ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

Although this sucks from a depth perspective, with the exception of JJ, almost all of the players leaving were 2nd or 3rd string players who were behind guys who were younger or of the same age. Could be looking at an old or inaccurate depth chart but here's what I'm seeing:

Miller (Sr) - behind Cam Brown (Sr)
Wade (Jr) - Behind Scott, but not likely to start next year over younger players Sutherland/Brisker. Even taking a RS year doesn't put him in a better position to start.
McPherson (So) - behind Reid (Sr), Donovan Johnson (So) and TCF (Jr). Already redshirted.
Monroe (Sr) - behind Wade, Taylor and Sutherland
Polk (Sr) - at best, the 4th option behind Dotson, Hamler, Hippenhammer, and likely buried behind George and CSB. Would benefit the most from a fresh start.

Other guys in the same spot include Bowers, Holland, Petrishen, Dalton, Journey Brown.

We're not like Alabama, Clemson or OSU where elite juniors and seniors are starting over elite freshman and sophomores, with opportunities opening up due to early NFL entry. Our most talented players are young and in some cases, haven't seen the field yet. These guys see it and want an opportunity to start.

Franklin needs to find a way to maximize class sizes and work the transfer/JUCO angle to get some depth until the class quality levels out over time.

OK.

PSU is stacked at LBer… they should move Dixon to safety.

There ya' go!

Not for us to decide, but all the roster jockeying that will likely go on will make this board more interesting!!

I would also not be surprised to see a couple of grad transfers come TO PSU, even if they will not likely start. There are likely a few players out there that could provide depth and value the education opportunities available at PSU. An undergraduate business major may want a free PSU MBA for example, as PSU's MBA program is highly ranked and recognized. And if a player was coming from a middle team in a non-Power 5 conference a trip to a nice bowl at the end of 2019 would be attractive as well.

Big difference between "address it", and "cure it".

Obviously :) there is precious little that can be done, at this point, to avert a significant roster problem in the near term. That ship has sailed (for the most part... aside from, as you pointed out, working like the devil to find the maximum of 7 recruits that he can still bring in to start plugging the leaks).
Just as obviously :), CJF needs to perform a thorough autopsy to figure out why the hell there is an egress of folks as if they are jumping off a sinking ship. Figure out why it is happening, and take the necessary steps to minimize the chances that it continues going forward.

I don't know what the autopsy will show. No idea. But the guy in charge DOES need to figure out the reasons - and develop the solutions - ASAP.

What if the primary reason is a perceived lack of future playing time? What can be done to persuade those players from transferring? Promising more (potentially unmerited) playing time?

Although this sucks from a depth perspective, with the exception of JJ, almost all of the players leaving were 2nd or 3rd string players who were behind guys who were younger or of the same age. Could be looking at an old or inaccurate depth chart but here's what I'm seeing:

Miller (Sr) - behind Cam Brown (Sr)
Wade (Jr) - Behind Scott, but not likely to start next year over younger players Sutherland/Brisker. Even taking a RS year doesn't put him in a better position to start.
McPherson (So) - behind Reid (Sr), Donovan Johnson (So) and TCF (Jr). Already redshirted.
Monroe (Sr) - behind Wade, Taylor and Sutherland
Polk (Sr) - at best, the 4th option behind Dotson, Hamler, Hippenhammer, and likely buried behind George and CSB. Would benefit the most from a fresh start.

Other guys in the same spot include Bowers, Holland, Petrishen, Dalton, Journey Brown.

We're not like Alabama, Clemson or OSU where elite juniors and seniors are starting over elite freshman and sophomores, with opportunities opening up due to early NFL entry. Our most talented players are young and in some cases, haven't seen the field yet. These guys see it and want an opportunity to start.

Franklin needs to find a way to maximize class sizes and work the transfer/JUCO angle to get some depth until the class quality levels out over time.
I expect Bowers to stay. He caught a TD in the bowl game and is #2 on depth chart behind Friermuth. Doubt Kuntz passes Bowers in 2019 although Kuntz should see PT. Dalton would probably be most likely TE to enter transfer portal.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I expect there are any number of factors, some unique and some broad-based.
I’m not the HFC, and have neither the access, the resources, nor the responsibility to address it..... so IDK and IDC.

That’s for CJF to solve, lest he wants to lead a team that is playing so under-staffed that he’s getting his clock cleaned on a regular basis.

If you don’t know and don’t care, then why do you endlessly comment about it?

I don’t comment about “what CJF needs to do to fix it”
I comment about what the (obvious :) ) issues are.

You comprende that now? Or you need another lesson?

Let’s see. It’s better to have a full roster than to not have a full roster.

How many more ways will you find to make the exact same point?

How many more stoopid questions are you going to pose, every time I answer your previous one?

(Spoiler: No more than 1, ‘cause I ain’t responsible for trying to penetrate Dullard Skullbone, and you ain’t no fun, so I’ll just bid you Ciao)

By all means, please continue to fret and agonize about something over which you no control or influence. And please continue your important work of enlightening people as to why it’s preferable for a football team to have a complete roster.

Reactions: Nitt1300
I expect Bowers to stay. He caught a TD in the bowl game and is #2 on depth chart behind Friermuth. Doubt Kuntz passes Bowers in 2019 although Kuntz should see PT. Dalton would probably be most likely TE to enter transfer portal.

Yep, I also look for Bowers to say and be a solid #2 behind Freiermuth. Bowers is a big solid TE that can catch and its not out of the question him playing on Sundays after another healthy year (which have been rare so far for him).

Just a thought. After the Ohio State game during the great team vs elite Franklin talked about no more holding hands getting to class etc. and guys needed to take more ownership or something to that effect. Maybe Franklin was was to the point and some of these guys were told they were buried in the depth chart and no more baby sitting would take place and the player took the news and decided to move on.
Would appreciate if someone would post more details of the great vs elite speech.

Here is pretty much your offseason run-down of losses:

Early to Draft: Miles Sanders, Ryan Bates, Connon McGovern, Kevin Givens, Shareef Miller

Player announced via Social Media or media made public on transfer: Juwan Johnson, Zechariah McPhearson, Lamont Wade, Brandon Polk, Ayron Monroe, Danny Dalton, Alex Gellerstedt, Isaiah Humphries, Brelin Faison-Walden

Keep an eye on: Jonathan Holland, DJ Brown, Cameron Sullivan-Brown, Ellison Jordan, Jarvis Miller, John Petrishen

Reactions: MoyerJones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT