ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

This is fun, right guys? Yeah!

tenor.gif

Polk was pretty obvious, as his PT would be minimal in 2019. He is pretty much at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

Wade would likely have to sit out a year if he transfers without special circumstances, so I would look for him to possibly still come back and compete to start at Safety - see if he participates in Winter workouts. There are rumors that he has kids back in Clairton, so he could petition for a waiver if he transfers to be closer to his kids.

McPhereson to me does not look to have added much muscle in the S&C program, and would be challenged for his playing time right from the get go going forward by Brown, Gordon, and the true freshmen CB's.

I'm surprised a TE has not decided to explore playing time options elsewhere. Hope all the TE's stay, but PT will be scarce behind PF, Bowers, and Kuntz unless there are injuries, which has happened in the past ...

Last edited:
I don't like this. These kids have the right to go where they think they have the best chance to start, of course, but I want kids who are willing to compete. I also want continuity year to year. You need guys with experience, even if they don't start.

Not really much of a loss on the field. I would like to have some continuity in the locker room though.

Wow, this is getting ridiculous. We can rationalize this all we want, but the 2019 season is quickly going down the tubes. Polk is no loss, but the other 2 are, starters or no, depth is very important and so are special teams. I don't think Franklin can bring in enough quality recruits this year to fill out the roster.

Reactions: psu2016 and zubrus1
Wow, this is getting ridiculous. We can rationalize this all we want, but the 2019 season is quickly going down the tubes. Polk is no loss, but the other 2 are, starters or no, depth is very important and so are special teams. I don't think Franklin can bring in enough quality recruits this year to fill out the roster.

Of all the losses, Wade was the only one that excelled on special teams. As I believe he would have to sit out, being a true soph this past year, I'm hoping he reconsiders and stays at PSU. But realistically he would have to fight hard for PT at PSU in 2019 and could walk right in and start at a great many programs. Every kid has their own priorities. Either way I wish him the very best. Tough kid from Clairton, a tough town I am very familiar with. Hope he gets his degree one way or the other!!!

Hope this doesn't devolve into kids seeking out the path of least resistance. Penn State, in its quest to develop student-athletes on the field, in the classroom and in the community, isn't for everyone. Football factories are a dime a dozen and possibly attractive to certain people in moments of frustration. How many players said they thought about transferring in their early years with Joe, only to sing his praises and say "thank goodness I stayed the course" upon graduating? In any event, best wishes to Brandon, Lamont and Zech.

JJ - probably not a starter in 2019
Polk - not a starter in 2019
McPhearson - not a starter in 2019
Wade - probably not a starter in 2019

Four upperclassmen (two grad transfers) that weren't going to be playing a lot in 2019. Nothing surprising here.

I expected great things for Wade, good luck to him though. Polk and ZM were backups, tough situation to be in, personal decisions .Sounds like Franklin wants players and coaches to step up, must of been an interesting meeting after the Citrus.

Last edited:
Wow! I thought Wade would be a starter this year at safety. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall with Brisker coming in.

Other than his 5 star prospect status, why? He isn’t good enough to beat out Fields and Reid at CB, Johnson at nickel or Taylor, Monroe, Brisker or Sutherland at safety. He is a special teams player. That is how well Franklin recruits. We are recruiting over four and five star prospects.

Learn to live with it as it’s the new reality. Transferring made much easier, revolving coaches causing unease, the need for instant gratification, better players being recruited over them, plus other issues. I don’t especially like it, but no point in fighting city hall.

The problem here is that PSU needs to develop a solid “next 22” to compete with the best. PSU’s starting 22 can compete with anyone. It’s the next 22 that separates programs like Clemson, Bama, etc. We need guys like Wade to stay and be solid backups and special teams players.

Lamont Wade probably should have taken a red shirt. But, his 5star status probably led him to unrealistic expectations early. At this level, everyone has speed and quickness.......size he doesn't have. He needs to be a smart, savvy kind of DB and he should have taken a shirt to learn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT