ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Oscars

The self congratulatory stuff gets old rather quickly. As does the recitation of thanks to a string of people whose names mean nothing to the viewing audience. I suppose that is just the point, giving thanks to contributors who would otherwise remain unthanked and nameless. I nonetheless find it boring. The Red Carpet portion is much more interesting, IMHO.

The self congratulatory stuff gets old rather quickly. As does the recitation of thanks to a string of people whose names mean nothing to the viewing audience. I suppose that is just the point, giving thanks to contributors who would otherwise remain unthanked and nameless. I nonetheless find it boring. The Red Carpet portion is much more interesting, IMHO.

Do you feel the same about All Star game voting, MVP awards, All Pro selections, etc.?

I didn't have time this year to post my annual analyses of the major Oscar nominations. I had the pleasure of watching every film nominated in the best picture, and every film except one which featured a nominee for the best actor, best actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, and best director

On my Oscar prediction sheet, I got best supporting actress (Regina King), best supporting actor (Mahershala Ali), best actor (Rami Malek), and best director (Alfonso Cuaron) correct. I missed on best actress, as I thought Glen Close would win, but Olivia Coleman took the prize. I also missed on best picture, though I didn't have a strong feeling that any particular film stood head and shoulders about the others. Most of the late predictions were pointing to Roma, which was a nice film, but would not have gotten my vote. My prediction was that BlacKkKlansman would get the award, but as I said, I really wasn't confident of that pick. The Green Book was an excellent movie, and it's not a bad selection by the Academy.

I had seen most of the documentary feature nominees, except for Free Solo -- the film that won. Of the ones I had seen, I thought RBG was the best. I look forward to seeing Free Solo.

I had seen all of the live-action shorts, and wasn't crazy about any of them. None of them were a feel-good story; they were the opposite. Skin, which won, was a pretty shocking film.

Another good year of movies in the book.
What is an Oscar?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT