ADVERTISEMENT

Tough Mountain to Climb for the Hawks

clucas

Jan 20, 2004
Nashville, TN
Iowa really needs to place all their wrestle-back guys (Gilman, Cooper, and Meyer) in 3rd and probably win three of their four finals to have a shot. Their head-to-heads with Penn State are crucial and they will not be favored in either (although you could make an argument that Zain vs. Sorenson is a toss-up). Cory Clark and Zane Richards is a true toss-up with Richards owing a January sudden victory win over Clark. Brooks and Dudley is a toss-up as well. Nico won't be favored at 125 vs. Tomasello and Jimmy won't be favored vs. Ashnault. Finally, Bo Nickal is a favorite to win vs. Brunson.

Two of six finalist winners without bonus is an additional 8 pts. for Penn State (not including bonus). To make up a 35 pt. deficit in this scenario (current 27 pt. lead plus 8 pts. from 2 finalist winners), Iowa would need to place all of their guys in consys third (all of them with bonus in both matches) and win at least 3 of their 4 final matches to overtake Penn State. This also would assume that Jordan Conaway and Matt McCutcheon score no more points in the wrestle-backs which is highly unlikely (Conaway has already beaten Montoya).

Impossible....no, but it's a mountain to climb of Everest proportions.

Reactions: NJ Lion
If Clark/Richards is considered a toss up (I agree), why wouldn't Nico/NaTo be as well?

Iowa really needs to place all their wrestle-back guys (Gilman, Cooper, and Meyer) in 3rd and probably win three of their four finals to have a shot. Their head-to-heads with Penn State are crucial and they will not be favored in either (although you could make an argument that Zain vs. Sorenson is a toss-up). Cory Clark and Zane Richards is a true toss-up with Richards owing a January sudden victory win over Clark. Brooks and Dudley is a toss-up as well. Nico won't be favored at 125 vs. Tomasello and Jimmy won't be favored vs. Ashnault. Finally, Bo Nickal is a favorite to win vs. Brunson.

Two of six finalist winners without bonus is an additional 8 pts. for Penn State (not including bonus). To make up a 35 pt. deficit in this scenario (current 27 pt. lead plus 8 pts. from 2 finalist winners), Iowa would need to place all of their guys in consys third (all of them with bonus in both matches) and win at least 3 of their 4 final matches to overtake Penn State. This also would assume that Jordan Conaway and Matt McCutcheon score no more points in the wrestle-backs which is highly unlikely (Conaway has already beaten Montoya).

Impossible....no, but it's a mountain to climb of Everest proportions.

Thanks for the update. WE ARE...

If Clark/Richards is considered a toss up (I agree), why wouldn't Nico/NaTo be as well?
Well, if we really want to get down to it, all the finals match-ups are toss-ups. NaTo is the returning National Champ and has already beaten Nico. I believe Nico can pull the upset but there's no question that NaTo is favored. This is purely my opinion, but I don't think Richards is as much of a favorite to beat Clark as NaTo is to beat Nico....but, we're talking a razor slim margin of difference in comparing the matches.

I predict, and I'm serious, there will be a push to eliminate bonus points in Folkstyle.
Everybody will be forced to wrestle "Iowa Style".

I predict, and I'm serious, there will be a push to eliminate bonus points in Folkstyle.
Might as well stick a fork in folk style then! Bonus points are what makes folk style so exciting -- watching amazing athletes show their stuff. No one wants to watch a grind-it-out one point match between 'average' wrestlers with minimal or no offense. It's so boring!

Nico and Tomasello will be a tight one again. Nico has a feel for him now and vice versa. I say Tomasello 3-2. JG is wrestling great but I don't see him beating AA. I'm going AA 6-2. Zain will beat Sorensen to the tune of 8-3. Nolf over IMAR 7-4. Nickal wins 6-3 & MM wins 7-4. JC & Mouse both wrestle back to place 3rd and the team title is secured with ease...

Borrr--rring.
Not going to happen.
No reason to go backward, now that fans have seen the sport awaken to new possibilities.

Fans like exciting matches and higher scoring. Look for rules to be tweaked to create more ways to increase points for more activity.

If that were to happen, they may as well kiss ESPN money good bye. No one will want to cover a boring stall-a-thon. Sheesh. That's an even worse idea than making National Duals count as a national championship.

I hear that one of tognetti's gals is on loan and is warming up in the locker room at CHA.

In all seriousness I questioned TnT to myself for not redshirting burak for a run next year but they are right there if not for the freshman wrestling so above their age.

Even the homerest of Homers would have been looked at goofy if they predicted these kind of results.

Unreal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT