ADVERTISEMENT

Thread on testing & treatment research for COVID-19

Thats means, just incase you were thinking a lower death rate was good news... we can't have that. Even though NY added 3700 people who were never tested to the total number of covid deaths on April 14th, the number of deaths just has to be higher yet.

No, most people who die in assist care facilities are not being counted. What I would really like to see is the number of deaths per facility on average from 2017-2019 during March and April versus 2020. I bet the difference is huge and it has not been counted.

Also, many elderly don't seek medical attention and die at home. Again, another caparison from previous years against 2020 would I bet show a drastic increase.

" citing documents accidentally published by the World Health Organization "

Gee, where have we seen that before.

this was not new information. this was old data, and an abbreviated study. Nobody is expecting any data from the Gilead trials for a few weeks. why these tidbits keep hitting is interesting.

I don't want to hear from the medical bureaucracy on anything. I want to hear from the doctors on the front line who are applying all these treatments, and from someone who can explain the details of the data. There are many variables, and every paper I read seems to have missed some of the key work. The people defining the RCT experiments needs to be the docs who have actually been applying some of the novel treatments.

BTW - do you find it amazing that any normal person would not want all these various solutions to work well? what moron would want anything to fail. there is no way the US can afford further lockdown, so the economy is about to take priority over the virus. in that world we want things to work.

Reactions: CentexLion
French doctors treating C-19 with nicotine patches as light smokers appear to be less susceptible to the virus

• A French study found that only 4.4% of 350 coronavirus patients hospitalized were regular smokers and 5.3% of 130 homebound patients smoked
  • This pales in comparison with at least 25% of the French population that smokes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...s-coronavirus-patients-frontline-workers.html

Reactions: Bertway0
No, most people who die in assist care facilities are not being counted. What I would really like to see is the number of deaths per facility on average from 2017-2019 during March and April versus 2020. I bet the difference is huge and it has not been counted.

Also, many elderly don't seek medical attention and die at home. Again, another caparison from previous years against 2020 would I bet show a drastic increase.
What state are you in that doesn't count them? Md does. 26 in the one down the street from me this week.

French doctors treating C-19 with nicotine patches as light smokers appear to be less susceptible to the virus

• A French study found that only 4.4% of 350 coronavirus patients hospitalized were regular smokers and 5.3% of 130 homebound patients smoked
  • This pales in comparison with at least 25% of the French population that smokes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...s-coronavirus-patients-frontline-workers.html
smoking might impact availability of ACE-II in lungs

Dadgummit.

10 min ago
Hydroxychloroquine doesn’t work for very sick coronavirus patients, study suggests
From CNN Health’s Elizabeth Cohen

Preliminary results of a large-scale study of hydroxychloroquine suggest that the drug "didn't really have much of an effect on the recovery rate," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said during CNN's town hall Thursday evening.

"I think from the review that I heard basically it was not seen as a positive, not seen as a negative," Cuomo said.

The study, sponsored by the New York state Department of Health, looked at about 600 patients at 22 hospitals in the greater New York City area.

Those who took hydroxychloroquine, with or without the antibiotic azithromycin, were no more likely to survive their infections than those who did not, according to David Holtgrave, dean of the University at Albany School of Public Health, who conducted the study.

"We don’t see a statistically significant difference between patients who took the drugs and those who did not," he said.

Some more background: Since hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin are both already on the market for other illnesses, doctors are free to prescribe them to coronavirus patients if they want to, and the Albany study found that doctors did often use them to treat their coronavirus patients.

Dr. William Schaffner, a Vanderbilt University infectious disease expert who was not involved in the Albany report, said while it's hardly the last word on the issue, he hopes it will guide doctors who are considering prescribing it to their hospitalized patients.

"This study is not a red light. It's a yellow caution light," he said.

So it turns out the CDC screwed up the test kits by trying to manufacture them in their research labs....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/contamination-at-cdc-lab-was-likely-cause-of-critical-early-delays-in-rolling-out-testing/ar-BB12QftL

Contamination in manufacturing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention test for the coronavirus caused weeks of delays that slowed the US response to the pandemic, multiple health officials have told CNN, a problem that stemmed in part from the CDC not adhering to its own protocols, according to a US Food and Drug Administration spokesperson....

....Within days -- by Feb. 27 -- the FDA and the CDC worked together to remanufacture the CDC test with the help of IDT, an outside manufacturer, according to administration officials. The remanufactured tests functioned correctly and were shipped to public health labs.

I am wondering if a lot of the pathologies associated with COVID 19 are the result of hypercoagulation.
I read an article about some healthy people in their 30’s having unusual strokes with COVID.

I am wondering if a lot of the pathologies associated with COVID 19 are the result of hypercoagulation.
I read an article about some healthy people in their 30’s having unusual strokes with COVID.

possibly.

I saw a couple of articles about 30-somethings being more prone to strokes as a result of Covid-19, but didn't link them, as they didn't have a lot of scientific backing.

Reactions: PearlSUJam

Hmmmm. Good point something that I haven't heard anyone else suggest.

Interesting stuff. Stem cells for the lungs. But they treated only 12 patients so way early to get very excited yet.

And this hospital had a survival rate of 12% for people on vents? Yikes.

Yea the stuff I'm seeing (if accurate...yea I know) about people on vents is scary as hell if you have a loved one of family member about to be "vented".

Great point. I feel the same way. We should be comparing this plus the normal flu season stats.

Reactions: bison13
Thanks for that....according to this CDC table (and it has become hard to find this information) of the 51,907 deaths from C-19/pneumonia, only 1,377 are for people under 45 years old. (as of 4-22)
Yep not a problem if it only (mostly) effects those over 45. Great point!

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Good point something that I haven't heard anyone else suggest.
I just saw that stat but can’t remember where. It compared mortality of 80+ to 2017 which I assumed was the date he/she could get (but it could be signs of an agenda). The mortality rate was only 10% worse for 2020.

on a second note, I question the notion that assisted living deaths are not counted. I have seen assisted living deaths referred to in the numbers in ny, Ohio and Washington state. Perhaps the poster knows more than me but all of the conversation and writing I’ve been exposed to seems to include assisted living. In fact there was a controversy last week that anyone who dies and tests positive will be counted as a c19 death

Reactions: Ski and BBrown
Great point. I feel the same way. We should be comparing this plus the normal flu season stats.
I am fairly certain COVID 19 is now the leading weekly statistical cause of death in the US. The last stat I saw was from April 12 and it had almost overtaken heart disease at that point. The numbers have only gotten worse and show no signs of diminishing despite the optimistic projections of some ill conceived models. This is nothing short of astonishing for a disease that barely existed in the US two months ago.
The only good news we have had about this virus since the beginning is that it mostly spares children and younger people.

I am fairly certain COVID 19 is now the leading weekly statistical cause of death in the US. The last stat I saw was from April 12 and it had almost overtaken heart disease at that point. The numbers have only gotten worse and show no signs of diminishing despite the optimistic projections of some ill conceived models. This is nothing short of astonishing for a disease that barely existed in the US two months ago.
The only good news we have had about this virus since the beginning is that it mostly spares children and younger people.
Two reasons for that. First, there are few accidental deaths as people aren’t driving or working. The second is there we are a week or so outside peak infection so we are at peek death. But just about every stat shows deaths continue to be in at risk populations, as we do more tests the Number of infections is the Basically same and and the mortality rate is dropping fast (as we define best practices).

My friend read an article in The NY Times (I think but can’t exactly recall) that stated globally there were roughly 25,000 more deaths than normal for March 2020.

Roughly 4,530,000 people die per month around the world on average. So an estimated 4,555,000 people died in March. So if hat information is accurate there is an increase but it’s not huge.

but who knows how accurate that article was ...

Last edited:
Two reasons for that. First, there are few accidental deaths as people aren’t driving or working. The second is there we are a week or so outside peak infection so we are at peek death. But just about every stat shows deaths continue to be in at risk populations, as we do more tests the Number of infections is the Basically same and and the mortality rate is dropping fast (as we define best practices).
COVID 19 deaths have already significantly exceeded the average number of yearly US auto accident fatalities.
We also don’t know what the peak infection will be at this point. The distancing measures might create a plateau instead of a peak that could persist for months.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT