ADVERTISEMENT

Two quick thoughts/observations on the D:

The big problem against Ohio State is going to be Campbell and Dixon on the outside on the wide receiver screens: Our corners could net get off blocks and 4 has no chance in space. They could go 80 yards in 3 plays just using those wide receiver screens alone, without any run action off it either.

I don't think they're saving anything when App State takes you to OT and Illinois is beating you in the 3rd qtr.
The App State overtime thing was far more comprehendible than the Illinois beating you in the third quarter thing. Still, this team is very very odd, in that they can score points in bunches. Nobody is going to score in bunches on Ohio State however, so they'll need to play 4 quarters and so far they have not come close to doing that.

Our LB situation this season remains a problem. How much of it was not recruiting the players we needed and how much of it was not developing the people we have is a question. We have a number of young and /or inexperienced LB’s. These players need time, time in practice with coaches, time in games. I don’t attend practices, but I wonder how much time Pry has to devote to these players as both DC and LB coach. A number of these players are learning the position for the first time, which means they require more time and effort to develop. Where does the time come from ?

The big problem against Ohio State is going to be Campbell and Dixon on the outside on the wide receiver screens: Our corners could net get off blocks and 4 has no chance in space. They could go 80 yards in 3 plays just using those wide receiver screens alone, without any run action off it either.
Yes, Ohio State is very good at that and those plays can turn into long gainers in a hurry with their speed. And this PSU defense has struggled against the play.

This game is definitely a challenge/marking point for the defense. Can they make enough stops to keep PSU in the game. If it's close late in the 4tth, gotta like Trace and the home crowd to pull it out.

Shedding blocks is 1a, 1b, and 1c. Our LBs just can't seem to do it.

Bingo. This exactly why Illinois looked like OSU running on PSU. Though it doesn't help that DL was also bad and couldn't eat up blocks to save their lives. The Middle of the D was constantly wide open all game and Illinois gashed it in the run game.

Reactions: PSU87
Bingo. This exactly why Illinois looked like OSU running on PSU. Though it doesn't help that DL was also bad and couldn't eat up blocks to save their lives. The Middle of the D was constantly wide open all game and Illinois gashed it in the run game.

To be fair, the Illinois offense had very little success after their 1st drive of the 3rd quarter.

To be fair, the Illinois offense had very little success after their 1st drive of the 3rd quarter.
One thing I noticed with our defensive alignments in the first half is that there was often a big hole in the middle before the play even started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
The problem with that, is if you take a quarter and a half off against Ohio State, you're going to be buried and the game is over.

Our LB situation this season remains a problem. How much of it was not recruiting the players we needed and how much of it was not developing the people we have is a question. We have a number of young and /or inexperienced LB’s. These players need time, time in practice with coaches, time in games. I don’t attend practices, but I wonder how much time Pry has to devote to these players as both DC and LB coach. A number of these players are learning the position for the first time, which means they require more time and effort to develop. Where does the time come from ?
The kids we missed on aren't exactly tearing it up either. Rivers was lost out there today against Old Dominion. We didn't target the right guys and we missed on the ones we targeted anyway. But we didn't help ourselves either because we didn't even try for any Juco's or grad transfers. Grad Transfers, in general, have been non existent for this program, other than that legacy who came in because his Dad called in a favor, and they found out he couldn't play at all on day one. We have the same problem now at linebacker that we had at offensive line. You just can't afford to miss too many times.

Ironically, Jan Johnson is our best linebacker and NOBODY recruited him other than Cael, lol. Is it too late to bring in Anthony Cassar and Nick Nevills?

Reactions: 83wuzme
The problem with that, is if you take a quarter and a half off against Ohio State, you're going to be buried and the game is over.

Yes, Ohio State is dangerous, but Penn State has now gone a full two years without "being buried" in a game. With Trace McSorley, Miles Sanders, and friends, the PSU offense can win a scorefest; I don't see a blowout, do you?

Why don't you tell us what OSU's nuts taste like? You act like OSU has zero warts. Their defensive stats, rushing and passing are worse than Penn State and their non conf included 3 of the worst teams in the country.
Penn State might not punt a single time Sat night.

Yes, Ohio State is dangerous, but Penn State has now gone a full two years without "being buried" in a game. With Trace McSorley, Miles Sanders, and friends, the PSU offense can win a scorefest; I don't see a blowout, do you?

We got buried at Michigan 49-10, so I assume you are speaking to each game since that one. No, we have not been buried. Do I see a blowout? Most likely, yes. Do you see any way Penn State stops that running game? Any way PSU can pressure Haskins? How in the world is Nick Scott going to tackle Parris Campbell on that wide receiver screen? He had trouble even getting in the picture against Illinois and when he did he was bumbling and bobbling a certain fumble recovery that cost us 7 points.

Farmer was a highly rated 4 star

We need a 320-330 DT to plug things up.

Their TCU win looks a lot less potent now that the Longhorns beat em as well. That TCU team caused problems for the Buckeyes. They are not without flaws. In fact, both of us are mirror images of each other: strong offenses, less than stellar defense.

I fully expect this to be a last team with the ball going for the win type of game.

Reactions: ralphster
A win would be huge but given the experience level we really only need to be competitive at this point for the program to sustain momentum. I want recruits and fans to get the full 4-quarter white-out game experience. Conference wins and playoff berths will come if we continue to recruit and get better. This game will have a huge audience.

Urban knows this game is pivotal and will do everything he can to make it a blowout, i.e., I don't expect a ball-control style of offense from OSU, even though keeping our offense off the field enhances their chances.

Givens.Kid has been a beast..
Agree. So needed. Not taking anything away from him but it made me think of the pain to PSU last nite from ILL and that was Roundtree.
Don't know how he has played in his other games but he was nearly a one man D last nite with 12 tackles (10 solo), 2 TFL, 1 sack (albeit a trip), 1 Pass Breakup. If that wasn't enough, watch the replay of Sanders 48yd TD and you'll see Roundtree #97, closing in on him around the 5 yd line.

Met his parents before the game. Nice folks. Didn't realize he was the man on Illinois' D.

Reactions: PSU73
collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com_files_2015_02_NS_05FRYHAYDEN3_60139_3450107.jpg
That's the point. The "head coach" of the defense (as Franklin likes to say) cannot be both Coordinator and a key position coach. It's too much to ask. We're missing a dedicated linebacker coach........to all those saying we missed on kids, that kids haven't panned out, etc, etc, yeah I get that but isn't that the point? A position coach has say in the kids that are brought in and the kids that are raised up. They live and die by their position's performance.

Is there disappointment around the kids we've brought in? (Check). Have we had kids who lost their way and moved out of the program? (Check). Pry is a good coordinator but if he was only evaluated on the LBs, he'd have a failing grade. As I've mentioned several times, give Pry the safeties and bring in a LB Coach!! The position is too important, it's the heart of the defense.

Maybe I'm spoiled but I've grown up watching Vanderlinden LBs dominate. We have plenty of athletes that can play the position and it is painfully obvious we haven't developed or even retained the kids we should have. You can face facts and improve or ignore them and continue struggling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT