ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers draft

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
I changed my mind! Last week I wanted that qb from OK St...but after watching that LB from Georgia yesterday I decided I would rather have him....what a beast!

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Round 1? I think he would be available in rd 2 or 3....

He says it's round one - no idea where he gets his info from or if that mock draft doesn't include underclassmen....would love to see Allen in black and gold though.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
I changed my mind! Last week I wanted that qb from OK St...but after watching that LB from Georgia yesterday I decided I would rather have him....what a beast!

We can probably get Rudolph in the third so Raquan Smith in the first would be a much better pick but he'll be long gone. I can't see him making it out of the top 20.

As much as I would love for the Steelers to take Marcus Allen, haven't seen him projected in the first round in at least 15+ mock drafts. (Hopefully the Steelers can take him in a later round)

The most common name being drafted by the Steelers in round 1 seems to be Rashaan Evans (LB from Alabama). Talking about needing a replacement for Shazier.

He says it's round one - no idea where he gets his info from or if that mock draft doesn't include underclassmen....would love to see Allen in black and gold though.

Yeah, I could see Allen in the third...maybe the second with a great combine. In the first you're looking at Justin Reid or Rodney Harrison. Maybe DeShon Elliot in the second.
Rashaan Evans from Bama makes a ton of sense late first for the Steelers with the Shazier injury
Allen might be a day 3 guy right now--really early day 3
Gesicki's the guy that may jump from late day 2 to early day 2

Ronnie Harrison from Bama or Kameron Kelly from SDSU.
I’m love to see the S from FSU fall, but he is prob top 10.
Wonder if the Shazier injury will change their minds?

As much as I would love for the Steelers to take Marcus Allen, haven't seen him projected in the first round in at least 15+ mock drafts. (Hopefully the Steelers can take him in a later round)

The most common name being drafted by the Steelers in round 1 seems to be Rashaan Evans (LB from Alabama). Talking about needing a replacement for Shazier.

I just don’t if Allen has the hands to be a first round pick. 3rd round could be steal of the draft.

With all due respect to Marcus Allen, any team taking him in the first round would be making a mockery of the entire draft process!

BUT.....many stranger choices have been made in the past and will continue in the future.....and every once in a great while they even pay off.....so who knows, the draft is always fun to watch!

Agreed. I also think it's time to replace Mike Mitchell. He's been getting burned nearly every game.

We can probably get Rudolph in the third so Raquan Smith in the first would be a much better pick but he'll be long gone. I can't see him making it out of the top 20.

Rudolph is a turnover machine against good defenses.....

Please, no.

I’m tired of the Steelers drafting a linebacker in the first round almost every year recently. There are other positions of need. I’d go safety and try to sign a serviceable ILB in free agency. However knowing the steelers attitude towards drafting linebackers and not signing free agents, this likely will not happen.

Baker Mayfield looked good yesterday. I’d consider him if he drops to the end of round one, but I’d guess he will be gone.

As for the browns, color me not impressed with turnover machine darnold or rosen. If I were them I’d go Barkley and the Fitzpatrick and sign a free agent qb. They have $100 mil in cap space.

With all due respect to Marcus Allen, any team taking him in the first round would be making a mockery of the entire draft process!

BUT.....many stranger choices have been made in the past and will continue in the future.....and every once in a great while they even pay off.....so who knows, the draft is always fun to watch!

A mockery? Not quite. Taking Johnny Manziel in the first round is a mockery. Anyway, the mock draft my brother saw this at is from USA Today (from 12/27). Their pick and link below:

29. Pittsburgh Steelers | Marcus Allen | S | Penn State
Every year, a couple of prospects stand out and make me say, “That’s a Steeler.” Allen is one of this year’s, with his fantastic blend of athletic ability, intelligence, instincts and intangibles. His playing style on the field, on the sideline and in the locker room would be a perfect fit here.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/...t-4-round-projections-heading-into-week-17/3/

They do need to address the QB position soon though with someone they legitimately think can start someday.

Next year. I think the guys next year are deeper than this year. Hopefully they have a plan if Ben retires. Hopefully that's Keenum or Daniels or even Cousins

A mockery? Not quite. Taking Johnny Manziel in the first round is a mockery. Anyway, the mock draft my brother saw this at is from USA Today (from 12/27). Their pick and link below:

Every year, a couple of prospects stand out and make me say, “That’s a Steeler.” Allen is one of this year’s, with his fantastic blend of athletic ability, intelligence, instincts and intangibles. His playing style on the field, on the sideline and in the locker room would be a perfect fit here.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/...t-4-round-projections-heading-into-week-17/3/

Well, I’d certainly be shocked if it happens.....but certainly be happy for Marcus if it happens.

I’m tired of the Steelers drafting a linebacker in the first round almost every year recently. There are other positions of need. I’d go safety and try to sign a serviceable ILB in free agency. However knowing the steelers attitude towards drafting linebackers and not signing free agents, this likely will not happen.

Baker Mayfield looked good yesterday. I’d consider him if he drops to the end of round one, but I’d guess he will be gone.

As for the browns, color me not impressed with turnover machine darnold or rosen. If I were them I’d go Barkley and the Fitzpatrick and sign a free agent qb. They have $100 mil in cap space.

If Shazier wasn't injured a LB wouldn't even be discussed.
Barkley and Fitzpatrick are the top 2 players in the draft so I'd agree. I'm not sure Barkley and Fitzpatrick would work. Thye might both go top 3 though. Indy isn't taking a QB--unless they trade back to Denver's spot at 5 then Barkley, QB, QB, Fitzpatrick

I'd be shocked but very happy for Allen...not thrilled for the Steelers if Harrison was on the board. Or Reid

I was not at all impressed with Mayfield yesterday and hope he does not come to Pittsburgh. Bad attitude at times - not NFL leadership ready, and threw into coverage too much. On top of that he is short for an NFL QB.

I'm rooting for a Safety or LB. OL in the middle rounds. They seemed to finally have some very good players in the secondary, with Haden, Hinton, and Burns (still young) at CB, with the young player they got this year in the 3rd round also showing potential. Davis is a hitter and decent in coverage at Safety. Just need an upgrade for Mitchel.

If they take a WR in the middle rounds that will be a wave goodby to MB. But maybe MB has grown up this year and will realize that being the 3rd WR behind AB and Ju-Ju with Ben at the helm is not too bad. That is if Ben comes back.

Last edited:
It's mind blowing how the Steelers continue to hit home runs with their wide receiver picks yet have missed so many times with their secondary picks over the years. I realize picking in the late rounds every year has something to do with it, but with how many corners and safeties they've picked over the years, you'd think they'd luck out with a few of them.

Reactions: BBrown
It's mind blowing how the Steelers continue to hit home runs with their wide receiver picks yet have missed so many times with their secondary picks over the years. I realize picking in the late rounds every year has something to do with it, but with how many corners and safeties they've picked over the years, you'd think they'd luck out with a few of them.
Burns and Davis have been pretty solid. For whatever reason for a number of years Kevin Colbert would not invest in a db in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

Reactions: PearlSUJam

I know your tired of it and I'm not thrilled about it either, especially since they've failed more times than not, but they are going to have to find somebody to take Shazier's place.
They don't have a choice.

Reactions: bytir
I know your tired of it and I'm not thrilled about it either, especially since they've failed more times than not, but they are going to have to find somebody to take Shazier's place.
They don't have a choice.

Its possible they could sign a veteran MLB to take his place, but I'm with you in expecting a LB 1st or 2nd.... MLB's don't seem to be as coveted as OLB's by some teams so maybe they can get one in the 2nd round.

Its possible they could sign a veteran MLB to take his place, but I'm with you in expecting a LB 1st or 2nd.... MLB's don't seem to be as coveted as OLB's by some teams so maybe they can get one in the 2nd round.

Agree completely. Unless Dick Butkus is sitting around at the end of round 1, they should wait. There should be a solid ILB at the end of round 2, as very few get taken early. As they learned again last year, waiting until the end of round 2 for a safety that can start sooner rather than later (even in a draft supposedly loaded with them) is a huge risk.

Quarterback can wait until Ben is gone. A painful 3-13 season under Laundry Jones will position them well for a new one.

Agree completely. Unless Dick Butkus is sitting around at the end of round 1, they should wait. There should be a solid ILB at the end of round 2, as very few get taken early. As they learned again last year, waiting until the end of round 2 for a safety that can start sooner rather than later (even in a draft supposedly loaded with them) is a huge risk.

Quarterback can wait until Ben is gone. A painful 3-13 season under Laundry Jones will position them well for a new one.

Yep, we can speculate all we want about QB's, but good teams are very picky about choosing one so it's just hard to speculate on when a match at QB will be there. Some were surprised when the Steelers took Ben. Just got to trust the organization to handle it for the long term.

As much as I would love to see Marcus in Black and Gold, S is not a dire need for The Steelers - with Shazier's career most likely over they need to draft a dominant rangy LB to fill that void. They also need to address QB early as BB is rapidly approaching the end of his career and I can't see The Steelers trading for, or signing, a FA QB.

1st Rd - LB
2nd Rd - QB
3rd Rd - DB/S
4th, 5th, 6th Rd - depth across DL and OL

Although somewhere along the line they'll draft a TE, WR, or RB

Man I'd hope not. He's more likely a third rounder to me. He's no ball hawk. What's he got, like one career interception?

Man I'd hope not. He's more likely a third rounder to me. He's no ball hawk. What's he got, like one career interception?

Maybe they will draft Allen to replace Shazier. Allen is almost as big, and he is dominant against the run......

First, I see the LB from Alabama most often. Second, Allen's draft status is hurt by his lack on INTs over his career. NFL teams like to see more in that area

I too think that's a little high for Allen but would love to see him in Pittsburgh. He's not a ball hawk for sure - only one interception but it did go for 50 yards :).

Also note he passed Brian Gelzheiser for fifth all time in tackles at Penn State (320 - a list that is exclusively linebackers save Allen). He also racked up 17 tackles for loss. So, if you want a hard hitting safety who will help in run support, he's the guy. I see him going second round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT