ADVERTISEMENT

Two quick thoughts/observations on the D:

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
1) Don’t even want to think about where this team’s DT situation would be without Givens.
Kid has been a beast.
He’s been the best DL out there all three games he has played (IMO)...... they gotta’ find a couple other guys who can join him.

2) The knuckleheads who have been yapping about #36 “not belonging” are..... knuckleheads (not saying he’s a Paul Poz, but he is most certainly as competent as most of the LBers, if not moreso)

1) Don’t even want to think about where this team’s DT situation would be without Givens.
Kid has been a beast.
He’s been the best DL out there all three games he has played (IMO)...... they gotta’ find a couple other guys who can join him.

2) The knuckleheads who have been yapping about #36 “not belonging” are..... knuckleheads (not saying he’s a Paul Poz, but he is most certainly as competent as most of the LBers, if not moreso)
But, but, but.....he's not a 4star. Tuff for fan boys to figure it out.

Kid has been a beast.

I have no issue with #36. I do have issues with #6 and #7. Disappointing

Kid has been a beast.

Jan Johnson 2018 is night and day from 2017, but too many don't want to recognize that. My opinion is he's probably the most improved starter on defense.

I have no issue with #36. I do have issues with #6 and #7. Disappointing
#7 has made one play in 4 years when he got a qb sack on a blitz/rush when he came in unblocked. It may have been in the big10 championship game, but I am not sure. Otherwise, he has been MIA on any big plays such as tfl, ints, etc. for 4 years now.

Givens.Kid has been a beast..
Agree. So needed. Not taking anything away from him but it made me think of the pain to PSU last nite from ILL and that was Roundtree.
Don't know how he has played in his other games but he was nearly a one man D last nite with 12 tackles (10 solo), 2 TFL, 1 sack (albeit a trip), 1 Pass Breakup. If that wasn't enough, watch the replay of Sanders 48yd TD and you'll see Roundtree #97, closing in on him around the 5 yd line.

Agree. So needed. Not taking anything away from him but it made me think of the pain to PSU last nite from ILL and that was Roundtree.
Don't know how he has played in his other games but he was nearly a one man D last nite with 12 tackles (10 solo), 2 TFL, 1 sack (albeit a trip), 1 Pass Breakup. If that wasn't enough, watch the replay of Sanders 48yd TD and you'll see Roundtree #97, closing in on him around the 5 yd line.

Agreed that kid is a ball player.

Johnson is alright, and seems to be far ahead of every other linebacker getting playing time right now. That is a serious concern.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
#7 has made one play in 4 years when he got a qb sack on a blitz/rush when he came in unblocked. It may have been in the big10 championship game, but I am not sure. Otherwise, he has been MIA on any big plays such as tfl, ints, etc. for 4 years now.
He had a nice kick return last year at least ;)

Without Jan Johnson we don't get that run held to 5 yards. It goes for a score. At this time he is essential to this defense. Would like to see him make more TFLs.

IMHO, the LB'ers need to improve on: (1) making quick reads and getting into position to make the play (they are frequently out of position); and (2) shedding blocks, but that talent is there. Watching No. 11 go sideline to sideline is a real joy. He is fast as hell for a LB'er.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
IMHO, the LB'ers need to improve on: (1) making quick reads and getting into position to make the play (they are frequently out of position); and (2) shedding blocks, but that talent is there. Watching No. 11 go sideline to sideline is a real joy. He is fast as hell for a LB'er.
While having that kind of athleticism is great, a lot of plays at LB don’t require it. Jan Johnson has been playing well because he better understands the assignments and reads than our other LB’s.

Shedding blocks is 1a, 1b, and 1c. Our LBs just can't seem to do it.

Kid has been a beast.

Sounds to me like a shot at Robert Windsor, who has played well through four games, which I'm sure the staff would corroborate.

While having that kind of athleticism is great, a lot of plays at LB don’t require it. Jan Johnson has been playing well because he better understands the assignments and reads than our other LB’s.
No argument from me on that, Wuz, but you can see what the future portends for Parsons. He could be one of the great PSU linebackers.

Did anybody notice the two snaps where we lined up very tight, almost a 3-4 look with one of our DEs standing? We penetrated a run on one, and they threw a pass out of the other (think Koa dropped back in coverage and made the tackle).

Yep.... you got it.
You cracked the code, Gunsie/Miles.

Or maybe it’s some secret Illuminati code - letting the secret covens know it is time to re-emerge and purge the world of the abject stupid....... so ya’ might want to lay low for a while, just in case.

:confused:

You're a fat, old, clown.

The problem with the LBs is that they're not being developed. Can someone please explain to me why we have separate Safeties and Tight end coaches but not a specific LB coach? Just like our secondary suffered under Bradley, the LBs are now suffering under Pry. 4 defensive coaches and 5 offensive coaches. Pretty simple numbers.

Reactions: Nitknee
The problem with the LBs is that they're not being developed. Can someone please explain to me why we have separate Safeties and Tight end coaches but not a specific LB coach?

Coach Fry is listed as "DC/LB" ... seems that he is the LB coach.

Right. My point is DCs have a hard time doing both. Reread the post.

Most teams have an equal number of coaches on both sides of the ball or at least do not give the DC such an important position group. I've seen a lot of DCs also coach the safeties or if you have your full 5 coaches you'll have a codefensive coordinator coach a small position group like the safeties.

I'm going to get killed for this but a 5/4 split (yeah I know the 10th coach was added this year) suggests CJF deemphasizes defensive play especially with Pry coaching LBs.

Last edited:
The last time we saw dominant LB play was with Mauti / Hodges and before anyone mentions Cabinda / Bell, those guys weren't drafted and failed to make teams.

I never understood the hype around Farmer.

OK Stormin talk to me this time next year when we have "servicable" LBs instead of dominant ones.

What position group did Bradley coach again?

D line is playing well and so is Jan Johnson. The problem is the two other LB positions, particularly when 6 and 7 are in the game at the same time. 4 is a MAJOR, MAJOR liability and Franklin has a real issue on his hands because he anointed this kid all preseason and he simply can't play. At this point they need to keep him off the field and give him back the special teams role he had last year: He is a great kid with a great heart but he doesn't have the necessary hand-eye coordination to play defense.

The bottom line with LB’s is that we didin’t get the players we needed from 2015 to 2017. There was certainly some attrition, but it was more a matter of not getting the players that were needed.
In any normal PSU defense, even during the sanction years, players like Farmer and Brown would be 2nd or 3rd team and our current true freshmen would probably be redshirting.

When has there ever been hype around him?
Since he arrived almost. There’ve been many threads titled KOA FARMER, wondering when he’ll see the field; why don’t they use him more; is he ready to play LB; why isn’t he returning kicks.

This is something I’ve noticed over the last 4-5 years. It’s as if posters had great expectations for him. Maybe it was his name, Koa. I don’t know, but I’m not imagining it.

I'm not sure what most people expect. Georgia is supposed to be an awesome defense, yet here they are with 29 on them to Missouri who isn't supposed to be great and they got the ball with 6 minutes left.

Clemson gave up 26 to A&M while only scoring 28. That's with 4 DL that will be drafted in the top 40 or better.

Ohio State has given up points to everyone they have played. They have the 2nd best roster of talent as far as ratings go and the NFL has supported this.

The rules benefit offense now. Be happy that we have a great offense and aren't still playing the Kirk Ferentz game that produces two great seasons every 10 years. I don't care that Joe won 409 doing that. It doesn't work today.

Alabama is the current standard for great defense and they are doing it with the best coach presently and have had the best roster, bar none, for nearly 5-7 years straight. We have recruited near that level for maybe the past two years.

No argument from me on that, Wuz, but you can see what the future portends for Parsons. He could be one of the great PSU linebackers.

I honestly haven’t seen anything from him that would lead me to believe that at this point. He just looks like somebody playing out of position. I hope it kicks in for him soon, because we need it to happen as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure what most people expect. Georgia is supposed to be an awesome defense, yet here they are with 29 on them to Missouri who isn't supposed to be great and they got the ball with 6 minutes left.

Clemson gave up 26 to A&M while only scoring 28. That's with 4 DL that will be drafted in the top 40 or better.

Ohio State has given up points to everyone they have played. They have the 2nd best roster of talent as far as ratings go and the NFL has supported this.

The rules benefit offense now. Be happy that we have a great offense and aren't still playing the Kirk Ferentz game that produces two great seasons every 10 years. I don't care that Joe won 409 doing that. It doesn't work today.

Alabama is the current standard for great defense and they are doing it with the best coach presently and have had the best roster, bar none, for nearly 5-7 years straight. We have recruited near that level for maybe the past two years.

We have a winner.

I honestly haven’t seen anything from him that would lead me to believe that at this point. He just looks like somebody playing out of position. I hope it kicks in for him soon, because we need it to happen as quickly as possible.

I think he is a full year away from learning the position, at least in the way we have used him thus far. If we don't send him on a blitz vs OSU, I will be concerned. He's known for his ability to pressure QBs yet we got him playing sideline to sideline every snap.

Next week will tell the entire story. Either we are saving things for the Buckeyes or this staff is playing conservative with a defense they know isn't stout knowing the offense can carry the team.

I think he is a full year away from learning the position, at least in the way we have used him thus far. If we don't send him on a blitz vs OSU, I will be concerned. He's known for his ability to pressure QBs yet we got him playing sideline to sideline every snap.

Next week will tell the entire story. Either we are saving things for the Buckeyes or this staff is playing conservative with a defense they know isn't stout knowing the offense can carry the team.

I fear it’s the latter. I trust the staff. I just hope they are not wasting a talent by forcing a square peg into a round hole.
Linebacker is a touch position to play. Lots of responsibilities. It’s not for all players. Great linebackers can outperform better athletes at the position because of their instincts. It takes a lot of time to develop those instincts. I hope he gets there.

Yep.... you got it.
You cracked the code, Gunsie/Miles.

Or maybe it’s some secret Illuminati code - letting the secret covens know it is time to re-emerge and purge the world of the abject stupid....... so ya’ might want to lay low for a while, just in case.

:confused:
I hope you've been working on your takedown defense.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Either we are saving things for the Buckeyes or this staff is playing conservative with a defense they know isn't stout

I don't think they're saving anything when App State takes you to OT and Illinois is beating you in the 3rd qtr.

Coach Fry is listed as "DC/LB" ... seems that he is the LB coach.
collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com_files_2015_02_NS_05FRYHAYDEN3_60139_3450107.jpg

Last edited:
The last time we saw dominant LB play was with Mauti / Hodges and before anyone mentions Cabinda / Bell, those guys weren't drafted and failed to make teams.

Defending or making a case for college LB play can not be directly correlated to whether or not a player or players make it in the NFL.

Our LB play last year was pretty good at times, and the Cabinda/Bell combo won a B10 championship the year before. And that play was for better teams (teams that won more games) than any of the Mauti/Hodges teams. I'm a big fan of both of them, but if Mauti and Hodges had produced "dominant LB play" their teams would have won more games.

Last edited:
D line is playing well and so is Jan Johnson. The problem is the two other LB positions, particularly when 6 and 7 are in the game at the same time. 4 is a MAJOR, MAJOR liability and Franklin has a real issue on his hands because he anointed this kid all preseason and he simply can't play. At this point they need to keep him off the field and give him back the special teams role he had last year: He is a great kid with a great heart but he doesn't have the necessary hand-eye coordination to play defense.

I don't understand the Safety rotation and depth chart. Was Wade hurt last night? The only place I see Monroe is on special teams. And I know CJF has had positive things to say about Sutherland, who was on the field a lot last night, but for the most part he seems to only pile into the tackle pile... although I did see him make a nice open field stop in last night's game...

In the first half Parsons was getting blocked, caught inside in the wrong lane, and generally MIA. We know he is the future, but he's not setting the world on fire yet, so would the team be better with Farmer on the bench? I guess CJF just wants fresh players on the field until someone really wins the position.

I don't think they're saving anything when App State takes you to OT and Illinois is beating you in the 3rd qtr.

You don't think it's strange we never left our base 4-3 very often, even when they were gashing us? Even though their QB never showed a sign of beating us deep, we continued to play back.

There will be some different wrinkles vs OSU. Will they work? No clue.

ADVERTISEMENT