ADVERTISEMENT

The difference in that game and Franklin's future

jdog1124

Jan 3, 2003
was the two best players on the field Justin Fields and Chase Young. Both are elite difference makers.

In the case of Justin Fields it was incredible opportunity that a talent like that became a "free agent" right when Dwayne Haskins was departing. Had that game been played with Tate Martell at QB we could easily be looking at Penn State at the top of the Big 10 and heading comfortably to the playoff.

I think Franklin has done an amazing job since taking over a program at rock bottom. This young team is within one horrible call (PI on Dan George at Minnesota) from being 11-1. Keep your head up James, keep recruiting at a top level, make adjustments where needed, and you're knocking on the door of elite the same way that Clemson and Dabo were a few years back before they broke through.

As for the fans....a dose of reality is needed. Are we better off with James than programs like Texas, Miami, USC, and Florida State? Hell yes! People calling for Franklin's head are pure morons.

One more thing....when I was at a game recently I sat next to someone closely connected to the program. I was told that Julian Fleming came to the whiteout vs Michigan and there was some optimism among the staff that he could be turned back to PSU until some jacko!f fan talked all kinds of trash to Julian. While I would hope that he would make decisions bigger than some idiot fan's comments or the status of one player (Justin Shorter) I had no idea he was at the Michigan game and even a possibility for a flip. If it is true it just proves the point that recruits read and take into account the negativity spewed by a fanbase.

was the two best players on the field Justin Fields and Chase Young. Both are elite difference makers.

In the case of Justin Fields it was incredible opportunity that a talent like that became a "free agent" right when Dwayne Haskins was departing. Had that game been played with Tate Martell at QB we could easily be looking at Penn State at the top of the Big 10 and heading comfortably to the playoff.

I think Franklin has done an amazing job since taking over a program at rock bottom. This young team is within one horrible call (PI on Dan George at Minnesota) from being 11-1. Keep your head up James, keep recruiting at a top level, make adjustments where needed, and you're knocking on the door of elite the same way that Clemson and Dabo were a few years back before they broke through.

As for the fans....a dose of reality is needed. Are we better off with James than programs like Texas, Miami, USC, and Florida State? Hell yes! People calling for Franklin's head are pure morons.

One more thing....when I was at a game recently I sat next to someone closely connected to the program. I was told that Julian Fleming came to the whiteout vs Michigan and there was some optimism among the staff that he could be turned back to PSU until some jacko!f fan talked all kinds of trash to Julian. While I would hope that he would make decisions bigger than some idiot fan's comments or the status of one player (Justin Shorter) I had no idea he was at the Michigan game and even a possibility for a flip. If it is true it just proves the point that recruits read and take into account the negativity spewed by a fanbase.
He was tailgating with his girlfriend and I believe he didn't go to the game.

Word is that Flemming might be "enhancing" his performance. So might be better he doesn't go to PSU.

I think our program is in a good place and I’m not interested in replacing Franklin. But I also think I can be realistic about where we are not, and that is at the top tier.

Also not sure he’s recruiting at a “top level” though I suppose that depends how you define it. I think top level is top 5 or so, like the class 2 years ago. Problem is, last year we were 11th (more importantly 16th in avg *), and this year 12th (16th avg again) which is likely to drop as we’re done signing and others below us have more to come. We also got 0 five stars those two years. That’s not top level, that’s mid tier.

Again, I don’t want Franklin going anywhere, let’s just be realistic about where we are and where we’re heading.

There was a thread here last season that asked if PSU had hit its ceiling with Franklin as HC.

I think many out there wonder if Franklin has hit his ceiling with PSU. He could pull much better talent at USC or FSU. I hope PSU fans start to realize what we have here.

Reactions: Kiber and grinagrin
With the lack of more than one difference maker at WR, I have wondered if Julian could be switched. He would be an instant starter and get lots of press. The failure of Shorter and anyone else to develop leaves us without a reliable big guy for 50/50 balls. Trace was blessed with 3 or 4.

Why should we compare ourselves with Texas, Miami, USC, and FSU?
They’ve all won MNC more recently than we?
Just joking
This team needs to learn to take care of business. We fans need to realize the same thing.

There was a thread here last season that asked if PSU had hit its ceiling with Franklin as HC.

I think many out there wonder if Franklin has hit his ceiling with PSU. He could pull much better talent at USC or FSU. I hope PSU fans start to realize what we have here.

We are going to lose a lot after this year. If some guys don't step up, I could easily see a similar outcome next year. Essentially a ceiling has been attained.

With the lack of more than one difference maker at WR, I have wondered if Julian could be switched. He would be an instant starter and get lots of press. The failure of Shorter and anyone else to develop leaves us without a reliable big guy for 50/50 balls. Trace was blessed with 3 or 4.
And their development is on them or what is being taught?(or more accurately HOW it is being taught)

If Penn State beats Rutgers, it will be 10-2, losses to unbeaten (at the time) Minnesota and Ohio State.

Despite facing an undefeated team playing in its program's biggest game in decades, at home, after an extra week to prepare, and despite a 1st-year starting QB throwing an uncharacteristic 3 interceptions, Penn State came within clearly uncalled PI against Minnesota and questionable PI against PSU from winning the game.

Losing to what some CFB people called the "best team in Ohio State history" by 11 after losing its starting QB down 21-0 in the 3rd quarter is far from a negative.

If 10-2 with such losses is a "ceiling," then call in Michelangelo to paint it. I'll buy it every year, because at some point, those PI calls won't continue to go against PSU, and OSU won't annually put forth its "best team ever."

If Penn State beats Rutgers, it will be 10-2, losses to unbeaten (at the time) Minnesota and Ohio State.

Despite facing an undefeated team playing in its program's biggest game in decades, at home, after an extra week to prepare, and despite a 1st-year starting QB throwing an uncharacteristic 3 interceptions, Penn State came within clearly uncalled PI against Minnesota and questionable PI against PSU from winning the game.

Losing to what some CFB people called the "best team in Ohio State history" by 11 after losing its starting QB down 21-0 in the 3rd quarter is far from a negative.

If 10-2 with such losses is a "ceiling," then call in Michelangelo to paint it. I'll buy it every year, because at some point, those PI calls won't continue to go against PSU, and OSU won't annually put forth its "best team ever."

No me. I’m ok with splitting games with Ohio State and Michigan - given their blue blood status. We’ve split the last four with Michigan. At the minimum, we should have split the last four with Ohio State.

I think our program is in a good place and I’m not interested in replacing Franklin. But I also think I can be realistic about where we are not, and that is at the top tier.

Also not sure he’s recruiting at a “top level” though I suppose that depends how you define it. I think top level is top 5 or so, like the class 2 years ago. Problem is, last year we were 11th (more importantly 16th in avg *), and this year 12th (16th avg again) which is likely to drop as we’re done signing and others below us have more to come. We also got 0 five stars those two years. That’s not top level, that’s mid tier.

Again, I don’t want Franklin going anywhere, let’s just be realistic about where we are and where we’re heading.
We had two five stars last cycle in Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon. I think Curtis Jacobs has an outside chance of getting there this year.

No me. I’m ok with splitting games with Ohio State and Michigan - given their blue blood status. We’ve split the last four with Michigan. At the minimum, we should have split the last four with Ohio State.

So how did you survive the years Penn State did not get 10 wins if you are not ok with CJF get 10+ wins 3 of last 4 seasons? And yes, I too was annoyed players and staff last few years f’d wins away.

This is a Rivals board and I'm using Rivals rankings (other sites may give out many more 5*, I don't know). Those players were not 5* on Rivals.
You’re being myopic. Who the crap cares whether its Rivals or not. The recruiting industry in general says they’re 5 stars so they are.

Some staying close to home (Wingo) for instance. Florida and California has a lot more high end talent than Pa and DMV.
I think Franklin has a lot more recruiting connections in the east than he does in the west.

Franklin has us right where we've always been and always should be. When you value more than just winning, as PSU has does, you can still have very good football teams each year but you'll probably only make a run at the Natty every few years. I'm good with that. We aren't Bama, USC or O$U. We aren't a football factory and I hope we never are. Keep the Grand Experiment alive. It's what makes PSU special.

I think, there’s a decent shot he’s leaving. Absolutely zero info, just a gut feeling there’s a chance. And it would be a shame. Just got this unfuzzy feeling leading up to, during and after OSU game.

Reactions: Mixolydian
I think Franklin has a lot more recruiting connections in the east than he does in the west.
Doesn’t matter, if you can sell you can sell anywhere. And not hard there if Helton can go 8-4. Plus he can get some east coast kids here and there. He’d do very well.

Stop making sense. It’ll blow (some) people’s mind.

Not many (if any) coaches could recruit as well as Franklin in State College. It's just not a place every kid wants to go too.

You’re being myopic. Who the crap cares whether its Rivals or not. The recruiting industry in general says they’re 5 stars so they are.

No, I’m being very specific because the statistics I’m aware of regarding the likelihood of becoming and NFL draft pick, college all-American, etc are based on the number of 4 and 5 Stars Rivals gives out, not “the recruiting industry in general,” whatever that means. If Rivals gives 35 five stars and another site gives 100, that makes a big difference to the discussion.

Good post overall. I will only concede it's your money. Feel free to spend it as you wish. If you're content being an also-ran, beating OSU once every four years, then more power to you. At least your expectations are properly aligned. You don't expect a Michelangelo when all you can afford is a Tom Keating knock off.

It's looking more and more like 2016 was an aberration. Franklin caught 'lightening in a bottle' in the combination of Moorhead, Barkley, McSorley, Godwin, Gesicki and Hamilton. Best offense we've had since 1994. Yes?

And as for your prognosis on bad calls such as PI, don't bet on it! Not in this conference. I've come to expect flags after every big play by our offense.

Thank you.

Franklin has us right where we've always been and always should be. When you value more than just winning, as PSU has does, you can still have very good football teams each year but you'll probably only make a run at the Natty every few years. I'm good with that. We aren't Bama, USC or O$U. We aren't a football factory and I hope we never are. Keep the Grand Experiment alive. It's what makes PSU special.

I don't see any asterisks next to the national championships of Bama or OSU. I've never heard anyone on Gameday qualify their success. I mean, why do we gather here? Certainly it isn't to discuss graduation rates. It's incumbent upon each player to make the most of his free ride. Speaking of the Grand Experiment, bring it up at the water cooler and you'll find yourself standing alone. We're in the age of free agency and conferences striving for relevancy (see the Big XII). Now, more than ever, time is of the essence.

Reactions: scrivener
Doesn’t matter, if you can sell you can sell anywhere. And not hard there if Helton can go 8-4. Plus he can get some east coast kids here and there. He’d do very well.

So coach's winning PCT is .672, .701 at PSU...
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/james-franklin-2.html

Good enough to get a job interview at USC or FSU. Perhaps. Good enough to hold down a job there for 3-4 years. Very unlikely. The difference 'there' vs. here. Culture. They expect to always win. We don't, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread. Participation trophies are alright.

I like others am wondering if Coach Franklin feels he has run up against the Peter Principle at Penn State. I mean, if he's intent on becoming the first AA coach to with the NC then there are paths of least resistance, each with its own inherent risks.

Whatever happens, wherever he goes, I wish him success. He's a good egg and has done much for the program.

No, I’m being very specific because the statistics I’m aware of regarding the likelihood of becoming and NFL draft pick, college all-American, etc are based on the number of 4 and 5 Stars Rivals gives out, not “the recruiting industry in general,” whatever that means. If Rivals gives 35 five stars and another site gives 100, that makes a big difference to the discussion.
247, the one I mentioned, gives out exactly 32 five star ratings a year to correlate with the 32 picks in the first round of the draft. The difference is that Smith was ranked in the teens with 247, and in the 30s on Rivals.

Personally, I don’t think a kid should be punished in the rankings for not attending a Rivals camp, so I tend to trust 247 a whole lot more.

I think, there’s a decent shot he’s leaving. Absolutely zero info, just a gut feeling there’s a chance. And it would be a shame. Just got this unfuzzy feeling leading up to, during and after OSU game.
I am with you - just a gut feeling. I have watched most of his press conferences (especially the Wed night practice sessions) this year and something has changed in his demeanor the past couple of weeks. He just doesn't appear to be quite as upbeat as he has been in the past. The "body language" is a little bit off. I certainly hope it is just the rigors of a long hard season and he is wearing down, which would be understandable. But, something has changed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT