REALLY good next year as well. Actually, deeper.

I'm not sure Brunson or Booth can replace Arch...especially from a leadership standpoint. And isn't Ochefu being replaced by a freshman? I'd love to agree with you but I'm not so sure. You are more in tune with the recruiting aspect so I'd love to hear who starts next year and why you think they will be better. Thanks

I'm not sure Brunson or Booth can replace Arch...especially from a leadership standpoint. And isn't Ochefu being replaced by a freshman? I'd love to agree with you but I'm not so sure. You are more in tune with the recruiting aspect so I'd love to hear who starts next year and why you think they will be better. Thanks
Brunson, Booth, Jenkins, Hart, Paschall (transfer who was A10 frehman of the year), Bridges, Reynolds and Omari Spellman 6'8 top 20 recruit. There's your 8 deep assuming Hart and Jenkins stay.

Actually, Brunson will be better than Arch. Brunson is a 5 star recruit and an outstanding point guard. Very smart, leadership no problem, that is probably his best asset. He was out of position with Arch on the floor. Next year he will be THE point with Booth as the 2. Bench will be deeper than this year. Team will be bigger and deeper.

Last edited:
Actually, Brunson will be better than Arch. Brunson is a 5 star recruit and an outstanding point guard. Very smart, leadership no problem, that is probably his best asset. He was out of position with Arch on the floor. Next year he will be THE point with Booth as the 2. Bench will be deeper than this year. Team will be bigger and deeper.
Right about Brunson. Given Arch's vast improvement in all facets of his game over the last four years, people forget that as a freshman and sophomore he struggled some and was heavily criticiized in some places. Brunson had a far better freshman season than Ryan A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT