ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Transfer OL Alan Herron commits to Penn State

You never know and I guess the staff has to roll the dice. But this kid is either going to be the proverbial diamond in the rough or outclassed at this level.

If the player is not surefire/established quality at another P5 school, then it is probably better to go for high risk/high reward like this player. Good chance of being a bust but maybe ends up as a steal.

We already have plenty of okay-ish options on the roster so I see no reason to get another P5 team's "not quite good enough" player for OL.

Like that he has two years of eligibility. Great size, probably needs S & C work. Any idea if he will arrive for spring practice?
Yep, the young man would probably get a big benefit from enrolling in January and diving right into Winter S&C. Haven't seen anything one way or the other, but why would he commit this early unless he planned to make the transition in early January and hit the ground running.....

But his profile shows he was a 2022 class recruit so it would seem he has a redshirt year available. Can't have enough 6'6" OT's on the roster to compete for playing time.....

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and dswartz
There are a number of much higher rated OL on our roster that have barely sniffed the field. If our staff was wrong about these players, what makes anyone think this OT is any better. #19 OT in the portal,!!! We'll see. Just looking at him you can tell he needs some serious time in the conditioning program (maybe 2 years) to compete in the Big!

• Haha
Reactions: Ian and JoeParulz
There are a number of much higher rated OL on our roster that have barely sniffed the field. If our staff was wrong about these players, what makes anyone think this OT is any better. #19 OT in the portal,!!! We'll see. Just looking at him you can tell he needs some serious time in the conditioning program (maybe 2 years) to compete in the Big!
on the other hand, one is both an academic and football All-American. Kid has a great list of offers from top flight schools.

But back to your point, we've had two very good tackles in Olu and Wallace. Sheldon has been good to. They have kind have been "blocking" (pardon the pun) playing time for the Fr.

Higher rated by who? The PSU coaching staff?

You met this player and evaluated him? No.

I'll go with the staff's evaluation.... Franklin believes he can help the team during a timetable that he discussed with the player. Great news. The fact that you are in the dark is consistent with your comments.

Last edited:

Who evaluated Olu Fashanu?

Reactions: GregInPitt
Higher rated by who? The PSU coaching staff?

You met this player and evaluated him? No.

I'll go with the staff's evaluation.... Franklin believes he can help the team during a timetable that he discussed with the player. Great news.
Yes, higher rated by the coaching staff since they received offers while in the Jr. year of high school, so the "staff must have rated them higher than this lad." Yet, a number of them haven't sniffed the field to date. Check out the staff's "prior evaluations of a number of OL still riding the pine after 3-4 years!!!

You think portal offers like this are going to keep us competitive with OSU or UM??? It hasn't done the trick in over 20 years. Neither school would give a sniff to some of these players JF offers. But, according to you, "the staff knows better."

Do some homework and look at all the OL we have taken that never panned out in the past rather than shooting from the hip again!

• Haha
Reactions: JoeParulz
Yes, higher rated by the coaching staff since they received offers while in the Jr. year of high school, so the "staff must have rated them higher than this lad." Yet, a number of them haven't sniffed the field to date. Check out the staff's "prior evaluations of a number of OL still riding the pine after 3-4 years!!!

You think portal offers like this are going to keep us competitive with OSU or UM??? It hasn't done the trick in over 20 years. Neither school would give a sniff to some of these players JF offers. But, according to you, "the staff knows better."

Do some homework and look at all the OL we have taken that never panned out in the past rather than shooting from the hip again!
Both are fair arguments but the OL has been better as of late, but I'll admit it's still not up to the level that we need. If we were to revisit this in 2 years, I doubt he sees a snap besides in garbage time.

You think portal offers like this are going to keep us competitive witt OSU or UM??? It hasn't done the trick in over 20 years The transfer portal hasn't been around for 20 years. A stupid statement.
Where did I say that? I didn't. Anyone that follows the team and recruiting knows that there are always players that are late to football and develop late. This young man seems to be in that category. He seemed to be an unknown coming out of H.S. but now had a large number of offers from very good programs.

Neither school would give a sniff to some of these players JF offers. But, according to you, "the staff knows better."
You don't know that. Different schools explore different players for different reasons. Yes, the staff knows better than YOU do. The top programs do tend to zero in on many of the same players but yes Franklin, and other coaches, do find players that contribute to their programs that were overlooked by other coaches and staffs.

Player evaluations for high school players are a projection and no coach can accurately project the exact progress of a young player. I don't have to do "homework" as I regularly follow recruiting. But you may need to look beyond the rankings of the "experts" and focus more on how Franklin and his staff have been early identifiers of talent. For example Justin Fields was offered first by Franklin and committed to PSU before he blew up and got offers from other top programs and committed to UGA. Same with Allar. Where in your brilliance was Franklin "shooting from the hip"??

And most here realize that the OL recruits are the hardest to project due to how much additional size they need from their H.S. frame to get to where they can excel as a B10 olinemen. Your blanket statements make you sound like the real hip shooter.

You think portal offers like this are going to keep us competitive with OSU or UM??? Franklin has not caught up all the way to OSU in recruiting, but there are other factors such as NIL and the fact that the programs are just run differently that contribute to that. The portal offers are just one tool in forming a team.

Newsflash: Michigan has been very successful in putting together a great Oline with the direct help of portal players.

So yes, portal player can help a team and if you've followed PSU you would know that players such as Tangelo, Dixon, Ebiketie, Nourzad and Chop Robinson came from the transfer portal and were big contributors to PSU's recent 10 win seasons.

You just sound like a cryer. Probably another gunsie that I'll be putting on "ignore".......

Last edited:

False. Clemson offered and wanted him. FSU offered Jared Verse out of Albany. OSU and UM both offer kids from lower level programs. Um had players from UMass and coastal Carolina last year. OSU the same.

Do some homework and tell me any program that does not have busts on the ol. Why do you think they sign 4 a year and 20 every 5 years? Do you think they all start at Alabama or Georgia?

Your next stupid point about talent evaluation goes down the toilet because um. OSU, Clemson, and Georgia offer a lot of the same players as psu.

The same coaches who evaluated Nate Bruce, Jimmy Christ, Brandan Brosnan, Alex Gellerstedt, CJ Thorpe, Bobby Martin, just to name a few. All of them "OL Busts."

I guess if you get one right once in a while we will be able to beat OSU and UM, but it hasn't happened yet!
Better go look at all the players that are transferring out of OSU so you can put them on a list of players that their coaching staff screwed up on their evaluations......... NEWSFLASH: Every top program makes many, many misses in their evaluations.

But the more cash that a program allows their coaches to throw at the top players the better chance a team has to win games. Works for Alabama. It's been that recipe for some time now in case you've been in a cave for 25 years.

Reactions: JoeParulz
Where did I say that? I didn't. Anyone that follows the team and recruiting knows that there are always players that are late to football and develop late. This young man seems to be in that category. He seemed to be an unknown coming out of H.S. but now had a large number of offers from very good programs.

Neither school would give a sniff to some of these players JF offers. But, according to you, "the staff knows better."
You don't know that. Different schools explore different players for different reasons. Yes, the staff knows better than YOU do. The top programs do tend to zero in on many of the same players but yes Franklin, and other coaches, do find players that contribute to their programs that were overlooked by other coaches and staffs.

Player evaluations for high school players are a projection and no coach can accurately project the exact progress of a young player. I don't have to do "homework" as I regularly follow recruiting. But you may need to look beyond the rankings of the "experts" and focus more on how Franklin and his staff have been early identifiers of talent. For example Justin Fields was offered first by Franklin and committed to PSU before he blew up and got offers from other top programs and committed to UGA. Same with Allar. Where in your brilliance was Franklin "shooting from the hip"??

And most here realize that the OL recruits are the hardest to project due to how much additional size they need from their H.S. frame to get to where they can excel as a B10 olinemen. Your blanket statements make you sound like the real hip shooter.

You think portal offers like this are going to keep us competitive with OSU or UM??? Franklin has not caught up all the way to OSU in recruiting, but there are other factors such as NIL and the fact that the programs are just run differently that contribute to that. The portal offers are just one tool in forming a team.

Newsflash: Michigan has been very successful in putting together a great Oline with the direct help of portal players.

So yes, portal player can help a team and if you've followed PSU you would know that players such as Tangelo, Dixon, Ebiketie, Nourzad and Chop Robinson came from the transfer portal and were big contributors to PSU's recent 10 win seasons.

You just sound like a cryer. Probably another gunsie that I'll be putting on "ignore".......
Until Franklin puts together a top 20 OL group in the country which he hasnt done in his career at PSU I'd say that we have the right to not trust his evaluations/development of O-Lineman.

Until Franklin puts together a top 20 OL group in the country which he hasnt done in his career at PSU I'd say that we have the right to not trust his evaluations/development of O-Lineman.
What exactly is a "top 20 OL group"?

It seems that the 2023 oline will put a couple of players into the NFL. Olu and likely one or two others will be in NFL camps next summer.

If you look at the OL recruiting the past couple of years PSU is surely has improved and it seems well within top 20.

2024 class (composite 247)
Cousins #2 IOL
Sexton #18 OT
Harbour #15 IOL
Boyer #44 OT

Williams #6 OT
Birchmeier #2 OT/OL
Onoh #20 OT
Donkoh #29 IOL who has gotten positive reviews so far

Shelton #12 OT
Nelson #1 JC OT
loane #26 IOL

The same coaches who evaluated Nate Bruce, Jimmy Christ, Brandan Brosnan, Alex Gellerstedt, CJ Thorpe, Bobby Martin, just to name a few. All of them "OL Busts."

I guess if you get one right once in a while we will be able to beat OSU and UM, but it hasn't happened yet!
Half of every class never contributes on the field and transfer out. Flipping a coin on pretty much every signee.

We sure like getting after those all Americans all the time but this wasn’t Ivy League this was division 2 man Franklin will do anything won’t he

We sure like getting after those all Americans all the time but this wasn’t Ivy League this was division 2 man Franklin will do anything won’t he

A lot of high profile teams liked him. Unlike a lot of the foreign, coming from non-Football type countries kids, perhaps he made the right decision and went low enough to begin with that somebody taught him how to play vs just being a freak athlete and getting lost in translation at a bigger school.

W

No offense but I will go with the staff’s evaluations over yours. By the way, the portal hasn’t been in existence “for over 20 years”. Kid had offers from Auburn, Clemson, Miami, etc.

Let me know how many All American offensive linemen are in the portal. Last I checked kids in high school aren’t playing Ivy League football either but coaches evaluate and recruit them. Some of his other offers included Miami, Auburn, Clemson, NC State, etc. Do you stay up at night thinking of new ways to rip Franklin?

Reactions: royboy and LMTLION
Half of every class never contributes on the field and transfer out. Flipping a coin on pretty much every signee.
That may be true in some classes. But, posters have said that JF evaluated Herron and made the offer. When he evaluated Gellerstedt, one criteria he liked about him was his "Big Hands and a Big Head." You have to admit we have had more failures with OL recruiting than a ton of other schools. The ones mentioned were just a few off the top of my head.

Not directed at you, but may be Herron has a "Big Head."

JF also raved over Meiga a few years back; however, he has barley seen the field in 4 years. Also, JF said that Irv Charles was the best WR he ever coached.

Do you think JF's evaluation of talent is somewhat lacking as the reason we will remain 3rd in the Big 10 at best. OSU and UM wouldn't even bat a eye at some of these kids JF offers.

Please ignore if you "can't handle the truth." Get a girlfriend and get laid rather than spending 18 hrs. a day on this board. I post facts and love PSU football, but other teams are killing us with the Transfer Portal and evaluation of talent.

Visit me again in 2/3 years since you are the "Board Attacker." I posted my opinion of this offer/commitment. If I am wrong I will certainly be man enough to admit to you personally that I was. Be a man once in your life and do the same!

And the greatest of all time….Sterling Jenkins.

OL Performance is certainly not the strong point of recent Franklin teams.

To be fair, there has been some bad luck involved; Nana Asiedu and Landon Tangwell looked like very promising prospects. Asiedu never took the field and Tangwell had just half a season of play on the field before retiring.

We'll see also how a good O-Coordinator may be able to make better use of the OL that he has.

Better go look at all the players that are transferring out of OSU so you can put them on a list of players that their coaching staff screwed up on their evaluations......... NEWSFLASH: Every top program makes many, many misses in their evaluations.

But the more cash that a program allows their coaches to throw at the top players the better chance a team has to win games. Works for Alabama. It's been that recipe for some time now in case you've been in a cave for 25 years.

Wouldn't he want to sign all the players that transfer out of OSU since their staff does such a great job evaluating talent? Sarcasm

Reactions: GregInPitt
Please ignore if you "can't handle the truth." Get a girlfriend and get laid rather than spending 18 hrs. a day on this board. I post facts and love PSU football, but other teams are killing us with the Transfer Portal and evaluation of talent.

Visit me again in 2/3 years since you are the "Board Attacker." I posted my opinion of this offer/commitment. If I am wrong I will certainly be man enough to admit to you personally that I was. Be a man once in your life and do the same!
You seem to be confusing your out of touch fairy tales with "truth". It takes more like 18 seconds to disprove your stupid posts, fortunately, as I don't spend 18 hrs a day on this board. More of your out of touch opinions. I'm not an attacker. I don't call idiots idiots. But I'll admit that you were wrong in telling me to "do my homework" and the rest of your attacking stupidity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT