ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Johnson punishment

Well, being married to a defense lawyer, I am sad to say that you are incorrect in that regard. Especially if the frat kid was "connected". I can tell you a few dozen stories but I'll start with just one. My wife repped a woman who got pulled over and charged with a DUI. She flew back into town to bury her mother who had died and had a rental car. While trying to understand the car, she went left of center by mere inches. They spent 15 minutes with the officers patrol car camera trying to zoom in on the line to see if it actually crossed the line to the legal standard and the judge finally decided it did by just an inch or so. that determined it was a legal stop. The officer pulled her over and when IDing her, noticed she had "red eyes" so gave her a field test. She explained her red eyes were from crying as she just buried her mother. One of those field tests was to walk the line. She had on four-inch heels so grabbed the officer's arm as she stepped out of the heels. It was 24 degrees so she now, in her stocking feet, had to walk the line on frozen concrete. the officer said she failed and she took a breathalyzer. She passed. She, unfortunately, told the officer that she buried her month just hours before and took a valium to calm herself down. She was cuffed, hauled to jail, spent the night, and charged with DUI. The judge gave her the lowest DUI she could but it is still a DUI on her record. The cop and prosecution would not budge off of the conviction. My wife discovered this particular officer had 30% more convictions than any other cop for DUIs and had gotten awards from MAD and other advocacy groups which included gift cards and recommendations for promotions. the prosecutor ran for judge based on her "tough on crime" stance including a 100% success rate in convicting drunk drivers (she lost).
Dang, that sounds like the adult version of kids for cash scandal. Just listened to that podcast on the drive to Myrtle Beach.

Reactions: Obliviax
Bull shit.

What privileges? Working an 80 hour week for nil in NIL.. from PSU that hasn't even broken the top 20 in div 1 programs in NIL compensation. He gets free hours from Lasch on occasion to go to classes.

Have you ever gotten the privilege of taking a week or two to spend with any of these players and try and eek out a few hours in that time to actually get to talk to them? I have.

The punishment should fit the crime and has been set. Anything additional will be trivial in any event and only PR for the University. Sitting out some yawners at the start of the season will teach him a lesson? What would that lesson be? Perhaps that these yawners are scheduled for money and this type of crap. Sitting out WVU, Delaware and Illinois... Ya, that'll break his heart.
Double jeopardy only refers to criminal charges. A person can be sued with civil litigation and liability. One takes that into account when they plead to a criminal count. The kid that lost his $500 sunglasses, or whatever, can sue for damages. Those damages can be Dr. bills and damage...even lost time at work or class.

Regardless, PSU can expel him if they want. Don't forget the kangaroo courts Vicky Trippany wanted to put into place when JoePa was coach. She wanted to expel something like 9 players for a fight that took place at an apartment after a kid knocked the phone out of a player's GF's hand (or something like that).

I don't know Theo from Adam. IMHO, he got off lightly and, hopefully, learned a lesson so he won't repeat it. It would have taken nothing for him to walk away. I am sure every frat and almost every woman on campus would welcome him with open arms and legs.

Who said they dismissed it as nothing because they want him on the field? And as sorry as we may feel for your son if the story is true and accurate, it is one anecdotal story that seems to be an extremely improbable case. Probably a million kids take millions of punches every year in the US for a myriad of reasons. 99.9% of them are just fine and shake it off. Throw alcohol in the mix and you are increasing your odds of bad outcomes.

The vast majority of these incidents aren't elevated beyond what we saw happen here for 1 single punch when the kid was outnumbered probably at least 20 to 1. The legal system already ruled on this case. It's over. Anything on top of that is double jeopardy.
This is more analogous to consequences from legal system vs parental sanctions.

Good luck with that double jeopardy angle.

Reactions: SR108
Double jeopardy only refers to criminal charges. A person can be sued with civil litigation and liability. One takes that into account when they plead to a criminal count. The kid that lost his $500 sunglasses, or whatever, can sue for damages. Those damages can be Dr. bills and damage...even lost time at work or class.

Regardless, PSU can expel him if they want. Don't forget the kangaroo courts Vicky Trippany wanted to put into place when JoePa was coach. She wanted to expel something like 9 players for a fight that took place at an apartment after a kid knocked the phone out of a player's GF's hand (or something like that).

I don't know Theo from Adam. IMHO, he got off lightly and, hopefully, learned a lesson so he won't repeat it. It would have taken nothing for him to walk away. I am sure every frat and almost every woman on campus would welcome him with open arms and legs.
Everyone knows it is not legal Double Jeopardy. But it sure is fake bs..m

Since you were in the courtroom ... What is the basis for your feelings that he got off easy... Bias... Premonition.. Ouija board?

Really?

You don't know much about DA standard theatrics of our times and pseudo victims trolling for unwarranted settlements. The actual final ruling clearly defines what was supported by the facts.

Your wish to reinvent facts to fit your no fact narrative is beyond ridiculous.

Exactly, the final disposition of the case reflects that it was not found to be extremely serious - the felony charges were dropped and TJ was required to plead to two very minor misdemeanors, and enroll in the ADR Program. The misdemeanor convictions will be expunged after completion of ADR and he will have no record..... but let's change the facts of the actual disposition (which say it is a minor situation) to suit our needs to make a mountain out of a mole-hill and claim it's an ultra-serious situation [insert eyeroll]. Let's talk about actual facts of the actual disposition rather than all these hypothetical facts and situations that could have been.

petty pathetic how this board passes this off as nothing. Just a punch!. Let's make a big deal over outpatient versus hospital. Do you really understand how serious this could have been?

I'll tell you how serious. In March, my son had a small verbal argument (with somebody he knew). My son grabs a beer and offers it to him as a peace offering. The guy knocks the beer out of his hand and punched him twice in the head.

One of the punches caused a brain bleed, and he died on the spot. The perp is facing involuntary manslaughter charges and a minimum of eight years in jail.

Four months later, and you have no idea how tough every day is!

Nothing to it, right? No big deal. The 'frat boy' probably deserved it, right?

Yes, I was in fights in my younger days, but anyone dismissing this as nothing because you want him on the field is pathetic!
Prayers for you and your family. The loss of child is unimaginable. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Kids? Fraternities are taking in kindergarteners now. 😂 When did that happen?

Are you saying fraternity brothers can only handle cat fights?

Seriously, the team doesn't need Theo to start the season. Is it only the optics that matter to you? If so, consider this if Theo were a player in the SEC he would have been penalized by the team because a gun, knife or rape was not involved.
He should've called Allar or Singleton and asked them to drive over his gun......then everything would be peachy.

Not to put us in the Bama cesspool but I think the experience of going through the process in the legal system, and relative humiliation, for something that many of us (including myself) have likely experienced on a State College party night, is punishment enough.

If he is smart, dude will keep a low to no social profile from now until the NFL Draft Combine.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
petty pathetic how this board passes this off as nothing. Just a punch!. Let's make a big deal over outpatient versus hospital. Do you really understand how serious this could have been?

I'll tell you how serious. In March, my son had a small verbal argument (with somebody he knew). My son grabs a beer and offers it to him as a peace offering. The guy knocks the beer out of his hand and punched him twice in the head.

One of the punches caused a brain bleed, and he died on the spot. The perp is facing involuntary manslaughter charges and a minimum of eight years in jail.

Four months later, and you have no idea how tough every day is!

Nothing to it, right? No big deal. The 'frat boy' probably deserved it, right?

Yes, I was in fights in my younger days, but anyone dismissing this as nothing because you want him on the field is pathetic!
Mike W 31- I've lost a 23 year old brother in law in a bar fight when someone hit him over the head with a pool cue and my freshman daughter at college to a bizarre medical condition that was diagnosed as "flu like symptoms" but then overcame her body in 24 hours. She died in her dorm bed.

I know and feel your pain. Life does become a form of living hell- regardless of the circumstances of the rest of your family and excistence. But there are some coping mechanisms which have helped us. The first is: whatever works for you is ok. My wife and I are on very different paths on how we have handled these situations, and that is alright.

Secondly. See your doctors. You are at exveptionally high risk of internal or external harm. You brain is not working. You'll look back and have no clue. My bride fell down the steps breaking 15 bones in her face, lost teeth, concussed more than anold NFL player and is frankly lucky to be alive. My blood pressure- which had NEVER/EVER been an issue and I spiked. Luckily I work in a school, got daily BP checks, and when the condition was apparent, proper medical help. Depression is very real, cannot be "toughed out", and is something that ypur physician can help your explore.

Many recommended The Compassionate Friends and eventually that group helped us bridge the early years. We soon took some friends we made from there and have done our own thing as the formal meetings can be rough when new "members" arrive. As a teacher I felt the need to help and educate, however my wife is an empath and the emotions were just more than she could handle. So many stories, like yours, are just tragic loss.

I'm not sure how the direct messaging works here- but early in my public Board life a dude from Baltimore who is unfortunately in our sad ass club offered get in touch- I regret not taking him up on that. If you know I'm willing.

We just hit the 5 year mark, and there is some clearing from the fog. Things will never be "great" again, but there is a new reality that we have been forced to embrace. There is hope for occasionally sunny days- like today when we celebrated my wife's 60th birthday in New Hope. We didn't all sit around and think about the empty chair for the first time. Losing your child is the most complex mindf_ck and the worst form of torture. Anyone who says they "can't imagine" is 100% correct.

Sincere condolences and blessings. It takes one to know one, and I'm with you. Whenever....if ever...you think I could provide even the smallest bit of assistance I'm ready.

I don't think he should be suspended but a lot of people saying he shouldn't be would be criticizing other programs if he wasn't.

Reactions: bison13
Imagine if it was OSU. OP would have wanted death penalty lol

Yeah, duhO$U and scUM have given game suspensions for every single one of their players that has been involved in a local fight??? Mmmhhhmmm, sure they have - is that why Mazi Smith was released on his own recognizance by calling the Michigan-graduate prosecutor to the jail under extraordinary circumstances so he could travel with team on a Friday last year after he was arrested for Felony Gun Charges???

Yeah all b1g hypocrite asshole teams give game suspensions for misdemeanor fighting charges.... sure they do! LMFAO.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Yeah, duhO$U and scUM have given game suspensions for every single one of their players that has been involved in a local fight??? Mmmhhhmmm, sure they have - is that why Mazi Smith was released on his own recognizance by calling the Michigan-graduate prosecutor to the jail under extraordinary circumstances so he could travel with team on a Friday last year after he was arrested for Felony Gun Charges???

Yeah all b1g hypocrite asshole teams give game suspensions for misdemeanor fighting charges.... sure they do! LMFAO.
Who was saying they do suspend all their players? In fact, there should ve less. Your comments about Mazi Smith prove my point. Clearly the NFL deemed them to be important as well smh

I lost both my son's, which were all the children I had. What that has to do with this case is exactly nothing. Devastated, hell on earth, damn right. But punish everyone unjustifiably because of that? Hell no, that would be an insult to both my son's. Mike W.. Think about that for a moment.

Who was saying they do suspend all their players? In fact, there should ve less. Your comments about Mazi Smith prove my point. Clearly the NFL deemed them to be important as well smh

Too funny, let me get this straight - it's standard practice for the Ann Arbor Justice System to release people arrested on Felony Gun Charges on their own recognizance within hours of their arrest? Is that why an Eastern Michigam University Basketball Player was arrested on identical charges to Mazi Smith less than a year earlier in Ann Arbor and was order held in jail for several days until his Bail Hearing could be held and was ultimately forced to pay bail (not released on his own recognizance within hours of his arrest and booking by a scUM-Graduate Prosecutor)??? Just curious, since you know so much douchebag.

So, you have none except one of those I suggested or similar, like a hunch. In your occupation are you privileged and have extra responsibility as a role model, beyond the law?
I grow bored with this conversation.

We don’t know, either one of us. As such, we have to assume his choice to plead is the final say.

Too funny, let me get this straight - it's standard practice for the Ann Arbor Justice System to release people arrested on Felony Gun Charges on their own recognizance within hours of their arrest? Is that why an Eastern Michigam University Basketball Player was arrested on identical charges to Mazi Smith less than a year earlier in Ann Arbor and was order held in jail for several days until his Bail Hearing could be held and was ultimately forced to pay bail (not released on his own recognizance within hours of his arrest and booking by a scUM-Graduate Prosecutor)??? Just curious, since you know so much douchebag.
What does any of this have to do with him being suspended or not?
Regarding your off-topic question, I don't know the full story with Bates regarding how long he was held. I'd have to research that but safe to say Mazi had a better attorney.

Sorry but that isn’t double jeopardy. Molest a kid go to jail AND lose your job. Same with being busted for heroin.

As a football player he gets special privileges that come with additional responsibilities. And he becomes a role model for thousands of people.

He should have walked away. No frat party is worth this cost.
Violating team rules and receiving consequences as a result, in addition to the legal process playing itself out is not double jeopardy.
I will be surprised and disappointed if there are not Franklin consequences, although we may never actually know what the consequences are, because Franklin keeps things in house, as he should.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Most likely, (and just speculating), there was a female at the frat party he was interested in.

Do they still let females into bars in state college? Even recently I've seen football players and their entourages ushered into bars there without IDs being checked.

Regardless, and I know he was drunk and the guy deserved it and said terrible things about Theo's mother, sister, woman and the size of his junk, you just can't punch people in the face when you're 6'6 260.

He's lucky, as shown in some earlier, very unfortunate posts, the worst thing that happened is some designer sunglasses were broken.

Off topic but my girlfriend my senior year setup a fake dating profile for a girl she had a falling out with and put the girls phone number in it so she'd get bombarded with text messages from thirsty dudes. The State College DA at the time charged her with identity theft and wanted actual jail time. She ended up pleading guilty and got 2 or 3 years probation, over creepy text messages and a couple slutty pictures in an online profile. Made it almost impossible for her to get a job after graduating. Had to go back to the company she interned at because they already had the background check on file from before everything. (Ironically that DA lost her law license over setting up fake facebook profiles)

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Violating team rules and receiving consequences as a result, in addition to the legal process playing itself out is not double jeopardy.
I will be surprised and disappointed if there are not Franklin consequences, although we may never actually know what the consequences are, because Franklin keeps things in house, as he should.

The only thing we should be surprised and disappointed about is the amount of time spent discussing a non story. It’s embarrassing enough some rich frat boy could not just move on from this little dust up. Man up and move on. Ed Rendell once said we have become a nation of wusses. Let’s prove him wrong.

so don’t go to their parties… Theo is of age, go to a bar.
When you are invited, you may decide to go. When you are told at the door by a privileged kid wearing $560 sunglasses that you are no longer invited, then you may have issue with it. If he and 20 of his buddies with friend muscles try to push you out the door, you may take exception.

The only thing we should be surprised and disappointed about is the amount of time spent discussing a non story. It’s embarrassing enough some rich frat boy could not just move on from this little dust up. Man up and move on. Ed Rendell once said we have become a nation of wusses. Let’s prove him wrong.
Theo plead guilty

When you are invited, you may decide to go. When you are told at the door by a privileged kid wearing $560 sunglasses that you are no longer invited, then you may have issue with it. If he and 20 of his buddies with friend muscles try to push you out the door, you may take exception.
You shouldn't have an issue with it--it's not your place. You leave--like an adult. If you don't then you're responsible for what happens. As Theo took responsibility for. Hopefully lesson learned.

Reactions: bdgan

- When you are told at the door by a privileged kid wearing $560 sunglasses that you are no longer invited, then you may have issue with it.- And punching someone in the face is not an appropriate response.

-If he and 20 of his buddies with friend muscles try to push you out the door, you may take exception.-
And punching someone in the face is still not an appropriate response. If 20 guys are trying to push you out of their house you should probably just leave...

- When you are told at the door by a privileged kid wearing $560 sunglasses that you are no longer invited, then you may have issue with it.- And punching someone in the face is not an appropriate response.

-If he and 20 of his buddies with friend muscles try to push you out the door, you may take exception.- And punching someone in the face is still not an appropriate response. If 20 guys are trying to push you out of their house you should probably just leave...
It is a private property. When someone tells you that you are not welcome, you leave.

What no one has brought up is that the team should and probably did have several meetings with the team to teach them how to deal with these things. Being football players puts a target on their backs wherever beer muscles grow.

They need to learn how deal with, to brush it off and/or walk away, Hell, we all need to learn that lesson.

Reactions: Online Persona
Love this thread, it’s just like a Math Problem, there’s no right or wrong answer.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT