ADVERTISEMENT

The Open just got interesting

Don't want a Ben Curtis situation where an unknown guy posts a good early score without pressure and then the leaders choke.

Spieth is leaking oil badly

What is NBC's fascination with constantly giving spots to Tirico and O'Meara? What a borefest. It's like they have to throw Tirico a bone since they signed him to the big contract.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
Wow, they just finished 13 and the group ahead of them is on 16 tee

I need more detail! I am at the office grinding through a report and cannot watch or live stream (blocked).

Is this reminiscent of Spieth's Masters meltdown?
He just made 2 on the next hole (hit it to a few feet) to get the stroke back. Tied at -8 again. -6 in the clubhouse.

I need more detail! I am at the office grinding through a report and cannot watch or live stream (blocked).

Is this reminiscent of Spieth's Masters meltdown?

If you didn't DVR the final round, Golf Channel has the replay at midnight. Too early to say, let's see what happens over the last several holes.

Boom!!!

Spieth buries a 48 footer for an Eagle! Wow. 10 Under all of a sudden - 1 up on Kuchar after Kuch birdies

That deserved a way bigger roar

Spieth inside of Kuchar for birdie on 17. Kuchar has to make a 15 footer or so as Spieth has about 8.

Kuchar buries it. -10

Spieth calmly buries his. -12

All the talk about Spieth's "short stick" potentially costing him the tournament has been greatly exaggerated.... Spieth's greatest advantage is his putter - without his putting ability, he's a decent, but not dominant player as his "ball striking" ability is really very average at the PGA level especially in regards to his length. On more demanding tracks in terms of ball striking (especially those that demand both length and accuracy), he is at his greatest disadvantage relative to the best ball-strikers as he just doesn't have the number of quality birdie attempts and 2-putt pars (i.e., GIR) that the absolute best pure ball-strikers can generate.

In addition, I completely disagree with the NBC announcer's and "golf analyst's" contention that speed of play rules should not be enforced on the inward 9 of the final round of a major for the final several pairings as they are focusing harder and are more deliberate at getting everything "right". Complete nonsense if you ask me - once "speed of play rules" and definitions for warnings, penalties, etc... are encoded into the rulebook, they should be enforced regardless of what round or tournament is being contested under those "Professional Rules". Utter nonsense that the "speed of play rules" should be simply set-aside for the inward 9 of the final round just because its a Major Tournament.....that is a nonsensical statement and antithetical to what a "rule" is all about and why it exists in the first place! (i.e., the "slow play" of some competitors, such as Spieth....or Garcia, is extremely detrimental to other competitors that hate playing at this deliberate pace.....and it is supposed to be illegal to "straight-jacket" other competitors with your absurdly slow, frustrating-to-other-competitors, pace of play).

All the talk about Spieth's "short stick" potentially costing him the tournament has been greatly exaggerated.... Spieth's greatest advantage is his putter - without his putting ability, he's a decent, but not dominant player as his "ball striking" ability is really very average at the PGA level especially in regards to his length. On more demanding tracks in terms of ball striking (especially those that demand both length and accuracy), he is at his greatest disadvantage relative to the best ball-strikers as he just doesn't have the number of quality birdie attempts and 2-putt pars (i.e., GIR) that the absolute best pure ball-strikers can generate.

In addition, I completely disagree with the NBC announcer's and "golf analyst's" contention that speed of play rules should not be enforced on the inward 9 of the final round of a major for the final several pairings as they are focusing harder and are more deliberate at getting everything "right". Complete nonsense if you ask me - once "speed of play rules" and definitions for warnings, penalties, etc... are encoded into the rulebook, they should be enforced regardless of what round or tournament is being contested under those "Professional Rules". Utter nonsense that the "speed of play rules" should be simply set-aside for the inward 9 of the final round just because its a Major Tournament.....that is a nonsensical statement and antithetical to what a "rule" is all about and why it exists in the first place! (i.e., the "slow play" of some competitors, such as Spieth....or Garcia, is extremely detrimental to other competitors that hate playing at this deliberate pace.....and it is supposed to be illegal to "straight-jacket" other competitors with your absurdly slow, frustrating-to-other-competitors, pace of play).
To put it in fewer words, he's like Faxon only he hits it good. As far as out of position penalties, don't they have to penalize both players?

If Spieth were facing anyone but Kuchar, I would've been rooting for him. I really wanted Kuchar to win one. At least an American raised the jug (and hopefully this helps Spieth avoid heading down a path of regular choking after a couple bad major finishes).

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
To put it in fewer words, he's like Faxon only he hits it good. As far as out of position penalties, don't they have to penalize both players?

Actually, I believe they have the discretion to only penalize one player as the time the players in terms of how long it takes them to make their shot after they assume "next-shot honors".... Pretty sure they can only penalize one player if it is solely that players delay between shots causing the group to be out of position (also believe they have to provide a "warning" - possibly two, I foget, - to the group before a penalty can actually be applied).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT