ADVERTISEMENT

This is what Pitt calls 50k attendance.

40,000 seems a bit high. It appears that the stadium is not even half full - not even close. Let's be generous and say the stadium holds 70k. That would put attendance around 35k. Let's face it, for a game that will be against a team that does not travel well (not Penn State, ND, etc.) realistically that is all Pitt can expect to get.

Yellow seat colored sweatshirts must be getting really popular. Makes it hard to see all their fans though.

In addition to the mustard sweatshirts, they also had yellow bags over their heads. That's why you can't make out any faces!

It did actually fill in after the game started. I have no idea why this was, as I wasn't at the game, but from what I saw on the broadcast and Twitter, it got to the point where almost all of the lower bowl was filled and then a lot of the upper deck was as well.

It also emptied out after halftime because the sun was hitting down pretty hard and the weather was very hot (from what I've heard), and there was thousands of people sitting down in the Great Hall and the other new plaza sections in the concourse watching the game. There were also some that switched seats into some shade, but that will not be an option next week with how packed it's going to be.

50,000 was pretty good for a Pitt-Villanova game.
I watched the game on Espn live streaming and the stadium never came close to 50k.

Reactions: john4psu and biacto
The unfortunate part is that Penn State fans are going to put atmosphere and life into that sterile rented mausoleum of a stadium that is the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers that Pitt uses with the Rooneys permission. Don't tell me about the Stadium Authority. If the Rooneys said no, Pitt would be pleading to use Duquesne's football field. Rooney could threaten to move the Steelers to the suburbs and the Stadium Authority would beg and plead with him to stay in town. That's why they built the stadium for the Rooneys.

So then we're going to hear what a great atmosphere Heinz Field is and/or a Pitt game at Heinz Field. So is anyone raving about the atmosphere at Heinz Field for Pitt-Villanova?

I was at an event on Friday night and was shocked to hear how many PSU fans bought Pitt season tickets (for less than my mandatory "donation") just for tickets for Saturday and are dropping the rest on stubhub for $5 each (going rate??)
$5 is wayyyy too much! Maybe .05 Cents!

$5 is wayyyy too much! Maybe .05 Cents!
Funny thing is that the SPitters say it is unfair to compare their attendance with ours because we have way more alumni - how completely stupid is that thought process when I would wager that a hell of a lot more Pitt alumni live within 30 minutes of their rental stadium than PSU alumnus live near Beaver - I would say most have at least a 3+ hour drive to get to State College. They are always making excuses to compensate for being inferior to us in everything - kind of sad actually.

Reactions: john4psu and biacto
That picture was the opening kickoff. You cant judge a Pitt crowd until at least midway through the 1st Quarter, if not the beginning of the 2nd. Pitt fans are very late arriving as Pitt games are more of social outings and its nearly impossible to get through Heinz Field security. I'd advise you PSU fans to get there super early because for big games, it could take 30-40 minutes to get thorough security. I was at the Military Bowl on the campus of the USNA and there was no security to get in. At Heinz, there's metal detector and a pat-down.

So for those and other reasons, you have to look later in the game to get an accurate read.

I said 45K but 50K I could believe and I admit Pitt makes up attendance numbers. Yesterday's though was pretty accurate.

That picture was the opening kickoff. You cant judge a Pitt crowd until at least midway through the 1st Quarter, if not the beginning of the 2nd. Pitt fans are very late arriving as Pitt games are more of social outings and its nearly impossible to get through Heinz Field security. I'd advise you PSU fans to get there super early because for big games, it could take 30-40 minutes to get thorough security. I was at the Military Bowl on the campus of the USNA and there was no security to get in. At Heinz, there's metal detector and a pat-down.

So for those and other reasons, you have to look later in the game to get an accurate read.

I said 45K but 50K I could believe and I admit Pitt makes up attendance numbers. Yesterday's though was pretty accurate.

Uh yea, right, if you count "the people" dressed as empty mustard-yellow seats. "ASWP games are more of social outings..." - LMFAO.

Uh yea, right, if you count "the people" dressed as empty mustard-yellow seats. "ASWP games are more of social outings..." - LMFAO.

Here's what I'm saying. Post a picture from the 2nd quarter. You know that most crowds are late arriving and this is especially true of Pitt crowds.

I have been saying for years that Pitt embellishes attendance numbers (well, all schools do including PSU) but yesterday, there were a minumum of 45K there, and maybe even the 50K they announced.

It did actually fill in after the game started. I have no idea why this was, as I wasn't at the game, but from what I saw on the broadcast and Twitter, it got to the point where almost all of the lower bowl was filled and then a lot of the upper deck was as well.

It also emptied out after halftime because the sun was hitting down pretty hard and the weather was very hot (from what I've heard), and there was thousands of people sitting down in the Great Hall and the other new plaza sections in the concourse watching the game. There were also some that switched seats into some shade, but that will not be an option next week with how packed it's going to be.

50,000 was pretty good for a Pitt-Villanova game.

Hahaha, sure. Scoreboard says 4:56 left in the 1st quarter and empty yellow seats everywhere.

Hahaha, sure. Scoreboard says 4:56 left in the 1st quarter and empty yellow seats everywhere.

Again, not an accurate picture. Those were the emptiest sections in the lower level. The left section is the Nova section and they didnt bring many fans as you can imagine and the right lower corner section didnt have as many people as sideline sections.

Pitt fans are very honest and realistic about attendance. We know we make up numbers MOST of the time, but not yesterday. Look at the posts on our board about it. Most Pitt fans agree there were at least 45K.

Here's what I'm saying. Post a picture from the 2nd quarter. You know that most crowds are late arriving and this is especially true of Pitt crowds.

I have been saying for years that Pitt embellishes attendance numbers (well, all schools do including PSU) but yesterday, there were a minumum of 45K there, and maybe even the 50K they announced.

Ummm, no. That would mean the stadium was 75% full and the stadium was never even half full at any point during the game (half-full is being generous as it was closer to 1 of every 3 seats occupied...maybe).

Your also full of it regarding PSU's announced attendance - yesterday it was announced at 95K and there were actually 95K in the stands.

Last edited:
Again, not an accurate picture. Those were the emptiest sections in the lower level. The left section is the Nova section and they didnt bring many fans as you can imagine and the right lower corner section didnt have as many people as sideline sections.

Pitt fans are very honest and realistic about attendance. We know we make up numbers MOST of the time, but not yesterday. Look at the posts on our board about it. Most Pitt fans agree there were at least 45K.

Pics. or it didn't happen. LOL! Seriously, someone must have a pic of this 75% full stadium. Aftersll, there are pictures of the empty seats due to "security" at the beginning of the game.

Reactions: john4psu

How about this....YOU post what you think is an accurate picture.

Reactions: john4psu

With as bad as Pitt has sucked for the last 20 years, I think arrive late, leave early is the norm.

So every picture is apparently wrong. First it was a late arriving crowd due to security. Then a crowd that left at halftime (opera must have been starting across town because it was only 14-0 at half on a very late TD). So only good pic that would be acceptable was the small window from mid second quarter until halftime. Then a pic is posted in that small time frame and now it's not accurate because it supposedly showed the emptiest sections in the crowd. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heres a picture of it filled up. Not sure when it was but I'd guess 2nd quarter.

The bleacher seating are always empty, so that's the exception to what is a mostly-filled stadium in this picture. It's also always going to look a little less crowded than what it actually is because of the seat spacing of an NFL stadium. For us, I think that it was a good showing for an FCS, a game where it'd get 40-45K in years past. It helps when 1) you win consistently and 2) you schedule big-time opponents. Penn State and Oklahoma State are good over the next few years for us, and we have Tennessee and WVU coming up after those. Always fun playing the big P5 schools early on.

OMG, you're making my sides hurt.

You show the corner with the student section?

You got me, you win, the place was "filled up."

Heres a picture of it filled up. Not sure when it was but I'd guess 2nd quarter.

The bleacher seating are always empty, so that's the exception to what is a mostly-filled stadium in this picture. It's also always going to look a little less crowded than what it actually is because of the seat spacing of an NFL stadium. For us, I think that it was a good showing for an FCS, a game where it'd get 40-45K in years past. It helps when 1) you win consistently and 2) you schedule big-time opponents. Penn State and Oklahoma State are good over the next few years for us, and we have Tennessee and WVU coming up after those. Always fun playing the big P5 schools early on.

Oklahoma State won't move the attendance needle. Nebraska didn't do much for attendance when they were at Heinz and they brought thousands of fans. Attendance was 40,000 ish announced as 50,000. Pitt should schedule Ohio State, Buckeyes would fill up Heinz. Some games in Columbus cost more than a Pitt season ticket.

These Pitt responses are priceless. James Conner returns from Cancer and they claim Yinzers couldn't put their beer down in order to get into the stadium. But wait, they would have been in earlier but the 40 minute wait for the pat down prevented it. Been to many Steeler games and a Pitt game or 2...not true. Better yet, it was too hot and 25,000 people watched the game in the concession area.

Do you even realize how silly you sound? There were probably 43k in the stadium for James Conners return from Cancer and 30k that decided to get in the stadium early enough to see it. You should be embarrassed not making excuses for it

This. Also, the sections in the middle are the south end zone club, and many of them were watching the game from inside. From what I heard, the sun was too much for some people yesterday.

Dude, you ever been in that club? Not that many people are getting in there at any one time.

Actually, by Pitt standards, you probably can put a lot of people in there.

But anyhow, Pitt fans can't take the sun? It was a perfect day. High was only around 80. Do you think Steeler fans would hide in the club?

Dude, you ever been in that club? Not that many people are getting in there at any one time.

Actually, by Pitt standards, you probably can put a lot of people in there.

But anyhow, Pitt fans can't take the sun? It was a perfect day. High was only around 80. Do you think Steeler fans would hide in the club?

You have to remember Pittsburgh heat is different than State College heat. Pittsburgh heat is more cultured, therefore hotter. That's why Pittsburgh is a vacation paradise.

Why do the PSU fans thrive on attendance? I realize your intent on demeaning Pitt. But, I'm sure there are some positive things going on in the Penn St program that would be a calling card instead. Pitt is not in denial about attendance, they will fill up for the big games such as Penn St, Notre Dame, and WVU, or a conference game of impact. They will sell between 45 and 50k season tix, so the rest are walk-ins or opponent fans. It most likely will only change if they become championship caliber. It is documented that few if any college teams in pro cities sell out consistently. That being said, this Saturday's game should be exciting and competitive. I know my family and I will enjoy it, and hope to enjoy all 4 in the series.

Last edited:
Why does the PSU fans thrive on attendance? I realize your intent on demeaning Pitt. But, I'm sure there are some positive things going on in the Penn St program that would be a calling card instead. Pitt is not in denial about attendance, they will fill up for the big games such as Penn St, Notre Dame, and WVU, or a conference game of impact. They will sell between 45 and 50k season tix, so the rest are walk-ins or opponent fans. It most likely will only change if they become championship caliber. It is documented that few if any college teams in pro cities sell out consistently. That being said, this Saturday's game should be exciting and competitive. I know my family and I will enjoy it, and hope to enjoy all 4 in the series.

For the record, Pitt counts those 3 game plans as a season ticket. They don't sell anywhere near 50,000 full season equivalents, unless PSU or ND fans are buying them up. So let's be clear about that number. And the only reason they even sell as many as they do is because they are very inexpensive.

Reactions: biacto
These Pitt responses are priceless. James Conner returns from Cancer and they claim Yinzers couldn't put their beer down in order to get into the stadium. But wait, they would have been in earlier but the 40 minute wait for the pat down prevented it. Been to many Steeler games and a Pitt game or 2...not true. Better yet, it was too hot and 25,000 people watched the game in the concession area.

Do you even realize how silly you sound? There were probably 43k in the stadium for James Conners return from Cancer and 30k that decided to get in the stadium early enough to see it. You should be embarrassed not making excuses for it

Well, it was just as sunny in Happy Valley yet 95,000 were able to withstand the blistering sun to watch the game...LMFAO!

Well now only half are going to show. Their supposed big time pass rushing transfer from Tennessee has a broken foot. I think he played about two plays for them before getting hurt. Pitt can't help but be Pitt.. lol

Reactions: simons96 and biacto
Well now only half are going to show. Their supposed big time pass rushing transfer from Tennessee has a broken foot. I think he played about two plays for them before getting hurt. Pitt can't help but be Pitt.. lol

at least the 4 idiots with JOE KNEW shirts will stand out . . .

ASWP goes by "theoretic attendance" figures - given that an empty mustard-yellow seat is brighter than the average ASWP fan, they're counted in the attendance figures....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT