ADVERTISEMENT

US vs Honduras

BisbeeMike

Jul 6, 2017
Can't find it on television but at the moment Honduras leads 1-0. If Panama wins tonight, the US, if the qualifying ended today, would not make the World Cup. Hoping for a US comeback tonight.

Can't find it on television but at the moment Honduras leads 1-0. If Panama wins tonight, the US, if the qualifying ended today, would not make the World Cup. Hoping for a US comeback tonight.

Bein sports channel.

We honestly don't belong in the World Cup. We aren't good enough. One of Sweden or the Netherlands isn't going to make the Cup because they were placed in a group with France. That's not fair. Meanwhile we can't beat Costa Rica at home and are losing to a really bad Honduras at the half. Maybe what US Soccer needs to get its' collective head out of its' ass would be to miss a Cup. What we are doing isn't working.

We honestly don't belong in the World Cup. We aren't good enough. One of Sweden or the Netherlands isn't going to make the Cup because they were placed in a group with France. That's not fair. Meanwhile we can't beat Costa Rica at home and are losing to a really bad Honduras at the half. Maybe what US Soccer needs to get its' collective head out of its' ass would be to miss a Cup. What we are doing isn't working.

At this point I'm prone to agree with you. It does not look like we have any business in Russia playing this sport. We simply are not good enough. What a disappointment though.

We need to lock these clowns in an indoor facility and have them play futsal until they puke day after day. The ball control shown by 75% of the team is atrocious.

Omar Gonzalez, think that is his name, center back, is ****ing terrible. When he isnt giving up gift goals, he's turning it over.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
We need to lock these clowns in an indoor facility and have them play futsal until they puke day after day. The ball control shown by 75% of the team is atrocious.

It goes so far past that it is hard to even quantify. We don't have our best athletes playing the game. We don't have a true professional league based on promotion/relegation. We can't get our nation's coaches association to work with our national soccer federation for the betterment of the game. The state of our youth coaching is inept. Its completely results based instead of development based and on and on.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
It goes so far past that it is hard to even quantify. We don't have our best athletes playing the game. We don't have a true professional league based on promotion/relegation. We can't get our nation's coaches association to work with our national soccer federation for the betterment of the game. The state of our youth coaching is inept. Its completely results based instead of development based and on and on.

And yet one of the top young players in Europe is an American. But this team isn't good. The fact that Beasley is out there and that idiot Bruce Arena is still our coach goes to show how bad we are.

But there is hope, there is more hope now than ever before.

And yet one of the top young players in Europe is an American. But this team isn't good. The fact that Beasley is out there and that idiot Bruce Arena is still our coach goes to show how bad we are.

But there is hope, there is more hope now than ever before.

That player went to Europe and developed. He also had multiple opportunities to train with European clubs as a youth. Our developmental model in this country is a mess.

That player went to Europe and developed. He also had multiple opportunities to train with European clubs as a youth. Our developmental model in this country is a mess.

That Player? We have players at PSG, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Shalke, Bournemouth, Stuttgart, Huddersfield and many many more.

I don't disagree that it is a mess, but we have more players at youth academies at big European clubs than ever before.

Bobby Wood scores in the 85th minute. Finish after a free kick after Public got mauled. This obviously would be huge point. Still not a strong performance.

whoever said that we don't have any ball skills is dead on.....the US continually gives up possession like its the 1990s again

I have always maintained that the USA should have top notch defending because defending is primarily about maintaining your positioning and that does not involve foot skills at all....there is no reason that the USA should not be able to find guys who are athletic and smart enough that they can figure out positional defending

Reactions: LionJim

Tonight was the real disappointment, much moreso than Costa Rica. Don't forget in the 2014 World Cup, Costa Rica beat Uruguay and Italy, drew against England, beat Greece on penalty kicks in the round of 16 and took Netherlands to penalty kicks in the quarterfinals. No shame in struggling against them.

Honduras...that has to be 3 points, not squeaking out 1 in the last 10 minutes.

Tonight was the real disappointment, much moreso than Costa Rica. Don't forget in the 2014 World Cup, Costa Rica beat Uruguay and Italy, drew against England, beat Greece on penalty kicks in the round of 16 and took Netherlands to penalty kicks in the quarterfinals. No shame in struggling against them.

Honduras...that has to be 3 points, not squeaking out 1 in the last 10 minutes.

It was the way we lost and at home that was so disappointing. We posed no threat to Costa Rica, made terrible defensive and GK errors and could not figure out the simple tactics they employed.

It really is a joke --- UEFA is rather unforgiving, whereas CONCACAF is unbelievably forgiving. The US still controls their own destiny!

I'm trying to imagine what CONCACAF qualifying is going to look like with a 48-team World Cup. An 8-team final group where 6 teams qualify? Sounds, uh, non-compelling.

That Player? We have players at PSG, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Shalke, Bournemouth, Stuttgart, Huddersfield and many many more.

I don't disagree that it is a mess, but we have more players at youth academies at big European clubs than ever before.

What do any of those players have to do with the failures of US Soccer? The European clubs have upped their game and recruit talent from all over the world. Has that helped us succeed on the national level? You are correct. We have young talent now playing all over Europe. And yet we are barely going to qualify for the Cup and can't get past the quarterfinal stage even at the youth level? That's tough to explain.

What do any of those players have to do with the failures of US Soccer? The European clubs have upped their game and recruit talent from all over the world. Has that helped us succeed on the national level? You are correct. We have young talent now playing all over Europe. And yet we are barely going to qualify for the Cup and can't get past the quarterfinal stage even at the youth level? That's tough to explain.
A lot of the young talent in Europe is still a cycle away (at least). A big part of the current core is still dual-nationals, with guys that came up thru the NCAA ranks and some project 2010 leftovers. As we move forward, we will see more guys that came up in Euro academies and even the domestic academies that should have a better structure than the old model.

Youth level doesn't mean much. Germany lost to Mali and Zambia in the last two U20 world cups. That being said, I don't think making it to the Quarter Finals is a bad thing considering it is only 8 teams that make it. And we have made it at least there for the past two U20s. Further, U17s mean nothing.

To me, the biggest problem is Bruce Arena. The guy is a total moron who plays boring and favors older/MLS players.
My distain for him runs deep and I was absolutely disgusted when they brought him back.

Reactions: hilo

Pro/rel doesn't improve the play of players any. All it does is cause clubs to go bankrupt.

Mexico doesn't really have pro/rel either. They use a playoff system, like MLS, to determine their champion, and one of the recent times when a team was relegated it was folded--and the promoted team was purchased by the owner and moved to the relegated team's city and took over the nickname and colors.

Look at the two recent US games. Urena, who scored a pair for Costa Rica? San Jose Earthquakes of MLS. Ouioto, who scored for Honduras? Houston Dynamo of MLS. The lack of relegation did not hurt them any.

MLS has improved not only the play in the US but also the play elsewhere in CONCACAF, as players in those other countries (less Mexico) have a lot more opportunity to play soccer at a higher level and for more money than in their home country. The best of those now get noticed and have a chance to move to better leagues--for example Giancarlo Gonzales, who plays for Bologna in Serie A. He made his mark in Columbus and then transferred to Palemo for a big fee.

Youth level doesn't mean much. Germany lost to Mali and Zambia in the last two U20 world cups. That being said, I don't think making it to the Quarter Finals is a bad thing considering it is only 8 teams that make it. And we have made it at least there for the past two U20s. Further, U17s mean nothing.

To me, the biggest problem is Bruce Arena. The guy is a total moron who plays boring and favors older/MLS players.
My distain for him runs deep and I was absolutely disgusted when they brought him back.
Given the situation, it's not unusual to bring in an old hand to "steady the ship". I had no problem with this. The point is to qualify. Then you can figure the rest out.

I can't agree more. The Brazilians start their kids early on futsal. Kind of works for them. I play once a week and my ball control had improved significantly in my 40s.

Always fun watching US MNT play 90 minutes of kick and run. Good grief that was tough to watch last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT