ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

This is what concerns me - wtf is Franklin running down there that everyone is jumping ship. What went from a small class is going to be 25+ to keep 85 scholarships.
My opinion is that Coach Franklin is being honest with these players and telling them where they are projected on the depth chart. What on the surface seems concerning is what I believe is a good thing for a couple of reasons:
1. recruiting success has elevated the talent level
2. honesty is always the best policy

For every one Parsons we get, Clemson and Bama get four or five. When we're at that level (and do it every year), I'll worry less about transfers.

You're exaggerating.

247 Composite Avg Recruit Ranking

1) Alabama 94.09
2) Georgia 93.44
3) Ohio State 92.16
4) Penn State 92.12
13) Clemson 90.40

1) OSU 94.29
2) Georgia 94.23
3) USC 94.23
4) Clemson 93.45
5) Texas 92.16
6) Alabama 91.94
7) Penn State 91.70

Reactions: 81b&w and djr4rebs
You're exaggerating.

247 Composite Avg Recruit Ranking

1) Alabama 94.09
2) Georgia 93.44
3) Ohio State 92.16
4) Penn State 92.12
13) Clemson 90.40

1) OSU 94.29
2) Georgia 94.23
3) USC 94.23
4) Clemson 93.45
5) Texas 92.16
6) Alabama 91.94
7) Penn State 91.70

That composite is fine, but it's just an average and wasn't at all my point. My point is those teams get more five star players than we do - not that our 'composites' aren't similar.

To wit:

Five Star Players Per Team (per Rivals, 2015 - 2018 Recruiting Cycle)

Georgia (8,2,3,2 = 15)
OSU (3,6,2,0 = 11)
Clemson (6,3,3,3 = 15)
Bama (3,7,5,4 = 19)
PSU (2,1,0,0 = 3)

So, I think I'm pretty close.

And as good as Saquon was, and he is a generational back, he wasn't enough.

He single handedly transformed us into a 2-3 loss team from a 6 loss team. We were a Wilkins or a Fitzpatrick away on defense from being undefeated and in the playoff in '17. Without roster improvement, we probably would have been a 5-6 loss team this year.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
CJF has room for Cross no matter what Wade does. The previous losses to the NFL and transfers opened up enough room to take 7 additional 2019 players. I believe CJF is going after Cross regardless of Wade's decision. Sure Rudolph and Cross if he comes just add to the competition of Brisker, Sutherland, Monroe and Petrishen, but more realistically if Wade could not beat out those true freshmen he sure isn't going to beat out all of Sutherland, Brisker and Monroe, and Cross and Rudolph are more likely to be potential starters possibly in 2020, but more likely in 2021 and beyond....

Never said that......said Wade's decision is based on Cross, not CJF's.

Since you are a brand new member here, I would like to ask you one question. Is 2020 our year?

(Please note that "I have no idea what you are talking about" is not an acceptable answer.)

I know what you mean and no. To be brutally honest, i don’t think any year in the foreseeable future will be PennState’s year to win the CFP.

I do not. In fact, I would think if he could, Franklin would convince half of the guys leaving to stay. My point is if you're not worrying about mass transfers, you probably should be (unless you are Bama or Clemson or maybe OSU). That is all.
Clemson and Bama will have to worry too. They will have plenty of 4 and maybe 5 stars riding the bench. Those guys will be prime transfer candidates and schools like PSU could benefit.

Also, you are selling UGA short if you don't put them a half step behind Bama and Clemson.

Reactions: NittanyOpp
I know what you mean and no. To be brutally honest, i don’t think any year in the foreseeable future will be PennState’s year to win the CFP.

Outside of Clemson or Bama who do you think does have a shot at winning the CFP? Any of those teams have coaches named Golden or Munchak? Do any of the teams you list have head coaches who are interested in the PSU job? Doubt it.

An initial qualifier is - IIRC - defined by receiving athletically-related financial aid for the first time.
Thus, if that be true, a scholarship kid transferring from another institution would not count against the 25 initial qualifiers rule....

But I could be all wet - that's just OTTOMH from memory. It could be determined by receiving scholarship $$$ from THAT PARTICULAR University for the first time, in which case it would count.
But someone (Art?) probably knows for sure.

Your second reading is corrects. Transfers of any sort count against the 25.

Back in the bad old days when Silas Redd transferred to USC he put them over the limit for that year. The NCAA, in an act of unparalleled magnanimity, allowed USC to take Redd and count him against the following year's limit.,

Wade’s Instagram now says “this wasn’t my decision but hey”

who wants to decipher.

Did someone not tell CJF? Or? Huh?

tenor.gif

I'm not sure he wouldn't have been the 4th saftey this year. Also, following him on social media, his best friend got murdered not too long after he stepped on campus. Then he had a child. There was also a lot of IG stories about him being bored in State College and not many pictures of him hanging out with other players. I can't say this surprised me.

He has a child, but he is bored in S.C.? WTF?

A general question about the transfer portal. Do players attach some sort of resume that other schools can view? I'm just wondering how schools that value character over stars will be able to find players in the portal.
I see what you did there.

But honestly, having seen him on the field for a couple of years do you think Wade is actually a 5 star talent?

No.

Clairton's last 5-star talent chose Michigan because PSU thought they could slow-play him.

They were proven wrong and that dude can play!!

ERROR recognition: It was Hudson at McKeesport H.S.

Last edited:
No.

Clairton's last 5-star talent chose Michigan because PSU thought they could slow-play him.

They were proven wrong and that dude can play!!

For that matter is Cam Brown, Koa Farmer (and the list goes on) 4 star? I feel like if you miss out on the elite prospects, there is very little separating the 3’s and 4’s (with a few exceptions).

Reactions: Connorpozlee
No but he's played better than many who are/were.

I think recruiting has gotten better when it comes to evaluating 5 star players (overall). I think it's worse when it comes to 3/4 star players. I think any given 3/4 star has a 50% chance of playing up or down a level. The difference-makers are almost always 5 star guys...

I do.

Thank you.
31. Carolina Panthers: Khaleke Hudson, S, Michigan

Michigan_logo.gif

The Panthers have a weak secondary overall, and their safeties have to be upgraded in the near future.

Khaleke Hudson is a tremendous blitzer who has the potential to be an elite coverage safety.

Projected 1st round picks aren't special to some I guess unless they're top 10. Sure wouldn't have helped PSU the past couple years and next year either. SMH.

Never said that......said Wade's decision is based on Cross, not CJF's.

Doesn't make much sense. Wade, who has played two years already, basically told JF if you get Cross here you are forcing my hand and I will leave? As if Wade gave him an ultimatum that you can't recruit any more high level safeties if you want me to stick around? If he did, any coach would say, c-ya.

Doesn't make much sense. Wade, who has played two years already, basically told JF if you get Cross here you are forcing my hand and I will leave? As if Wade gave him an ultimatum that you can't recruit any more high level safeties if you want me to stick around? If he did, any coach would say, c-ya.

Wade locker photo??

49897137_10156287959384755_5872450097387667456_n.jpg

It was Wade's decision though....

Franklin met with Wade and was honest and told him he pretty much wasn't in a starting safety spot heading into the spring...Wade thinks he should be in a starting role, and doesn't help that JuCo safety, Brisker is coming in with expectation to contribute.

I guess Wade's "This wasn't my decision, but hey" should be re-worded as "I think I should be the starting safety in 2019, but Franklin's decision is that Taylor, Sutherland, and possibly Brisker will be ahead of me, but hey I was a 5-star recruit and that should give me points on the depth chart"

It was Wade's decision though....

Franklin met with Wade and was honest and told him he pretty much wasn't in a starting safety spot heading into the spring...Wade thinks he should be in a starting role, and doesn't help that JuCo safety, Brisker is coming in with expectation to contribute.

I guess Wade's "This wasn't my decision, but hey" should be re-worded as "I think I should be the starting safety in 2019, but Franklin's decision is that Taylor, Sutherland, and possibly Brisker will be ahead of me, but hey I was a 5-star recruit and that should give me points on the depth chart"

I agree, I was laughing at the notion that because of Cross, a FSU committ potentially coming in, that would be the reason Wade would give JF an ultimatum.

what is funny is the fan base on twitter are "awe James so genuine and loves his guys look how sweet this is"

reality James doesn't even know this tweet was sent and one of the many interns or staffers in player development sent it

Wow! It's like you're a player development intern for PSU football, holding Franklin's phone in your.....wait a minute.....!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT