ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking of buying a Green Mountain pellet smoker

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
With all the bells and whistles-- auger-fed pellets, wifi controls from your phone, set it and forget it. Has anyone used one?

PITA, or easy to use? GD pellets look kinda costly, too.

Just used one last weekend, very impressed. It was the Davy Crockett model. Easy to use and a $14 bag of pellets goes a long way from what I could tell

Just used one last weekend, very impressed. It was the Davy Crockett model. Easy to use and a $14 bag of pellets goes a long way from what I could tell
I'm going Daniel Boone, next size up, so I'm sure the pellets won't go as far. I am psyched though.

Pellet smokers are fantastic. I have the Rec Tec 680 and I won’t go back. You won’t be upset with the purchase. So easy to cook. I’ve got a large BGE and I use that mainly for steaks now or a spare smoker if I’m cooking for a large group.

Pellets can be expense but I get them off Amazon and usually get good deals on lumberjack pellets. Sometimes they do deals where you get 3 bag bundles at a great price. Just keep an eye out for it.

Good luck!!

Kamado Joe............

That's all you need to know about smoking, grilling, roasting, searing...

Plus, you get to watch video's from John Setzler cooking "ummmmmmm that's gooooood" dishes.

https://www.kamadojoe.com/

Reactions: Nit Nolte
With all the bells and whistles-- auger-fed pellets, wifi controls from your phone, set it and forget it. Has anyone used one?

I have a treager which I believe was one of the first auger/pellet smokers. I've had it over 10 it's. It works great put on some butts or brisket and let it go all night!!!
Yes they are easy to use

Reactions: PSUfiji
I'm going Daniel Boone, next size up, so I'm sure the pellets won't go as far. I am psyched though.

Dem, just curious. With all the wood you've got on your property why not use it instead of buying bags of pellets? Ask one of your neighbors to help you build a grill. It only requires basic welding skills using an Oxy-acetylene torch. Surely living up there in the hollars you've got neighbors adept at bending metal. o_O

1156936970_41c5cd3f15_b.jpg

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Dem, just curious. With all the wood you've got on your property why not use it instead of buying bags of pellets? Ask one of your neighbors to help you build a grill. It only requires basic welding skills using an Oxy-acetylene torch. Surely living up there in the hollars you've got neighbors adept at bending metal. o_O

How about this bad boy... Man Fire Food special...

b2811387a2c44a06510ff5ff1fd11907--bbq-barbecue-area.jpg

Pretty sure I could build it myself, for that matter. But it is a hell of a lot of fussbudgetry involved in smoking meat. When I have a 9 hour cook I would rather just do something else than monitor the meat.

My nephew has a barrel smoker similar to what's pictured there. I help him build it and have done some cooks with him, so I know what it involves. I also give hickory to a guy whose wife works with us. I'm just not interested in that much work.

Reactions: step.eng69
Pretty sure I could build it myself, for that matter. But it is a hell of a lot of fussbudgetry involved in smoking meat. When I have a 9 hour cook I would rather just do something else than monitor the meat.

My nephew has a barrel smoker similar to what's pictured there. I help him build it and have done some cooks with him, so I know what it involves. I also give hickory to a guy whose wife works with us. I'm just not interested in that much work.
Btw, I should tell you that I am moving toward the day when my only wood fires will be slight additions to the heat provided by solar panels.

Reactions: step.eng69
I think this is one of the few things we disagree on Dem. I like that part of it. Eating it's great, but f***ing around w/ it all day is the fun for me.

Last edited:
I would never discourage you from what you want....but my electric smoker from amazon was cheap, really easy to use and the stuff tastes great.

Every type of smoker has it's pluses and minuses.

I have had a large BGE, have used a medow creek barrel smoker a lot, and now own a Big Joe. The versatility of a kamodo can't be beat. But the pellet grills have always had me intrigued with their simplicity of of temp regulation until this past spring.

Someone on this board recommended a Flame Boss temp regulator for smokers and I bit the bullet and bought one. I have been looking at these type of regulators that are Wi-Fi enabled for a long time, but we are on DSL for our ISP. Didn't think it would work because our internet is so basically non-reliable. Took me about 5 hours to update the software and get it working the night before a smoke and my kids all day lacrosse tourney I had to attend.

It preformed awesome despite the DSL and I could monitor and adjust temps while at the game. I have used it 3x since and it has been excellent.

With a pellet grills you are trading off simplicity for variable grilling/smoking options. You will never be able to get that grill over 500 degrees to seer a steak etc.

In all honesty, the high temp stuff is the only thing you are loosing beside burning your own wood like I do.

After my research last year I would spend the extra $ and go with the Rec-Tec mentioned above.

Reactions: jmorovich
Btw, I should tell you that I am moving toward the day when my only wood fires will be slight additions to the heat provided by solar panels.
Dem, as an engineer somewhat familiar with solar panel addition to your utilities, you will need total clearance of trees in the south & southwest direction to achieve summer and winter unobstructed view of the horizon. If you have that, you may be looking at a panel installation of 15' x 40' on your roof for around $25 grand. You will probably save around $800 to $1000 at best per year. The accessories and replacement maintenance will also impact any savings at least twice during your 25 years of service. It is not worth it at this time, maybe in the future. The solar contingency is pushing the government "credit", doesn't mean $hit once you realize the actual economics of the installations. As an engineer, I welcome the solar concept, it's just too expensive of an alternative method at this time. Hopefully in the future it's economically feasible.

Compared to the Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone models in the lineup, how does the Fess Parker model compare?

Does it just “act” like a smoker?:)
Oh, I was gonna get the Jim Bowie, but then you have to wear that stupid knife all the time. Or the Barney Fife, but then...Kevlar shoes. Etc.

I have used the GMG Daniel Boone for over a year now. Works great, easy to use, consistent temperatures etc. You will like it.

Reactions: demlion
Another vote for rectec. Has worked flawlessly for years and it will get to 500 degrees plus to sear, although it will take some time to get there which entails burning a lot of pellets.

I've seen these pellet smokers being sold in a variety of places and they have piqued my interest. So with that in mind, I have a general question for all of you pellet cookers. If you leave the grill outside with pellets remaining in the hopper from the last use, are there problems with dampness in re-lighting the next time you want to use the smoker? Do you have to empty the hopper after every use? My concern has been moisture in the pellets even if the hopper is closed and the smoker has its grill cover on. I'm in Virginia now and it can get quite humid around here in the summer.

I think this is one of the few things we disagree on Dem. I like that part of it. Eating it's great, but f***ing around w/ it all day is the fun for me.

Even better is f***ing around with the smoker with a few friends and some beer... down here in Texas that's a making for an all-nighter! Smoking Brisket is not so much about the end product - although everyone likes to brag about their "rub" being better, it's more about the experience "gettin' tharrrr!" I managed to win awards for my BBQ here at the annual Houston Rodeo Cook-offs. Dumb-founded some of my team's native Texans... who begrudgingly complemented, "Not bad for a damn Yankee." lol

Even better is f***ing around with the smoker with a few friends and some beer... down here in Texas that's a making for an all-nighter! Smoking Brisket is not so much about the end product - although everyone likes to brag about their "rub" being better, it's more about the experience "gettin' tharrrr!" I managed to win awards for my BBQ here at the annual Houston Rodeo Cook-offs. Dumb-founded some of my team's native Texans... who begrudgingly complemented, "Not bad for a damn Yankee." lol
It's a fair point. It's just that all nighters are not nearly so appealing as they used to be 35 years ago.

It's a fair point. It's just that all nighters are not nearly so appealing as they used to be 35 years ago.
You also have a fair point... The all-nighters actually start to close down around midnight or so... then a schedule is made-up amongst the perkiest on who will watch the fire when for the rest of the night... "Hello, auger pellet feeder???" haha

You also have a fair point... The all-nighters actually start to close down around midnight or so... then a schedule is made-up amongst the perkiest on who will watch the fire when for the rest of the night... "Hello, auger pellet feeder???" haha
That's what I'm talkin about!

I've seen these pellet smokers being sold in a variety of places and they have piqued my interest. So with that in mind, I have a general question for all of you pellet cookers. If you leave the grill outside with pellets remaining in the hopper from the last use, are there problems with dampness in re-lighting the next time you want to use the smoker? Do you have to empty the hopper after every use? My concern has been moisture in the pellets even if the hopper is closed and the smoker has its grill cover on. I'm in Virginia now and it can get quite humid around here in the summer.

I have the Cabella’s version. No issues with damp pellets in the hopper. My model does have a quick empty feature too.

I have the Cabella’s version. No issues with damp pellets in the hopper. My model does have a quick empty feature too.
I live in Central Florida and leave my smoker outside year round. I have had no issues with moisture. I do have a cover and keep it covered (when not in use :) ).

Question for those of you that own pellet smokers. I've noticed when eating food cooked on a pellet smoker that the smoke flavor is weak to mild at best, compared to a stick burner or even just wood chips. Is that because of the type/brand of pellets or is that just the nature of the beast? I'll readily admit the smoke ring was there, and the meat was tender and juicy, there just wasn't much smoke flavor. Why?

good question. The humidity has not been a problem for me, knock on wood.(southern WV) I worry about the Pellets getting wet and expanding and clogging the auger. I keep mine under its cover, outside, but on out walk out patio so they are covered from above. When I use it, I roll it out from under the walk out. If I think it is going to rain, I put the smoke side in the rain, but keep the hopper side under the walk out, to keep it out of the rain. So far this has worked well.
I have had 1 auger clog in over 10 yrs, and I am still not sure how that happened.
The best way to relight is to turn it on, and walk away, dont F with it, it seems to work for me.

Question for those of you that own pellet smokers. I've noticed when eating food cooked on a pellet smoker that the smoke flavor is weak to mild at best, compared to a stick burner or even just wood chips. Is that because of the type/brand of pellets or is that just the nature of the beast? I'll readily admit the smoke ring was there, and the meat was tender and juicy, there just wasn't much smoke flavor. Why?
I havent noticed that, but I am not a big fan of a heavy smoke flavor anyway. If you want more smoke, I guess you could leave it on the smoke cycle longer, and then finish the cook.

I've used a GMG Jim Bowie for 3 years. Works great. Very easy to use. Never let the pellets get wet is about the only real thing you have to be concerned with..

Costco sells the pellets pretty cheap. How fast you burn through them depends on how long your cook goes and how cold the temp is outside. If you want to do a 12 hour smoke when it's 30 degrees outside you will go through a lot of wood.

Get the pizza oven attachment, well worth it. The stone will easily get to 700 degrees. Put a pizza in and the cheese will be bubbling in 3 or 4 minutes.

Amazon product ASIN B01MR2NFGT

With pellet smokers the higher the temp the less smoke you get.

If you want more smoke flavor then you have to start out at very low temp, like 180 or 200 for an hour or so. Then up the temp to whatever you normally use.

With the GMG grills that have wifi you can create "recipes" that have different temps and times with their phone app. Then you just connect to grill and download the recipe to it and it pretty much takes care of it.

Never had a problem with leaving the pellets in the hopper. Grill stays outside but is covered when not in use. You definitely do not want the pellets to get wet. They will turn into a slurry and dry like concrete.

the be all end all of smoke and wood, good read for anyone using a smoker or doing long cooks....

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...iring/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and

For all around usage, I would go with a kamado type cooker. Kamado Joe, BGE, Monolith, Blaze, etc. Very versatile and nice size profiles.

I'm not a pellet fan but it may be more result of my interactions with some of the pellet grill sales guys I've encountered. Also I don't like the fact that most aren't made here. And finally, pellets...its just not wood. (I know that it basically is but you know what I mean.)

That being said, if you want to smoke at the top of your game, get a real smoker. Yoder, Lang, Meadowcreek, Barrel smokers, even a Weber Smoky Mountain as a starter. If you want to grill, get yourself a real dedicated wood-fired grill. Santa Maria style grills are great for this and that is what I make for a living, so I may be a bit biased there when it comes to grilling.

Either way, to all you guys, keep cooking outdoors over fire. Keep taking your time and enjoying this. The world is too fast and instant. Grilling and Smoking is not... and that's the beauty of it.

For all around usage, I would go with a kamado type cooker. Kamado Joe, BGE, Monolith, Blaze, etc. Very versatile and nice size profiles.

I'm not a pellet fan but it may be more result of my interactions with some of the pellet grill sales guys I've encountered. Also I don't like the fact that most aren't made here. And finally, pellets...its just not wood. (I know that it basically is but you know what I mean.)

That being said, if you want to smoke at the top of your game, get a real smoker. Yoder, Lang, Meadowcreek, Barrel smokers, even a Weber Smoky Mountain as a starter. If you want to grill, get yourself a real dedicated wood-fired grill. Santa Maria style grills are great for this and that is what I make for a living, so I may be a bit biased there when it comes to grilling.

Either way, to all you guys, keep cooking outdoors over fire. Keep taking your time and enjoying this. The world is too fast and instant. Grilling and Smoking is not... and that's the beauty of it.
I already have a gas grill that will suffice to sear anything. Grilled steaks on it last night. Not interested so much in grilling over a wood fire, but have lots of options if that is what I want to do--two different fire pits with fitted grills, all kinds of lids and tops, etc.

That being said, if you want to smoke at the top of your game, get a real smoker. Yoder, Lang, Meadowcreek, Barrel smokers, even a Weber Smoky Mountain as a starter.

And that being said... "Everything is BIGGER and BETTER in Texas..." to which I finally answered my ole drinking buddies at Slick Willie's Family Pool Hall (a head scratcher right there "family pool hall?" only in Texas), "Yes, everything... including your BS!" And that's the moment they all laughed and slapped me on my back, and complimented me for the first time. "Not bad for a damn Yankee." True story, as most of mine are...

And when we are talking smokers here in Houston, there is none higher regarded than a manufacturer less than 5 miles from where I am typing this message. BBQ Pitts by Klose.

Thanks for the responses Sluggo and Rumble. Is there anyone out in SC or GA that uses one regularly?

I live in the midwest in an area that's considered pretty humid in the summertime, at the moment it's 77 degrees and 80% humidity. I've never had any problems, I do store my pellets inside the house in an airtight container. The only problem I've had was when I once purchased a bag that had a hole in it and I couldn't get the temperature past 300 degrees.

I live in the midwest in an area that's considered pretty humid in the summertime, at the moment it's 77 degrees and 80% humidity. I've never had any problems, I do store my pellets inside the house in an airtight container. The only problem I've had was when I once purchased a bag that had a hole in it and I couldn't get the temperature past 300 degrees.

The Treager pellets sold at Costco come in heavy duty plastic bags with a ginormous zip lock seal at the top. Very convenient.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT