ADVERTISEMENT

Thread on testing & treatment research for COVID-19

This is an interesting finding. I am not sure how much weight to give it. Some people thought a similar situation might have existed in India which has since appeared to be most unlikely.
I can’t link it here but there is also some pretty shocking data about SARS CoV - 2 antibody seroprevalence in Italy from September through December of 2019. The data was showing around 10% positivity in lung biopsy samples from all over the country during this time ! ? The official cases wouldn’t show up until February, 2020 in Lombardy.
There is something not right about this. If there were this many positive SARS CoV - 2 samples showing up all over Italy, it is not reasonable to expect that Italy would be the only place this was happening if China was the point of origin. If the virus was in Italy as far back as August, 2019, why didn’t we see the exponential growth of infection we did everywhere else ?
The only possibility I can think of was that the virus in Italy was a closely related, but far less transmissible version of SARS CoV - 2 that would be replaced by the D 614 variant that exploded in Wuhan in December.
You would also expect if there was 10% seroprevalence in Italy in September, 2019, where is herd immunity by now ?
My understanding is that a lot of people from Wuhan are in Northern Italy. Theoretically, spread could have gone either way.

My understanding is that a lot of people from Wuhan are in Northern Italy. Theoretically, spread could have gone either way.
Read the same thing about Barcelona.

I have hear the hypothesis that the SARS CoV - 2 progenitor virus was circulating around for years before acquiring mutations that made it more infectious. If this is true, researchers should be finding viral evidence in patient samples from before the fall of 2019. If it was possible to find and sequence virus from the 1918 pandemic, this should not be as hard, I would think.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Read the same thing about Barcelona.

I have hear the hypothesis that the SARS CoV - 2 progenitor virus was circulating around for years before acquiring mutations that made it more infectious. If this is true, researchers should be finding viral evidence in patient samples from before the fall of 2019. If it was possible to find and sequence virus from the 1918 pandemic, this should not be as hard, I would think.

I can actually understand how a lot of southeast Asia and Africa were not hit as hard it appears as when you think about virus's the past 25+ years they seem to always originate from those locations. Hence one would assume they have a much higher chance of already having some type of cross immunity.

But not sure I am buying that Covid has been around for a while theory. We see how fast that Covid spreads and so if some 'lesser form' of Covid was around and then mutated to it's current 'super infectious' variant (as they loved to be called), then this would have had to have happened out of shear coincidence in Wuhan. Otherwise how would you explain the explosion that happened in Covid there before anywhere else.

Vaccine hesitancy a big problem

This is data on the Novavax vaccine and the B.1.351 variant (South African). The Novavax vaccine has not been approved in the US, but it may be the next COVID-19 vaccine which the FDA will evaluate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT