ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking back to last seasons end worries and concerns on this board....

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Many predicted that this season we would be in dire straights because we didn't have Defensive Tackles....
Many were wrong.

This season many are predicting we will be at dire straights at linebacker.
Many could be just as wrong.

One reason for this, I truly believe is Dwight Galt and CJFs philosophy of recruiting speed that can be transformed in the weight room. Another reason is that PSU may possess the most expeditious all around training staff in college football. Or, at the very least one of the most expeditious. The 'get at your future and graduate in 3.5 years' philosophy of CJF contributes to this. I think this is also exciting and motivating to many recruits. It appeals to those that want responsibility and does not appeal to those that shun it. it creates an environment where you can earn early playing time and not just be given early playing time because there is no one ahead of you. Compete early, play early..... maybe not every down, but often enough to learn and get better quickly.

It is hard not to be truly excited about the overall long and short term prospects for the PSU football program unless one is by nature, most often negative about everything.

Last edited:
Many predicted that this season we would be in dire straights because we didn't have Defensive Tackles....
Many were wrong.

One reason for this, I truly believe is Dwight Galt and CJFs philosophy of recruiting speed that can be transformed in the weight room. Another reason is that PSU may possess the most expeditious all around training staff in college football. Or, at the very least one of the most expeditious. The 'get at your future and graduate in 3.5 years' philosophy of CJF contributes to this. I think this is also exciting and motivating to many recruits. It appeals to those that want responsibility and does not appeal to those that shun it. it creates an environment where you can earn early playing time and not just be given early playing time because there is no one ahead of you. Compete early, play early..... maybe not every down, but often enough to learn and get better quickly.

It is hard not to be truly excited about the overall long and short term prospects for the PSU football program unless one is by nature, most often negative.

You could be right. Loss of Bowen really hurts though. Experience is a big concern. Basically have Brown and Farmer back and little else with any game time experience (is Smith back?). Hope Brooks, Faison Walden, Franklin, and Parsons can get up to speed early. Good news is secondary and line should be good to very good.

You could be right. Loss of Bowen really hurts though. Experience is a big concern. Basically have Brown and Farmer back and little else with any game time experience (is Smith back?). Hope Brooks, Faison Walden, Franklin, and Parsons can get up to speed early. Good news is secondary and line should be good to very good.
Smith graduates. Should be a great wide-open competition. These guys are gonna be hungry to get playing time.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Yeah, no doubt about lack of experience; Bowen's departure is a loss, but he didn't really play up to expectations, never developed great anticipation, etc. that are common to really good LBs.

Lack of talent? I have a hunch the new guys will be quite good, though it may take a few games to get going.

The most frequent concern that I recall was how we would replace the production of Godwin. Well, I think Hamilton and Johnson really stepped up and Thompkins was pretty good as well.

Now I expect many to claim the passing game will suffer (as they did last year) with Gesecki and Hamilton gone (Barkley too, he was a great receiver). But I think we have 2 young guys redshirting in the slot who can do some of what Hamilton did and maybe have a bit more speed. I’m thinking TE is by committee and includes at least 1 of the true freshmen who are just as talented as Gesecki but without the experience. I think we get better blocking out of the position and less through the air. But add in Shorter and an improved OL and we very well could match or exceed this year’s production in the passing game.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
People so often forget Jarvis. But for injury, he would have gotten more reps the second half of the season. The other thing that helps is the teams early schedule. As much as we bitch about the quality of the opponents, in terms of development, I think it is more important to play teams with diverse offenses than highly rated teams. adaptation to a diverse set of offensive schemes and looks can help build experience quickly.

Many were wrong.

It is hard not to be truly excited about the overall long and short term prospects for the PSU football program unless one is by nature, most often negative about everything.

I seriously don't remember anybody thinking that DT would be a major problem this year. Cothran, Cothren, and Chavis were all experienced and returning for their senior years. Add sophomores Givens and Windsor. I do recall concerns about DT recruiting. Only White in 2014 (now gone), no DTs in 2015 and only Chavis (2 yrs) and Jordan in 2016. Bolds and Hansard last year but it's not easy to count on RS freshmen. Depth is a real concern next year. We need Jordan to take a big step forward.

I seem to remember people being pretty stoked just on sheer number of returning players. For me, it's always the lines. We thought the OL would be better and they still need more time to marinate. Next year, I think both lines play better which will be big. I'm seeing 10-2 again. A split with the Michigan teams and one other loss along the way.

Reactions: Nitwit
A random thought with respect to fears coming into this season - one phrase we don't seem to hear any longer is "50-50 balls".... At LB IMO a wide open competition is best and will actually result in a better LB corp by end of 2018. I disagree that Bowen's loss is a big one. An objective grade of his play, IMO, would be a C-. Brown would be lower. We must upgrade at LB and I am cautiously optimistic that the group who will be competing will yield some playmakers - Brooks, Faison-Weldon, Parsons, Luketa, Tarburton and Katshir in August. Suppose hypothetically our 2 deep at LB is Brooks, Parsons and Faison-Weldon backed up by Luketa, Tarburton and Katshir. That could be an exciting group and I understand this leaves out Farmer and Brown and Miller and Cooper. IMO the competition will be a very good thing.

Many were wrong.

You are so right. I have completely dismissed what this board has to say from so called "people in the know" after what happened on these boards after the 2015 season. Frankly, it was disgraceful. I'm no expert, but I turned out to be right and they were massively wrong.

Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT