ADVERTISEMENT

SUPER NICE David Taylor stories-that is OLYMPIC CHAMPION DAVID TAYLOR

psykim

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
I hope others can share nice stores about OLYMPIC CHAMPION DAVID TAYLOR! First, I am just a Penn State fan/alumni, nobody famous in the wrestling world. When David was
a freshman PSU wrestled in a tournament in Binghamton NY. After David went to the bathroom, I (decked in PSU gear so he knew I was a PSU fan) went up to David and said congratulations
for picking Penn State as his college. I knew David was a top top recruit and had switched college choices to come to wrestler for Cael. He could not have been nicer and more polite! He spent 4 to 5 minutes talking when
he could have just said hello and walked away! A few years later, after he won his first NCAA title and Hodge trophy, David was in the Nittany Lion Club (I have club seats). He was alone for a moment so I
went up to congratulate him. He again could not have been nicer. He again spent several minutes talking and could have been more nice. I of course am a David Taylor (that is Olympic Champion
David Taylor) fan for life. I also know David was an excellent student at PSU. Also, from all I read David was always close to his parents and has now as an adult become a super family man-great husband and dad. I hope he is an successful in his post Olympic life in his business as he promotes wrestling in PA and in the USA. I am proud to say that David is a PENN STATER FOR LIFE AND An OLYMPIC CHAMPION FOR LIFE!

I hope others can share nice stores about OLYMPIC CHAMPION DAVID TAYLOR! First, I am just a Penn State fan/alumni, nobody famous in the wrestling world. When David was
a freshman PSU wrestled in a tournament in Binghamton NY. After David went to the bathroom, I (decked in PSU gear so he knew I was a PSU fan) went up to David and said congratulations
for picking Penn State as his college. I knew David was a top top recruit and had switched college choices to come to wrestler for Cael. He could not have been nicer and more polite! He spent 4 to 5 minutes talking when
he could have just said hello and walked away! A few years later, after he won his first NCAA title and Hodge trophy, David was in the Nittany Lion Club (I have club seats). He was alone for a moment so I
went up to congratulate him. He again could not have been nicer. He again spent several minutes talking and could have been more nice. I of course am a David Taylor (that is Olympic Champion
David Taylor) fan for life. I also know David was an excellent student at PSU. Also, from all I read David was always close to his parents and has now as an adult become a super family man-great husband and dad. I hope he is an successful in his post Olympic life in his business as he promotes wrestling in PA and in the USA. I am proud to say that David is a PENN STATER FOR LIFE AND An OLYMPIC CHAMPION FOR LIFE!
I only hesitate to say he is a class act, since it's not an act. I have yet to see him behave in a way that would bring discredit to his team, his family or his beliefs. I hope he changes as many lives for the better as Cael has been doing.

My wife was in the N. Atherton Waffle Shop two years ago with her 96 year-old mother. They were leaving and my mother-in-law moves - no surprise - very slowly. DT (with his wife) was almost to the exit door and my wife and mother-in-law had just left the counter. He waited at the end of the corridor until my mother-in-law made it to the exit so that he could hold the door open. My wife was impressed and is a fan.

Last edited:
My son attended a DT camp held by USA wrestling in Hawaii. He was maybe 8 or 9 at the time. Obviously my son is a huge DT fan, and wanted to learn his ankle pick. He was struggling to get it down pat, as DT and Cael circle someone opposite than I was taught and taught him. DT pulled him off to the side for probably 15 minutes until he got it down.

This year he hit ankle picks to win RMN and Tulsa.

My son attended a DT camp held by USA wrestling in Hawaii. He was maybe 8 or 9 at the time. Obviously my son is a huge DT fan, and wanted to learn his ankle pick. He was struggling to get it down pat, as DT and Cael circle someone opposite than I was taught and taught him. DT pulled him off to the side for probably 15 minutes until he got it down.

This year he hit ankle picks to win RMN and Tulsa.
Love it! Good stuff. It’s the little details…
How many times have us Penn St’ers heard that from really great Penn St’ers, but how true! I think that’s why we have such success in the workplace. It’s a culture thing.

Ranger Dan will not be happy with this thread. :oops:
I already googled the results from work, knowing that it’s unlikely for me to get home without knowing. Some other chucklehead on the MacAndrew board posted with results in the subject line. It’s not that hard to be considerate of others.

I think David Taylor would post with a subject like “Kyle Dake’s Olympic wrestling results (spoiler alert)”

what would DT do?

I already googled the results from work, knowing that it’s unlikely for me to get home without knowing. Some other chucklehead on the MacAndrew board posted with results in the subject line. It’s not that hard to be considerate of others.

I think David Taylor would post with a subject like “Kyle Dake’s Olympic wrestling results (spoiler alert)”

what would DT do?
He'd stay off the boards.

PSU Wrestling needs like 8 assistant coaches, one of which may be the Magic Man. (Who might the others be) We need to keep David Taylor around forever! Best Penn State wrestler ever!

Don't know about forever, but DT is solidly entrenched in the SC area, with his very successful M2 Club.

Reactions: nitlion6
Don't know about forever, but DT is solidly entrenched in the SC area, with his very successful M2 Club.
I always wondered - does his club do well? Like fiscally (obvies reputationally it is very good)

I'm thinking DT has always followed Cael in more ways then one. I find it hard to believe that someday DT will not be following in Cael's coaching shoes and going for another ten in a row while coaching PSU great man and very humble.

Many of you have heard this one before. For those who haven't, here goes.

At my first Southern Scuffle, I was standing on the mezzanine, looking down to the arena floor. DT was on a mat that wasn't being used, watching the action on other mats. I noticed a group of four or five young boys whispering to each other, and slowly approaching David. They only got so close, before losing their nerve and sitting down fifteen or twenty feet from him.

Even from my distant vantage point, the conversation they were having was obvious. "I'm not going over to him. You go." "Nuh-uh. You go." Finally, one of the kids worked up the stones to approach DT. He slowly, cautiously, nervously made his way over, as if David was going to double-leg him for talking to him. He even checked back a time or two to make sure his friends didn't double-cross him and take off.

The kid must've asked if the group could have their picture taken with DT, and it was no sooner out of his mouth, than Taylor jumped up enthusiastically, made his way over to the group and hammed it up for some photos. Those kids were beaming from ear to ear.

That was very early in my PSU wrestling fandom, since wrestling had only been invented shortly before that, but it has left an enduring impression on me to this day.

Well my DT story doesn’t involve DT but his grandmother. We were at nationals in the. nosebleed section and this very proper older lady was sitting right in the middle of the crew. Being friendly we apologized for what we may say/do. She introduced herself and was banished from the family seats because she was too enthusiastic for them, she fit right in and a great lady definitely see where David gets it from.

The story about Taylor discouraging young wrestlers from cutting weight is a classic, and part of who he is.

The crux of it: Taylor attended a youth tourney and saw some youngster running off those extra 1-2 lb. Taylor asked and the kid said his father said he was wrestling at whatever weight. Taylor told the kid to go to his father, point at Taylor, and say: he told me kids should never cut weight and I should wrestle at the next weight up.

The entry was the same but the mechanics very different for the winning shot vs. Yazdani.

I agree. From an earlier post of mine on this topic: "Specifically, I see David driving in a solid underhook, which causes Yazdani to step back. David then quickly pulls out his underhook, executing a really nice snap down in the process. It was an excellent snapdown and caused Yazdani to fall forward. At the same time, and I believe this is crucial, David takes a deep step back, quickly lowering his level (David's ability as a big man to execute such a low double that late in the match just shows how phenomenally physically prepared he was). By this point Yazdani is off balance and out of position. David then shoots that low blast double, driving through Yazdani's face in the process (no doubt helped by Yazdani's more upright stance, which was a byproduct of him being tired from having to weather David's pace all match and also his reaction to the snapdown). In summary, underhook, snapdown, step back and blast double all completed almost simultaneously did the trick! At least that is how I see it."

Last edited:
what a great interview-interviewer did a nice job too. David sure appreciates his parents who drove him over and over long distances repeatedly to practices and matches without ever complaining. Clearly, he had dreamed of being an Olympic champion since he was a little boy. Most of us have big dreams but they get squashed. Clearly, nothing was given to him. He gives credits to his super coaches! He has worked super hard year after year, coming back from different adversities (some wrestling losses, injuries) which make what he accomplished even better. Amazing, as hard as he worked and as talented as he is, he needed every skill he had, every energy he had, every bit of courage, and every bit of his dedication to win an Olympic gold medal in the last 15 seconds. Congratulations, again, Olympic gold medal winner David Taylor! We will see you again at World championships and in Paris in in 24! David is so inspirational; if he ever wants to coach he would be great at it. I hope every success with his business, good health for his family, and good luck in the future with his wrestling and whatever else he choses to do with his life and family. Thank you for great past memories and future ones you will make!

what a great interview-interviewer did a nice job too. David sure appreciates his parents who drove him over and over long distances repeatedly to practices and matches without ever complaining. Clearly, he had dreamed of being an Olympic champion since he was a little boy. Most of us have big dreams but they get squashed. Clearly, nothing was given to him. He gives credits to his super coaches! He has worked super hard year after year, coming back from different adversities (some wrestling losses, injuries) which make what he accomplished even better. Amazing, as hard as he worked and as talented as he is, he needed every skill he had, every energy he had, every bit of courage, and every bit of his dedication to win an Olympic gold medal in the last 15 seconds. Congratulations, again, Olympic gold medal winner David Taylor! We will see you again at World championships and in Paris in in 24! David is so inspirational; if he ever wants to coach he would be great at it. I hope every success with his business, good health for his family, and good luck in the future with his wrestling and whatever else he choses to do with his life and family. Thank you for great past memories and future ones you will make!
Great post

It's insane and time flies, DT came here in 2009 as a baby faced 17 year old. He's had his highs and he's had his lows as a wrestler but through it all, he never stopped believing, working and perfecting his craft while being a great person and giving back to the community. It feels like we watched DT grow up in front of our very eyes.

Hey guys, I know time can be limited and sometimes we have to let some of these videos just go by but trust me, you want to watch but even more so listen to this one. Great look into a David’s heart and mind.
I know this is Taylor’s time, but the story about him and Stieber wrestling for true 2nd because Andrew Alton beat them both. Wow. Injuries suck

Someone posted a picture of Taylor receiving his medal at a Reno Worlds tournament with Dan Hodge. Looks like he was about 9 or 10 in pic. Anyway, a man replied to the post that about broke my heart. Hope someone close to David or his dad sees it. I have no doubt they'd get that man his video if they still have it. Here was his post...

"My son Tyler Allen wrestled him in the finals of that tournament. He passed from a car accident he was in at 14. I lost all the wrestling footage of him. I know David’s dad recorded that match. I sure wish I could see My son Wrestle again… olympics was our dream to, David Accomplished it for us to who didn’t get the chance."

Last edited:
Someone posted a picture of Taylor receiving his medal at a Reno Worlds tournament with Dan Hodge. Looks like he was about 9 or 10 in pic. Anyway, a man replied to the post that about broke my heart. Hope someone close to David or his dad sees it. I have no doubt they'd get that man his video if they still have it. Here was his post...

"My son Tyler Allen wrestled him in the finals of that tournament. He passed from a car accident he was in at 14. I lost all the wrestling footage of him. I know David’s dad recorded that match. I sure wish I could see My son Wrestle again… olympics was our dream to, David Accomplished it for us to who didn’t get the chance."
Unbelievable! A few of us saw that post on facebook and told the man we would try to help. Guess what.... within minutes after the initial post, Mr. Taylor is looking through his old vids as we speak!

The amazing bond throughout the wrestling community is just remarkable!

Here’s a great interview David did with Flo (also posted in the social thread)
Finally had time to listen to this interview and it's just wow.

Everyone should try to listen to it....

But I'll take and point this out again.....Cael (camel) may be the man but casey c needs more love from the fans. That guy is given so much credit by the wrestlers and I think it's often missed by the fans.

Casey needs more love for giving psu the best....the absolute best......middle weight room in the country. If someone could lay down the stats from psu since wrestling started the middle weight production at psu has be the best or near the best ever.

He could have a multitude of jobs to be the man. But he seems to be content in his lane and he cranks out monsters on the mat like maybe none before.

#walksoftlycarryahuuuuuugestick

Finally had time to listen to this interview and it's just wow.

Everyone should try to listen to it....

But I'll take and point this out again.....Cael (camel) may be the man but casey c needs more love from the fans. That guy is given so much credit by the wrestlers and I think it's often missed by the fans.

Casey needs more love for giving psu the best....the absolute best......middle weight room in the country. If someone could lay down the stats from psu since wrestling started the middle weight production at psu has be the best or near the best ever.

He could have a multitude of jobs to be the man. But he seems to be content in his lane and he cranks out monsters on the mat like maybe none before.

#walksoftlycarryahuuuuuugestick
IG post from Casey, humbly claiming to be "a small part of it." Sarah is having none of that, and jumps in assuring him that he's not just a small part. She was great on IG during the Olympics, with things like this. Her message to Gilman, thanking him for trusting "us" (assuming the whole staff and families) and moving his family to HV was amazing.

IG post from Casey, humbly claiming to be "a small part of it." Sarah is having none of that, and jumps in assuring him that he's not just a small part. She was great on IG during the Olympics, with things like this. Her message to Gilman, thanking him for trusting "us" (assuming the whole staff and families) and moving his family to HV was amazing.

Pretty sure we won 5 medals out of 6 weights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT