ADVERTISEMENT

The Elephant in the Room is the 4th Quarter Collapse, the Hallmark of the Franklin Era

So BOB goes 8-4 in 1012, losing to two inferior teams in Ohio and Virginia, and playing with Joe's players, who were pretty good. And he is coach of the year. Franklin gets the worst part of the sanctions and in his third yea,. Against ridiculious odds wins the conference championship and he is not a good coach? He or his staff coached up a 3 star qb, I mean safety, to win the conference in his first year starting. Other than the bad play call on 4th down Saturday, I don't understand S how any true PSU fan can not be happy with the job he has done
THIS. ^^^

Franklin is doing an excellent job. Excellent.

And he’s right. There are just a few small things that need to be tweaked. He knew it right away and like a man he owned it right away.

Strange (rebuilding) season. Like 2016’s rebuilding (or maybe just building) season, he’s managing to harness developing talent and compete at the highest level. Tough to get kids to do that for 60 minutes. And like a man, he’s not whimpering about the experienced talent disparity. At all. Look at the changes in players and coaches we’ve had. And no mention of Manny Bowen. Setting aside the last play call, who thinks having Manny wouldn’t have made the difference in our gassed 4th quarter D? And losing Hamler after what, the 5th OSU cheap shot? How many penalties and ejections? Lucky the OSU roster was so deep. And they counted on it—look at the fresh speed they brought in the 4th! Two years in a row: they still played fast with fresher guys in the fourth!!!

That Meyer was involved and Manny wasn’t speaks volumes about the institutions the uniforms represent. Then think about the two OCs, Wilson and Rahne. Who wants Wilson taking care of their kid? Or Zach Smith for that matter! And the list of differences goes on. I’m happy with Franklin.

The responses to this thread are ridiculous. It seems that posters either think Franklin has to go or we should be happy with everything he does. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

I thought we were going to lose to OSU by 10pts. A PSU whiteout might be the best home field advantage in the country but Franklin is replacing 8 starters on defense, a few exceptional players on ofense, and is staring a true freshman kicker. The defensive effort at Illinois left me little room for optimism but they came out fired up and aggressive. Probably some good coaching that was fueled by the whiteout adrenaline rush. The problem isn't that we lost, it's how we lost. The defense didn't just wear down. They completely lost discipline and the staff didn't make adjustments. The last play call on offense was horrible.

Bottom line is that Franklin is doing a great job. Great recruiting except for LB, just not as good as OSU. Kids seem to be doing OK academically and they appear to be well disciplined. The team has played in consecutive NY6 bowl games. But Franklin also has to accept repsonsibility for the late collapses. He does. We want him to be elite, not just great. Nothing wrong with that.

Let's get real. PSU's success in 2016 and 2017 is 90% attributable to Trace McSorely and 10% to other considerations. TM is carrying this team to success despite poor tackling, sloppy receiving, and quizzical coaching.

We will learn much about Franklin & Co. and other room-occupying pachyderms in 2019 and 2020 after Trace departs PSU.

Let's get real. PSU's success in 2016 and 2017 is 90% attributable to Trace McSorely and 10% to other considerations. TM is carrying this team to success despite poor tackling, sloppy receiving, and quizzical coaching.

We will learn much about Franklin & Co. and other room-occupying pachyderms in 2019 and 2020 after Trace departs PSU.
Godwin blah blah blah Morehead blah blah blah Barkley blah blah blah Gesicki blah blah blah

You sound like a Michigan fan.

So Saquon was worth less than 10% of all considerations? I think I know who needs to get real here.
Yes. PSU had other RB's on roster who could have easily and consistently been tackled for little or no gain.

Yes. PSU had other RB's on roster who could have easily and consistently been tackled for little or no gain.

Right, that record number of TD's he scored in his career could have been duplicated by anyone. Especially since no one before him had equaled his total.

And had he played just one more game, he'd probably be Penn State's all time rushing leader. But any other RB on the roster would have been just as good.

Don't bother to respond. You have to be one of the biggest knuckleheads on the board if you actually believe what you posted.

While I don’t agree with everything you say here....we’ve seen the same issues with this staff during the past two OSU games.

This year wasn’t a banner game for Rahne. I think Franklin is a good coach, Rahne has done largely fine, and that we are fortunate to have this staff. But to bury your head in the stand and willfully ignore the boners this staff has made with in-game coaching decisions is denying reality. None of this means I’m in the “Fire Franklin” crowd or that I’d rather have anyone else coach this team.

I really wish were were Nebraska this year. They really don't have to worry about this.
Too funny. Actually, if you listen to Scott Frost's most recent press conference following their loss to Purdue, it was almost a mirror image of Franklin's fiery press conference after the OSU loss. Specifically, in terms of developing the highest consistent ethic between football, class, and life - to reach the winning standards demanded on the football field. That their is no distinction in the standard and that if you let one drop so will the others.

We are playing a lot of 2nd stringers as freshmen on defense, a few starters. Very young defense overall. No cohesive all the time, played well up until the last two drives, why? I don't know, not an expert here.

Trace showed why he is an amazing young man in this game. His running was a killer to OSU much of the game. Losing KJ was very bad for our offense. Our receivers didn't seem to be getting open but then we don't as well against OSU generally, they have great defensive teams.

We played a great opponent that recruits at an Alabama level littered with five-star recruits and has great coaching with several former head coaches on staff. We weren't playing an easy opponent. We knew it would be a great game, it was. We fell short with the opportunity to win in our hands at the end. I could write a critique as a fan but I'd be like thousands of others and why? Our team is young, we lost Trace and a few others after this season, a big loss but have back a very solid basis for a great team upcoming.
The biggest question mark I'll have next year outside of Trace's winning talents and experience is team leadership. We know that the very best teams' leadership comes from within, not the coaches. If leadership is not self sustaining it could be a challenging season. We'll be super young and will lose Nick Scott too. Who will lead them is almost as critical as who will replace them.

The biggest question mark I'll have next year outside of Trace's winning talents and experience is team leadership. We know that the very best teams' leadership comes from within, not the coaches. If leadership is not self sustaining it could be a challenging season. We'll be super young and will lose Nick Scott too. Who will lead them is almost as critical as who will replace them.
5th year QB for one who the team loves. 5th year DT's are another place. Young LB's will be a year older. I think some leaders will step up.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Losing Nick Scott on defense will be an upgrade. Special teams player.

The whataboutism around here is in full force.

Yes, the 4th quarter collapses are absolutely a problem and they are not a outlier with Franklin. When we play good teams Franklin has a trend of giving up 4th quarter leads he shouldn't. USC, tOSU x2, MSU, App State.

Yes, the 4th quarter collapses are absolutely a problem and they are not a outlier with Franklin. When we play good teams Franklin has a trend of giving up 4th quarter leads he shouldn't. USC, tOSU x2, MSU, App State.
As I said in another post, you really can't include the MSU game in that stat line. MSU had a third quarter lead and it was never more than a one score game in either direction. Hardly a "collapse".

So BOB goes 8-4 in 1012, losing to two inferior teams in Ohio and Virginia, and playing with Joe's players, who were pretty good. And he is coach of the year. Franklin gets the worst part of the sanctions and in his third yea,. Against ridiculious odds wins the conference championship and he is not a good coach? He or his staff coached up a 3 star qb, I mean safety, to win the conference in his first year starting. Other than the bad play call on 4th down Saturday, I don't understand S how any true PSU fan can not be happy with the job he has done
Lord have mercy, you had to bring some truth and sanity to this discussion ☺. I had a hard time seeing Mike McIntyre (Colorado) or Paul Chryst winning some national coach of the year honors over Franklin in 2016. Franklin was that good. Franklin won a few honors, but he should have dominated - and yes I'm biased. McIntyre won 10 games over 3 years, then won 10 in 2016, while Franklin was working in a tougher conference and initially with fewer scholarships. No explanation for it outside of his brash, ultra confident, out spoken, and hard charging manner rubs some people the wrong way.

I have no clue to your last point about not understanding how any true PSU Fan could be unhappy with Franklin. That's too deep for me. Clearly Franklin is not immune to criticism. I think it's ok to criticize as long as it's healing / constructive, and not ugly or personal. Sometimes our expectations are so out of whack we miss the gift that has been given.
Or maybe we just want what we want.

As I said in another post, you really can't include the MSU game in that stat line. MSU had a third quarter lead and it was never more than a one score game in either direction. Hardly a "collapse".

I'm willing to concede MSU.

The other ones were terrible collapses, though. It's not fluky, it's a hallmark (a great term for this) of Franklin's coaching.

Reactions: BrucePa

He also won games in the 4th quarter. OSU 16, Wisky Big 10 Title game, Minn 2016....so are those problems too since he didn't win them early enough. App State was a win BTW, so you must not count USC since we were down and came back...then lost? Your logic doesn't' work wholesale. Basically this is a big wahhhh, he manages to lose some games. Well every coach ever has...thanks for that knowledge. Do you want another coach? If not, you're just blowing a ton of hot air to be honest. I'd love to hear how you can fix JF and your master plan to fix this...from your keyboard. :rolleyes:

Bama gave up a late TD to lose a NC to Clemson and won it the next year coming back against UGa...they should have fired Saban for losing late to Clemson? What about kicking the 58 yard FG again AU that was returned? How is he still coaching...and trust me the Tide fans who are irrational pout after he loses a game too. Honestly, I get the losses sting, but what other coach do you want right now? I honestly can say I don't want a different HC right now for PSU...not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: demlion

The other ones were terrible collapses, though. It's not fluky, it's a hallmark (a great term for this) of Franklin's coaching.
We can agree to disagree on whether "hallmark" is the right word to describe something that has happened 3 times in 40ish games and is offset by comeback wins over OSU and Wisky......

Its something to be addressed, but calling it a hallmark?

We’re 25-6 since 2016. Only one game was a blow out , all the others were one play games and people complain .
I don’t see anyone with a 30-1 record since the start of 2016.

He also won games in the 4th quarter. OSU 16, Wisky Big 10 Title game, Minn 2016....so are those problems too since he didn't win them early enough. App State was a win BTW, so you must not count USC since we were down and came back...then lost? Your logic doesn't' work wholesale. Basically this is a big wahhhh, he manages to lose some games. Well every coach ever has...thanks for that knowledge. Do you want another coach? If not, you're just blowing a ton of hot air to be honest. I'd love to hear how you can fix JF and your master plan to fix this...from your keyboard. :rolleyes:

Bama gave up a late TD to lose a NC to Clemson and won it the next year coming back against UGa...they should have fired Saban for losing late to Clemson? What about kicking the 58 yard FG again AU that was returned? How is he still coaching...and trust me the Tide fans who are irrational pout after he loses a game too. Honestly, I get the losses sting, but what other coach do you want right now? I honestly can say I don't want a different HC right now for PSU...not even close.

Good comments here. Furthermore, didn't Alabama have a 2-score lead on OSU the year the Buckeyes beat the Tide in the playoffs? Would blowing a lead to Clemson make that, therefore, a trend for Saban? The nonsense that some so-called PSU fans spout is incredible.

Where was that hallmark during the Fiesta Bowl and the Big Ten Championship? It's only a hallmark for those with selective memories.

Reactions: PSU87
Some of you Pollyannas are attempting to polish a turd.

The reality is this season PSU has blown double digit Q4 leads on their home field against the only real competition they’ve faced. The other games against the Cupcakes are unimportant and should be ignored.

PSU has some material issues that, unless addressed in the bye week and during the remainder of the season, are going to bite them in the ass against the better B1G teams, whether at home or on the road.

Last edited:
Some of you Pollyannas are attempting to polish a turd.

The reality is this season PSU has blown double digit Q4 leads on their home field against the only real competition they’ve faced. The other games against the Cupcakes are unimportant and should be ignored.

PSU has some material issues that, unless addressed in the bye week and during the remainder of the season, are going to bite them in the ass against the better B1G teams, whether at home or on the road.

As usual, you have it ass-backwards! We're not trying to polish a turd; we're just frickin' tired of you thinking that your "turdish" BS is of any interest to anybody!! Go service your employer …… it is the only thing that you are good for!!!

Right, that record number of TD's he scored in his career could have been duplicated by anyone. Especially since no one before him had equaled his total.

And had he played just one more game, he'd probably be Penn State's all time rushing leader. But any other RB on the roster would have been just as good.

Don't bother to respond. You have to be one of the biggest knuckleheads on the board if you actually believe what you posted.

Saquon always played better than he actually is.

You people just don’t understand, we lost this game in the first half we should have scored 3 tds and scored none. We had 2 field goals and missed one. We didn’t score until hamlers td
I didn’t see the first 20-25 minutes. I recorded the hour version and I’ll watch that soon. I did. See us screw up a td drive with that Stevens stuff though .
Don’t leave points on the table against a quality team.

As usual, you have it ass-backwards! We're not trying to polish a turd; we're just frickin' tired of you thinking that your "turdish" BS is of any interest to anybody!! Go service your employer …… it is the only thing that you are good for!!!

I think you have a turd fetish.

Penn State's last 4 losses, from Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl through Ohio State and Michigan State last year, to Saturday's one point loss to Ohio State, all had one thing in common.

Penn State was in control in all 4 of those games, and held a 4th quarter lead in all 4 games. Closing strong is not something the Franklin era is known for....instead, coughing up 4th quarter leads and letting QBs have their career-best quarters have become the hallmark of the Franklin era.

There’s some kind of animal in the room but I don’t think it’s an elephant.

A Donkey comes to mind!

There’s some kind of animal in the room but I don’t think it’s an elephant.

A Donkey comes to mind!

Please enlighten us to why it's wrong to be concerned about Franklin's penchant for blowing games against Ohio State and the likes of USC.

Franklin preaches about the need for players to be "elite" and that the team is "unrivaled." Well, guess what? In key situations over the past 2 seasons, they've received coaching that reached elite and unrivaled stupidity.

Again, I like Franklin a lot and wouldn't want anyone else to coach the team. But this staff hasn't learned from its own mistakes and continues to try to be too cute.

Reactions: sluggo72
The blown 4th quarters during games lost and near-miss victories are a concern and should be addressed. Yes, there is a pattern versus quality opponents....no denying it. The “Epic” comebacks of the opponents cannot continue. I have faith in Franklin. He made the right call with Moorhead and I believe he will diagnose and make necessary adjustments for future improvement. The team is just on the cusp of being elite....the devil is in the details as Franklin tried to convey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT