ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel & Food ideas

It's always great to hear about delicious food finds while traveling. I haven't had the chance to try the lasagna myself, but I did check out their website at www.junglevistahotel.com and it looks like they have a really cool eco-friendly vibe going on. Have you tried any other dishes at the hotel's restaurant? I always love getting recommendations from fellow foodies. And while we're on the topic of travel and food, does anyone have any other recommendations for must-try dishes or restaurants in the area? I'm always on the lookout for new culinary adventures.

Last edited:
If you ever find yourself 600' below the surface of the Pacific Ocean with 2400' of water still below you, I highly recommend the Officer's Wardroom of the USS Scranton for a culinary delight, although I hear Crew's Mess is great, too. My sub ride happened on Friday. I can't do this trip much better justice than this...

Good to see you had a harness!
That was all for show. They didn't hook that to anything. I think it was in case we wanted to stand on the top of the sail. We didn't have much time to cycle the civilians up and down the sail, so we just stuck our heads out the top, got the pic, and headed back down.

Links to 3 pieces of Hawaii advice in the other thread, so they don't get lost.

All u travelers....any advice on getting rid of airplane ear. 2 full days now. So bad.
Take a couple of benadryl and a couple of ibuprofen. These should relieve any swelling in your airways. Wait an hour or two, hold your nose while attempting to blow out your nose, relatively slowly and increase the pressure as needed. Stop and repeat until they click and give you relief.

I'm curious, what kind of plane were you on? Was it a prop?

Last edited:
Reactions: PAwrestling
giphy.gif

Take a couple of benadryl and a couple of ibuprofen. These should relieve any swelling in your airways. Wait an hour or two, hold your nose while attempting to blow out your nose, relatively slowly and increase the pressure as needed. Stop and repeat until they click and give you relief.

I'm curious, what kind of plane were you on? Was it a prop?
737 aisle seat

Going to Iceland end of August. I am interested in hearing about things to see that are not necessarily on the typical tourist list, and also, things you went to and felt the time would have been better spent elsewhere. We are only going for 5 days so limited to the south and west shores within 3 hours of Reykyavik. Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Creek Side
Going to Iceland end of August. I am interested in hearing about things to see that are not necessarily on the typical tourist list, and also, things you went to and felt the time would have been better spent elsewhere. We are only going for 5 days so limited to the south and west shores within 3 hours of Reykyavik. Thanks for any help.
We have a resident Iceland expert, @HOCKEYGOD11, who didn't steer me wrong, even when a suicidal sheep darted in front of our car. If you want to contact me via email I can share our itinerary, which I'd characterize as aggressive and which extends geographically beyond your scope, but which nevertheless contains a ton of places within your scope. tikk[at]tikk[dot]net.

You could also dig up that epic Suriano transfer thread. Lots of Icelandic nuggets in that.

Reactions: tikk10
More of a relocation than travel question. Any recommendations on good places to live in the Lehigh Valley? We’re considering a move there. Looking for places that are good for families, good schools, access to restaurants, culture, etc. Any insight on experiences working in LVHN a bonus!

Bourbon lovers in PA should order this one...
Larceny Barrell Proof
$65 is a great price on this beauty. It is batch C922 which is their best bottling ever. 126.6 proof monster is a caramel bomb. It has a unique peanut butter note on its long finish. This is a Heaven Hill Bottling for those that aren't familiar with it. Drink it neat if you can handle it. It's the best way to enjoy it. After your palate adjusts to the alcohol, the flavors explode in your mouth. The nose sets the table and the juice follows through. Buy Buy Buy.

Larceny Barrell Proof
$65 is a great price on this beauty. It is batch C922 which is their best bottling ever. 126.6 proof monster is a caramel bomb. It has a unique peanut butter note on its long finish. This is a Heaven Hill Bottling for those that aren't familiar with it. Drink it neat if you can handle it. It's the best way to enjoy it. After your palate adjusts to the alcohol, the flavors explode in your mouth. The nose sets the table and the juice follows through. Buy Buy Buy.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Larceny Barrell Proof
I'm sure it's good, but it's not a bourbon, by law. Here's a quote from the wiki linked below.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, codified under 27 CFR §5.22(b)(1)(i), states bourbon made for U.S. consumption[22] must be:
  • Produced in the U.S. and its Territories (Puerto Rico), as well as the District of Columbia[24]
  • Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[25]
  • Aged in new, charred oak containers[25]
  • Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[25]
  • Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[25]
  • Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

Larceny Barrell Proof
I picked up a bottle 6 weeks ago in NY. I highly recommend. It is one of the better wheated bourbons that you can actually find.

I'm sure it's good, but it's not a bourbon, by law. Here's a quote from the wiki linked below.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, codified under 27 CFR §5.22(b)(1)(i), states bourbon made for U.S. consumption[22] must be:
  • Produced in the U.S. and its Territories (Puerto Rico), as well as the District of Columbia[24]
  • Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[25]
  • Aged in new, charred oak containers[25]
  • Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[25]
  • Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[25]
  • Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

Has to be no higher than 125 proof going in, can be considerably higher coming out.

The angels get less alcohol than the rest of us. ;)
For example I recently picked up some Stagg that is 131 proof and a Willett Family Estate that is 133 proof.

It’s not technically bourbon by definition, but the Jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof releases are almost always great, and many are >130 proof.

Speaking of barrels... Several years ago a close friend of mine shared some of the "fuel" (aka white lightning) he was making. I used an apple pie recipe I liked, mixed up a batch, and put it in a small oak barrel (charred on the inside) I had received as a gift. I left it in there for 2 years, then put it in jars. I labeled the jars "bourbon apple pie". I'm sure I'm not the first person to try something like this, but I'd never had anything like it before or since. Hmm, I think I need to try this experiment again.

Larceny Barrell Proof
Got one comin!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT