ADVERTISEMENT

The Visual and Audio Dynamics at Carver Hawkeye Arena

IndianaNittanyLion

Dec 8, 2015
We’ve had a wonderful time at the Big Tens in Iowa City. The Iowa fans have been great. They love their wrestling and root hard for their team. They vastly outnumber all of the fans from the rest of the league. Penn State clearly has the second largest number of fans in attendance and our section (JJ) is right next to the Iowa fans. It makes for some fun and interesting dynamics. Those dynamics were particularly evident yesterday when PSU and Iowa squared off. The Gilman / Megaludis match was classic and one I won’t soon forget. Both are excellent wrestlers. Every time Gilman had the advantage, the Iowa crowd boomed their approval. In response, the smaller PSU crowd (about 1/10th the Iowa crowd) rose from their seats and screamed their support when Nico gained the advantage. With both crowds right next to each other, the visual and audio experiences were highlighted. At the end of the 3rd period, Gilman had the upper hand nearly taking Nico down for a match winning takedown. The Iowa crowd rose in their seats and screamed in anticipation. However, Nico did the splits (amazing in my mind) and frustrated Gilman’s attempt as time ran out. In response the PSU crowd likewise rose in their seats and yelled at the top of our lungs. In overtime, that dynamic played out again at the end of the match. Gilman escaped from Nico and turned into Nico for more - appearing to have an opportunity for more points. The Iowa crowd erupted. But in an instant Nico twisted and came out with the match winning takedown. The PSU crowd went ballistic and vaulted out of their seats, while the Iowa crowd collapsed into theirs. At the hotel later that evening, other Big Ten fans claimed that our small crowd yelled louder than the entire Iowa section had all day. I couldn’t tell since I was embedded in the PSU section.

You’ve gotta love the Iowa fans. THAT was fun!!!

We’ve had a wonderful time at the Big Tens in Iowa City. The Iowa fans have been great. They love their wrestling and root hard for their team. They vastly outnumber all of the fans from the rest of the league. Penn State clearly has the second largest number of fans in attendance and our section (JJ) is right next to the Iowa fans. It makes for some fun and interesting dynamics. Those dynamics were particularly evident yesterday when PSU and Iowa squared off. The Gilman / Megaludis match was classic and one I won’t soon forget. Both are excellent wrestlers. Every time Gilman had the advantage, the Iowa crowd boomed their approval. In response, the smaller PSU crowd (about 1/10th the Iowa crowd) rose from their seats and screamed their support when Nico gained the advantage. With both crowds right next to each other, the visual and audio experiences were highlighted. At the end of the 3rd period, Gilman had the upper hand nearly taking Nico down for a match winning takedown. The Iowa crowd rose in their seats and screamed in anticipation. However, Nico did the splits (amazing in my mind) and frustrated Gilman’s attempt as time ran out. In response the PSU crowd likewise rose in their seats and yelled at the top of our lungs. In overtime, that dynamic played out again at the end of the match. Gilman escaped from Nico and turned into Nico for more - appearing to have an opportunity for more points. The Iowa crowd erupted. But in an instant Nico twisted and came out with the match winning takedown. The PSU crowd went ballistic and vaulted out of their seats, while the Iowa crowd collapsed into theirs. At the hotel later that evening, other Big Ten fans claimed that our small crowd yelled louder than the entire Iowa section had all day. I couldn’t tell since I was embedded in the PSU section.

You’ve gotta love the Iowa fans. THAT was fun!!!
Awesome. PSU has the best fans in the country. Just think how loud that place would be with that many PSU fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT