ADVERTISEMENT

State breakdown for the 21 Penn State commits signed thus far for 2018

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
Per Rivals, here is the state breakdown for the 21 commits signed thus far by Penn State for 2018:

Pennsylvania = 7
Florida = 2
Maryland = 2
Texas = 2
Virginia = 2
Connecticut = 1
Illinois = 1
Iowa = 1
Massachusetts = 1
New Jersey = 1
Ohio = 1

Any surprises just looking at the numbers? One that jumps out at me is just one from New Jersey. On the other hand, two from Texas and two from Florida are pluses. It's also good to get two from Virginia and two from Maryland.

Franklin and the staff are obviously getting around. I have absolutely no complaints about the kids signed thus far for 2018, but do you expect Franklin to get more kids from the south and west down the road? As he continues to win and finish with high poll rankings, the program's profile will continue to rise, so he will get more kids' attention. Of course, you go where the talent is opposite your needs, plus you have to find the kids who fit the program's culture ( :eek: ), but I still have to wonder if Franklin will expand the footprint in the coming years.

Thoughts?

Per Rivals, here is the state breakdown for the 21 commits signed thus far by Penn State for 2018:

Pennsylvania = 7
Florida = 2
Maryland = 2
Texas = 2
Virginia = 2
Connecticut = 1
Illinois = 1
Iowa = 1
Massachusetts = 1
New Jersey = 1
Ohio = 1

Any surprises just looking at the numbers? One that jumps out at me is just one from New Jersey. On the other hand, two from Texas and two from Florida are pluses. It's also good to get two from Virginia and two from Maryland.

Franklin and the staff are obviously getting around. I have absolutely no complaints about the kids signed thus far for 2018, but do you expect Franklin to get more kids from the south and west down the road? As he continues to win and finish with high poll rankings, the program's profile will continue to rise, so he will get more kids' attention. Of course, you go where the talent is opposite your needs, plus you have to find the kids who fit the program's culture ( :eek: ), but I still have to wonder if Franklin will expand the footprint in the coming years.

Thoughts?

I think he goes where the players that fit the program are located.... think that has been his way throughout his career. Expect one more player from Jersey on the list and would have been another from Jersey and one more from PA had it not been for personal issues. I think this coach and coaching staff have national appeal. Very glad Pry stayed and looking forward to the future players, no matter their state of origin.

Duh, and the 4 others will have no state of origin, I presume?
The thread title refers to the 21 commits signed thus far. There's nothing to revisit. If we sign four more the list can be updated. "Premature E-Jerkulation" you say? There's nothing wrong with being excited about who officially signed today.

Reactions: m48tank
The thread title refers to the 21 commits signed thus far. There's nothing to revisit. If we sign four more the list can be updated. "Premature E-Jerkulation" you say? There's nothing wrong with being excited about who officially signed today.

You are so f'ing serious. The OP knows I am kidding.... and knows I am delighted with this class. BTW, thanks for the tip that the list can be updated, who would have guessed that besides Nostradamus. Good God.

Reactions: NittPicker
You are so f'ing serious. The OP knows I am kidding.... and knows I am delighted with this class. BTW, thanks for the tip that the list can be updated, who would have guessed that besides Nostradamus. Good God.

old-man-yells-at-cloud.jpg

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Texas and Florida are the two fastest growing states, and as many people from the northeast relocate to them, they bring their Penn State loyalties with them. Their kids are growing up hearing stories about PSU and family back in the northeast make going to school there more attractive.

Texas and Florida are the two fastest growing states, and as many people from the northeast relocate to them, they bring their Penn State loyalties with them. Their kids are growing up hearing stories about PSU and family back in the northeast make going to school there more attractive.
Yes...and throw in Penn State's recent success, publicity about Saquon, a high scoring offense, etc, and the top kids are paying attention to PSU.
Getting them to visit is key, because the visits are very well received (Franklin doing a great job, and the University has so much to offer); at that point, PSU is competitive with any of the top schools, and will get their share of nationally recruited kids.

One of my least favorite myths is that Joe Paterno did not recruit out of state players....(except from Virginia, Md, NJ, NY.... (He did so especially in his prime)

Somehow guys like Leroy Thompson, Micheal Timpson, Sam Gash, Cuncho Brown, Chris Mazyk, Bobby Engram, Booker Moore, Freddie Scott, Pete Giftopolous....do not exist in many fans minds (I guess) ...

There is no doubt, however that CJF is expanding the recruiting base and will do so as needed to get the type of student athlete that suits his programs needs and has a staff which can go into any region of the country and connect with others. It is exciting to me to watch and his press conference yesterday explains this quite clearly....

Reactions: T J
d
I think he goes where the players that fit the program are located.... think that has been his way throughout his career. Expect one more player from Jersey on the list and would have been another from Jersey and one more from PA had it not been for personal issues. I think this coach and coaching staff have national appeal. Very glad Pry stayed and looking forward to the future players, no matter their state of origin.

Thoughts:
Is Oweh a silent?
Is Enis off the table now that we have Dotson?
Walker?

If only we had a thread that tracked the 2018 recruits, all these questions and maybe more would be answered!

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/2018-recruiting-thread.111294

Does the thread answer the aforementioned three questions,? respectfully submitted. I must have missed reading the responses.

April/2016 thread??? A lot has happened since then!

Are we getting Oweh, and/or Walker, and is Enis going elsewhere since we landed Dotson?

Was is the problem?

Lost commits were 1 Michigan, 1 Georgia, 1 New Jersey, And 1 Pa if I remember correctly.

After looking back at this I see it’s wrong. PA should have been 3.
Of course that’s Young, Bleich, and Parsons. But you can say 2 if you ignore Micah in the end.
That’s about 20%. Do you think that’s an average number for a team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT