ADVERTISEMENT

The Problem with Iowa...

It is beyond a "risky situation" to force visiting team's to be exposed to morons like this where the morons are able to make contact with the "Visiting Team's Bench" and players by doing nothing more than reaching their arm out over the stadium wall. It is not a joking matter in any way, shape or form, especially in regards to "player/team safety", which is why they have plexi-glass barriers in this exact situation at hockey rinks. There isn't a stadium in the country that would allow this and expose participants to such bull$hit and moron behavior - no way in f'ing hell should fans be even remotely this close to PARTICIPANTS simply sitting on their "TEAM BENCH" on the PLAYING SURFACE! No way, no how.....the B1G and Iowa allowing this and exposing Visiting Team's to the actions and behaviors of such fans is RIDICULOUS and the height of "UNSPORTSMANSHIP" at the INSTITUTIONAL LEVEL -- treating that ridiculous situation like it is "cute" or "funny" is typical B1G myopic, homer hor$eshit. It isn't "cute" or "funny" and is pure bull$hit and unsportsmanlike behavior being sponsored by IOWA UNIVERSITY towards visiting teams given that they control the situation, have set it up this way and have allowed it to persist. This absolutely falls under the "it's funny until someone losses an eye" category - who's responsible if one of these tools and idiots were to touch or throw something on a player/coach and the visiting player/coach responded in-kind and knocked the moronic idiot into the middle of next week?

They actually moved the fans back this year, they use to be a few feet closer. I once sat in the second row behind the visitors bench (Minnesota game) most of what is being said to the players is harmless teasing. The players had smiles on their faces on good one liners. Most of the players near the wall are subs looking for entertainment.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
Except that I have never heard "At least we didn't have Hitler" from anyone, and I follow soccer closely. Now, who knows, maybe back in 1955 that was happening, but I doubt it, because there was no "Germany", there was East Germany(CCCP west) and there was West Germany.
There's been comments along those lines made at England-Germany matches in the past.

They actually moved the fans back this year, they use to be a few feet closer. I once sat in the second row behind the visitors bench (Minnesota game) most of what is being said to the players is harmless teasing. The players had smiles on their faces on good one liners. Most of the players near the wall are subs looking for entertainment.

It's a bull$hit "unprofessional", "unsportmanlike" situation that would not be tolerated, let alone SPONSORED, by any other stadium in the country which is run in a "professional manner" that respects the safety of the participants. Your notion that this is "cute", "funny" or "charming" is demonstrative of what kind of hypocritical pieces of garbage you slackjaw turds truly are.

Last edited:
....apparently Penn State didn't make it out onto the field when the national anthem was being played

That was a bit odd to me--usually at college games, the anthem is played before the teams come out--I'd expect due to keeping the field clear for the band to finish their pregame show, as the anthem is usually pretty early. I'd guess Iowa's tradition is different. No reason PSU should have been aware of that difference.

I was at the game. Heard some comments in the parking lot where we tailgated. Actually was involved in a conversation with one 30ish guy who said he just couldn't stand the rape issue and his conversation indicated he was still laying the blame on today's team, that the sanctions weren't hard enough, that the entire university should shoulder the shame. I told him to let it go, that it's five years in the past and that the players and coaches of today had nothing to do with it. When he started denigrating JoePa, I basically told him that Joe Paterno was one of the people I have honored for the majority of my life span. I also told him that our conversation was ended. I handed him a Dogfish Head 90 IPA and walked away. He was just a stupid shit who wears blinders all the time. How can you reason with people like that? There was a guy two rows down from us who was yelling obscenities before the game so loudly and so rudely that two Iowa fans got out of their seats and told him to cool it. He then got even more pissed because apparently Penn State didn't make it out onto the field when the national anthem was being played. He didn't take off his cap but was saluting, so I guess he had served. His girlfriend looked like she wanted to climb into a hole. He eventually shut up but got into it again at the end when it looked like Iowa was going to win. Dumb shit. My advice to his poor girlfriend: Get outa Dodge before the guns go off.

Night games at Kinnick (or any stadium) gives fans all day to tailgate and get wasted. Iowa does have a reputation as a party school, I'm sure you heard the "in heaven there is no beer... that's why we drink it here" song on more than one occasion. Again don't judge entire fan bases on a few fans, every fan base has morons!

There's been comments along those lines made at England-Germany matches in the past.

Yea, well they don't provide the crowd direct access to the visiting participants DESIGNATED FIELD AREA where the fans are close enough to touch the players by simply reaching their arm out in the England-Germany matches, do they now??? Screaming nonsense from 20 yards away from behind a restraining fence is quite a bit different than what we're talking about - i.e., your comparison is utterly non-analogous.

That was a bit odd to me--usually at college games, the anthem is played before the teams come out--I'd expect due to keeping the field clear for the band to finish their pregame show, as the anthem is usually pretty early. I'd guess Iowa's tradition is different. No reason PSU should have been aware of that difference.
I though it was odd, too. The band was out, the Iowa players were out, there were former Iowa athletes/honorees on the field, but no Penn State. Couldn't figure that one out. When Penn State did come out of their tunnel, they were soundly booed, I mean soundly booed. The Iowa crowd was very hyped for the game; I'm sure some of it was alcohol induced after more than eight hours of tailgating.

I find it amazing that all of these people continue to seem to be obsessed with the topic of child molestation? Why are all these people associating this heinous crime with people that did not, in fact, have anything to do with these crimes? Our fans didn't, our players didn't, our coaches didn't, our staff didn't, our athletic department didn't, NOBODY associated in 2017 with Penn State had anything to do with child molestation.

These people, to me, come off as hypocritical: There are sex offenders that live right down the block from them, I promise you, as there is a national website that tells everyone in this nation where your local sex offenders live. Are they picketing their houses? Are they trying to kick them out? Are they protesting? Are they calling their local politicians? Are they calling police? No, they are living their lives every day, among those same sex offenders, as all people do. These people need to look in the mirror before they yell these things toward us.
Here's what we are dealing with in this regard. And we will continue to deal with this pedo BS as long as people like "L. Wade Childress" continue to be a waste of oxygen on this planet:
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...d-i-see-this-right.204453/reply?quote=4678900

and then:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...d-i-see-this-right.204453/reply?quote=4679094

Maybe we voted that Iowa idiot who wasn't impressed by Shaquon as the dumbest person in the world too quickly. This guy is a Gold Member HR Legend with 33,970 posts and 7049 LIKES. He's been a member there since 2001. He's no drive by troll, he represents a typical Iowa fan. There are people like him all over the B1G. They are either too dumb, too lazy or just don't care to find out what really happened. It's just too easy to vilify us.

Did any of you realize that all those years we cheered Penn State on, we were actually sending a signal to the football staff and the school's admin that we would not tolerate them exposing pedophilia and they better cover up ANYTHING rather than embarrass the football program? I sure didn't. And, as L. Wade points out, there are STILL Penn State fans here who enabled JS through our support of our team and we haven't yet APOLOGIZED for that. So, how on earth can HE possibly forgive us?

So, apparently we (the fans) are the root cause of the problem because we created an unhealthy environment to win at all costs. We'll have to go back and get another lesson from L. Wade as to just how any of this effected our on field performance and added to our winning record. But I'm sure he'll explain that with the same easy logic he employed in these posts.

So, here's the thing. It isn't about logic or the truth, it's about a fantasy that they need to weave into some crazy hate thing every time they lose (or just have to admit they are generally inferior). In their warped minds, they are now "justified" in hating the current players, the coaches, the admin, and, most of all, the fans. Now and forever. Easy peasy.....no thought process necessary.....we are all pedophiles....end of story

Now I did note a few Iowa posters on the linked thread telling him and others to stop with the pedo crap.. BUT, if you read their posts, they all have the same underlying Penn State is evil vibe.....they just think the rightful flogging has gone on long enough....geez thanks guys.

I say stick it right back up their noses when they do this crap. Slinking away is an admission of guilt to these bozos. F them.

Last edited:
You don't know me!
It's a bull$hit "unprofessional", "unsportmanlike" situation that would not be tolerated, let alone SPONSORED, by any other stadium in the country which is run in a "professional manner" that respects the safety of the participants. Your notion that this is "cute" and "funny" is demonstrative of what kind of hypocritical pieces of garbage you slackjaw turds truly are.

I personally have seen opposing players laughing and having fun with the Iowa fans! You don't know me and I don't know you but I promise I won't judge the entire Penn St. fan base on your comments to me!

Reactions: lionroar88
Night games at Kinnick (or any stadium) gives fans all day to tailgate and get wasted. Iowa does have a reputation as a party school, I'm sure you heard the "in heaven there is no beer... that's why we drink it here" song on more than one occasion. Again don't judge entire fan bases on a few fans, every fan base has morons!
I don't and I did meet an awful lot of nice people in the tailgate area. Was offered food, beer. And everybody I talked to thought Penn State was going to cover the spread. Even the moron 30ish guy.

Your fan base just has a shit ton more.

I don't and I did meet an awful lot of nice people in the tailgate area. Was offered food, beer. And everybody I talked to thought Penn State was going to cover the spread. Even the moron 30ish guy.

That's good! I told my wife before the game I hoped we didn't get embarrassed on national TV. I personally believe Penn St. is the best team in the conference and will be one of the 4 playing for it all this year.

Yea, well they don't provide the crowd direct access to the visiting participants DESIGNATED FIELD AREA where the fans are close enough to touch the players by simply reaching their arm out in the England-Germany matches, do they now??? Screaming nonsense from 20 yards away from behind a restraining fence is quite a bit different than what we're talking about - i.e., your comparison is utterly non-analogous.
There haven't been restraining fences *that* long. Nor did you say anything about that in your original post. I've been to a few European matches in my day. But much of their situations happen outside the stadia.

And ask any Gladbach fan about the "Buechsenwurf" sometime....that took place in the stadium....

Edit: BTW, English fans insulting the germans with reminders of WW I and WW II is still happening--in 2017

Link

Here's what we are dealing with in this regard. And we will continue to deal with this pedo BS as long as people like "L. Wade Childress" continue to be a waste of oxygen on this planet:
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...d-i-see-this-right.204453/reply?quote=4678900

and then:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...d-i-see-this-right.204453/reply?quote=4679094

Maybe we voted that Iowa idiot who wasn't impressed by Shaquon as the dumbest person in the world too quickly. This guy is a Gold Member HR Legend with 33,970 posts and 7049 LIKES. He's been a member there since 2001. He's no drive by troll, he represents a typical Iowa fan. There are people like him all over the B1G. They are either to dumb, too lazy or just don't care to find out what really happened. It's just too easy to vilify us.

Did any of you realize that all those years we cheered Penn State on, we were actually sending a signal to the football staff and the school's admin that we would not tolerate them exposing pedophilia and they better cover up ANYTHING rather than embarrass the football program? I sure didn't. And, as L. Wade points out, there are STILL Penn State fans here who enabled JS through our support of our team and we haven't yet APOLOGIZED for that. So, how on earth can HE possibly forgive us?

So, apparently we (the fans) are the root cause of the problem because we created an unhealthy environment to win at all costs. We'll have to go back and get another lesson from L. Wade as to just how any of this effected our on field performance and added to our winning record. But I'm sure he'll explain that with the same easy logic he employed in these posts.

So, here's the thing. It isn't about logic or the truth, it's about a fantasy that they need to weave into some crazy hate thing every time they lose (or just have to admit they are generally inferior). In their warped minds, they are now "justified" in hating the current players, the coaches, the admin, and, most of all, the fans. Now and forever. Easy peasy.....no thought process necessary.....we are all pedophiles....end of story

Now I did note a few Iowa posters on the linked thread telling him and others to stop with the pedo crap.. BUT, if you read their posts, they all have the same underlying Penn State is evil vibe.....they just think the rightful flogging has gone on enough....geez thanks guys.

I say stick it right back up their noses when they do this crap. Slinking away is an admission of guilt to these bozos. F them.
I'm telling you, Iowa fans are the dumbest on the planet. I can get the Pitt and Rutgers hate.. I even understand the Ohio State hate somewhat..but really, who gives a shit about Iowa? I can't figure out why all the hate from them. Must be wrestling.

Reactions: 22mike306
I'm telling you, Iowa fans are the dumbest on the planet. I can get the Pitt and Rutgers hate.. I even understand the Ohio State hate somewhat..but really, who gives a shit about Iowa? I can't figure out why all the hate from them. Must be wrestling.
It's an inferiority complex, they are the worst for that. And it completely explains how they act about wrestling, we took away the one thing they had.

Reactions: broey1 and Gnat91
I though it was odd, too. The band was out, the Iowa players were out, there were former Iowa athletes/honorees on the field, but no Penn State. Couldn't figure that one out. When Penn State did come out of their tunnel, they were soundly booed, I mean soundly booed. The Iowa crowd was very hyped for the game; I'm sure some of it was alcohol induced after more than eight hours of tailgating.
At Penn State (and tOSU and Michigan, for other examples that I've seen) the anthem is always played well before the teams enter the field.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
That's good! I personally told my wife before the game I hoped we didn't get embarrassed on national TV. I believe Penn St. is the best team in the conference and will be one of the 4 playing for it all this year.

You seem like a good guy, Why don't you go and share your good will attitude with L. Wade. Please come back in 6 months and tell us how that went.[/QUOTE]

There haven't been restraining fences *that* long. Nor did you say anything about that in your original post. I've been to a few European matches in my day. But much of their situations happen outside the stadia.

And ask any Gladbach fan about the "Buechsenwurf" sometime....that took place in the stadium....

Edit: BTW, English fans insulting the germans with reminders of WW I and WW II is still happening--in 2017

Link
I read something on line the other day that illustrates that.

It seems that sometime in the 60s a British Air pilot who hadn't been to Frankfurt Airport before was confused by the taxiway directions and called the tower for better directions. The snooty German ground control guy berated the pilot for his ignorance and added, "have you never been to our airport before?"

The British Air pilot paused and said, "Yes, I have, but just once" pause..." it was at night"....pause ...."in 1944"...pause...."but I didn't land".

Reactions: denniskembala

Iowa fans don't hate Penn St. in fact most now will be rooting for them to win it all! Thought I'd come over here for some friendly conversations and thanks to those of you that treated me kindly. Wasn't trying to raise a ruckus...Good game! Bye

First, great game Saturday...Penn St. earned the win. On the subject of fans every fan base have those idiots that make the majority of good fans look bad. I have heard almost unanimously from visiting fans that attend Kinnick that the Iowa fans were respectful and polite. Judging entire fan bases on a minority of fans would make every fan base look bad and I believe most people understand that. It looks like to me The 300 who had no dog in the fight is just trying to start some Sh**!

On what Franklin did to upset Iowa...I guess it was comments made last year after the game questioning Iowa's heart and effort in that game. I personally haven't seen the clip showing Franklin doing that. He (and Barkley) was very complimentary to Iowa after the game this year.

Fair enough- and I agree all schools have some idiots who get disproportionate attention with this stuff.

As for Franklin, I don't follow press conferences usually but went back to last year's post game press conference just to check what was said. He didn't insult Iowa or question their players efforts at all. It's linked below if you want to see it but honestly it's mostly about PSU and improving week to week etc.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I have a good friend and a man I consider a brother, who is a life long Iowa fan, and I can assure you that he does not connect anyone who loves PSU to Jerry Sandusky. Know why? Because he's normal.

At Penn State (and tOSU and Michigan, for other examples that I've seen) the anthem is always played well before the teams enter the field.
You know, you're right. How many PSU games have I been to over the past 40+ years and I never realized that?? Whew! I guess some of my brain cells have departed.

Allowing fans that close to the participants didn't work out too well for Monica Seles.

Exactly, you are asking for trouble promoting direct contact between fans and participants in general, but beyond insane for Iowa to PROMOTE such a thing by giving fans direct access to the participants DESIGNATED AREA on the field of play!

Especially in a sport like football, where if a fan does something stupid, obnoxious and worthy of retaliation in self-defense, some Iowa moron could easily get knocked into the middle of next week and deservedly so.....if that even were to occur, who is responsible, the participant locked in a highly-charged emotional situation or Iowa University who thought creating such a situation extremely susceptible to violent encounter was a good idea, charming and cute???

What did Wade do?[/QUOTE]
Hit the links in the post. L. Wade was just being a typical Iowa fan expressing what a large number of the knuckle draggers think and how they justify all the pedo state BS. It's what we'll face all over the B1G indefinitely.

Link

Oh give me an f'ing break, I don't care if there were "restraining fences" or not 20 years ago "in your day", what does that have to do with soccer games being played TODAY (kinda like the PSU-Iowa game that was played). Beyond that, even 20 years ago when they didn't have a "restraining fence", they still had a "restraining wall" and that wall was a long way from the competitors, not right on top of the "Team's Designated Area" like you can see in this video of the last play! It is utterly absurd and UNNECESSARY (and asking for a bad situation) to say fans have to be seated this close to the competitors because there was simply nothing that could be done to create appropriate distance and seperation:

Link
After losing the world cup to Germany in the 50's, Winston Churchill said something to the effect of, "They beat us in our national pastime once, we beat them in theirs twice."

Reactions: MtNittany

So, apparently we (the fans) are the root cause of the problem because we created an unhealthy environment to win at all costs.

This is exactly how Peetz, Erickson, Frazier, and a lot of the others told us they view it. Hard to be surprised when the rest of the world takes up the same fight.

Most of the players near the wall are subs looking for entertainment.

I would think that watching their team rack of nearly 600 yards of offense would be entertainment enough.

Iowa does have a reputation as a party school, I'm sure you heard the "in heaven there is no beer... that's why we drink it here" song on more than one occasion

That's news to me, I've never heard it mentioned as one. Although it doesn't surprise me, because what else are you gonna do?

and then:

Maybe we voted that Iowa idiot who wasn't impressed by Shaquon as the dumbest person in the world too quickly. This guy is a Gold Member HR Legend with 33,970 posts and 7049 LIKES. He's been a member there since 2001. He's no drive by troll, he represents a typical Iowa fan. There are people like him all over the B1G. They are either to dumb, too lazy or just don't care to find out what really happened. It's just too easy to vilify us.

Now I did note a few Iowa posters on the linked thread telling him and others to stop with the pedo crap.. BUT, if you read their posts, they all have the same underlying Penn State is evil vibe.....they just think the rightful flogging has gone on enough....geez thanks guys.

I just don't get it, on one side, you have people looking for a reason to hate PSU, they have one thing... the Freeh report, the conclusions of which never made sense, and have been disproven in a court of law. Freeh didn't have subpoena power, and didn't interview any of the key individuals, and has admitted that it was only his opinion. His reputation has been shattered as everything he ever touches is garbage.

Meanwhile, we had the AG praising Paterno for his actions, the lead prosecutor said on national TV that there was no evidence of a cover up. Every other independent investigation, including by FBI investigator Snedden agree that there was no cover up. The courts agree that there was no cover up, as the PSU admins were not found guilty of every felony and most misdemeanors. The only convictions were misdemeanors due to C/S being duped into pleading guilty due to a tainted jury pool and a promise of no jail time. Spanier's verdict was called a "mistake" by the jury foreman, and will likely be overturned.

Despite all credible evidence pointing towards no cover up, people still believe what they want.

Last edited:

Hey Hey Hey...my wife is from Iowa and I visit there often. This meme is completely and totally....oh wait....it's pretty spot on.

Reactions: joeparules
It is beyond a "risky situation" to force visiting team's to be exposed to morons like this where the morons are able to make contact with the "Visiting Team's Bench" and players by doing nothing more than reaching their arm out over the stadium wall. It is not a joking matter in any way, shape or form, especially in regards to "player/team safety", which is why they have plexi-glass barriers in this exact situation at hockey rinks. There isn't a stadium in the country that would allow this and expose participants to such bull$hit and moron behavior - no way in f'ing hell should fans be even remotely this close to PARTICIPANTS simply sitting on their "TEAM BENCH" on the PLAYING SURFACE! No way, no how.....the B1G and Iowa allowing this and exposing Visiting Team's to the actions and behaviors of such fans is RIDICULOUS and the height of "UNSPORTSMANSHIP" at the INSTITUTIONAL LEVEL -- treating that ridiculous situation like it is "cute" or "funny" is typical B1G myopic, homer hor$eshit. It isn't "cute" or "funny" and is pure bull$hit and unsportsmanlike behavior being sponsored by IOWA UNIVERSITY towards visiting teams given that they control the situation, have set it up this way and have allowed it to persist. This absolutely falls under the "it's funny until someone losses an eye" category - who's responsible if one of these tools and idiots were to touch or throw something on a player/coach and the visiting player/coach responded in-kind and knocked the moronic idiot into the middle of next week?
You make very good arguments here.

Oh give me an f'ing break, I don't care if there were "restraining fences" or not 20 years ago "in your day", what does that have to do with soccer games being played TODAY (kinda like the PSU-Iowa game that was played). Beyond that, even 20 years ago when they didn't have a "restraining fence", they still had a "restraining wall" and that wall was a long way from the competitors, not right on top of the "Team's Designated Area" like you can see in this video of the last play! It is utterly absurd and UNNECESSARY (and asking for a bad situation) to say fans have to be seated this close to the competitors because there was simply nothing that could be done to create appropriate distance and seperation:

How would you suggest they rebuild their stadium then? Because that is what it would take--and I'll note that it does appear there is a wall around the playing area--the fans are on top of that wall. It's not like the stands at Beaver stadium are that far off the teams either--remember the Snow Bowl and the snowballs?? Or a fence like at a Nascar or Indy race--making it difficult to see (I now avoid the areas behind the expanded screens at baseball games as looking through that stuff makes my dizzy).

And no, you don't know what you are talking about in regard to stadia "back in the day". They had different things depending on the uses of those stadia. Many were originally used for track and field. I can recall walking along the track around the stadium at Mannheim during a match--no barrier at all. Second division, to be fair. And they are a lot more careful about barriers since Hillsborough.

For example, here's a modern stadium in Germany. Note that there are no barriers on the sidelines and no moat (there are barriers--mostly netting--in the end zone and metal fences between the visiting section and the rest of the stadium). Just about an 8 ft drop to the field. The fans can get pretty close to the benches (on left). I know. I've got some pretty good pix of the players going into the midfield tunnel when I've attended games there. And that was in 2005, 2011, and 2013. Champions League games have been played here.
5.jpg

Here's a similar shot of Kinnick. Doesn't look *that* much different. The wall might be a bit lower--but the distance to the field may be a bit more.
636118147105572950-RENDERING.JPG

So just watched a Barkley/Allen comments video...
Barkley really emphasizing how "fun" the trash talk was. Found that interesting, and probably coached to say that. Impressed with the composure.
Looks like Allen wanted to say more, but didn't.

And your guys 'shushing' Iowa fans on the way out? Ha! Any Iowa fan offended by that has special needs. Of course players are gonna rub it in.
Last year, Wadley shushed the North End Zone crowd when he scored a touchdown.

Hadn't seen that video before--wild, because I'm in it--though it's not possible to pick me (or Mrs KG) out for certain. But it pans left for a few seconds after the score--right into our section where we were.

I just don't get it, on one side, you have people looking for a reason to hate PSU, they have one thing... the Freeh report, the conclusions of which never made sense, and have been disproven in a court of law. Freeh didn't have subpoena power, and didn't interview any of the key individuals, and has admitted that it was only his opinion. His reputation has been shattered as everything he ever touches is garbage.

Meanwhile, we had the AG praising Paterno for his actions, the lead prosecutor said on national TV that there was no evidence of a cover up. Every other independent investigation, including by FBI investigator Snedden agree that there was no cover up. The courts agree that there was no cover up, as the PSU admins were not found guilty of every felony and most misdemeanors. The only convictions were misdemeanors due to C/S being duped into pleading guilty due to a tainted jury pool and a promise of no jail time. Spanier's verdict was called a "mistake" by the jury foreman, and will likely be overturned.

Despite all credible evidence pointing towards no cover up, people still believe what they want.
With all due respect, panda, it's useless to go into the details and try to educate the idiots who shout the pedo state stuff. That info just doesn't matter to them because they don't give a good crap about pedophilia or anything else unless they can latch on to the story and use it to vilify Penn State. Once you come to grips with that the only solution is to get in the faces and tell them they are AHs......no further explanation needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT