ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Ben Askren

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
I have a few:

1). He is a very sharp guy, but his ADHD can get the best of him at times. When he is focused and on topic I really enjoy his analysis on anything wrestling, as much as anyone's. Strategy, position & leverage, training and nutrition, all of it. He is also the Johnny Miller of wrestling, free to criticize when was he sees doesn't meet muster. He has been critical of many things PSU, but those critiques are usually based upon the results test. Beau, Facundo, Harris in the lineup... yet he acknowledges when he is wrong or when things have changed.

2). His wrestling academy is really delivering results. The guy can develop talent very well. It has become one of the best talent pools in the country, and Cael seems to be noticing.

3). I really think he used to have a chip on his shoulder relative to PSU, but over time he had developed respect for the results. Sure he wants to understand Cael's secrets and steal them, but I think he is already applying many of the core concepts. He talks about avoiding burnout, having some fun, and not cutting a lot of weight often . I have seen a significant softening towards PSU and I really believe now if one of his kids asks ' where should I go?', what might have been an immediate Missouri, or to a Lesser extent tOSU or Iowa 4 years ago has become PSU today. The results speak for themselves, and Ben respects results more than anything. I am a little bummed Cael was late engaging Keegan or we might have landed him too.

4). His kids are starting to come to PSU, and I like it! Maybe he and Cael will become fast friends. Both have done it at the highest levels. I have respect for Ben's wrestling abilities for sure. Who doesn't love the funk, and he brought it in spades.

5). I do listen to a lot of flow, and there are times when he drives me a little nuts, but on balance I think that's a good thing it keeps me entertained and engaged. When he is on, he is on, and brings a lot to the table.

great coach, great wrestling mind, total idiot about most other things with the attention span of a golden retriever.
In other words… perfect for his role with Flo.

That’s not an insult, either. He’s the “color guy”, not the play by play. Kind of his job to be really smart on wrestling but stir the pot at the same time.

great coach, great wrestling mind, total idiot about most other things with the attention span of a golden
In other words… perfect for his role with Flo.

That’s not an insult, either. He’s the “color guy”, not the play by play. Kind of his job to be really smart on wrestling but stir the pot at the same time.
yea I like to hear ben talk wrestling says he never had a concussion that's kind of hard to believe he acts squirrely plenty!

Reactions: donboy6499
I was lucky enough to get to know Ben when he was a freshman at Mizzu. Ben understands wrestling positions and is able to teach these things . He used to come to Central Iowa every Summer and do a camp for local kids because his uncle lived in the Stuart area. I found him to be extremely engaging and the kids loved him. He views wrestling almost the exact opposite of a guy like Sebolt here in Iowa. Huge emphasis on having fun and being creative, I actually think he and Cael probably see wrestling in a similar way having watched both work with kids. Ben has spoken repeatedly about discovering what "secret sauce" PSU is using to get guys to peak perfectly and wrestle without fear. When you watch KOT or Parker you see this in the style. Even the lesser talents like Mocco wrestle pretty wide open and without fear. Ben absolutely comes on FRL looking like a guy who just woke up, but that is only because that is the case. The dude plays disc golf under the moon light when he can. If you ever get a chance to visit with Ben you will most likely find him engaging and just plain funny. He hasn't helped steer anyone to ISU and I'm hoping he doesn't still carry the grudge from Bobby Dougles snubbing him for Kurt Backus. I know the ISU staff is trying to bridge that gap...too many solid wrestlers coming out of his clubs to be left out in the cold.

I have a few:

1). He is a very sharp guy, but his ADHD can get the best of him at times. When he is focused and on topic I really enjoy his analysis on anything wrestling, as much as anyone's. Strategy, position & leverage, training and nutrition, all of it. He is also the Johnny Miller of wrestling, free to criticize when was he sees doesn't meet muster. He has been critical of many things PSU, but those critiques are usually based upon the results test. Beau, Facundo, Harris in the lineup... yet he acknowledges when he is wrong or when things have changed.

2). His wrestling academy is really delivering results. The guy can develop talent very well. It has become one of the best talent pools in the country, and Cael seems to be noticing.

3). I really think he used to have a chip on his shoulder relative to PSU, but over time he had developed respect for the results. Sure he wants to understand Cael's secrets and steal them, but I think he is already applying many of the core concepts. He talks about avoiding burnout, having some fun, and not cutting a lot of weight often . I have seen a significant softening towards PSU and I really believe now if one of his kids asks ' where should I go?', what might have been an immediate Missouri, or to a Lesser extent tOSU or Iowa 4 years ago has become PSU today. The results speak for themselves, and Ben respects results more than anything. I am a little bummed Cael was late engaging Keegan or we might have landed him too.

4). His kids are starting to come to PSU, and I like it! Maybe he and Cael will become fast friends. Both have done it at the highest levels. I have respect for Ben's wrestling abilities for sure. Who doesn't love the funk, and he brought it in spades.

5). I do listen to a lot of flow, and there are times when he drives me a little nuts, but on balance I think that's a good thing it keeps me entertained and engaged. When he is on, he is on, and brings a lot to the table.
i enjoyed watching him wrestle in college and he beat several great wrestlers (couple of NCAA champions) but i absolutely enjoyed watching Chris Pendleton put it on him . Seemed like his understanding of positions and scrambling didn't mean a thing against Pendleton

i enjoyed watching him wrestle in college and he beat several great wrestlers (couple of NCAA champions) but i absolutely enjoyed watching Chris Pendleton put it on him . Seemed like his understanding of positions and scrambling didn't mean a thing against Pendleton
He almost always did because he completely stayed out of scrambles and used his speed to take Ben off of the mat ahead of the funk. Askren did stomp him with funk in the Big 8 final the one time Pendleton rolled around with him. It was very much like Carr vs KOT except David lacks that power Pendleton had. Pendleton had the power to take the hips away like Carter does to Mikey Labs. Carter would be a terrible matchup for KOT.

He almost always did because he completely stayed out of scrambles and used his speed to take Ben off of the mat ahead of the funk. Askren did stomp him with funk in the Big 8 final the one time Pendleton rolled around with him. It was very much like Carr vs KOT except David lacks that power Pendleton had. Pendleton had the power to take the hips away like Carter does to Mikey Labs. Carter would be a terrible matchup for KOT.
that about sums it up. I didn't realize Ben ever beat Pendleton , I am going to have to look for that . Also last two years i have underestimated KOT and will not do that again. I am not even sure why i felt he would lose in the NCAA's but point being i am not betting against him again.

AWA noticeably has improved since Ben retired from MMA (not counting his money grab stint in the UFC lol) and took a role there. Building in roads there (with Mirasolas and it seems maybe Mesenbrink) is huge. He will produce another Keegan O'Toole I bet that we spot early. He mentioned PSU entered the convo for Keegan just a little too late.

Reactions: Ja1339
AWA noticeably has improved since Ben retired from MMA (not counting his money grab stint in the UFC lol) and took a role there. Building in roads there (with Mirasolas and it seems maybe Mesenbrink) is huge. He will produce another Keegan O'Toole I bet that we spot early. He mentioned PSU entered the convo for Keegan just a little too late.
well I am sure that knee to the face knocked some sense into him!

I was lucky enough to get to know Ben when he was a freshman at Mizzu. Ben understands wrestling positions and is able to teach these things . He used to come to Central Iowa every Summer and do a camp for local kids because his uncle lived in the Stuart area. I found him to be extremely engaging and the kids loved him. He views wrestling almost the exact opposite of a guy like Sebolt here in Iowa. Huge emphasis on having fun and being creative, I actually think he and Cael probably see wrestling in a similar way having watched both work with kids. Ben has spoken repeatedly about discovering what "secret sauce" PSU is using to get guys to peak perfectly and wrestle without fear. When you watch KOT or Parker you see this in the style. Even the lesser talents like Mocco wrestle pretty wide open and without fear. Ben absolutely comes on FRL looking like a guy who just woke up, but that is only because that is the case. The dude plays disc golf under the moon light when he can. If you ever get a chance to visit with Ben you will most likely find him engaging and just plain funny. He hasn't helped steer anyone to ISU and I'm hoping he doesn't still carry the grudge from Bobby Dougles snubbing him for Kurt Backus. I know the ISU staff is trying to bridge that gap...too many solid wrestlers coming out of his clubs to be left out in the cold.
Ben is a goober and cracks me up. He actually reminds me of a few buddies of mine. I'd bet it would be cool to hang with him. Lol

If his net worth is 10 million like some sources report, I sure wish i could have idiot my way into that...
Well $10 Mil sounds rediculous, granted if he invested early in Bitcoin anything is possible, and there is likely no way to publicly document his winnings so to speak. He is still a crypto investor today. In contrast the website below seems quite low given his business and competitive accomplishments. I prefer we don't know as it's really noones business.

Well $10 Mil sounds rediculous, granted if he invested early in Bitcoin anything is possible, and there is likely no way to publicly document his winnings so to speak. He is still a crypto investor today. In contrast the website below seems quite low given his business and competitive accomplishments. I prefer we don't know as it's really noones business.

Yeah at least one source I found said sites are erroneously calling his current yearly income (500 grand) his net worth.

I have a few:

Agree with just about everything you listed about Ben. A few additions:

1-Agree that he roots against PSU, but respects the hell out of Cael and program. I think he hates Iowa more, and doesn't have the same respect for TnT, but I could be wrong.

2-Most interesting of the three Flo FRL guys in that he can get the most specific on technique and match breakdowns.

3-I'm showing my age here but he has horrible taste in music...hates 70's/80's but loves hip hop rap crap. (I think it is just a product of when one goes to college. You always favor the music from that era....but sheesh!)

4-Need to give props to all of the Flo guys for appreciating the cheesy awesomeness of Roadhouse. They need to make Roadhouse Blues (by The Doors) as their intro/outro song instead of that goofy-ass tune they are using now.

Last edited:
I've given up trying to listen to him on FRL, but I greatly respect his wrestling insight, love it when he talks technique and I'm glad we have him still involved in the sport.

Every non-Mizzou fanbase thinks Askren hates them.

Reactions: Fatmarc and js8793
Ben is a goober and cracks me up. He actually reminds me of a few buddies of mine. I'd bet it would be cool to hang with him. Lol
Very fun! Watching him teach wrestling is a true pleasure. He loves wrestling and loves little kids. I can forgive his Kramer hair and moronic morning haze. He is actually very humble when it comes to his wrestling. He talks about a slow guy with a dad bod figuring out how to beat guys that were much better athletes.

Great back and forth today on FLR. I think Ben and Starks were pretty much dead on and more logical. Good stuff

Not enough talk about unintended consequences. My take is both the riding time and 3 pt takedown combined will morph into stronger talents just playing catch and release as the standard approach. Mat wrestling will suffer greatly. The top poison has been deincentivized to the point where 4 takedowns can get you a major, let alone bring techs within reach to more matches.

Last edited:
Great back and forth today on FLR. I think Ben and Starks were pretty much dead on and more logical. Good stuff

No enough talk about unintended consequences. My take is both the riding time and 3 pt takedown combined with morph into stronger talents just playing catch and release as the standard approach. Mat wrestling will suffer greatly. The top poison has been deincentivized to the point where 4 takedowns can get you a major, let alone bring techs within reach to more matches.
Given the evolution of mat wrestling, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. There is definitely an art to a tough spiral ride or ankle hook. It's not art I want to look at though.

Bobby didn't snub him FOR Backes. He just snubbed him based on how unathletic he looked. Plus Bono was the one that really snubbed him.

Funny that, years later, Bono has ruined his relationship with Ben and cost himself some of the best recruits in the nation. And somehow Bono is absolutely clueless as to the how/why.

Given the evolution of mat wrestling, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. There is definitely an art to a tough spiral ride or ankle hook. It's not art I want to look at though.
The Marcel Duchamp Fountain is considered art, too.

Fontaine_Duchamp-610x558.jpg

To add on, the rule will only discourage the guys who can't turn from riding - which is what we want. The guys who can turn are still going to mat wrestle.

Reactions: vhsalum
Fans: we hate stalling. The NCAA should do something about it.

Also Fans: not **that** stalling.
I don't have any real concerns about the changes to mat wrestling aimed at eliminating "top stalling", but I worry that some of them get too complicated or convoluted for casual/non-message-board-reading fans.

From my own experience with my dad and most of my friends (who all grew up wrestling and are still fans at varying degrees), they often don't really grasp why points are being scored or not once it deviates from the standard rules everyone learns in elementary or youth wrestling. Whether its the various 5-counts, the evolving overtime rules, the neutral stalling/backing out calls, etc. I find myself explaining these situations to them. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd be able to do that without reading the discussions that take place on this message board.

And while I have my frustrations with some of them, I'm not really arguing about any of the specific/nuanced rules themselves. Just that there's a lot them...

I suspect there will be fewer injuries with the new rules. Sorry wrong page. Anyway did anyone hear why Jason thinks the new rules will be problematic?

Did anybody else catch the Keegan O’Toole documentary on Flo? Askren comes off as a really good guy and a fabulous coach.
I've always liked him and his coaching philosophy. I think he has a hint of Cael in him when it comes to teaching his kids about pressures of the sport, keeping things light and avoiding burnout. With his youngest wrestlers it's all about having fun and loving the sport.

I have a few:

Here's what I think about him... He didn't think this message all the way through. Fortunately for him, he's got a great wife, who, on top of all of her other qualities, has a sense of humor and is forgiving. 😂😂

He cracks me up, hes aware he says dumb shit but he owns it..
That youngest kid is going to put him in the nut house before it's all said and done though..

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT