ADVERTISEMENT

State college pizza

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
Where do you think has the best pizza in town? Will be taking the kids up to the basketball game on the 29th and need it to be a place that has just a quality cheese pizza for them too.

I don’t know if it is still open or not (it at least appears it’s open on Google), but I remember Margarita’s Pizzeria being quite good when we were last that way to see family. Then again, this is coming from the outsider so take it with a grain of salt…

Reactions: bison13
In the late 1960s I ate almost all my meals at HiWay Pizza. I loved the place. I had pizza for dinner every day.
I don’t blame you, and the cool thing about that place is that it’d never grow old with all the different styles they had (don’t know if it was that way back then, though). Never seen a pizzeria where you could get a NY-style thin crust and a Chicago deep dish at the same place. Pretty neat.

Reactions: step.eng69
Bison- not sure of the age of your kids but if Under 12 the games over Holiday Break are free:

Kids 12 and Under Get in FREE
Join us as we close out 2022 and ring in the New Year at the BJC! Penn State men’s basketball welcomes kids 12 and under to attend our next four games for FREE:

Sunday, Dec. 18 @ Noon
vs. Canisius

Thursday, Dec. 22 @ 8:30 p.m.
Quinnipiac

Thursday, Dec. 29 @ 2 p.m.
Delaware State

Sunday, Jan. 1 @ 5:30 p.m.
vs. Iowa

Reactions: WaylonJ and bison13
Bison- not sure of the age of your kids but if Under 12 the games over Holiday Break are free:

Join us as we close out 2022 and ring in the New Year at the BJC! Penn State men’s basketball welcomes kids 12 and under to attend our next four games for FREE:

Sunday, Dec. 18 @ Noon
vs. Canisius

Quinnipiac

Delaware State

vs. Iowa
Yes, that was part of our rationale. Thanks.

I ate a lot there between '66 and '70. Friend of mine worked there and discounts were plenty
What was the name of the local group that played at the Square Pie Shop? They were really good. I remember they used to play some of the real old Bee Gees stuff.

Everyone needs to head down the Benner Pike to Bellefonte for the Hofbrau. Has been there for 50 yrs +. Sells thin crust along with their regular crust.
Makes Hi Way pizza look like a grocery store pizza.
BEST DAMN Pizza on Centre County !

Everyone needs to head down the Benner Pike to Bellefonte for the Hofbrau. Has been there for 50 yrs +. Sells thin crust along with their regular crust.
Makes Hi Way pizza look like a grocery store pizza.
BEST DAMN Pizza on Centre County !
Hofbrau is always excellent. Cove isn't bad up the hill from Hickey's on Squirrel Dr. I recently re-discovered Brothers in Hamilton Sq and it was very good but I picked it up there. I think delivery can really throw some knuckle-curves at the quality. Always thought Hi-Way was way overrated but it's all a matter of taste.

I loved pizza place on Locust Lane. It was College Pizza, maybe at time, below the Mart. Older Italian guy ran it. I think his name was Angelo or something. This was 28 years ago, 1994-ish. He was probably 50-ish at time so late 70s now. He used to flirt with college girls. They had this sweet, red-pepper pizza sauce that I would get on side which was delicious. God, the stories that man has. We all went there drunk as can be. I can't imagine what he saw.

Reactions: WeARE
I loved pizza place on Locust Lane. It was College Pizza, maybe at time, below the Mart. Older Italian guy ran it. I think his name was Angelo or something. This was 28 years ago, 1994-ish. He was probably 50-ish at time so late 70s now. He used to flirt with college girls. They had this sweet, red-pepper pizza sauce that I would get on side which was delicious. God, the stories that man has. We all went there drunk as can be. I can't imagine what he saw.
Crazy Carmine’s was the name of the place

Crazy Carmine’s was the name of the place
Carmine was a crazy bastard!

martial arts oh no you didnt GIF by Shaw Brothers

• Love

Sunday, Dec. 18 @ Noon
vs. Canisius

Quinnipiac

Delaware State

vs. Iowa
It's great they're doing this, and a no-brainer really. Team is (I hate this overused phrase but it's true) fun to watch.

Tussey Mountain for light skiing or snow tubing could be fun. Their website is awful, but the slopes were covered on our way out of town from MSU game.

In my mind I planned many PSU Winter weekends with my kids when they were in Middle School. Only ever did one when my son was a freshman at another school and my daughter was looking hard at Smore. Got a great deal online to stay at Nittany Lion Inn.

Never got to the ski slope.

Wish I'd have done it more.

Take them to Canyon Pizza on Beaver Avenue. The kids will love it. The pizza is not very good, but it's also not that bad. The kids will love the unlimited Ranch Dressing and probably eat more of that than the actual pizza. An 18" cheese pizza is only $15 so you won't break the bank. In addition, kids usually like to walk around town.

Others here are about to slam Canyon but I stand by my suggestion. They are probably going on hearsay while I have first hand experience.

Tussey Mountain for light skiing or snow tubing could be fun. Their website is awful, but the slopes were covered on our way out of town from MSU game.

In my mind I planned many PSU Winter weekends with my kids when they were in Middle School. Only ever did one when my son was a freshman at another school and my daughter was looking hard at Smore. Got a great deal online to stay at Nittany Lion Inn.

My wife (PSU 2001) and I (99) have similar plans. Just walking around town and catching the basketball game are a start. I think my daughter likes volleyball as she enjoys going to our HS games while I serve as AD, so I definitely want to bring her up for a game in the fall. Agree with you about Tussey, website blows

My wife (PSU 2001) and I (99) have similar plans. Just walking around town and catching the basketball game are a start. I think my daughter likes volleyball as she enjoys going to our HS games while I serve as AD, so I definitely want to bring her up for a game in the fall. Agree with you about Tussey, website blows
I don't know if you're staying overnight, but the women's hockey team is playing both Friday and Saturday. Your daughter may enjoy seeing girls compete in college as well.

Take them to Canyon Pizza on Beaver Avenue. The kids will love it. The pizza is not very good, but it's also not that bad. The kids will love the unlimited Ranch Dressing and probably eat more of that than the actual pizza. An 18" cheese pizza is only $15 so you won't break the bank. In addition, kids usually like to walk around town.

Others here are about to slam Canyon but I stand by my suggestion. They are probably going on hearsay while I have first hand experience.
You mean the place that was just closed for several week after being shut down by the Dept of Health for multiple violations? Yeah, I'd take me kids there! :rolleyes:

Reactions: psu1969a
You mean the place that was just closed for several week after being shut down by the Dept of Health for multiple violations? Yeah, I'd take me kids there! :rolleyes:
Meh. Figures you'd be the first to complain. Name a restaurant that doesn't have multiple violations. Since they are now open it's perhaps the only one in State College that would pass.

thanks but we need sit down place for young kids, not college kids who have 2 dollars to spend while needing a midnight snack.lol

I don't know if you're staying overnight, but the women's hockey team is playing both Friday and Saturday. Your daughter may enjoy seeing girls compete in college as well.
we were going to do the guys then girls BB games but travel plans changed so just guys. I do want her to see the higher level of play though.

thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT