ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: "The next step in PSU's evolution is a National Championship"

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...all-confidence-soars-james-franklin/98499124/

636238151356379823-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-ROSE-BOWL-GAME-PENN-STATE-VS-SO-87699814.JPG

As the Nittany Lions prepare for the start of spring practice in March, the next step in the program’s evolution is a national championship. Maybe confidence alone won’t bridge the gap from the Rose Bowl to a College Football Playoff national semifinal; it’s not as if Alabama, Clemson, the Buckeyes and Wolverines lack confidence, after all.

But other factors stand in the Nittany Lions’ corner. A full allotment of scholarships has dramatically improved depth across the board — Penn State is now three deep at every position, Franklin said. One year after holding one of the nation’s youngest rosters on the Power Five level, the 2017 Nittany Lions boast more senior leadership than at any point in the program’s post-sanction existence.

And there’s the offense. In overhauling Penn State’s philosophy — trading meat and potatoes for a 21st-century approach to attacking defenses — Moorhead brought the Nittany Lions’ offense to the forefront of the Big Ten in 2016. With a Heisman Trophycontender in running back Saquon Barkley in tow, along with a returning starter at quarterback and an improved offensive line, the offense might be even more productive come September.

“Everyone has always talked about what Penn State was. You know, 1982, 1986, national championships,” Franklin said. “I think for the first time in a very long time, these kids have people talking about what Penn State is. For the first time in a long time. To me, that’s a powerful deal.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...all-confidence-soars-james-franklin/98499124/

636238151356379823-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-ROSE-BOWL-GAME-PENN-STATE-VS-SO-87699814.JPG

As the Nittany Lions prepare for the start of spring practice in March, the next step in the program’s evolution is a national championship. Maybe confidence alone won’t bridge the gap from the Rose Bowl to a College Football Playoff national semifinal; it’s not as if Alabama, Clemson, the Buckeyes and Wolverines lack confidence, after all.

But other factors stand in the Nittany Lions’ corner. A full allotment of scholarships has dramatically improved depth across the board — Penn State is now three deep at every position, Franklin said. One year after holding one of the nation’s youngest rosters on the Power Five level, the 2017 Nittany Lions boast more senior leadership than at any point in the program’s post-sanction existence.

And there’s the offense. In overhauling Penn State’s philosophy — trading meat and potatoes for a 21st-century approach to attacking defenses — Moorhead brought the Nittany Lions’ offense to the forefront of the Big Ten in 2016. With a Heisman Trophycontender in running back Saquon Barkley in tow, along with a returning starter at quarterback and an improved offensive line, the offense might be even more productive come September.

“Everyone has always talked about what Penn State was. You know, 1982, 1986, national championships,” Franklin said. “I think for the first time in a very long time, these kids have people talking about what Penn State is. For the first time in a long time. To me, that’s a powerful deal.”

2017 is the year we need to make the run to the CFP and perhaps the National Title .... it's this year ... I'm not waiting for 2018 or future years with the 2017/2018 and future recruiting classes at full strength.

Everything is in place for 2017 - returning almost the entire team on both sides of the ball, returning superstars, returning coaches, more comfort and experience with an already proven offensive strategy and most importantly .... a group of players and coaches that seem to truly love and enjoy being with one another. They had a magical chemistry develop in 2016 and I think it can continue in 2017. There have been many very talented football teams including OSU (2015) and Michigan (2016) that had all the talent on paper to win a National title, but didn't have the special chemistry that the 2016 Nittany Lions had inside their locker room.

After 2017, all bets are off. I'm not saying we will return to 7-5 seasons and I fully believe we are beginning a new era of PSU football that will continue to have us in the national spotlight and playing for conference and hopefully, national titles. Miles Sanders and Ricky Slade may become superstars ... but will they ever become Saquon Barkely??? Will any of the current backup/future QB's develop the leadership/winning traits of Trace McSorley? Most of us are resigned to the probability of Joe Moorhead leaving for a promotion after 2017. Will the new offensive coordinator have the same knack/intuition for play calling that Moorhead has demonstrated that may be the difference between a 31-24 win against OSU/Michigan or a loss by the same score? There is another issue with Moorhead moving on that not many have thought about ... how many current assistant PSU coaches might he take along with him in a promotional role to form a new staff? What impact will those departing coaches have on recruiting and team chemistry?

Don't get me wrong .... I'm not predicting doom and gloom for the future of PSU, in fact, I am quite bullish. Yes, I know Franklin will continue to recruit strong classes and good coaches. I'm simply saying that all the pieces are in place for 2017 for a serious run at a National title. Let's go for it!

Not too bad. I would use the paper for this article as a fish wrapper.

Two things stick out. First and foremost, Franklin had the courage to get rid of his buddies he brought with him from Vandy. What worked at Vandy didn't work here. Second, you don't turn the corner on such crippling sanctions within one year of them being released. Anybody having two eyes and half a brain can see we can't run in the open field with a Ohiya State or a USC. That's what makes the 2016 season so remarkable. But I'm just preaching to the choir here. Ya'll know as much.

Winning is one thing. Long, sustained performance is another. So for CJF the jury is still out. At Penn State we should expect nothing less. This aint Pitt.
I thank you.

ZvaZDK.gif

In the thread about Barkley, this is a perfect point. PSU was not the focus of the college football world. So Barkley didn't get the preseason hype. I was surprised that people seemed to wake up to Barkley after the Rose Bowl...It was like "where have you people been?" Had we had that hype, we'd have been in the CFP and not tOSU. tOSU got that hype, we didn't. So they rode that momentum into the beauty contest and we got left at the alter. Its like the unheard of gymnist that just blows it out of the water at the Olympics and gets the Bronze behind the two hyped gymnasts that weren't as good in that competition.

Point is, this is good stuff. This is the kind of PR we need heading into 2017.

Ti858gk.gif

2017 is the year we need to make the run to the CFP and perhaps the National Title .... it's this year ... I'm not waiting for 2018 or future years with the 2017/2018 and future recruiting classes at full strength.

Everything is in place for 2017 - returning almost the entire team on both sides of the ball, returning superstars, returning coaches, more comfort and experience with an already proven offensive strategy and most importantly .... a group of players and coaches that seem to truly love and enjoy being with one another. They had a magical chemistry develop in 2016 and I think it can continue in 2017. There have been many very talented football teams including OSU (2015) and Michigan (2016) that had all the talent on paper to win a National title, but didn't have the special chemistry that the 2016 Nittany Lions had inside their locker room.

After 2017, all bets are off. I'm not saying we will return to 7-5 seasons and I fully believe we are beginning a new era of PSU football that will continue to have us in the national spotlight and playing for conference and hopefully, national titles. Miles Sanders and Ricky Slade may become superstars ... but will they ever become Saquon Barkely??? Will any of the current backup/future QB's develop the leadership/winning traits of Trace McSorley? Most of us are resigned to the probability of Joe Moorhead leaving for a promotion after 2017. Will the new offensive coordinator have the same knack/intuition for play calling that Moorhead has demonstrated that may be the difference between a 31-24 win against OSU/Michigan or a loss by the same score? There is another issue with Moorhead moving on that not many have thought about ... how many current assistant PSU coaches might he take along with him in a promotional role to form a new staff? What impact will those departing coaches have on recruiting and team chemistry?

Don't get me wrong .... I'm not predicting doom and gloom for the future of PSU, in fact, I am quite bullish. Yes, I know Franklin will continue to recruit strong classes and good coaches. I'm simply saying that all the pieces are in place for 2017 for a serious run at a National title. Let's go for it!

We currently have the #1 QB in the 2018 class verbaled to us. A top 3 running back. A top 5 wide receiver. Etc. With the way Franklin is recruiting, you're going to have a stacked depth chart with fully mature talent starting as upperclassmen except for the wildly talented exceptions (a Barkley). Maybe you won't have a Barkley, but superstars will emerge at other positions. Maybe the next Courtney Brown. Maybe a superstar corner back.

This program is going to be a power going forward. They will have some up and down years (occasional 4 loss season or whatever)....but we are going to be in the conversation most years going forward.

Last edited:
I think this article was supposed to be about Pitt, someone obviously messed up and will likely be fired. With the team speed they have returning, and a defensive genius as a coach, they likely will get 2, if not 3 of the playoff spots this year.
Detox.

Two things stick out. First and foremost, Franklin had the courage to get rid of his buddies he brought with him from Vandy. What worked at Vandy didn't work here. Second, you don't turn the corner on such crippling sanctions within one year of them being released. Anybody having two eyes and half a brain can see we can't run in the open field with a Ohiya State or a USC. That's what makes the 2016 season so remarkable. But I'm just preaching to the choir here. Ya'll know as much.

Winning is one thing. Long, sustained performance is another. So for CJF the jury is still out. At Penn State we should expect nothing less. This aint Pitt.
I thank you.
Sorry, but the jury is not still out for me. The jury is long gone home. CJF is the real deal and there isn't a scintilla of doubt about it in my mind.

Sorry, but the jury is not still out for me. The jury is long gone home. CJF is the real deal and there isn't a scintilla of doubt about it in my mind.

USED CAR SALESMAN!

Now Narduzzi on the other hand is a bona fide defensive genius, who has definitely proven himself to be the best coach in CFB by obtaining the same mediocre record 2 years in a row in the easiest P5 division. Sure to the rest of the world two of their 2016 wins were about as lucky as could be, but that is just what he wants you to think... he's that good.

Nice to see articles like that but did you click on the preseason top 25? OSU #3, UM #4, PSU #8. PSU needs another B1G title to keep the momentum going and to arrest the love fest for OSU & UM.

I thank you.

I already regret responding to one of your posts but just curious how it's obvious we can't run with Ohio State and USC? We BEAT Ohio State and were in great shape to beat USC and scored 49 points. If that's your definition of "can't run with someone" I sure hope we can't run with every team on our schedule.

Nice to see articles like that but did you click on the preseason top 25? OSU #3, UM #4, PSU #8. PSU needs another B1G title to keep the momentum going and to arrest the love fest for OSU & UM.
It's an irrelevant ranking. I think ESPN has us 5 and UM not even in the top 10.

I already regret responding to one of your posts but just curious how it's obvious we can't run with Ohio State and USC? We BEAT Ohio State and were in great shape to beat USC and scored 49 points. If that's your definition of "can't run with someone" I sure hope we can't run with every team on our schedule.
If anything, OSU can't run with us. We beat them and we hadn't even really started clicking on offense at that point.

Reactions: Madsol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT