ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Johnson punishment

Last edited:

Here is a pretty complete article on the topic:

Penn State's Theo Johnson Admitted to First-Time Offender Program

He is only admitting to two extremely minor misdemeanor charges (the absurd felony charges originally brought by hyperbolic, attention-seeking prosecutors were dropped).

He'll have no criminal record if he successfully completes the ARD. This is extremely minor as predicted by many at the time charges were originally brought.

He is only admitting to two extremely minor misdemeanor charges (the absurd felony charges originally brought by hyperbolic, attention-seeking prosecutors were dropped).

He'll have no criminal record if he successfully completes the ARD. This is extremely minor as predicted by many at the time charges were originally brought.
I'm still thinking we won't see him vs WVa

Wasn’t Spanier charged with a very minor misdemeanor? :eek:

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
This is a non story. There should be no impact on Theo’s playing status as long as coach Franklin is satisfied with Theo’s explanation of what really happened.

Time to discuss more important matters like how the Penn State TEs will be a terrific weapon for Drew Allar this season.

This is a non story. There should be no impact on Theo’s playing status as long as coach Franklin is satisfied with Theo’s explanation of what really happened.

Time to discuss more important matters like how the Penn State TEs will be a terrific weapon for Drew Allar this season.
Punching kids and sending them to the hospital is a non story? We all want him to play but cmon now.

Would like to see the video but yeah, if he was the first to swing he should be out at least a game
He was invited, shows up, invite was recinded by a frat boy wearing $560 sunglasses, was likely surrounded by privileged frat boys who all had friend muscles and pushed him (likely physically) out the door.

I think Mr. Sunglasses likely had it coming and was the one that needed to learn a lesson. Better he learn it here than on a street in some democrat run city.

Punching kids and sending them to the hospital is a non story? We all want him to play but cmon now.

"Sent him to the hospital" - LMAO, how many times are you going to cry this drama-boy. He was never admitted into a Hospital - he was sent to an outpatient facility for evaluation... no broken bones, no stitches, no missing teeth... he was released without being admitted to a hospital genius, but I'm guessing you don't even know the difference between "outpatient" and "hospitalized".... actually you probably do but are trying to over-dramatize the situation to make it sound there was major damage done. Laughable to claim this kid was "hospitalized" by TJ - utterly laughable and false claim to make. Again, being sent for outpatient evaluation is not equivalent to being hospitalized.

Kids? Fraternities are taking in kindergarteners now. 😂 When did that happen?

Are you saying fraternity brothers can only handle cat fights?

Seriously, the team doesn't need Theo to start the season. Is it only the optics that matter to you? If so, consider this if Theo were a player in the SEC he would have been penalized by the team because a gun, knife or rape was not involved.

Kids? Fraternities are taking in kindergarteners now. 😂 When did that happen?

Are you saying fraternity brothers can only handle cat fights?

Seriously, the team doesn't need Theo to start the season. Is it only the optics that matter to you? If so, consider this if Theo were a player in the SEC he would have been penalized by the team because a gun, knife or rape was not involved.
Cat fight?

• Haha
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
"Sent him to the hospital" - LMAO, how many times are you going to cry this drama-boy. He was never admitted into a Hospital - he was sent to an outpatient facility for evaluation... no broken bones, no stitches, no missing teeth... he was released without being admitted to a hospital genius, but I'm guessing you don't even know the difference between "outpatient" and "hospitalized".... actually you probably do but are trying to over-dramatize the situation to make it sound there was major damage done. Laughable to claim this kid was "hospitalized" by TJ - utterly laughable and false claim to make. Again, being sent for outpatient evaluation is not equivalent to being hospitalized.
"drama-boy"

Got You Smile GIF

petty pathetic how this board passes this off as nothing. Just a punch!. Let's make a big deal over outpatient versus hospital. Do you really understand how serious this could have been?

I'll tell you how serious. In March, my son had a small verbal argument (with somebody he knew). My son grabs a beer and offers it to him as a peace offering. The guy knocks the beer out of his hand and punched him twice in the head.

One of the punches caused a brain bleed, and he died on the spot. The perp is facing involuntary manslaughter charges and a minimum of eight years in jail.

Four months later, and you have no idea how tough every day is!

Nothing to it, right? No big deal. The 'frat boy' probably deserved it, right?

Yes, I was in fights in my younger days, but anyone dismissing this as nothing because you want him on the field is pathetic!

petty pathetic how this board passes this off as nothing. Just a punch!. Let's make a big deal over outpatient versus hospital. Do you really understand how serious this could have been?

I'll tell you how serious. In March, my son had a small verbal argument (with somebody he knew). My son grabs a beer and offers it to him as a peace offering. The guy knocks the beer out of his hand and punched him twice in the head.

One of the punches caused a brain bleed, and he died on the spot. The perp is facing involuntary manslaughter charges and a minimum of eight years in jail.

Yes, I was in fights in my younger days, but anyone dismissing this as nothing because you want him on the field is pathetic!
Wow, so sorry this happened to you and your family. Life is so precarious …….we rarely understand that. One life gone, dozens of lives changed forever.

Thanks for sharing such a difficult thing.

I agree with @The Spin Meister. so sorry to hear of this and I can't imagine the devastation. And you are right, once somebody gets physical, you never know. I had a business friend who fell over her dog's leash and hit her head on a curb and died. She was just under 40, the investor relations VP of a large bank, targeted for greatness and a big fitness advocate.

For Theo specifically, we don't know the details. Did Theo throw a punch in self-defense or did he initiate it with the frat boy? The person who throws the first punch loses unless they are defending themselves. I doubt Theo at 6-6 and 265 has much to be concerned about. Having said that, the media seems to promote fighting and pretends like it is inconsequential. I've spent the last five years trying to teach my 19 year old that getting drunk, taking drugs, participating in fights, and having sex with anyone who looks attractive is NOT the path to happiness that Hollywood/entertainment industry pretends it to be. A year into college, after watching several kids pay serious personal penalties for such behavior, she is finally starting to realize that her "boomer" mother and father were correct. To be fair, I had to go through the same process at that age, myself.

For Theo specifically, we don't know the details. Did Theo throw a punch in self-defense or did he initiate it with the frat boy?
You're correct that we don't know the details but I doubt he would have been charged with assault and criminal mischief if it was purely self defense.

Yes, it's true that your troll post had zero to do with the topic being discussed and that you're a douchebag.
Someone sh!t in your cereal? Take a Valium, please. You’re wonder tighter than a diamond

Maybe the point of the post was that never underestimate the power of “politics” and public pressure influencing what should be right.

I wonder if you've ever committed any minor misdemeanors (or worse?) and not been caught, or charged? Wanna have a "bare your soul" discussion in a new thread?
Read my reply below (oops; above)

You're correct that we don't know the details but I doubt he would have been charged with assault and criminal mischief if it was purely self defense.
Well, being married to a defense lawyer, I am sad to say that you are incorrect in that regard. Especially if the frat kid was "connected". I can tell you a few dozen stories but I'll start with just one. My wife repped a woman who got pulled over and charged with a DUI. She flew back into town to bury her mother who had died and had a rental car. While trying to understand the car, she went left of center by mere inches. They spent 15 minutes with the officers patrol car camera trying to zoom in on the line to see if it actually crossed the line to the legal standard and the judge finally decided it did by just an inch or so. that determined it was a legal stop. The officer pulled her over and when IDing her, noticed she had "red eyes" so gave her a field test. She explained her red eyes were from crying as she just buried her mother. One of those field tests was to walk the line. She had on four-inch heels so grabbed the officer's arm as she stepped out of the heels. It was 24 degrees so she now, in her stocking feet, had to walk the line on frozen concrete. the officer said she failed and she took a breathalyzer. She passed. She, unfortunately, told the officer that she buried her month just hours before and took a valium to calm herself down. She was cuffed, hauled to jail, spent the night, and charged with DUI. The judge gave her the lowest DUI she could but it is still a DUI on her record. The cop and prosecution would not budge off of the conviction. My wife discovered this particular officer had 30% more convictions than any other cop for DUIs and had gotten awards from MAD and other advocacy groups which included gift cards and recommendations for promotions. the prosecutor ran for judge based on her "tough on crime" stance including a 100% success rate in convicting drunk drivers (she lost).

Last edited:
Really?

You don't know much about DA standard theatrics of our times and pseudo victims trolling for unwarranted settlements. The actual final ruling clearly defines what was supported by the facts.

Your wish to reinvent facts to fit your no fact narrative is beyond ridiculous.

As usual slap fighting over something that is solely the coaches decision.

Who said they dismissed it as nothing because they want him on the field? And as sorry as we may feel for your son if the story is true and accurate, it is one anecdotal story that seems to be an extremely improbable case. Probably a million kids take millions of punches every year in the US for a myriad of reasons. 99.9% of them are just fine and shake it off. Throw alcohol in the mix and you are increasing your odds of bad outcomes.

The vast majority of these incidents aren't elevated beyond what we saw happen here for 1 single punch when the kid was outnumbered probably at least 20 to 1. The legal system already ruled on this case. It's over. Anything on top of that is double jeopardy.

Who said they dismissed it as nothing because they want him on the field? And as sorry as we may feel for your son if the story is true and accurate, it is one anecdotal story that seems to be an extremely improbable case. Probably a million kids take millions of punches every year in the US for a myriad of reasons. 99.9% of them are just fine and shake it off. Throw alcohol in the mix and you are increasing your odds of bad outcomes.

The vast majority of these incidents aren't elevated beyond what we saw happen here for 1 single punch when the kid was outnumbered probably at least 20 to 1. The legal system already ruled on this case. It's over. Anything on top of that is double jeopardy.
Sorry but that isn’t double jeopardy. Molest a kid go to jail AND lose your job. Same with being busted for heroin.

As a football player he gets special privileges that come with additional responsibilities. And he becomes a role model for thousands of people.

He should have walked away. No frat party is worth this cost.

Sorry but that isn’t double jeopardy. Molest a kid go to jail AND lose your job. Same with being busted for heroin.

As a football player he gets special privileges that come with additional responsibilities. And he becomes a role model for thousands of people.

I don't disagree that he should have walked away. He may think the same. You cannot go back in time and get a do over. Evidence was brought against him for his action and he was sentenced appropriately. How many punches do you think are thrown on a campus with 50,000 kids each weekend? He threw one of them on one weekend. He was punished for that likely more than the average student who has thrown a punch in State College. End of story.

Reactions: blair10

Bull shit.

What privileges? Working an 80 hour week for nil in NIL.. from PSU that hasn't even broken the top 20 in div 1 programs in NIL compensation. He gets free hours from Lasch on occasion to go to classes.

Have you ever gotten the privilege of taking a week or two to spend with any of these players and try and eek out a few hours in that time to actually get to talk to them? I have.

The punishment should fit the crime and has been set. Anything additional will be trivial in any event and only PR for the University. Sitting out some yawners at the start of the season will teach him a lesson? What would that lesson be? Perhaps that these yawners are scheduled for money and this type of crap. Sitting out WVU, Delaware and Illinois... Ya, that'll break his heart.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT