ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective on UM, OSU, PSU

Just my two cents. Michigan is simply hot at the moment. As you stated prior to last years run they where Mediocre imho and psu has beaten them. No I don’t think there head and shoulders above psu. I look for payback next year at beaver. They have automatically been anointed as the second coming of Alabama and I hope that ends FAST
I am pretty sure michigans offensive line loses a lot and psu defense will be more comfortable.
Got a feeling that the roles will be reversed with two backs having big games.

I am pretty sure michigans offensive line loses a lot and psu defense will be more comfortable.
Got a feeling that the roles will be reversed with two backs having big games.
I'm not so sure about that. They will lose OC Oluwatimi and LT Hayes who I think are out of eligibility (barring covid years of which I am unsure). There is also a chance RG Zinter opts for the draft and would be a mid round selection. So maybe 40% to 60% of their starters return.

I think they'll probably lose NT Smith and Edge Okie from their dline so 50% of their starters on dline.

Ohio St may actually lose more of their OL than Michigan. I think they lose RG Jones and RT Dawand. LT Johnson is a likely first round pick and was rated higher in several mock drafts than Fashanu was. I'm seeing OC Wypler as a 3rd round guy so he could decide to go as well.

I think Ohio St loses DT Vincent and DE Harrison as well (may come back but projected 2nd to 3rd round).

Meanwhile we could lose Scruggs and Effner (doubt he starts barring injuries next year). Our dline will lose PJ and maybe Tarburton (likely to be passed over) and possibly Isaac (but is only late round projection right now).

Reactions: brupsu
The biggest difference between PSU and Michigan and OSU is that PSU hasn’t had a difference maker at QB.
Michigan hasn't and still doesn't. McCarthy played well against OSU (although those WR were so open, I think I could have completed those passes) but the rest of the year, he was pedestrian. Maybe he turns into the 5 star "difference maker" that OSU has had, but he isn't there yet.

Michigan hasn't and still doesn't. McCarthy played well against OSU (although those WR were so open, I think I could have completed those passes) but the rest of the year, he was pedestrian. Maybe he turns into the 5 star "difference maker" that OSU has had, but he isn't there yet.
Agree, I think it was more about the OSU DBs than McCarthy. Most of those passes he completed were to completely wide open WRs

Reactions: PSU2UNC
The Line of Scrimmage is still important no matter how many 5 stars you have at receiver and QB.
Agree. the UM OL, I believe, won the award for best total OL in 2021 and returned almost everyone.

When the QB is great. When you have two great RBs. When you have great WRs and TEs.....it is really about having a great offensive line.

Michigan has difference makers at the LOS on both sides of the ball, which through osmosis gives them a mental edge -- they play physical, test you to see if you can punch back, and they don't deviate from their plan. OSU couldn't match their physicality in 2021, and PSU sure hasn't for awhile now. Michigan doesn't ask JJ to be a 5-star qb in the form that we see across the nation, throwing for 4 td's per game and lighting up the scoreboard. He still finished the year with 17 td's and 2 ints...completing 65 % of his passes. That is exactly what Jim wants from his qb...few mistakes, smart with the football. He doesn't *look* like the heralded QB's because he is in a system that doesn't require you to sling it all over the place...but as a first year starter, he led Michigan to it's first undefeated regular season in decades. Pretty solid.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Michigan has difference makers at the LOS on both sides of the ball, which through osmosis gives them a mental edge -- they play physical, test you to see if you can punch back, and they don't deviate from their plan. OSU couldn't match their physicality in 2021, and PSU sure hasn't for awhile now. Michigan doesn't ask JJ to be a 5-star qb in the form that we see across the nation, throwing for 4 td's per game and lighting up the scoreboard. He still finished the year with 17 td's and 2 ints...completing 65 % of his passes. That is exactly what Jim wants from his qb...few mistakes, smart with the football. He doesn't *look* like the heralded QB's because he is in a system that doesn't require you to sling it all over the place...but as a first year starter, he led Michigan to it's first undefeated regular season in decades. Pretty solid.
I agree, but the OP was suggesting that "elite QB play" was what put Michigan over the top.

I think Clifford would have done just as well as McCarthy in UM's offense this year. That was my point (that the UM success WASN'T due to QB play).

Reactions: scrivener
2. The weak spot on OSU's whole team is the DB's. They need a new DB coach/approach.

No, there's no simple answer to why Ohio State couldn't stop Michigan. Michigan's offense is balanced, hugely physical, talented everywhere - no weaknesses. McCarthy is the best QB they've had in a really long time. They can run between the tackles, they can run outside, McCarthy can run, they have great TE, great receivers, they can throw deep and short, and they have a good scheme and good play calling. They were significantly better than OSU even without Blake Corum who might be the best TB in the country.

Yeah the OSU secondary isn't great but it was just easier to see their failings -- in fact Ohio State had problems all over the field. Michigan was just too much for them. Their only path to victory was for their own offense to be dominant and they weren't.

I agree, but the OP was suggesting that "elite QB play" was what put Michigan over the top.

I think Clifford would have done just as well as McCarthy in UM's offense this year. That was my point (that the UM success WASN'T due to QB play).
Check out this week's FortheBlogy analysis on Clifford. Clifford has odd limitations -- sometimes he just isn't in the game mentally. I certainly don't mean lack of effort. But in the passing game he really just struggles sometimes -- maybe because he tries so hard. You usually get 2 good quarters from Cliff, and sometimes that's not enough.

Yes, McCarthy is playing behind an incredible OL, but in the two games I saw him he really looked sharp for 4 quarters.

The biggest difference between PSU and Michigan and OSU is that PSU hasn’t had a difference maker at QB.
well that and PSU's OL is not in the same class right now -- though undoubtedly improving. Remember against PSU, Michigan just owned the LOS on both sides of the ball.

No, there's no simple answer to why Ohio State couldn't stop Michigan. Michigan's offense is balanced, hugely physical, talented everywhere - no weaknesses. McCarthy is the best QB they've had in a really long time. They can run between the tackles, they can run outside, McCarthy can run, they have great TE, great receivers, they can throw deep and short, and they have a good scheme and good play calling. They were significantly better than OSU even without Blake Corum who might be the best TB in the country.

Yeah the OSU secondary isn't great but it was just easier to see their failings -- in fact Ohio State had problems all over the field. Michigan was just too much for them. Their only path to victory was for their own offense to be dominant and they weren't.
It's been PUTRID the last few years and that's being kind. Ryan Day is under extreme pressure to finally fix it. Michigan is really good but a huge part of the results last Saturday can be pointed to the OSU shortcomings on defense

No doubt, UM is talented and played very well against OSU. On the flip side OSU did not and made any number of bone-headed mistakes that cost them. I want to see Michigan play Georgia. Then we will know the deal.

.but as a first year starter, he led Michigan to it's first undefeated regular season in decades. Pretty solid.
The Spoilermakers would like a word. Purdue is 3-0 under Jeff Brohm when unranked and facing a top 5 opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT