ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/VIDEO-James-Franklin-Penn-State-Nittany-Lions-football-spring-practice-quarterbacks-Tommy-Stevens-Sean-Clifford-Will-Levis-130846731/

Penn State coach James Franklinmet the media after Wednesday's spring practice session. Because high winds were hitting Centre Country, the practice was held in Holuba Hall.

With just over a week to go until the April 13 Blue-White Game at Beaver Stadium, Franklin discussed quarterbacks Tommy Stevens, Sean Clifford and Will Levis, young receivers Jahan Dotson and Justin Shorter, his defensive ends and defensive tackles, what he said to the team after practice, and much more.

Reactions: Option Bob
Finally some decent questions from the press corps, actually asked about specific players and not the typical “coach, talk about what (insert name) leadership means to the team”. It would be nice if someone could ask what Franklin thinks about the development of the linebackers and how Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon are doing

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/QB-Tommy-Stevens-talks-injury-Sean-Clifford-Penn-State-spring-practice-130861342/

QB Stevens eager to move past injuries, earn starting job
ByTYLER DONOHUE 9 hours ago

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. —Penn State has yet to officially identify a replacement for record-setting three-year starting quarterback Trace McSorley but longtime heir apparent Tommy Stevens remains the perceived leader to eventually lock down that role.

Coming off a rough 2018 that saw him miss significant time on the field due to undisclosed injuries and undergo postseason surgery, the fifth-year senior is following a recovery schedule he hopes will ultimately lead to long-awaited No. 1 duties.

“Being able to be full-go is the main goal but I can’t just jump right into that," Stevens said Wednesday evening after a Penn State spring practice session. "(I’m) just continuing to do what they ask me to do from the training side of it, following all the steps from (Penn State's medical staff) and my doctor back home, and doing everything they think is necessary.”

This strategy resulted in Stevens entering spring camp "limited", according to Nittany Lions coach James Franklin, and he's not operating at "full-go" with 10 days remaining until the Blue-White Game, which concludes spring camp.

“It is tough," Stevens said. "Obviously I want to be doing everything but, with the exception of the spring game, there are no games in April. It’s all about being healthy for the season.”

Penn State kicks off its 2019 campaign Aug. 31 in Beaver Stadium against Idaho. Between now and then, the Nittany Lions staff — most notably Franklin and offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne — must determine which quarterback provides PSU with its best chance for success.

“Right now I think we’re in a really good situation," Franklin said Wednesday. "We’ve got five quarterbacks that are all competing, three that are obviously further along."

Stevens, redshirt sophomore Sean Clifford and redshirt freshman Will Levis form the trio Franklin mentioned, while early enrolled freshmen Michael Johnson Jr. and Ta'Quan Roberson remain in fledgling phases of their collegiate development.

Franklin stated Stevens “has been able to get some really good work” in team “skelly” drills comprised of seven-on-seven competition. All reps are a step in the right direction at this point as he attempts to shake off any rust that may have accrued during a challenging junior year.

Stevens was equipped with a walking boot on his right foot last spring. Midway through August camp, Stevens again landed in a walking boot on that same foot and was seen in possession of crutches.

He made his season debut in Week Five, finishing the fall with 110 passing yards, 118 rushing yards, two receptions and three total touchdowns. Stevens underwent unspecified surgery following the regular season and did not travel with the team to Orlando for Citrus Bowl preparation.

“I was starting to get back in the swing of things in the season, then had a minor setback in the middle of the season and it kind of just continued to get worse," he said. "But all that’s behind me. I had everything done that I needed to be done. I’m ahead of schedule, been doing everything right, and it feels really good.”

This is the outcome Stevens and those around him targeted when determining a surgery timeframe.

“If I would’ve waited until after the (Citrus Bowl), I would’ve been completely shut down (this spring)," he said. "Being able to put myself in this position to compete for the job was, I don’t want to say most important, but if I’m gonna have the opportunity to play the position I need to be doing things in the spring.”

Stevens, who estimates he handles “at least 100 to 200 throws” each day, wants to shed any perception that he can't be counted on to remain healthy for an extended period.

“I’ve kind of been bothered by the whole ‘injury prone’ stigma," Stevens said. "Up until this point last year, I’d never missed a practice. In high school, I never missed anything and played a lot. I wouldn’t say that durability is an issue. I guess (the initial injury) was never really fixed the right way the first time. It was fixed right this time. I’m glad it was fixed right and I’m ready to prove my durability, my worth."

8658724.JPG

Stevens watches a 2018 practice alongside Franklin (left) and Rahne. (Photo: Mark Brennan-FOS/247)
Whether or not Stevens is a full participant in particular portions of practice, he's embraced expanded obligations off the field.

"With Trace leaving, you’ve gotta have someone step up, and it usually comes from the quarterback position," Stevens said. "I wouldn’t say that I hadn’t been a leader in the past, but vocally I guess that leadership role (is different now). … Trying to get the guys going, emphasize little things in the offense as far as speed — an up-beat tempo and controlling that, not letting the defense dictate that. Just trying to be as vocal as possible and somebody that guys can lean on.”

McSorley provided a strong endorsement of Stevens in this aspect two weeks ago while attending Penn State Pro Day.

“Tommy has taken the leadership role with that entire group," McSorley said. "He’s spearheading everything.”

Leading up to the Citrus Bowl — which punctuated a PSU career in which he established program records for total touchdowns, yards and quarterback victories — McSorley recognized an arduous year for Stevens but asserted it could ultimately serve as a launchpad.

"I think it's one of those things that people talk about adversity making you stronger," he said. "This is one of the things I think will make him better. He's had to grow as a player but (without) having actually been on the field as much as he would have liked. And I think it only benefited him and his future and the team and the (team's) future. So I'm really excited about just how he's going to come out of this and what he's going to become after."

Stevens, who signed with Penn State in 2015 after initially committing to stay in his home state with the Indiana Hoosiers, has waited a while for this shot. He spent three seasons as McSorley's primary backup and filled the team's newly implemented "Lion" role, which enabled him to account for nine total touchdowns in 2017 as a passer, receiver and runner.

“It was not what I pictured myself doing when I signed here," Stevens said. "People sign here, obviously they want to play. So that’s been a difficult thing for me — as much as I am able to do, there was a limit. And really it wasn’t in my power to control the limit of what I was gonna do.”

The process forced Stevens to evolve, even if he wasn't an offensive focal point.

“Trying to (put) the team first and do whatever I could for the team was probably the biggest thing that I learned, and it really helped me grow," Stevens said.

This individual enrichment, and the time required to cultivate it, provides an edge considering there is a two-season gap between Stevens and the next-oldest scholarship quarterback at Penn State.

“Obviously being an experienced player, he’s so far along in the offense and defensive recognition," Franklin said. "… His approach and his maturity has been really good — in meetings, taking notes, and asking great questions, and on the field being locked in.”

Despite abundant praise directed toward Stevens' talent and team loyalty from Franklin, McSorley, Rahne and teammates, nothing is guaranteed in 2019. The door is open for him to deliver on years of promise by maximizing his lone season as a Penn State starter and using it to build NFL draft stock, but a bridge must be crossed before ambition can become reality.

Clifford is viewed as Stevens' primary competitor at quarterback. He earned respect from coaches and teammates with expanded reps on the practice field as a redshirt freshman, filling in as No. 2 QB while Stevens was sidelined. He completed five of seven pass attempts for 195 yards and two touchdowns when called upon to play, tossing the longest scoring pass in Penn State history (95 yards) along the way.

"We got into a situation where Sean was able to take advantage of some of those opportunities that Tommy wasn't available for," Franklin said last month. "And now Sean has gained a lot of confidence from that experience as well. But I've got so much respect for Tommy. I've got so much confidence in Tommy."

Stevens understands there is nothing to take for granted in his situation.

“Every day there is competition at every position," he said. "If you’re not getting pushed, there’s a problem. Even when Trace was here, I was trying to push him every day. ... Cliff’s done a great job, with an increase of reps, too. He plays well and he’s on scholarship at Penn State for a reason. Talented football player.”

No one has ever questioned Stevens' talent, and plenty of Penn State fans became enamored with his abilities as he earned 2017 Blue-White Game MVP honors and flashed exciting moments — a four-touchdown performance in the 2017 regular-season finale stands out — during his days as a valuable backup and "Lion".

“My athleticism and my ability to bring other things to the table in the past could help me in the future," Stevens said. "It’s given me a way to get into games, given me a way to get game reps not just at the quarterback position. It’s gonna help me when I run the football and it’s gonna help me when I throw the football, just based on seeing how guys cover you. I’m excited to play the position that I committed here for but, at the same time, I’m thankful that I was given opportunities to play other positions.”

Three years after Stevens ended up on the wrong side of a Penn State quarterback competition, 2019 — fair or not — is his now-or-never season with the Nittany Lions.

“He is as gifted physically as any quarterback I’ve ever been around," Franklin said. "He’s (6-foot-5, 230 pounds), he can run 4.5 (in the 40-yard dash), he’s got a strong arm, he’s got a natural feel for the game. I’ve always said that there’s different types of quarterbacks. There’s quarterbacks that can memorize their progression, and there’s guys that spatially just can see the field and feel the field, almost like a point guard. (They've) got a natural feel for width and depth, and those types of things, and Tommy has that. He really does.”

We aren't likely to learn whether or not Stevens' time has truly arrived until August. In the meantime, a lengthy process of preparation persists.

"(I’m) gonna continue to grow and learn because there’s really no ceiling on the quarterback position," Stevens said. "I’ve just gotta continue to do what I can, as good as a I can.”

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany
https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/04/scenes-from-penn-state-football-practice.html

Scenes from Penn State football practice
Posted Apr 3, 8:26 PM
Penn State football practice, April 3, 2019
By Joe Hermitt | Posted on April 3, 2019 8:01 PM | Updated April 3, 2019 8:21 PM

HO5YDVTGSBCGFI4WAK3Z5D66AA.jpg

2 / 36

Penn State practice
Penn State quarterback Ta'Quan Roberson throws during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

QAMPU6W73VE6NE37L4DWBREVBU.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State quarterback Will Levis throws during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

RUMIP4P3RJEBVPTC3IDGPGE7FY.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State running back Ricky Slade runs during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
OS3WGJEFKVARNGIRRGTDMKQJ3A.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State offensive lineman Rasheed Walker blocks linebacker Micah Parsons during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

AQC64VIB5JF2XEL62V3DQYKF74.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State offensive lineman C.J. Thorpe pass protects during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

65HCEMHRIRDXVK36H45JZMRGKA.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State wide receiver Dan Chisena and cornerback Trent Gordon runs a special teams drill during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
2QPMC52HVBDBFNOJDT37TWHXNA.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State quarterback Will Levis runs during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

6SGJQILGAFBZDAUTGSMMW2VIXY.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State quarterback Ta'Quan Roberson throws during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

66R7A6DGWZH7HOBHVVHXCWW4M4.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State head coach James Franklin talks with quarterbacks Will Levis and Tommy Stevens during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

KYOV4AMOQRDK3FDPHLTQFTJ6PM.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State offensive lineman C.J. Thorpe celebrates after head coach James Franklin announced there would be no morning meetings Thursday during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/04/scenes-from-penn-state-football-practice.html

Scenes from Penn State football practice
Posted Apr 3, 8:26 PM
Penn State football practice, April 3, 2019
By Joe Hermitt | Posted on April 3, 2019 8:01 PM | Updated April 3, 2019 8:21 PM

HO5YDVTGSBCGFI4WAK3Z5D66AA.jpg

2 / 36

Penn State practice

QAMPU6W73VE6NE37L4DWBREVBU.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State quarterback Will Levis throws during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

RUMIP4P3RJEBVPTC3IDGPGE7FY.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State running back Ricky Slade runs during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
OS3WGJEFKVARNGIRRGTDMKQJ3A.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State offensive lineman Rasheed Walker blocks linebacker Micah Parsons during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

AQC64VIB5JF2XEL62V3DQYKF74.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State offensive lineman C.J. Thorpe pass protects during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

65HCEMHRIRDXVK36H45JZMRGKA.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State wide receiver Dan Chisena and cornerback Trent Gordon runs a special teams drill during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
2QPMC52HVBDBFNOJDT37TWHXNA.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State quarterback Will Levis runs during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

6SGJQILGAFBZDAUTGSMMW2VIXY.jpg

Penn State practice

66R7A6DGWZH7HOBHVVHXCWW4M4.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State head coach James Franklin talks with quarterbacks Will Levis and Tommy Stevens during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

KYOV4AMOQRDK3FDPHLTQFTJ6PM.jpg

Penn State practice
Penn State offensive lineman C.J. Thorpe celebrates after head coach James Franklin announced there would be no morning meetings Thursday during practice on April 3, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Levis has an unusual grip on the football, thumb on the laces.

Levis has an unusual grip on the football, thumb on the laces.

The ball is already leaving his hand and probably already started its' rotation. You can find a dozen pictures online of him holding the ball with his fingers on the laces.

The ball is already leaving his hand and probably already started its' rotation. You can find a dozen pictures online of him holding the ball with his fingers on the laces.
pretty sure his QB coach was Nate Davis (tic)..

Davis (6-2, 224) was the Mid-American Conference Player of the Year. He threw for 3,591 yards with 26 touchdowns, eight interceptions and a 64.3 completion percentage. As I recall, Davis would get the snap in the shotgun formation and never adjust the ball to grip the laces. He would just throw it. That shouldn’t be an issue as he learns to take snaps behind center.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
pretty sure his QB coach was Nate Davis (tic)..

Davis (6-2, 224) was the Mid-American Conference Player of the Year. He threw for 3,591 yards with 26 touchdowns, eight interceptions and a 64.3 completion percentage. As I recall, Davis would get the snap in the shotgun formation and never adjust the ball to grip the laces. He would just throw it. That shouldn’t be an issue as he learns to take snaps behind center.

That's the likely explanation, but I still have to assume that this technique is an exception among QB's.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...franklin-knows-there-is-more-behind-them.html

Journey Brown looks pretty big compared to Slade, and CJF said that Slade is a legit 205-210 lbs....

Penn State has a promising ‘Big Three’ in Ricky Slade, KJ Hamler and Pat Freiermuth … and James Franklin knows there is more behind them
Today 10:00 AM
LAMZG7D6CJDC5NFEA35GTHJIQ4.jpg

Penn State running back Journey Brown and Ricky Slade after practice on March 20, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
By Bob Flounders | bflounders@pennlive.com

Penn State’s 2018 offense was above-average by Big Ten standards, nothing more.

The Nittany Lions finished fifth in the conference in total offense, generating 423 yards a game. Much of that success was due to a run game fueled by feature back Miles Sanders and dual-threat quarterback Trace McSorley. PSU averaged just under 205 yards per contest.

The Lions’ passing game was a bit of a problem, however. PSU finished seventh in the conference in passing yards and the team completion percentage of 54.1 percent was 10th-best in the Big Ten.

So with Sanders and McSorley moving on, how does Penn State continue to impress in the run game and become more balanced — and more dangerous — through the air?

The Lions return few of the top skill position threats in the conference in tailback Ricky Slade, wideout KJ Hamler and tight end Pat Freiermuth. And James Franklin knows his coaching staff must develop more depth at those three positions to threaten defenses.

That is where Journey Brown, Nick Bowers and — potentially — Jahan Dotson and Justin Shorter come in.

Franklin discussed his team’s depth at running back, tight end and wideout after Wednesday’s practice.

Freiermuth caught a team-best eight touchdown passes last season, four in Penn State’s last three game. The 6-6, 262-pound sophomore has plenty of room to develop and the same could be said for veteran tight end Nick Bowers and promising youngsters Zack Kuntz and Brenton Strange.

The 6-7 Kuntz, a redshirt freshman from Camp Hill, still must add more size to his 236-pound frame and Strange is a true freshman listed at 222 pounds.

But it all starts with Freiermuth.

“I think (Freiermuth) just needs to be trending in the direction that he is,’’ Franklin said when asked how his top tight end can improve.

“I think one of the things that we love about him is, him and Bowers and even Kuntz, they have a chance to be complete tight ends, Brenton Strange as well. Complete tight ends. Guys that can hurt you in the passing game and guys that are problems in the run game as well.

“I wouldn’t say necessarily that Kuntz and Strange probably fell into that category when they first got here. But because we have two veteran tight ends, it allows us to develop those guys.”

Bowers, listed at 6-4, 265 pounds, dealt with injuries in the past but showed signs of coming around during the late stages of the 2018 season. The fifth-year senior looks the part of a Big Ten tight end. And the Lions’ strength and conditioning staff has more work to do with Kuntz and Strange.

“Right now, I think Pat’s got a chance to be one of the better tight ends in the country,’’ Franklin said.

“I think Bowers has a chance to be one of the better tight ends in the country. I think we got a chance to have a two-headed monster there with Kuntz coming on, on fire and Strange really flashing some nice things. Strange is a lot further along than we thought he would be.’’

A trio of second-year receivers could become key players in the PSU passing game. Shorter, a five-star recruit, is listed at 6-4, 232 pounds heading into his redshirt freshman season. Franklin would prefer he not add any more weight, joking he is a “cheeseburger” away from 250.

Dotson could stand to add some strength and weight, holding just 179 pounds on his 5-11 frame.

“Obviously, the experience for him last really really helped,’’ Franklin said of Dotson, who finished with 13 catches for 203 yards and made several big grabs on third down.

“I think one of the things that he has to do is he has to develop a Big Ten body, and then eventually he’s gotta develop an NFL body. He’s still a little bit behind in that area, he was behind when he got here. But the game comes very natural to him.”

Franklin said new wideouts coach Gerad Parker has already become a positive influence on Shorter and the Lions’ leader has praised walk-on wideout Dan Chisena, a 6-3, 203-pound speedster from Downingtown East, on more than one occasion this spring.

“Coach Parker has been great for (Shorter),’’ Franklin said.

“But (Shorter’s) still, the exciting part, is that he’s still a lotta room for growth. And I think between coming up with a really specific plan for all these guys — like spring ball ends — these are the areas you need to work.’’

“Chisena’s another guy. Chisena’s a guy that’s really had a nice spring that we’re excited about. We recruited him and then the track team stole him from us,'' Franklin added, kidding.

"We got him back. Chisena can run 4.3. He’s 6-2, he’s 210 pounds.”

Brown may be one of Penn State’s most improved players on offense. The Meadville High School sprint champion is listed at 5-11, 206 pounds and he looks like the Lions’ No. 2 option in the run game — behind Slade — coming out of spring.

Franklin said Slade and Brown have separated themselves from the other running backs on the team.

“I know I throw these 4.3’s around, which I don’t believe 4.3 guys exist,’’ Franklin said.

“But those two guys, Journey and Chisena, they can run.”

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany
https://www.collegian.psu.edu/football/article_d51432b2-5672-11e9-818b-73b8fd801117.html

Penn State football practice notebook: Defensive line and wide receivers showing growth and improvement

Another week has gone by, the weather continues to get warmer and the annual Blue-White game is now just over a week away meaning spring practice is quickly come to a close.

Here are three highlights from Penn State’s practice on Wednesday.

Some new faces at receiver
The receiver position is an area where Penn State was searching for playmaking ability and depth last year, outside of the abilities of KJ Hamler.

But Franklin is confident this season some new names are ready to step in and become big time players for the Nittany Lions.

Franklin praised Jahan Dotson, who started four games last season, for his natural ability at the position, but he still has a lot of work to do physically to reach his potential.

“I think one of the things he has to do is he has to develop a Big Ten body and then eventually he has to develop a NFL body,” Franklin said. “There are times where he needs that strength when he is getting pressed manned to get off press coverage. There are times when he needs that when he makes a nice catch to get some YAC and break a tackle.”

Dotson wasn’t the only player Franklin praised, as he mentioned the flashes that Justin Shorter is showing, as well as the pure speed of Dan Chisena.

But this talent is still raw.

Franklin went on to say that that Shorter currently has a weakness in his ‘transition stuff.”

“It’s playing as big and strong as he is in terms of contested catches, in terms of blocking, in terms of releasing, being physical, but he shows great flashes,” Franklin said. “I think Coach Parker has been great for him.

“The exciting part is he still has a lot of room for growth.”

Focus on Florida
It is no secret that James Franklin and the rest of the Penn State coaching staff are targeting Florida as a potential pipeline for the Nittany Lions, and according to Franklin, Penn State’s involvement in the state is only going to grow larger.

“We have a huge alumni base down there,” Franklin said. “We’ve got a guy who has great connections, a great name and we’ve shown with the success we’ve had over the last couple years that those kids will travel.”

One of the great connections that Franklin mentions is running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider. Prior to joining the Penn State coaching staff, Seider served as the running backs coach at Florida.

This effort to bring recruits from Florida is being prompted by a lack of homegrown talent for the Nittany Lions. Franklin is searching for talent and Florida has it.

“If you look in the northeast the numbers of high school graduates are going down every single year,” Franklin said. “We’ve got to make sure our net is wide enough that year in and year out we’re going to be able to bring enough talent here to be successful.”

The Nittany Lions already landed a trio of Florida prospects in their most recent recruiting class, including early-enrollee running back Noah Cain.

As Penn State moves into the next recruiting cycle and looks to continue to build on its talent, look for the Nittany Lions to place a large emphasis on the state of Florida and see even more commits roll in from Florida.

A “special” defensive line

Penn State has had some concerns this spring about its depth along the defensive line, especially in the center at the defensive tackle position.

One big positive James Franklin has taken away from spring ball so far is how much farther along the group is than he expected and pointed out players such as Damion Barber, who is “coming on right now.”

But as much as the middle of the defensive line has surprised Franklin, the edge is where Penn State’s strength is going to lie this season.

“The thing I will also say is I think our defensive end group is one of the better defensive end groups in the country,” Franklin said. “In my 24 years, this is the best defensive end group I’ve been around.

“Obviously losing Shareef [Miller] is a big loss but I’m talking from top to bottom our d-end group has a chance to be special.”

Reactions: PoquosonLion
If these young LB's show Franklin they can play do you think he'll move Parson to DE?
We are really deep at DE. I've read that CJF considers this to be the best DE team he's had. If the LBers pan out, I'd play Parsons where he is the best player and build around him. Is he a better DE than LB or the other way around? Either way, kid is going to be the best defensive player we've had in quite some time.

If these young LB's show Franklin they can play do you think he'll move Parson to DE?

As Obli said, here is he Franklin quote:
“The thing I will also say is I think our defensive end group is one of the better defensive end groups in the country,” Franklin said. “In my 24 years, this is the best defensive end group I’ve been around.

“Obviously losing Shareef [Miller] is a big loss but I’m talking from top to bottom our d-end group has a chance to be special.”

So I don't see the value of moving Parsons to DE, especially after he has settled in to be a 100+ tackle Linebacker. Parsons is a big, physical LB, but would be a somewhat undersized, speed DE. To compete against playoff teams, we need a big, fast, physical defense from top to bottom, and able to cover sideline to sideline. Parsons at LB is definitely a great piece to that puzzle.

Obviously, YGM is the stud that leads at DE, and Toney is a pretty well known rush DE talent. But for CJF to gush over the DE's considering that Simmons is still hurt, he must really like what he sees from Joseph, Oweh, Tarburton and Isaac....

I'm hoping Parsons stays at LB, and that CJF and Spencer keep the DE talent coming as well.....

And I believe Parsons' next move will be to the NFL, hopefully to the Steelers as a MLB....

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
I don’t think it would be wise to move your leading tackler to a different position, especially a position as stacked as DE.

It probably has more to do with situational experimenting - 3rd and long might be a good time to give it a shot? Less traffic to get after the QB from DE rather than one of the box LB spots? Parsons and YGM coming from the ends? Sheesh.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/04/penn-state-friday-5-garrett-taylor-talks-lamont-wade-jonathan-sutherland-young-standouts-and-more.html

Penn State Friday 5: Garrett Taylor talks Lamont Wade, Jonathan Sutherland, young standouts, and more
Today 8:30 AM

By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com

Penn State has a few spots to fill on its defensive depth chart, but Garrett Taylor’s safety spot is not one of them.

The 6-foot, 204-pound fifth-year senior was reliable last year, as he finished with 85 tackles, four interceptions, and eight pass breakups during his first season as a full-time starter.

Now, he’s moved in to a leadership role as one of the veteran members of Brent Pry’s unit, which will vie to be one of the nation’s best once the season begins in August.

It will have the chance to be, as a number of strong contributors return to play alongside a group of young faces that those within the program are excited about, but older guys like Taylor will be charged with making sure things go according to plan, especially early as the new guys get their feet wet.

A Richmond, Va., native, Taylor spoke to the media about those topics and others this week, and so he is featured in this week’s Friday five.

On Jonathan Sutherland and Lamont Wade, who are fighting for the other starting safety job:

Garrett Taylor: [Jonathan]'s been looking really good this spring. He’s real physical, he knows his playbook well, and he has a high football IQ, which allows him to play fast. Coach [Tim] Banks has continued to challenge him in man coverage, and he’s embracing that, and he’s taking good steps.

“Lamont’s doing really good. He’s been primarily getting reps at the field but some in the boundary too. I like what I see from him and I think he can only get better.”

It’s likely that one of that pair will win the job come the opener in August, but keep in mind that junior college All-American Jaquan Brisker is waiting for his chance to compete once he arrives early in the summer, as well.

On turning into a leader this spring

GT: "I think for me, I’ve always been a guy whose led by example just in terms of my work ethic and how I approach things. Just this offseason, becoming the main leader in the safety room and one of the guys on defense who is going to have to lead, I’ve tried my best to become a little bit more vocal, whether that’s positive reinforcement or calling a guy out if he isn’t giving his all or coming up short.

“I think that’s the main thing for me, becoming a little bit more vocal and embracing those moments when I have the opportunity to speak up. I think guys are taking to me. We have a lot of guys returning but I am one of the older guys.”

On how the team’s identity has changed since the Citrus Bowl

GT: "Each year, the team’s identity is going to be a little bit different. When you lose guys, you have young guys stepping into new roles, but this team, we have a lot of speed on both sides of the ball. Looking at guys like KJ [Hamler], Jahan [Dotson], Journey [Brown] and Ricky [Slade], and then our defensive coaches are telling us all the time that we’re flying around fast and making plays.

“I think we’re going to be a fast team with a lot of speed on both sides of the all. We’re younger, but I think guys are ready to step into those new roles.”

On how the young defensive backs are performing this spring

GT: "I think so far this spring, Keaton [Ellis], Marquis [Wilson], both have been having really good springs. They come in and not a lot of people knew what to expect, but I think they’ve stepped up and are showing that they can play at this level and compete. They have some things to get done in terms of the playbook, but that comes with time.

Another guy who is getting better every practice is Tyler Rudolph. He got moved to safety and I’ve been trying to take him under my wing in terms of the nuances of safety play, and he’s been taking coaching really well."

On how own growth this spring

GT: "My man thing with this offseason is, I really invested into my body. I think during the season I was a little bit heavier than I needed to be, and I really invested in my diet and putting the right things in my diet to be more explosive and I’ve seen that pay off this spring.

“The main thing for me is, my body’s changed. I’m stronger, faster, and feel better overall. In terms of football-wise, the game has slowed down for me a ton. I think I’m out there anticipating plays instead of reacting.”

Reactions: Mister Magoo
https://victorybellrings.com/2019/04/04/penn-state-football-players-spring/4/

With eight days remaining until the annual Penn State football Blue-White Game, I’ll take a look at three players the fans must watch.
Spring football, specifically the spring game, always provides eternal optimism to the fans of their respective teams. It’s an introduction to rising, young stars that no one has seen play at the collegiate level yet. The spring game is also impossible for anyone’s team to lose and basically a clean slate that everyone can start fresh from. For Penn State football, this spring spelled the end of the Trace McSorley era, that saw a return to success, and the beginning of a new era.

Whether fans were prepared for a change or not, the Nittany Lions are going to look much different this year. A new quarterback and running back headline the spring storylines. Redshirt senior Tommy Stevens is poised to take over, for the moment, while the running back situation features a bottomless depth chart of talent.

Beyond those two storylines, the defense has its fair share of changes. Star defensive end Shareef Miller is headed for the NFL, as is Kevin Givens on the D-Line. While the linebacker corp lost only one player, its storyline is whether this unit takes another step into elite status to bolster the losses on the D-Line and in the secondary.

So now that we’ve gone over some of the offseason headlines, let’s dive into the three players to watch in this year’s Blue-White Spring Game (assuming they all play of course). The spring matchup takes place at 3 p.m. Saturday April 13.

3. Ricky Slade
Try replacing not only a once-in-a-generation talent in Saquon Barkley, but also possible second-to-first round selection in the upcoming draft in Miles Sanders. The two running backs combined for 8,180 all-purpose yards and 67 total touchdowns over the last four seasons – that’s insane. And yet, the Nittany Lions appear well-equipped to replace that production with another loaded backfield led by true sophomore Ricky Slade.

Slade returns as the team’s active leading rusher in the backfield. He compiled 257 yards and six touchdowns, while backing up Sanders in 2018. He provides a burst of speed and straight-line speed that backs can only dream of.

Where Sanders could cut and slice through defenses, Slade will torch them. How he plays in the spring game is important, because he has a chance to show whether he can help fill the shoes along with fellow sophomore Journey Brown.

His speed is not in doubt, but at 5-foot-9, 203 pounds, he will need to show he can carry the load, which he’s already proven some by adding to his frame in the offseason. Should he succeed in the role, it’ll be a huge boost to loaded backfield that’s also trying to usher in a new starting QB.

2. Shaka Toney
Speed, speed and more speed characterize Penn State football’s defensive line. The Nittany Lions fly to the football at every level and that doesn’t exclude the D-Line’s play in the trenches. PSU carries ultra-fast linemen up front, but it lost a couple with NFL departures Shareef Miller and Kevin Givens.

Fear not, rotational defensive end Shaka Toney can fill the void Miller left, and it won’t be a step back either. Toney has played in 25 games in his first two seasons, recording 40 tackles, 13 for loss, 8.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. He’s a speedster off the edge that already proved he’s capable of big plays and monster days on the field.

It’s time to turn those flashes of brilliance into a full season of production. At 6-foot-3, 236 pounds, he’s the definition of an edge rusher that should strike fear into the typically-larger Big Ten offensive lineman. If they can’t get their hands on him, how in the world do they expect to block him.

Looking toward the spring game, he won’t get to sack QBs, as it takes a touch to record the sack. But, he still gets to display his electrifying speed-rushing ability.

1. Micah Parsons
The newest addition to Penn State football’s, “Linebacker U,” Micah Parsons lived up to all the hype in 2018. The bona fide, former five-star linebacker showed he belonged on the big stage in year one.

Despite just starting one game in the 13 contests he appeared in last year, Parsons led the team in tackles with 82. He also made plays, racking up four tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and two forced fumbles, while rushing the passer and patrolling sideline-to-sideline on his way to being named an All-American by multiple media outlets.

Obviously, Parsons is not your atypical, second-year linebacker that started one game. He’s the star of this linebacker group, and he takes over the lone starting hole in the LB corp. Penn State football fans expect him to make an even greater jump from year one to year two, which I have no doubt he’ll do considering his body of work to this point.

The spring will give us a small sample of what he’s capable of in 2019. If his 2018 spring game performance is any indication, where he tied for a game-high in tackles with eight, Penn State fans are in for another show. Also, there’s just an excitement about watching a hyper athlete of Parsons magnitude play on the field.

Not sure how to link from Instagram but there’s film of Parson’s in one on one pass-rushing drills at DE with the rest of the DL. He embarrassed Will Fries at tackle.
I can’t wait for the day when video clips or rumors leak out of practice where our O line is stoning a young stud pass rusher in practice. I think it hasn’t happened since 1994....

Reactions: Tri-Power65
https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2019/4/5/18290872/bsd-blue-white-position-preview-offensive-line-ryan-bates-steven-gonzalez-michal-menet

BSD Blue-White Position Preview: Offensive Line

By bscaff Apr 5, 2019, 7:15am
879191722.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images
These are large, unusually smelly men who sweat a lot and push people around on Saturday afternoons. They do not boast aesthetically pleasing figures. Generally speaking, they won’t wow an average spectator with feats of sheer athleticism. They’re typically only mentioned when they false start, or get flagged for holding. Wholly under-appreciated, they are a vitally important component of any offense. All the ‘skill’ (read: little fast guys) position players matter little without a strong offensive line.

Last year’s line was, in the BSD tradition, often criticized. But as opposed to some seasons, last year’s line mostly earned it. Despite a bevy of returning starts, PSU’s veteran offensive line fell far short of becoming the long anticipated “strength” of the offense. Although the squad posted a fine 5.11 yards per carry on the season, PSU’s offense never broke 4.0 ypc for a single game in the final 6 contests - save Maryland, which isn’t a real contest anyhow. As well, the Sacks Allowed increased each of the prior two seasons, from just 24 in 2016’s 14-game schedule, to 29 in 2017, and up to 31 last season. That’s the wrong direction for progress.

But if you’re one of the constant complainers who didn’t like last year’s OLine, then you’re about to get some great news. This year’s line gets no fewer than three new faces, with the graduation of Chasz Wright, and early entries of Ryan Bates and Connor McGovern to the NFL Draft. Of course, despite the fresh faces, the expectations don’t change: 1) lead the offense; 2) keep the (new) QB clean; 3) clear some running lanes; and 4) remain anonymous while absorbing a seemingly unending river of complaints. For now, let’s try to change that 4th one.

At The Tackles
NO Name POS Year Starz Starts
71 Will Fries OT 4th 0.8761 20
53 Rasheed Walker OT 2nd 0.9676 0
55 Anthony Whigan OT JUCO-JR 0.9034 0
72 Bryce Effner OT 2nd 0.8709 0
75 Des Holmes OT 3rd 0.8488 0

Will Fries looks to take a leap forward in this, his 4th season in blue and white. Will nearly had his redshirt pulled during his true freshman season of 2016, as PSU lost its top 3 offensive tackles during a run to the conference championship. He took 9 starts in 2017, mostly at right tackle. Then he garnered another 11 from the coaching staff last year, beginning on the right side, splitting time with Chasz Wright, before struggles forced the staff the shuffle the line - moving Will to the left side, and Ryan Bates to the right. While 2018 didn’t go exactly as planned for Will, this season presents an opportunity to cement his spot in the lineup - probably back on that right side - and put his name on next year’s NFL draft boards.

Unfortunately, friends, that’s it for our known entities at OT. No one else on the roster logged more than a handful of game snaps. At one point in September 2018, rumors hinted that Rasheed Walker may drop his redshirt and work his way into the lineup - but a disciplinary issue a few days later put an end to those rumors. However, Rasheed’s back running with the 1’s this spring at LT, apparently clear of the doghouse, and hoping to nail down a starting spot.

Behind Will and Sheed, we know even less. Des Holmes is supposedly quite large, and quite nasty, which usually indicates a “RT” positional designation. But it’s only “supposedly”, for now, since we’ve rarely seen him. Anthony Whigan joins the room from Lackawanna CC with two years of eligibility remaining. Bryce Effner will get his first real chance to make his mark in blue and white this summer.

At least one of that troika must break through this summer, and establish himself as a dependable 3rd OT. That 3rd spot is absolutely critical, because it’s been 8 years since PSU put the same two offensive tackles on the field for an entire season (Quinn Barham and Chima Okoli, 2011).

At The Guards
74 Steven Gonzalez OG 5th 0.8911 29
69 CJ Thorpe OG 3rd 0.9584 0
73 Mike Miranda OG 3rd 0.8747 0

April’s NFL Draft should give 5th year senior Steven Gonzalez a real boost. His former linemates Ryan Bates and Connor McGovern will likely get drafted at some point, sign a rookie contract, and get paid some amount of money for wearing shoulder pads and a helmet. Given that Gonzo played at their level last year, Bates’ and particularly McGovern’s signing bonuses ought to provide Gonzo substantial incentive to hone his craft in his final go, and be the veteran leader this 2019 unit needs.

CJ Thorpe successfully transitioned from “supposedly” large and mean, and into “definitely” large and mean. To wit:

OLine Coach Limegrover@CoachLimegrover
All Day, Every Day!!! #OLPride #Mindset
3:25 PM - Sep 10, 2018

But when defensive tackle depth vanished in the middle of the season, CJ switched sides of the ball, and ate blocks instead of delivering them. Coincidentally, this afforded fellow 2nd year guard Mike Miranda a few more snaps on the field last season. Thus, even though Gonzo brings the only returning starts at OG, both CJ and Mike have game experience - and consequently, you should feel optimistic about Guard this season (as well as this OLine’s ability to defend itself in a Calder Way brawl outside the Shandygaff on dollar pitcher night, should the situation arise).

At The Pivot
62 Michal Menet OC 4th 0.9818 12
70 Juice Scruggs OC 2nd 0.9118 0

If you’re looking for a breakthrough player on the OLine, though, you could do worse than Mike Menet. Center is a wholly unique position on offensive line. First, it’s a phone booth, not an island. Second, it’s a phone booth inside a tornado, because everything happens immediately. The DE twists from out of nowhere and directly into your chest at 20mph. The 360lb nose tackle starts every snap about 6 inches from your face. The MLB tries to time his blitz at the very second you’re turning your head. You get the idea. All of it, frankly, is a lot for any first year starter.

Which is precisely why you ought to take a look at Mike Menet for your breakthrough player. He has the pedigree. He has the ability. He has the brains. And now, entering his second season with the 1’s, he has the tacit knowledge that can only be gained by the experience of fighting for your life inside of a phone booth, that’s inside of a tornado.

Of course, if Mike doesn’t make a leap forward, then super freak Juice Scruggs will take his spot. Because Juice also has the pedigree, and the ability, and the brains. That’s how Jimmy Franks rolls with the croots these days.

Next Men Up
UN Caedan Wallace OL 1st 0.9627 0
UN Saleem Wormley OL 1st 0.9027 0
50 Will Knutsson OL 2nd 0.0000 0
59 Kaleb Konigus OL 2nd 0.0000 0
63 Collin De Boef OL 2nd 0.0000 0
Outlook
Offensive line is a have it your way buffet. The optimist gets valid reasons for hope. The pessimist gets valid reasons for panic. And the BSD comment sections will resemble the food fight from Animal House. Prepare accordingly.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/04/penn-state-linebacker-micah-parsons-tabs-four-defenders-for-potential-breakout-seasons-two-tackles-and-two-linebackers.html

Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons tabs four defenders for potential breakout seasons: Two tackles and two linebackers
Updated 8:11 AM; Today 8:00 AM
JJ6YC3SCRVDHJFYWL4M66PSAVQ.jpg

Penn State defensive tackle PJ Mustipher stops Wisconsin running back Garrett Groshek before he can reach the first down during the fourth quarter on Nov. 10, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Who are Penn State’s breakout players in 2019? There are a few obvious choices, starting with veteran linebackers Cam Brown and Jan Johnson, cornerback Tariq Castro-Fields and safety Garrett Taylor on defense.

The offensive guys generating some buzz at this time are running back Journey Brown and wide receiver Jahan Dotson. And let’s not forget about guard Mike Miranda, the favorite to replace Connor McGovern at guard.

But let’s go a little deeper. Who are the Nittany Lions poised to make an impact, even though no one’s talking about them now?

We put the question to one of 2018’s true breakout Penn State guys, sophomore outside linebacker Micah Parsons. To be fair, we only asked him about defenders. And the Harrisburg High School grad was quick to respond with four names:

Second-year defensive tackle PJ Mustipher.

Third-year defensive tackle Damion Barber.

And second-year linebackers Jesse Luketa and Charlie Katshir.

Parsons, the 6-3, 243-pounder who led Penn State in tackles with 83 last season, was quick to mention Mustipher. He also made it clear that he didn’t pick Barber, a fellow Harrisburg High grad, because the two are good friends.

Mustipher, listed at 6-4, 300, could push to start after playing a key reserve role last fall.

“PJ Mustipher, he’s going to be an animal for us,’’ Parsons told PennLive during a one-on-one sitdown earlier this week.

Mustipher was credited with 14 tackles in 12 games. PSU is replacing starting 3-technique Kevin Givens but returns Robert Windsor at nose tackle. Antonio Shelton is another name to remember in the tackle rotation, as is Barber and redshirt freshman Judge Culpepper.

Penn State linebackers Jesse Luketa and Micah Parsons celebrate their 30-24 win over Iowa on Oct. 27, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
The 6-3 Barber has added significant weight since his high school days. Penn State lists him at 287 pounds.

“Damion’s really stepping up, improving, he’s making a lot of noise,’’ Parsons said.

“(He’s) coming up on film a lot, being very disruptive. He’s clicking here in the program.’’

Parsons added: “Damion’s definitely way more focused, he’s definitely built his talent level. You guys probably already know his talent level.

“It just had to click for him and now that it’s clicking, Damion, he’s just making strides that we’ve all been waiting for and he’s going to be a good player for us this year.’’

Penn State is expected to start Parsons and senior Cam Brown at the outside linebacker spots and continue to lean on fifth-year senior Jan Johnson, a former walk-on, in the middle.

Parsons sees a role on defense for both Luketa and Katshir, the latter a Cumberland Valley graduate who is listed at 6-3, 214. Luketa, like Parsons a 2018 January enrollee, played in all 13 games last season but was credited with just seven tackles. Luketa is listed at 6-3, 241.

“It could be either (one of) two linebackers — Charlie Katshir or Jesse Luketa,’’ Parsons said.

“Those guys are really showing up on film. Me and Jesse are splitting reps right now. Obviously, everybody knows he’s my friend but he’s definitely going to be a disruptive player this year and definitely going to be in our two-deep.’’

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/04/penn-states-micah-parsons-and-jayson-oweh-continue-to-chase-greatness-on-and-off-the-field-but-who-is-faster.html

Penn State’s Micah Parsons and Jayson Oweh continue to chase greatness on and off the field … but who is faster?
Today 10:00 AM
24E72CR72BAUXCZLYPIFODRRDM.JPG

Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons acknowledges the crowd as the 2018 recruiting class is announced before the Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium on April 21, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com HAR

Five is the magic number in college football recruiting.

The more five-star recruits a program can consistently bring in, the more likely that program will contend for a conference championship and possible a spot in the national college playoff. Five-stars are as good as it gets.

Penn State coach James Franklin’s recent recruiting efforts have closed the gap between the Nittany Lions and the Big Ten East’s Big Two, Ohio State and Michigan. And PSU’s 2018 class was led by a trio of five-star recruits — wideout Justin Shorter, running back Ricky Slade and linebacker Micah Parsons.

Parsons, a Harrisburg High grad, led Penn State in tackles last season with 83. Shorter and Slade are expected to assume bigger roles in the offense this fall.

And early indications are that a few of the 2018 class’s four-star players will play like five-stars by the time they are done in State College. One is redshirt freshman defensive end Jayson Oweh, a 6-5, 250-pounder who possesses the program’s top combination of speed and size.

Oweh’s time was limited in 2018 but he did register a two-sack game against Kent State at Beaver Stadium.

The attention Oweh has received for running a 4.45 40-yard dash and a producing a 355-pound clean and press has not been lost on Parsons, who is also a physical freak.

“Jayson’s gotta chance. As a strength-speed athlete, which is great for me, but also to really transfer it to the field and do something special on the field,’’ Penn State strength and conditioning coach Dwight Galt said in late February.

“He’s a guy who’s been here now for nine months. He came in at 228 pounds and he’s almost 260 right now. He just continues to not rely on his natural ability, which is huge for me. When you have 35 years now (of coaching), I’ve seen too many guys who have done that. He continues to really want to be all you can be.’’

Penn State defensive end Jayson Oweh squats during winter workouts on Feb. 28, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
Parsons and Oweh have been competing against each other throughout the last year and there is some question as to who is faster.

“The Oweh-Parsons’ thing kind of went viral a little bit on the social media,’’ Galt said.

But the 6-3, 243-pound Parsons came clean a few days ago. His best 40 time is 4.52, at least until he attempts to better it when he runs again later this spring.

Oweh is already a member of The 4.4 Club.

“I’m not even going to lie to you guys, Jayson is a fast player,’’ Parsons told PennLive last Tuesday.

“We’re fast at different things. I’m more fast (at) get-off, 10-20 yards, I can beat him at that. But if we go the distance (40 yards), I think Jayson could get me. … I think Jayson could get me in the 40.’’

Parsons, easily one of the team’s most competitive players, is determined to take a hard run at Oweh’s 4.4 time.

“I want to be 4.4 guy this year, that’s my goal,’’ Parsons said.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2019/4/6/18292397/penn-state-nittany-lions-football-2019-special-teams-preview-blake-gillikin-jake-pinegar

BSD Blue-White Position Preview: Special Teams

After a rough season, there’s reason to believe Penn State’s special teams units are ready to return to form.
By Jared Slanina Apr 6, 2019, 8:33am EDTSHARE
1060047788.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images
Before we even get into the individual special teams areas, the key change in 2019 will start at the top. Phil Galiano is no longer with Penn State, after a season that saw the special teams units decline nearly across the board. Unfortunately, a steady stream of special teams miscues never ceased throughout the season.

Hopefully, that is set to change in 2019 with the hire of new special teams coach, Joe Lorig, formerly of Memphis and Texas Tech (although he never coached a game at the latter after being hired by Penn State in the same offseason he took the Red Raiders job).

During his tenure with Memphis, his special teams units regularly ranked at or near the top of AAC statistical categories, and his punt and kickoff never allowed a return touchdown. As Patrick noted earlier, this would be considered “lit.”

Here’s what Lorig will have to work with in his first season in Happy Valley:

Kicker
Jake Pinegar returns as the team’s starting placekicker, following a true freshman campaign that got off to a rocky start before beginning to excel at the midpoint of the season. Pinegar was only four of eight after the first six games of 2018, with the staff often opting to roll the dice or try to pin the offense back with a short punt rather than attempting a field goal beyond 40 yards.

However, things would begin to change for Pinegar against Indiana in week eight, as he drilled both of his attempts. He truly turned the corner the following week by nailing all three attempts- each beyond 40 yards- on a wet field against Iowa. Each field goal became crucially important as the team held out for a 30-24 victory that wasn’t determined until the final play of the game. After that, Pinegar would connect on seven of nine attempts the remainder of the season, with both misses coming in swirling winds against Wisconsin. He finished the season by hitting 16 of 24 field goals, while connecting on 53 of 55 extra point attempts.

Kickoff Specialist
Rafael Checa won the starting kickoff specialist spot as a true freshman from the start of 2018, and never looked back. Checa’s booming leg instantly proved valuable to the kickoff unit, as he regularly reached the end zone to eliminate the option of a return. Nearly half of his kickoffs (47%) resulted in touchbacks. He also channeled his inner Joey Julius by collecting two tackles on kickoff coverage as well. One key area for improvement for Checa leading up to 2019 will be to reduce the number of kickoffs that went out of bounds, as he had six in his freshman season.

Punter
Blake Gillikin returns for his senior season, looking to cement his legacy as Penn State’s all-time best punter. While the special teams often struggled throughout 2018, Gillikin was a complete force and the one consistent bright spot. He broke a 37 year old school record with a 44-yard punt average on the season. He also overtook Jeremy Boone for the best all-time average of 43.3 yards and blasted three punts for 70 yards or more. Gillikin also pulled double-duty as the team’s holder.

In his final season at Penn State, Gillikin should enter the season as a Ray Guy Award candidate with an eye on the NFL in 2020.

Returners
Let’s start out with the obvious- one of the most electric Nittany Lions in recent memory is set to return kickoffs again in 2019. While Hamler may not come off the field much on offense, it’s hard to imagine the staff not using him as the primary kick returner yet again. Hamler has the ability to turn any return into a long gain, regardless of the coverage in front of him. With one decisive cut, Hamler has the ability to outrace the coverage team all the way to the end zone, or at least allow the offense to start the possession in field goal range.

Journey Brown is likely candidate to help with kick returner duties, as he is one of the fastest players on the roster, and will have limited carries in a crowded backfield.

Penn State will have a new face at punt returner as DeAndre Thompkins has exhausted his eligibility. Thompkins was a dangerous return man with outstanding speed and vision, and will not be easy to replace. However, Penn State has several speedy athletes and should be able to find someone ready to step into the role.

Hamler has the most experience as a punt returner, with 14 returns. However, it may be deemed too much to have Hamler take on both while also being a (the?) focal point of the offense. Fellow wide receiver Jahan Dotson may also get a look. The true sophomore proved to be one of the most sure-handed members of the team, and would be an excellent option while returning punts when backed up near the goalline.

John Reid is an experienced and effective punt returner, but has not held this duty after missing the 2017 season with a knee injury. He did not have a punt return attempt after returning in 2018.

We’ll likely need to wait until closer to the start of the season to get a clearer picture of the return game with no real live special teams action during the Blue-White Game.

Long-Snapper
Penn State will be breaking in a new long snapper to replace Kyle Vasey, who held the position the last two seasons. However, it looks like the long snapper position will stay in the family, with Kyle’s younger brother, Dan Vasey, likely to step into the starting role. The younger Vasey has not seen any game action yet, but will have three years of eligibility remaining. Vasey is also listed as a defensive lineman, and is the only long snapper currently listed on the roster.

Reactions: TheGLOV
https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Penn-State-picks-up-grad-transfer-wideout-130956886

Ten Nittany Lions with the most to gain in spring ball
BySEAN FITZ 5 hours ago

Penn State will wrap up its spring practice on Saturday with the annual Blue-White Game, but that will just be one of 15 chances to impress the coaches during spring ball. The Nittany Lions entered spring with position battles at several spots, including running back, along the offensive line, wide receiver, defensive end and safety. It’s tough to declare winners at most of those spots at this point, as many will rage on into preseason camp.

Today we take a look a 10 Nittany Lions who have the most to gain from the spring semester, from upperclassmen competing for open jobs to young guys pushing for time.

QUARTERBACK SEAN CLIFFORD
Projected starter Tommy Stevens has been limited throughout the offseason and into the spring and Clifford has been the guy who has benefitted from the added reps. The redshirt sophomore was good in spot mop-up duty last season, but this spring he’s had the opportunity to run the first team on a regular basis. The job still seems like it is Stevens’ to lose in the fall, but Clifford has earned the right to have a say in things with a good spring. At the very least, he’s put his name at the top of the list as Stevens’ eventual successor.

RUNNING BACK JOURNEY BROWN
Brown came into the spring with some buzz after a strong offseason. Ricky Slade looked to be the heir apparent to Miles Sanders, but so far in camp it’s been a split workload between the two. Brown has, as running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider said on Wednesday night, the ability to change the game with his elite speed. He’s come along in other areas and, perhaps most importantly, has been able to make strides off the field which have expedited his on-field growth. It shouldn’t take long for Brown to surpass his 2018 production, in which he carried just eight times for 44 yards and a touchdown.

WIDE RECEIVER JUSTIN SHORTER
The staff is still waiting for Shorter to establish himself as the five-star talent that arrived last summer, but an injury in camp in August impeded his progress. He started to come on at the end of the season and played in three of the year’s final four games, preserving a redshirt. He caught two passes for 17 yards in the Citrus Bowl and entered spring practice with high hopes as the Nittany Lions completely revamped the position. He’s been battling classmate Daniel George on the outside and each have a chance to impress before four new wideouts join the room this summer. Shorter could have the inside track to starting alongside KJ Hamler and Jahan Dotson in the fall.

OFFENSIVE GUARDS MIKE MIRANDA AND CJ THORPE
It’s tough to list one without the other, as both redshirt sophomores are battling for the open right guard spot vacated by Connor McGovern’s early departure. It’s almost certain that both will play in the fall, but the spring has been all about competition as each tries to get a leg up and be the first guy. Thorpe transitioned back from defensive tackle in the offseason and Miranda played well when called upon late in the season when Michal Menet went on the shelf for the Maryland game. This one is almost too close to call at this point.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE ANTHONY WHIGAN
The Junior College transfer was in for a new experience this spring, as he jumped to the Division I level straight from Lackawanna in January. Whigan will need some more time under Dwight Galt to catch up in the weight room, but he has impressed with his feet and movement in the offseason. He has been slotted as the second team right tackle behind Will Fries this spring and he has been fundamentally sound thus far. His summer work will potentially be more important than his spring as he continues to catch up in the strength department.

DEFENSIVE END SHAKA TONEY
The spring was expected to be a battle between Toney and redshirt junior Shane Simmons, but an injury has Simmons on the shelf for spring ball and Toney has made the most of his opportunity. He’s earned praise from coaches and teammates as he continues to develop. Toney has been a constant on the first team opposite Yetur Gross-Matos and the pair has been a handful for the Nittany Lions’ offensive tackles. Toney has solidified himself as the favorite to win the job in the fall.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE DAMION BARBER
The Nittany Lions are pretty certain what they have in Robert Windsor, Antonio Shelton and PJ Mustipher at defensive tackle, but after that it’s a spot ripe for opportunity. Fred Hansard, who missed the second half of the season after a brutal leg injury, has taken it easy this spring which has opened things up for Barber and redshirt freshman Judge Culpepper. Both have earned praise from James Franklin, among others. The fourth spot remains up for grabs and each has an opportunity to push Hansard in the fall. Barber seems to be in the process of turning the corner as he is learning to play with the 40 pounds he’s added since arriving in August of 2017.

LINEBACKER ELLIS BROOKS
Brooks flashed at the end of the season as he split time with Jan Johnson in the middle. Johnson is back for his senior year and projects as the starter, but Brooks should once again see plenty of time in the rotation. He played in 13 games last year and finished with 30 tackles in limited action. His time-to-production ratio was pretty good. An offseason spent getting stronger to play in traffic should benefit him greatly.

CORNERBACK TRENT GORDON
When Zech McPhearson hit the portal this offseason, it left a spot on the two deep for someone to step and and claim the fourth corner job. Starters John Reid and Tariq Castro-Fields are pretty well set in stone, and Donovan Johnson will likely assume the nickel spot, leaving redshirt freshman Trent Gordon to battle with sophomore DJ Brown and January enrollees Keaton Ellis and Marquis Wilson. Gordon is a steady player who can play inside and out. He played in four games last season, preserving his redshirt. The battle for the fourth spot should rage on into preseason camp.

SAFETY LAMONT WADE
The safety spot opposite Garrett Taylor was wide open coming into the spring, but it seems that Wade has gotten a leg up on the competition over the last month. The true junior was in and out of the transfer portal in the offseason but came back for the opportunity to win a job. The safety two-deep still seems to be a work in progress ahead of the arrival of Jaquan Brisker in May, but Wade has an opportunity to solidify his standing heading into the summer. Jonathan Sutherland and John Petrishen have also been in the mix in the back two.

https://victorybellrings.com/2019/04/07/penn-state-2019-early-position-preview-running-back/

Penn State 2019 Early Position Preview: Running Back

by Barry Leonard Jr.9 hours ago Follow @barryleonardjr

Who will lead the Penn State backfield in 2019?

Penn State head coach James Franklin has had the luxury of being set at the running back position over the past few seasons. However, with the departures of Saquon Barkley after the 2017 season, and Miles Sanders after the 2018 season, the Nittany Lions will have some new faces in the backfield this year.

Sanders took over as the lead runner last year and decided to leave school early after a productive season. His departure opens the door for last year’s backup, Ricky Slade.

Slade, a five-star recruit and the best running back in the 2018 recruiting class, should enter 2019 as the de facto starter. He carried the ball 45 times in his reserve role for 257 yards and six touchdowns. His best game of the year game against Illinois when he ran for 94 yards and two touchdowns.

While Slade will begin the year as the starter, there are a few guys behind him who will push for playing time.

One such player is Journey Brown. He had a limited role as a redshirt freshman last year (eight carries 44 yards and a touchdown, but is a unique weapon for the coaching staff. He has blazing speed and the potential to make big plays anytime he touches the ball. Brown, who once scored 10 touchdowns in a high school game, could be used in several different sets this season.

Also in the fold this year will be Notre Dame transfer C.J. Holmes, who is now eligible after sitting out last year. Holmes was a four-star recruit in the class of 2017, but never really got a chance to make an impact with the Irish.

Joining Holmes as a brand new face in the backfield is true freshman Noah Cain. He enrolled in school early and has been able to participate in spring workouts. Fellow true freshman Devyn Ford will arrive this summer.

Although the depth chart is not fully set yet, the coaching staff will have several options when it comes to the running back position at Penn State in 2019.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/LongFormArticle/Penn-State-James-Franklin-raves-defensive-ends-Yetur-Gross-Matos-Shaka-Toney-Jayson-Oweh-130991299/#130991299_9

Franklin's raving about his D-End group. We let you know why
ByMARK BRENNAN 6 hours ago

Penn State coach James Franklin made a pretty bold statement following a recent spring practice session. About 10 minutes after reporters saw defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos have a textbook strip sack that led to a fumble recovery by fellow DE Shaka Toney, Franklin said the Nittany Lions are more loaded at D-end than any team he’s been with in nearly a quarter of a century as a coach.

This despite the fact that 2018 starter Shareef Miller — who got the first-team nod in every game and finished second on the squad in tackles for loss (15) and sacks (7.5) in 2018 — made an early exit to the NFL.

“Our defensive end group is one of the better defensive end groups in the country,” Franklin said. “In my 24 years (of coaching), this is the best D-end group that I’ve been around. Obviously, losing Shareef is a big loss. But I’m talking from top to bottom, our D-end group I think has a chance to be special.

“Last year, I think we led the nation in sacks,” he added. “You look over a three-year period, I think we’ve had as many sacks as anybody. I think that number will continue to trend up.”

Penn State’s 3.62 sacks per game were, in fact, tops in the nation in 2018. Gross-Matos led the team with eight. All told, defensive ends accounted for half of the team’s QB drops.

Here is a look at the nine defensive ends who will be on scholarship for the Nittany Lions next season, in order of experience:

YETUR GROSS-MATOS, JUNIOR
8771383.jpg

(Photo: Steve Manuel)
If you see a 2020 NFL mock draft that DOES NOT include Yetur Gross-Matos as a first-round pick — and they are out there — disregard it. If he stays healthy, the 6-foot-5, 265-pounder stands to make a lot of money with an early exit to the NFL. Consider that as a true sophomore and first-time starter last season, he logged team highs of 20 tackles for loss and eight sacks. He won first-team All-Big Ten notice. Also consider that he has been clocked at 4.66 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Gross-Matos has very long arms and wears size 18 shoes. He is athletic enough to beat offensive tackles with a speed rush and physical enough to slide inside to play some defensive tackle in obvious passing situations.

SHAKA TONEY, RS-JUNIOR
8754683.jpg

With Miller moving on, that opened up a starting position. And by all indications, Shaka Toney has seized it this spring. Where he once struggled to keep weight on his 6-3 frame, he is now solidly in the 235-pound range. There have never been any questions about his athletic ability, which has made him a dangerous pass rusher to this point of his career (14 TFLs, nine sacks). But he’s gotten better and better against the run. He reportedly is emerging as one of the real leaders among the D-ends, too. With the attention Gross-Matos is sure to receive from opponents, don’t be at all surprised if Toney delivers a big-time 2019 season.

SHANE SIMMONS, RS-JUNIOR
9119389.jpg

(Photo: Mark Brennan-FOS/247)
Everyone is still waiting to see how good Shane Simmons can be if he can just get fully healthy. After playing in all 13 games as a redshirt freshman in 2017 — making 15 tackles and an impressive 4.5 tackles for loss — he was limited to eight games due to injury last season. He never seemed to find his groove, finishing with only nine tackles. This spring, he has been seriously limited at practice, presumably because he is banged up. Simmons is an impressive athlete, holding the D-line record for the NFL shuttle (4.11 seconds). That is saying something given the speed and quickness of other players in the room.

DANIEL JOSEPH, RS-JUNIOR
8662306.jpg

(Photo: Sean Fitz, 247Sports)
Daniel Joseph is another terrific athlete who — unfortunately for him — has been kind of stuck behind men with freaky physical skills. He played in all 13 games last season, making 12 tackles and recovering a fumble. He has 3.5 career sacks, so he knows how to get to the quarterback. Improving against the run is likely his focus this spring and beyond. Bringing an athlete of this caliber off the bench is a real bonus and speaks to the depth at the position.

JAYSON OWEH, RS-FRESHMAN
8665759.jpg

Jayson Oweh is a former high school basketball standout who may be the most impressive pure athlete in the program. He holds the defensive line record for the 40-yard dash (4.45 seconds) and has broad jumped more than 10 feet. He now carries more than 250 pounds on his 6-5 frame, and everyone in Lasch Building seems to agree that it is only a matter of time until he picks up the football instincts that will make him a dominant pass rusher. He only played in four games last season — thus maintaining his redshirt — but showed a glimpse of his potential with two sacks and a QB hurry in the win over Kent State.

NICK TARBURTON, RS-FRESHMAN
8650647.jpg

Nick Tarburton (46 above) was a high school linebacker who always appeared to have the frame of a college defensive end. Not surprisingly, Penn State moved him to the line during spring practice of his true freshman year (he was an early enrollee). He now carries 260 pounds on his 6-3 frame. While not possessing the level of athleticism of some of the players listed above, he is a natural football player who easily made the transition from LB to DE. He was named scout team player of the week twice last season, and saw action in four games but did not register any tackles.

ADISA ISAAC, FRESHMAN (EARLY ENROLLEE)
9110802.jpg

(Photo: Mark Brennan-FOS/247)
The 6-4, Adisa Isaac played at 220 pounds in high school. But — after enrolling at PSU in January — was already up to 232 by the time spring ball kicked off. Another former basketball player, he has the athletic ability needed to make an immediate impact at Penn State. Going through spring practice is a huge bonus, and we’ve already seen him getting second-team reps (which is big considering the talent at the position). The key now is getting bigger and stronger.

SMITH VILBERT, FRESHMAN (SUMMER ENROLLEE)
8818608.jpg

(Photo: Brian Dohn, 247Sports)
Smith Vilbert is a 6-6, 250-pounder who is an outstanding all-around athlete. He is yet another former basketball player who wisely opted to focus on football later in his high school career and it paid off as he became heavily recruited by major-college football powers. He hails from one of the better programs in New Jersey (St. Joseph Regional in Montvale) so he is familiar with facing top competition. Expect him to redshirt this year, though.

JOSEPH DARKWA, FRESHMAN (SUMMER ENROLLEE)
8925166.jpg

Joseph Darkwa (Photo: Hudl)
Joseph Darkwa is a 6-5, 270-pounder who played club football in Germany. He is athletically gifted but obviously extremely raw and is a sure bet to redshirt. It will not be at all surprising if he ends up playing defensive tackle at Penn State, because his frame looks as if it can carry even more weight. But expect pass-rushing to eventually be one of his strengths, whether he is doing it from the edge or a three-technique spot.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2019/4/8/18293527/penn-state-football-blue-white-position-preview-2019-defensive-tackles-robert-windsor-pj-mustipher

BSD Blue White Position Preview 2019: Defensive Tackles
By bscaff Apr 8, 2019, 7:16am EDTSHARE
1052639034.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images
What a difference. Penn State began the 2018 season with nothing but question marks in the middle of its defense. Our Lions needed to replace its top three defensive tackles (Parker Cothren, Curtis Cothran, and Tyrell Chavis), as well as its MLB (Cabinda) and the best Hero of the past decade, Chico Hendrix. That’s a lot of new faces up the gut.

Predictably, the defense was a bit shaky at the start. But by the end of the season, PSU’s starting front four had piled up 53.5 tackles for loss - more than any other PSU front four from the past decade.

Key to that push was #54, Robert Windsor. Bob from Fond du Lac, WI settled into his starting role in the first few weeks, got the hang of things, and then he exploded. Not literally, but figuratively. He first wrecked house against Iowa, completely reversing his defense’s trend from the prior week against Indiana. And then, facing his home state Badgers and their Sports Illustrated coverboy linemen, Bob annihilated them, to the tune of 6 stops, 2 sacks, and a Big Ten DPOW honor. By season’s end, the kid from Fond du Lac - who was under-recruited by the local B1G West squads, and was a late addition to the bottom of Head Bald Coach Jimmy Franks’ 2015 recruiting class, playing in a conference stuffed with big name “talent” - that kid made the Associated Press’ 2nd team All Conference squad. His 11.5 TFLs was the best of any (primarily) 1-technique defensive tackle in the last decade of PSU defenses, with the exception of Austin Johnson’s 2015 superhero amazeballs display (15).

Brent Pry has a much better sense for what the middle of his 2019 defense can give him. What a difference from last season.

The First Line
NO Name POS WT Year Starz Games
54 Robert Windsor DT 289 5th 0.8453 39
93 PJ Mustipher DT 300 2nd 0.9613 12
Physically, PJ Mustipher has everything you’re looking for in a DT. He’s large. He’s skrong like bull. He understands leverage (thanks, wrestling). He’s nimble, within context. And last year he took a ton of true freshmen snaps, learning the ropes. Assuming he has his head screwed on right - and there’s no reason to think otherwise - expect big things this season from PJ.

The Second Line
55 Antonio Shelton DT 308 4th 0.8284 19
53 Fred Hansard DT 309 3rd 0.9195 6
Fred Hansard was another of the young pups thrown into the early season fire last year out of necessity. He survived, and was just starting to get things figured out when his knee got blow’d up. Once Fred knocks the rust off, he’ll make a great impersonation of a tree stump in the middle of our defense.

If you’re looking for a fun kid to watch, you could do a lot worse than to set your eyes on #55 Antonio Shelton. Shelton has only one effort setting on his dial - 11. He’s the kind of kid you have to kill to get him to stop chasing the bootball. He also flashes some quickness off the snap. But if that’s not enough to get you to like him, then this will: he hates Ohio State. Hates their guts and livers, and he plays like it. Kid is downright lovable.

More Wild Dogs
42 Ellison Jordan DT 291 4th 0.9251 10
90 Damion Barber DT 287 3rd 0.8958 3
58 Evan Presta DT 286 3rd 0.0000 1
27 Aeneas Hawkins DT 274 2nd 0.8824 0
88 Judge Culpepper DT 286 2nd 0.8871 0
UN D'Von Ellies DT 1st 0.9027 0
UN Joseph Darkwa DT 1st 0.8559 0
You’ve Come A Long Way, Baby
The 2013 PSU defense featured exactly one upperclassman defensive tackle, DaQuan Jones. And DaQuan played 2013 with only one arm the last seven weeks of the season, thanks to an unreported shoulder injury. His starting linemate, at NT, was converted DE Kyle Baublitz.

Their immediate backups were two freshmen. One was Austin Johnson, who was not yet that Austin Johnson, but rather was 0-game snaps Austin Johnson. The other backup was soon to become offensive guard/center Brian Gaia.

The only other defensive tackle on the entire roster - thee only one - was (yet another) converted defensive end and former walk on Tyrone Smith, who wore #88.

By contrast, and despite a litany of woulda-coulda-shoulda DT recruiting tales the last half decade, 2019 PSU’s 5th defensive tackle will not only be an actual defensive tackle, but will likely be a 4-starz type of croot. With prior game experience. The 6th DT - which didn’t exist in 2013 - might also be that kind of player.

What a freaking difference.

Outlook
Get excited. The DTs (and really, the entire DL) is gon’ be good.

https://www.dailyitem.com/sports/stevens-limited-in-pursuit-of-penn-state-qb-job/article_5722383c-94a0-5aca-854f-3a477a481ef1.html

Stevens limited in pursuit of Penn State QB job
  • By Cooper Deck CNHI Pa. Sports
  • 18 hrs ago

Penn State quarterbacks Will Levis (7) and Tommy Stevens (2) throw football to get loose on the first day of spring practice, March 13, in State College.
  • Associated Press file photo

Penn State quarterback Tommy Stevens rushes for a touchdown in the first half of a game against Maryland in College Park, Md., on Nov. 25, 2017. Stevens is in line to fill the Nittany Lions’ quarterback role.
  • Associated Press file photo
STATE COLLEGE — Tommy Stevens never missed a game or practice in high school, and only missed one game at Penn State before last season. However, a persistent foot injury has limited his chance to solidify himself as Penn State’s starting quarterback heading into the 2019 campaign.

“It is tough. Obviously, I want to be doing everything,” Stevens said. “With the exception of the spring game, there’s no games in April. It’s all about being healthy for the season.”

Stevens found himself in a very similar situation last spring, as he watched from the sideline in a mobile scooter. He was also seen wearing a walking boot in August just before the start of the season, as well.

While Stevens is not taking full practice repetitions at this point, he is much farther along than last year. Stevens said his reps have steadily increased along with his recovery from foot surgery toward the end of the 2018 season.

The first test Stevens has coming off this injury is the Blue-White game. Penn State football’s annual spring scrimmage is set for 3 p.m. Saturday at Beaver Stadium.

Stevens said he had the option to have surgery before the 2018 season began, but he decided to push through the pain. This led to him missing the first four games last fall.

Stevens said he now feels like a new and improved version of himself, although under a reduced workload in practice.

“I feel really good right now,” Stevens said. “It’s just a lot of limitation to make sure that things are done the right way.”

The Indianapolis native has waited for this opportunity for three years, as he sat behind Trace McSorley thus far in his Penn State career. While Stevens was second to McSorley for three years, the disparity between the two may not be as drastic as some think.

“When we grade those things like completion percentage, touchdown to interception ratio (and) in terms of red zone efficiency and things like that, he was as good or better in some of those categories with Trace,” Penn State coach James Franklin said.

‘Like a point guard’

Stevens did see some time last year, as he appeared in seven games, but he took snaps from under center in only four. He was able to piece together two touchdowns and 118 rushing yards, which was a step back from his six-touchdown, 190-yard rushing season in 2017.

Despite regressing in his junior year, Stevens is still the frontrunner to fill McSorley’s shoes.

“I’m excited to play the position that I was committed here for but, at the same time, I’m thankful that I was given other opportunities in the past to play other positions and get on the field,” Stevens said.

By no means is Stevens normal when it comes to his size and athleticism at the position. He is the epitome of a dual-threat quarterback, while also showcasing the frame of a tight end at 6-foot-5, 230 pounds.

“The thing that Tommy always had is he’s as gifted physically as any quarterback I’ve ever been around,” Franklin said.

Athleticism helps at any position, but the Franklin says the intangibles are what separate Stevens from other quarterbacks.

“I’ve always said that there’s different types of quarterbacks,” Franklin said. “There’s quarterbacks that can memorize their progression, and then there’s guys that spatially just can see the field and feel the field, almost like a point guard.

“(He’s) got a natural feel for width and depth and those types of things. Tommy has that, he really does.”

This combination has left Penn State fans excited for what the coming season holds, but also nervous about Stevens’ durability and readiness.

‘He’s so far along’

While there are some doubts surrounding Stevens, his performance has exceeded the coaching staff’s expectations heading into spring practices.

“Being an experienced player, he’s so far along in the offense and defensive recognition,” Franklin said. “His approach and his maturity have been really good in meetings and (he’s) taking notes and asking great questions.”

For those who have been following Stevens throughout his time at Penn State, this cerebral approach is nothing new.

Heading into his senior season, Stevens has attempted fewer than 20 passes each year, his most being 14 in 2017.

He has established himself as a runner, but the biggest question is whether or not he will be able to impact the game through the air.

Despite seeing very little field time during his career at Penn State, Stevens kept to a team-first approach throughout.

“(I was) not really trying to let it be about me and tried to make the team first and do whatever I can for the team,” Stevens said. “(That was) probably the biggest thing that I learned and it really helped me grow.”

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-football-expect-bluewhite-game-to-be-more-than-a-passing-fancy,1479788/

Penn State Football: Expect Blue-White Game to be More Than a Passing Fancy
by Mike Poorman on April 07, 2019 7:00 PM

Click photo for gallery
At least five Penn State quarterbacks will take the stage at 3 p.m. on Saturday in Beaver Stadium.

If history is any indication, they’ll be throwing the football left and right — at least 50 times, and maybe more, with a few TDs to boot.

Speaking of boots, not one of those PSU QBs will be The Lion. Again.

The Lion — as in utilityman and loyalist Tommy Stevens, the blonde-maned and undergrad coed fav hair…er, heir…apparent to Trace McSorley.

For the second consecutive spring, Stevens will sit out the annual scrimmage due to a foot injury. This April, unlike the April of 2018, Stevens is trending on the healthy side, though, after foot surgery. Stevens spent last spring in a walking boot.

He’s been practicing throughout the spring, with some limitations. But it is quite unlikely that he will take the field this Saturday.

Stevens has been part of Penn State football so long that he played his first Blue-White Game back in 2015, when the other two — and only two — Nittany Lion quarterbacks that day were veteran Christian Hackenberg and signalman Billy Fessler. Hackenberg just finished a stint with the defunct AAF, while Fessler is now a grad assistant on Joe Moorhead’s staff at Mississippi State.

Things change. But Thomas Mason Stevens remains.

As a passer, Stevens’ three-game career in Blue-White games from 2015-17 has, statistically, mirrored his career in the regular season at Penn State.

In three Blue-White Games, Stevens has completed 30 of 52 passes for 325 yards, a 57.7 completion percentage, with eight TD passes, four sacks and zero picks. That has fueled his considerable promise. In three regular seasons for Penn State (2016-18), Stevens has been 24 of 41 for 394 yards, with four TD passes and one pick.

NUMBERS COUNT, SIZE MATTERS

Without Stevens on Saturday, a whole host of Penn State quarterbacks will get a look — and an opportunity. How they perform will matter.

Yes, every single toss they make in spring ball is charted — not just for completions, but whether it’s on-target, dropped or to the right receiver. Numbers count.

But, the Blue-White stage is bigger. Size matters.

And while it won’t win or lose the starting job for Sean Clifford, the contest is another notable benchmark that James Franklin and second-year offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne will use in the 11 weeks between the annual scrimmage (Penn State’s 15th and final official spring practice) and the start of summer drills.

That’s a lot of down time, so the BW game tape could get more run inside Lasch than the Zapruder film.

Among the Nittany Lions quarterbacks next Saturday, Clifford (6-foot-2, 218 pounds), who will be a redshirt sophomore in the fall, should get the most run. With Stevens limited in practice this spring, Clifford has been getting the lion’s share — pun intended — of snaps with the first-string Penn State offense. Last year, in his Blue-White debut, Clifford completed 4 of 8 for 58 yards, with a 29-yard TD toss to Mac Hippenhammer (who is spending all of the 2019 spring season with the PSU baseball team).

Redshirt freshman Will Levis will get plenty of playing time on Saturday. He’s been the steady No. 2 QB in live drills throughout the spring and has the arm and size (6-3, 234) — a la Backledge, Collins and Hackenberg — to be a big-time passer.

A pair of early enrollees, Ta’Quan Roberson (5-11, 190) and Michael Johnson Jr. (6-2, 205) should also see plenty of snaps, as will Michael Shuster (6-2, 210), a savvy walk-on redshirt junior who was a big school success at Camp Hill. (And if you are still questioning the utility of early enrollees playing in the spring, defending national champ Clemson used 17 early enrollees in its spring game on Saturday.)

The Penn State quarterbacks will have a whole fleet of fleet — and tender — wide receivers as targets who can use the live reps that playing before #71k in Beaver Stadium provides. The result may be an aerial circus.

SPRING GAME STATS

Here’s a quick snapshot of how Franklin has approached the passing game in his first five spring games at Penn State (including last spring, when Keegan-Michael Key may, or may not, have been calling the plays):

2014 — 27 of 50 for 255 yards; 1 TD, 3 INT, 9 sacks

2015 — 25 of 50 for 255 yards; 1 TD, 1 INT, 6 sacks

2016 — 36 of 50 for 404 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT, 5 sacks

2017 — 34 of 58 for 366 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 6 sacks

2018 — 28 of 45 for 246 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT, 6 sacks

McSorley’s performance in the 2016 Blue-White Game may not have won him the starting job that subsequent August, but it certainly helped make him the clubhouse leader heading into summer drills.

In that 2016 intrasquad scrimmage, McSorley completed 18 of his 19 passes in the first half, with three TD passes, on his way to stellar performance that was a precursor of what was to come. He finished the day with four touchdown passes, and was 23 of 27 for 281 yards, with one pick and only one sack. His scoring passes were to Chris Godwin, Saad Blacknall, Tom Pancoast and DeAndre Thompkins.

In 2017, Stevens shined. He was 17 of 24 for 216 yards, with three TD passes — to Andre Robinson, Juwan Johnson and Brandon Polk — and nary an interception or a sack. That was Stevens’ longest extended duty as a PSU quarterback in a game or game-like conditions since he arrived at Penn State in January of 2015.

THE GRANDDADDY OF ’EM ALL

Even with five quarterbacks slingin’ it on Saturday, they’ll be hard-pressed to match the biggest passing shoot-out in Penn State’s Blue-White game history. I was there in the spring of 1980 to cover the trio of Todd Blackledge, Jeff Hosteler and Frank Rocco go head-to-head-to-head.

It was quite trio, too. Blackledge went on to lead Penn State to a 29-3 record and a national title as a starter then was being picked in the first round of the NFL Draft. Hoss started the first few games of the 1980 season, then transferred to West Virginia — where things turned out OK. He married the coach’s daughter and had a fruitful career, including leading the New York Giants to a Super Bowl title.

And Rocco had big cred, too, coming out of Fox Chapel High School. Penn Staters in the know from those days will tell you that Rocco was so good coming out of high school that fellow Pittsburgh passing phenom, Dan Marino of Central Catholic, picked Pitt over PSU at least in part due to Rocco’s presence.

The three fought it on May 3, 1980 — that was back when Penn State’s academic calendar was on terms, so the school year extended a bit longer. The result was a combined passing line of 38 for 81 for 580 yards, with three interceptions and two TD passes.

It was an offensive bonanza (insert Hoss reference here), as the Nittany Lions ran off 138 plays for 981 yards. There were 48 first downs and 57 rushes for 328 yards, led by sophomore Curt Warner’s 28 carries for 124 yards. Why save him, Joe Paterno had to figure; he had all summer to rest up.

On the day, Blackledge was 14 of 31 for 256 yards, with two picks and TD passes of 57 yards to Tom Wise, who later moved to d-back, and 61 to Gregg Garrity Sr., who later sired another PSU WR. Hostetler was 14 of 26 for 223 yards, with a TD run. Rocco, playing with bruised ribs, was 10 for 24 for 101 yards and a memorable pick.

That interception came on the day’s very first play. Roccio threw an interception right into the hands of an opposing cornerback — his brother Danny.

Now that was some fancy passing.

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-state-football/2019/03/5373/tariq-castro-fields-cornerback-secondary-john-reid

TARIQ CASTRO-FIELDS LOOKING TO BECOME THE NEXT DO-IT-ALL CORNERBACK
Matthew Filipovits on April 9, 2019 at 9:00 am @mattflip42
5373_h.jpg

© Matthew O'Haren-USA TODAY Sports
Email this ArticleShare on RedditShare on TwitterShare on Facebook79

Ahead of the 2017 season, the Nittany Lions were looking at arguably the best cornerback room in program history. Grant Haley and Christian Campbell had established themselves as big-time players, Amani Oruwariye was on the verge of a breakout season, John Reid was blossoming into one of the Big Ten's best defensive backs, and five-star freshman Lamont Wade on his way in. When Reid went down with a season-ending knee injury during spring camp, a glaring hole opened up, it paved the way for Tariq Castro-Fields to crack the rotation as a true freshman.

Castro-Fields took that opportunity to play and made his presence felt from day one. He totaled just 10 tackles, but as the fourth corner, that was never really supposed to be his job. He did log one pick and three pass breakups, the same numbers as Marcus Allen had that season. He showed a lot of promise and gave the staff enough confidence to move Lamont Wade to safety.

With Haley and Campbell's graduation and Wade's aforementioned position change, Castro-Fields was at worst going to be Penn State's third corner last season. While he did ultimately start just three games, Penn State went with three corners a lot. So much so that TCF ended up playing over 60% of the total defensive snaps and just 10 fewer snaps than Reid. Sure, Reid missed some time early in the season, but even when both were available TCF usually played no more than 15 fewer snaps than Reid. When he was on the field, Castro-Fields made a tremendous impact. He was fantastic in run support, putting up 32 tackles, including five for a loss. He also handled an increase in targets well, breaking up seven passes, just one less than Reid.

Now with Oruwariye gone, TCF is an unquestioned starter and on his way to becoming one of the best corners in the conference. The thing that makes him so unique is his ability to tackle in open space. For a corner, he's in the backfield a lot and knows how to take down guys bigger than him.

giphy.gif

Here he is on a corner blitz, bringing down the 6'3/205 Terry Wilson with ease. TCF trusts his instincts, doesn't bite on the fake, and wraps up in the perfect way to bring down a guy who has three inches and twenty pounds on him.

giphy.gif

Castro-Fields fights through a blocker like he's a linebacker on this play. These are the type of plays you can't teach a corner. This is just a desire to play physical and a big reason for those five TFLs a season ago.

But at the end of the day, Tariq Castro-Fields is a cornerback and he will be most relied on in pass defense. Thankfully, that physicality does not go away when he drops back into coverage.

giphy.gif

TCF is on this poor Appalachian State receiver like glue on this play. Castro-Fields gets his hands across the pass catcher's body, leaving next to no chance for this ball to get there cleanly. He also does a great job jamming the receiver, giving Koa Farmer a bit more time to drift over, making the window even smaller. Overall, just a really impressive play.

giphy.gif

I mean what's not to love about this? TCF is on his own in man coverage with a receiver trying to get him to bite. Instead, he stays disciplined and doesn't allow the receiver to get seemingly more than six inches away from him.

If Castro-Fields puts together a big season, there's a chance this could be his last year in Happy Valley. Although he will technically be a first-year starter, he's been preparing for this for the past three seasons. The Nittany Lions' secondary is in a very different position than it was a year ago. There are next to no question marks with John Reid and Garrett Taylor returning and seemingly healthy competition at the other safety spot. Opposite of Reid, one of the best corners in the Big Ten in his own right, Castro-Fields could be the missing link that propels the Penn State secondary to the next level.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/04/penn-state-qa-journey-brown-talks-offseason-gains-and-more-as-hype-builds.html

Penn State Q&A: Journey Brown talks offseason gains and more as hype builds
Today 5:26 AM
TWCWIBYA2NCNNDQKDXIAMT5IQY.jpg

Penn State running back Journey Brown takes the handoff from quarterback Sean Clifford during practice on March 20, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com

Ricky Slade carried 45 times for 262 yards and five scores a year ago.

Journey Brown netted just 44 yards on eight attempts.

It’s part of the reason most Penn State observers assumed that Slade, the sophomore, would have the leg up on the starting running back job at the start of spring practice.

Almost 15 sets of drills later, though, it’s clear that redshirt sophomore Brown, who now wears Slade’s No. 4 while Slade wears No. 3 has earned a spot alongside his teammate on the top line, and position coach Ja’Juan Seider has confirmed as much.

How did things progress to this point?

There was no question that Brown, a former Meadville star and PIAA state record holder in the 100-meter dash, had talent. He set all kinds of records as an all-purpose standout in his high school team’s Wing-T offense but admitted academic issues almost derailed his recruitment.

Brown persevered as a senior, as his classroom work finally matched his on-field production. Penn State offered late in the Class of 2017, and Brown responded with a ‘yes.’

The match was made, but the path to an eventual role with the team was unclear. Could the speedster turn into a running back? If not, would his speed stay as his body grew so that he could be a returner?

Charles Huff, who helped close the deal, left for Mississippi State. Seider then came aboard, and he didn’t just help Miles Sanders continue growing into a likely Day 2 NFL Draft pick. He also molded Slade, and Brown and the rest of the room now tasked with replacing Sanders.

Few could have predicted Brown would be a part of the equation, but through hard work and determination, he is.

Get to know the 5-foot-11, 206-pound back below before Saturday’s Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium closes out spring practice in the question and answer below. Reporter questions (sometimes paraphrased), courtesy of a conference call Tuesday, are in bold, and Brown’s answers are in quotes.

What kind of impact has Seider made?

“Coach Seider’s really helped me a lot. He opened up my eyes with just learning football and understanding it, and always being prepared for the task at hand. Not only does he help us on the field, he helps us just as much off the field. He was always there for me. I buy in, and trust him, so for me, to sit down and listen to him, he teaches me everything I need to know.”

On what he envisions his role being

"We have a lot of talented backs and we all compliment each others games. At this point, it seems like it’s going to be a share the load kind of thing that we have going from a running backs standpoint, but I feel comfortable wherever I fit in to help the team win. I

“I’ll be comfortable and keep doing my best. If that means I’m the starter, if that means I have to come out on third and short, that’s what I’ll do, whatever the team needs.”

How did last year’s work help, even if it was limited?

“It just showed me the game. Now that I have [that experience], I feel like I’m prepared for what to expect, and just kind of be ready for it, and knowing how hard the linebackers hit, or how much faster the game goes, and how to handle it to slow down.”

On how much faster he is playing this spring

“Coach Franklin always tells me to practice being fast without the ball, running without the ball in my hand, and I feel like I’ve gotten a lot faster just with lifting and being smarter.”

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/04/blue-white-game-fans-should-prepare-for-pleasant-weather-traffic-delays.html

Penn State football Blue-White game: Weather, traffic predictions for Saturday

Updated 6:32 AM; Today 5:24 AM
HYBCG3UPHJE6FPNP756WGIQUFA.JPG

Penn State fans enjoy the Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium on April 21, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com HAR
By Sean Sauro | ssauro@pennlive.com

Barring some gusty wind, Penn State football fans heading to Beaver Stadium for the annual Blue-White game can prepare for “pleasant” weather, with warm temperatures and partly sunny skies.

But they may want to leave home a little early, as local traffic experts predict delays due to both ongoing roadwork and the number of fans expected to travel to State College for the Saturday afternoon game.

The Blue-White game is the annual spring scrimmage that caps the 15 dates of football team drills allowed by an NCAA rule.

But according to Matt Steinbugl, a National Weather Service meteorologist, tailgating activities typically begin during the morning hours.

Early Saturday, temperatures should be in the 40s, and expected Friday rain showers likely will have moved out of the area, Steinbugl said.

“It won’t be cold,” he said, adding that football fans in attendance should be comfortable in sweatshirts. “There may be some lingering clouds early in the morning.”

TW6WQAFQYRCHVJP72V2BWAQQRQ.jpg

It's annually the Lions biggest home game of the year.

By the game’s 3 p.m. start, temperatures are likely to reach the mid-60s, with largely cloud-free skies, he said.

“Relatively speaking, it should be overall pleasant,” Steinbugl said.

The National Weather Service forecast for the hours before, during and after the game in State College are listed below:
  • Friday night - Rain showers are expected mainly before 9 p.m., with a low near 48 degrees.
  • Saturday - Partly sunny are expected, with a high near 66 degrees.
  • Saturday Night - A chance of rain is possible after 3 a.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a low near 43 degrees.
While weather will be pleasant, motorists heading to and from the game might want to plan for some roadwork and related delays along the way.

That’s according to PennDOT District 2 spokeswoman Marla Fannin, who shared a list of roadway restrictions expected along the route to Beaver Stadium.

Penn State great Matt Millen set for Blue-White broadcast booth return

Millen had a successful heart transplant just over three months ago.

Those expected restrictions are listed below.
  • The left lane of a bridge along Route 3014/Atherton Street westbound will be closed. The bridge, which spans a portion of I-99, is outside of State College in Patton Township.
  • Continuing cross-over and lane restrictions are to be expected along Route 322 about a mile east of the village of Potters Mills. The restrictions could “lead to delays and back-ups.”
  • Both right and left lane closures will be in effect along Route 322 east and westbound near Burnham (Lewistown) in Mifflin County. “Drivers should expect delays for football traffic,” PennDOT officials said.
In an email, Fannin also pointed out that District 2 officials will be posting about traffic along the route on Twitter. You can see those tweets by clicking this link.

PennDOT’s press office also will be sharing posts about restrictions on their Facebook page, and those posts can be seen by clicking this link.

According to Mike Crochunis, a spokesman with PennDOT District 8, roadways in the Harrisburg area should remain largely free from roadwork delays on Saturday.

The game is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m., but it will not be televised on the Big Ten Network until 8 p.m.

For more traffic information, follow live traffic updates, accident reports and road closures below from PennDOT, Total Traffic Network and other Twitter sources.

Get a look at conditions on local roads — via PennDOT traffic cameras — anytime here on PennLive. For Pennsylvania Turnpike updates and possible travel delays visit the Turnpike website here.

Tweet us at @pennlive with any incidents you see on your commute or send a submission to submissions@pennlive.com.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT