ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Oscars

dumping her for "Lady gaga" would be a move down- why would anyone do that?

Emotional and intellectual connection?

I know, I know ... I should get booed off stage for saying such a ridiculous thing on a slightly-hidden-boobie-pic-is-exciting board, but there are a lot of guys who get bored of the "hot chick" stereotype after experiencing it and seeing it's not really all it's cracked up to be, and trying to find a bit more substance in their women.

Not saying that's the case here (I have no idea if his baby momma is a substantial woman or just another pretty face), but usually the guys drooling over "hot chicks" and talking about how you should select a woman over another woman based on hotness, never had a "hot" woman to judge if that's a smart move.

Last edited:
Exactly. He can get millions of women prettier and with less baggage than GaGa. Plus, isn't she lesbian? The twitter moron-universe is claiming there is something going on. It's called "acting".

Jesus dude. It’s not always about the best looking chick in the room. You dropped about the best beta male comment a junior high kid could have come up with.

Jesus dude. It’s not always about the best looking chick in the room. You dropped about the best beta male comment a junior high kid could have come up with.
I was trying to be diplomatic. But who knows, different strokes...
Let's put it this way: To me she's probably a handful. Also, a head case. Also, not sure she likes men as much as women. Also, not the greatest intellect. Also - though I know we are all WAY above this - is not very good looking for a 32 year old woman and has tattoos.
OTH, she sings good and is rich.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way: To me she's probably a handful. Also, a head case. Also, not sure she likes men as much as women. Also, not the greatest intellect. Also, below average looking for a 32 year old woman

Allegedly Lady Gaga has a genius IQ. That wouldn't surprise me, if true. Often times the intellectually gifted appear to have "issues" when compared to the unfortunate masses. It's hard relating to basic people in a lowest common denominator world.

Regardless, "complexity" often attracts people, whether that manifests itself in being a "head case," or even indeterminate sexuality (especially if a guy suspects a girl might go both ways).

I would assume that, for a guy who can pull just about any vapid model/wannabe model at will, who also appears to have a decent head on his shoulders (graduated with honors with a degree in English from Georgetown), that someone lady Lady Gaga might be interesting, even with a supermodel as his baby mama.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I used to really like watching the Oscars. Now . . . everybody has to give a personal message and thank their seventh cousins twice removed. No thanks. Sleep is more important that watching overinflated egos.
Just out of curiosity, if you won an award and got 45 seconds to thank those who helped you along the way, what would you say? Should those watching you on TV simply dismiss it as you having an overinflated ego?

Reactions: BBrown
Allegedly Lady Gaga has a genius IQ. That wouldn't surprise me, if true. Often times the intellectually gifted appear to have "issues" when compared to the unfortunate masses. It's hard relating to basic people in a lowest common denominator world.

Regardless, "complexity" often attracts people, whether that manifests itself in being a "head case," or even indeterminate sexuality (especially if a guy suspects a girl might go both ways).

I would assume that, for a guy who can pull just about any vapid model/wannabe model at will, who also appears to have a decent head on his shoulders (graduated with honors with a degree in English from Georgetown), that someone lady Lady Gaga might be interesting, even with a supermodel as his baby mama.

I think the bottom line here is that it's good to be Bradley Cooper.

lady-gaga-hot-shots-02-480w.jpg

Of the movies that were up for Best Picture, my favorites were:

BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, and Vice. Beyond that, it's kind of splitting hairs. BlacKkKlansman, Green Book, and Vice each shined a light on a past area of US history that is somewhat troubling. Of those three, I probably liked BlacKkKlansman the best, with Green Book a close second. Bohemian Rhapsody was probably the most entertaining of my favorites. The Favourite was well done, and very interesting, though I walked away not knowing what I had seen. Plus, it took a lot of liberties with history, and that always bothers me.
I also noted how many of the really big movie stars were not present at the oscars this year. I guess many of these actors and actresses didn't have any works in 2018...like Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, Robert DiNiro etc etc.

Reactions: Obliviax
I also noted how many of the really big movie stars were not present at the oscars this year. I guess many of these actors and actresses didn't have any works in 2018...like Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, Robert DiNiro etc etc.

I thought I saw Meryl Streep in the crowd shots?

DeNiro has 'The Irishman' with Pacino, Pesci, and Scorsese coming out this year (think it will also be on Netflix), and Pitt and DiCaprio are both filming Tarantino's new film 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'. So, makes sense that they're not there. No idea about Hanks but how about Jack Nicholson? He used to be a front row mainstay....

I understand your frustration with Hollywood and in many ways I agree with you, but there are some terrific movies made every year and some very decent people in the movie industry. A guy like Tom Hanks, for example, is by nearly all accounts, a good and honorable man. If you are selective in your viewing you can watch some outstanding films with genuine people who just happen to be actors.
I’d add Helen Miren to that list. I’ll watch any movie she stars in.

I think the bottom line here is that it's good to be Bradley Cooper.

lady-gaga-hot-shots-02-480w.jpg
I was looking for those tattoos on her back during the Oscars but didn't see them. Personally speaking I think she is a very talented musician but in the looks department rather so so, similar to Coopers current wife. JMHO

DeNiro has 'The Irishman' with Pacino, Pesci, and Scorsese coming out this year (think it will also be on Netflix), and Pitt and DiCaprio are both filming Tarantino's new film 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'. So, makes sense that they're not there. No idea about Hanks but how about Jack Nicholson? He used to be a front row mainstay....
I also noticed that the trailers for The Irishman indicate it will be in theaters and on Netflix. I wonder how THAT will work. Seems like that presages the demise of movie theaters. Why hassle with going to the movie theater if you can get a brand new release on your large screen TV at home via Netflix?

I also noticed that the trailers for The Irishman indicate it will be in theaters and on Netflix. I wonder how THAT will work. Seems like that presages the demise of movie theaters. Why hassle with going to the movie theater if you can get a brand new release on your large screen TV at home via Netflix?

Well, theaters are getting better at providing a quality atmosphere (see: wine/beer/cocktail/food service, quote-alongs, etc.) and of course, some films are just better on the big screen than small (Avengers for example). 'Roma' may be the turning point though - it had zero U.S. distribution in theaters and was exclusive to Netflix. I don't know how much Netflix paid for the film, but they spent a ton of money (maybe the most ever) promoting it for Oscar consideration (somewhere between $25mm - $60mm I've read). Will be interesting to see how The Irishman does since it will have a theatrical release as well as a streaming one.

For me, you can't replicate the movie experience in the home. It is nice for smaller movies, but I love going to the Alamo Drafthouse for summer tentpole releases.

Well, theaters are getting better at providing a quality atmosphere (see: wine/beer/cocktail/food service, quote-alongs, etc.) and of course, some films are just better on the big screen than small (Avengers for example). 'Roma' may be the turning point though - it had zero U.S. distribution in theaters and was exclusive to Netflix. I don't know how much Netflix paid for the film, but they spent a ton of money (maybe the most ever) promoting it for Oscar consideration (somewhere between $25mm - $60mm I've read). Will be interesting to see how The Irishman does since it will have a theatrical release as well as a streaming one.

For me, you can't replicate the movie experience in the home. It is nice for smaller movies, but I love going to the Alamo Drafthouse for summer tentpole releases.
totally agree. the industry is going to have to segment the two markets: streamers and theater goers. As I recall, this was an aspect of 3D that the industry was really hoping for.

Today, the theater market is the primary and netflix market is secondary. Movies have gone theater>buy>PPV>streaming>network TV. I know, when movies get on PPV, the buzz is over and I can't even remember the movie. I am sure they miss a lot of PPV revenue because the movie is made available six months after the buzz is over.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

This is pretty funny - note actress Jennifer Esposito's comment on the pic - she was married to Cooper for four months....

For those who don't know, this is Jennifer Espositio...

bradleyF.jpg

I’m good with green book and rami winning and lady Gaga as well. Thank god they cut out most of the political garbage that takes down the show. Freddie Mercury is one of my favorite singers and the movie was great. Green book was a good story and I was surprised and happy that it won. Bradley Cooper has to break through soon.

Happy for Rami. Funny thing though, his best performance in front of the camera was playing Snafu in The Pacific.

SIAP: I thought this interesting. youtube side by side with Rami Malik's Bohemian Rhapsody interpretation of the Queen LiveAid concert next to real footage. Looks to me like there are some clips from the movie that did not make it to the released movie.

I’m good with green book and rami winning and lady Gaga as well. Thank god they cut out most of the political garbage that takes down the show. Freddie Mercury is one of my favorite singers and the movie was great. Green book was a good story and I was surprised and happy that it won. Bradley Cooper has to break through soon.

Green Book was a terrible movie, and Freddie Mercury would have thought you were a putz and the movie Bohemian Rhapsody was a joke.

Reactions: cool1099
Green Book was a terrible movie, and Freddie Mercury would have thought you were a putz and the movie Bohemian Rhapsody was a joke.
Green Book is a simple-minded cartoon movie that racists will love since it implies racism is dead so they couldn't possibly be racist.
Why would anyone watch a bad imitation of Freddie Mercury when you can see the real thing on youtube?

Green book and rami are academy award winners as the best picture and best actor for 2018. I agree with the professionals who voted.

Green book and rami are academy award winners as the best picture and best actor for 2018. I agree with the professionals who voted.

Those professionals voted Forrest Gump over Shawshank, English Patient over Fargo, Crash over Brokeback, Driving Daisy over Do the Right Thing (not even nominated) and Lord of the Rings over anything. I am happy to be on the wrong side of that history.

Those professionals voted Forrest Gump over Shawshank, English Patient over Fargo, Crash over Brokeback, Driving Daisy over Do the Right Thing (not even nominated) and Lord of the Rings over anything. I am happy to be on the wrong side of that history.
I agree with it all. Now saving private Ryan losing hurts but they are the professionals.

Just watched the green book. I saw most of the contenders but not that movie. I take back what I said, what a wonderful movie. Certainly deserving and very well done. Ali was awesome, as was Motenson.

Also in 2000 they heaped praise and awards on Kevin Spacey and American Beauty. A disturbing movie starring a disturbing person

And of course, no best picture nomination for Spies Like Us. the most unforgivable sin of all

Just watched the green book. I saw most of the contenders but not that movie. I take back what I said, what a wonderful movie. Certainly deserving and very well done. Ali was awesome, as was Motenson.
We finally got around to watching Green Book. It really was a great movie. New twist on an odd couple buddy story with an important message. Great performances and really enjoyable. Maybe not as cinematically impactful as some, but certainly deserving of acclaim.

We finally got around to watching Green Book. It really was a great movie. New twist on an odd couple buddy story with an important message. Great performances and really enjoyable. Maybe not as cinematically impactful as some, but certainly deserving of acclaim.

Agree I liked it. But then I am a big fan of both Viggo Mortensen and Ali.

Deniro of course wins the sag awards this year for lifetime achievement of all years and then gets political. Can someone tell him he can act but that is it and we could care less.

Let's put it this way: To me she's probably a handful. Also, a head case. Also, not sure she likes men as much as women. Also, not the greatest intellect. Also - though I know we are all WAY above this - is not very good looking for a 32 year old woman and has tattoos.
Oy vey. Use the same criteria for men or stfu.

ADVERTISEMENT