ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice

You know it’s good or bad because you are a coach?
Well, find me a guard at 350lbs who has been successful at PSU? It's not the build that JF wants, being a zone blocking and gap blocking team....Gonzo was slow footed and unathletic last year weighing 25lbs less...so I'm assuming he hasn't gotten any swifter of foot. But if you think weighing that much is the right weight, ok then.

Gonzo is 350lbs according to the Spring updated list....he is filled out, but it sure isn't good weight. Disappointing for an upperclassman IMO.

I'm disappointed by this too, Franklin has made several references in the past about lineman needing to be quick in this offense. I seem to remember gonzo needing to lose weight previously too. I suppose his position is secure, but we have some you guys that could begin developing and playing.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I'm disappointed by this too, Franklin has made several references in the past about lineman needing to be quick in this offense. I seem to remember gonzo needing to lose weight previously too. I suppose his position is secure, but we have some you guys that could begin developing and playing.
You are right...Gonzo was one who needed to lose weight in the past...It's obvious that he either has a digestive problem, or just doesn't take his role seriously. In case Gonzo doesn't realize, that Oline was much maligned last year and got wrecked by any legitimate front they faced...glad to see he has the pride to come in and be in shape. Meanwhile, u look at Micah, from all accounts, he's worked his ass off and is a specimen. Some guys just get it and some dont.

What are everyone's big questions/Iexpectations for spring (and going into the fall in general)? Here are mine:

- Hope to see major improvement at WR, especially wrt CATCHING.

- Lots of exciting, young LB talent on the roster - seemed to be lacking there then gangbusters all of a sudden. Parsons should be improved in year two, and we get to see Luketa (who looked good on ST last year), Ellis (also played very well towards the end of the year), plus the additions of Smith (who I think will play a good bit), Dixon (I think he needs to add a bit of weight but he's going to be a great, speedy asset), and Katshir.

-Interested to see how Safety works out - Wade penned in as starter (as noted in another thread) but need some younger guys to step up.

-Also interested to see the young DEs - Oweh, Isaac, Tarburton, and Beamon. Need to have someone like Simmons step up opposite YGM who had a terrific year last year. Oweh I think is gonna be a beast.

-Can Stevens stay healthy?? I feel like Clifford has been more impressive when given the chance. Stevens is a good, strong runner, but he's gonna need to throw to make the offense work.

- RB should be fun - third starting RB in three years. Slade/Cain/Brown should be fun to watch.

- DT is a concern. Gotta find someone to pair with Windsor. Hope Hansard and/or Mustipher are able to step up.

- OL is a concern with the early departures; seems like that has been the case since 2012. Any cause for optimism?

What are everyone's big questions/Iexpectations for spring (and going into the fall in general)? Here are mine:

- Lots of exciting, young LB talent on the roster - seemed to be lacking there then gangbusters all of a sudden. Parsons should be improved in year two, and we get to see Luketa (who looked good on ST last year), Ellis (also played very well towards the end of the year), plus the additions of Smith (who I think will play a good bit), Dixon (I think he needs to add a bit of weight but he's going to be a great, speedy asset), and Katshir.

-Interested to see how Safety works out - Wade penned in as starter (as noted in another thread) but need some younger guys to step up.

-Also interested to see the young DEs - Oweh, Isaac, Tarburton, and Beamon. Need to have someone like Simmons step up opposite YGM who had a terrific year last year. Oweh I think is gonna be a beast.

-Can Stevens stay healthy?? I feel like Clifford has been more impressive when given the chance. Stevens is a good, strong runner, but he's gonna need to throw to make the offense work.

- RB should be fun - third starting RB in three years. Slade/Cain/Brown should be fun to watch.

- DT is a concern. Gotta find someone to pair with Windsor. Hope Hansard and/or Mustipher are able to step up.

- OL is a concern with the early departures; seems like that has been the case since 2012. Any cause for optimism?

Mine are, and I'll try and put them in order but honestly many are interchangeable.

1.) OL. Its become a broken record with me but I want to see our OL holding its own against equal competition.
JMO but I think this may be a make or break year for Limegrover. He really hasn't done the things I thought he would. Maybe thats on me.

2.) QB. Stevens is said to have "it" I'm not sure how anyone other than the staff knows cause I haven't seen "it" manifest itself in a game yet. He has the "potential" so we'll see. If not I liked what I saw from Clifford.

3.) Special Teams. We need better coverage on the punt returns and punt returns, that also goes for kickoffs.
FG is a big concern for me cause every time I watched Pinnegar kick I was praying. Even his good kicks scare me.

4.) LBR play. We are going to be young but should be better.

5.) DT is a concern. Windsor needs to get his head in the game. Posters were all over Irv Charles for all his stupid penalties but Windsor was good for at least 1 game as well. I liked what I saw from Mustipher but after that...

6.) I hesitate putting this cause it will piss off some but I think the Coaching Staff has to improve. Rahne being #1 but I think Franklin needs to do a better job as well. We've lost too many games late in the game when we've had the lead, with different OC's to be all their fault. I also think some of his TO's during FG's are FUBAR.

Last edited:

Agree...I like that Slade added some weight and is up over 200 lbs. I feel comfortable with every position except for DT. I am hoping we utilize the TE more. I expect offense to be improved this year. I expect the D to improve at LB. My biggest concern is stopping the run.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Mine are, and I'll try and put them in order but honestly many are interchangeable.

1.) OL. Its become a broken record with me but I want to see our OL holding its own against equal competition.
JMO but I think this may be a make or break year for Limegrover. He really hasn't done the things I thought he would. Maybe thats on me.

2.) QB. Stevens is said to have "it" I'm not sure how anyone other than the staff knows cause I haven't seen "it" manifest itself in a game yet. He has the "potential" so we'll see. If not I liked what I saw from Clifford.

3.) Special Teams. We need better coverage on the punt returns and punt returns, that also goes for kickoffs.
FG is a big concern for me cause every time I watched Pinnegar kick I was praying. Even his good kicks scare me.

5.) DT is a concern. Windsor needs to get his head in the game. Posters were all over Irv Charles for all his stupid penalties but Windsor was good for at least 1 game as well. I liked what I saw from Mustipher but after that...

6.) I hesitate putting this cause it will piss off some but I think the Coaching Staff has to improve. Rahne being #1 but I think Franklin needs to do a better job as well. We've lost too many games late in the game when we've had the lead, with different OC's to be all their fault. I also think some of his TO's during FG's are FUBAR.

Boy, your list is my list. Especially #1. And I wholeheartedly agree that this is it for Limegrover. With all the consternation over position coaching last year, he seemed to escape scrutiny. But his unit IMHO is just "ok." And we've recruited too well at that position to just be "ok." For me, if we're just ok again this year (and not even ok against top competition) it will be time for Limegrover to get on with his life's work.

Agree about OL. We haven't been able to consistently get 4 yards and now we lost 2 starters to the NFL.

Not sure about Pinegar. He was a true freshman. Look how Ficken improved.

Agree about coaching staff losing too many games in the final minutes. Franklin seems to call plays "by the book" which is fine but you also need to have a feel for the flow of the game. JMO.

Boy, your list is my list. Especially #1. And I wholeheartedly agree that this is it for Limegrover. With all the consternation over position coaching last year, he seemed to escape scrutiny. But his unit IMHO is just "ok." And we've recruited too well at that position to just be "ok." For me, if we're just ok again this year (and not even ok against top competition) it will be time for Limegrover to get on with his life's work.

+1.

Big year for Rahne. Loses his coach on the field. 2nd year at the helm. Needs to take a big step forward in terms of calling the game. Pace, rhythm, when to dip into the bag of tricks and, maybe more importantly, when NOT to dip into the bag of tricks. Hoping he's up to the challenge.

Agree about OL. We haven't been able to consistently get 4 yards and now we lost 2 starters to the NFL.

Not sure about Pinegar. He was a true freshman. Look how Ficken improved.

Agree about coaching staff losing too many games in the final minutes. Franklin seems to call plays "by the book" which is fine but you also need to have a feel for the flow of the game. JMO.
Pinegar will..................not get better. Kicks low, angles are tougher for him and over 40.........forget about it. Can't believe he wins any fair competition this year with 4 legit challengers.

Reactions: Mixolydian

the OL struggles because of our blocking schemes, until we change them, they will struggle.

the OL struggles because of our blocking schemes, until we change them, they will struggle.
I've heard this several times. What is it about our blocking scheme that people feel is a problem? I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking.

Agree with most of it.

Not sure LBs are that young. MLB starts a 5th year guy backed up by a 3rd year guy. OLB starters are a 4th year senior and our leading tackler from last year.

The staff can be better but I’m not in the camp that every close loss is the fault of the coaches like some people.

Reactions: NJPSU
Big year for Rahne. Loses his coach on the field. 2nd year at the helm. Needs to take a big step forward in terms of calling the game. Pace, rhythm, when to dip into the bag of tricks and, maybe more importantly, when NOT to dip into the bag of tricks. Hoping he's up to the challenge.

Agree totally... I stated before last season started that Rahne would get a pass for the year while he learned/felt his way being a new O.C. Now he needs to produce, through scheme, self scouting, flow of the game, bag of tricks, etc. Too much talent now to lean on he is a new OC, he needs to get this offense up and running.

Always fun to try and project the position battles and depth.

Lots of jobs on the line. Just like last year when Taylor acended to 1st team Safety out of Spring practice, held onto the spot in the Fall, and had a good year for a 1st year starter and is now looked upon as a building block for the secondary..... jobs will be won this Spring.

- Hope to see major improvement at WR, especially wrt CATCHING. Lots of new faces and load of talent. I believe Hamler in the slot is the only job won right now. Sure Dotson started some games, and likely will be in the rotation at least. But on the outside there is loads of talent and I don't discount Shorter and George both potentially being starters on the outside, with Hippenhammer, CSB, or even a walk on such as Chisena (who CJF talked up not too long ago) getting into the rotation. Big, strong and fast, usually beats out just strong and fast, if they all show to be sure handed. Hipp, CSB,.... just a lot of young talent. The transfer coming in for Fall will have his hands full getting in the 2 deep as I count 6 returning scholarship WR's returning with some experience plus the 2 true freshman who I believe both likely redshirt.

- Lots of exciting, young LB talent on the roster - seemed to be lacking there then gangbusters all of a sudden. Parsons should be improved in year two, and we get to see Luketa (who looked good on ST last year), Ellis (also played very well towards the end of the year), plus the additions of Smith (who I think will play a good bit), Dixon (I think he needs to add a bit of weight but he's going to be a great, speedy asset), and Katshir. At LB I see the depth chart maybe a little more pliable going into the Fall. Sure Parsons JJ and Brown look like starters. But as you pointed out, from there the dogfight for playing time between Brooks Luketa, Katshir, Smith and maybe Dixon likely extends right into the 2019 season..... I believe Dixon plays some but redshirts, baring significant injuries. And what about Chizmar, the legacy walk on that I believe passed on some offers to walk on at PSU and who is in his 3rd year in the program?

-Interested to see how Safety works out - Wade penned in as starter (as noted in another thread) but need some younger guys to step up. The depth will be pretty young with just Taylor, Wade and Sutherland having any significant playing experience. But getting Petrishen squarely into the fray will add a mature player into the competition and 2 deep if he is really healthy and ready to contribute. If the staff is satisfied with those 4 players , along with Brisker arriving for Fall practice, then the true freshman players can be more slowly acclimated into the position and redshirt in 2019 - Rudolph and potentially Porter if he ends up at Safety in the Fall. But given how physical and athletic Rudolph looks, the staff may choose to let him play special teams even if the Safety depth looks good. Safety looked like a position of great uncertainty earlier this year, and the jury is obviously still out, but it looks better with Wade returning and CJF making positive comments about Petrishen.

-Also interested to see the young DEs - Oweh, Isaac, Tarburton, and Beamon. Need to have someone like Simmons step up opposite YGM who had a terrific year last year. Oweh I think is gonna be a beast. Supposedly Beamon was recruited to play DT, and if that's the case he in all probability redshirts. I don't see how Toney could be an every down DE at 236 lbs, so I'm looking for Simmons to take the 2nd starting spot as well, with the real competition to start coming from Oweh. But Toney, Joseph and Tarburton would round out a nice 6 DE rotation. Maybe Isaac can carve a spot for himself as a pass rusher and not redshirt, but without injuries or one of the other 6 leaving I see Isaac playing some and still redshirting.

-Can Stevens stay healthy?? I feel like Clifford has been more impressive when given the chance. Stevens is a good, strong runner, but he's gonna need to throw to make the offense work. I agree. The starting QB can't consistently throw passes into the turf. For this offense to flourish the QB needs to have some consistency. But just like when Trace and Stevens competed for the spot 3 years ago, I believe the competition between Stevens and Clifford will be pretty much behind closed doors. But for me, the B/W game will be all about seeing Levis, Johnson and Roberson show some of their skill sets....

- RB should be fun - third starting RB in three years. Slade/Cain/Brown should be fun to watch. Yep, is CJF just talking up Brown to keep Slade from getting a big head, or is there a real chance that Brown (or Holmes) could start? Plus, RB's can contribute in limited carries if they are as talented as Cain and Ford are reported to be. We need to get a couple KO returns taken to the house!

- DT is a concern. Gotta find someone to pair with Windsor. Hope Hansard and/or Mustipher are able to step up. Justs like last year when I believed there were enough DT's in the program that surely 4 or 5 would emerge to form a very good unit (and I ended up disappointed with the average results), there is lots of work to do to form a top B10 unit from all the young DT's on the current roster. Really, with the only sure thing being Windsor, any one (or 2 or 3...) of other 7 DT's could end up rising to the top and having a break out season. Or none may and the DT unit could be very average....

- OL is a concern with the early departures; seems like that has been the case since 2012. Any cause for optimism? I see cause for optimism, with Walker, Whigan and likely Holmes battling at OT, and Miranda and Thorpe and possibly Effner battling at Guard. But if Scruggs is out into Fall that leaves a big hole at 2nd team Center. I would guess that Miranda would end up as the 2nd team Center even if he starts at Guard, but the shifting that would cause if Menet gets nicked is not ideal, as we saw in the recent past.....

Last edited:
As far as the online goes, we are one of few “all natural” teams in upper college. Think the SEC coaches are testing for steroids? The NCAA rule is “self enforcement”. The area where this would make the biggest difference is oline. That’s why our oline guys look pudgy compared to others.

Reactions: Minerva1903
I've heard this several times. What is it about our blocking scheme that people feel is a problem? I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking.

The OL doesn't really know where the play is going until the QB makes his read. Think about it. You could have 5 road graders up front, but they don't know if it's a run or a pass until about 2 seconds after the ball is snapped.

The OL doesn't really know where the play is going until the QB makes his read. Think about it. You could have 5 road graders up front, but they don't know if it's a run or a pass until about 2 seconds after the ball is snapped.
OK Thanks....since many college teams now run similar offensive read/run/pass schemes, is our OL line different from theirs? And, in order to change the blocking scheme, we'd have to change to eliminating that "read" offense, correct?

As far as the online goes, we are one of few “all natural” teams in upper college. Think the SEC coaches are testing for steroids? The NCAA rule is “self enforcement”. The area where this would make the biggest difference is oline. That’s why our oline guys look pudgy compared to others.
I doubt it. So Wisconsin and Iowa are cheating cause their olines aren’t pudgy

OK Thanks....since many college teams now run similar offensive read/run/pass schemes, is our OL line different from theirs? And, in order to change the blocking scheme, we'd have to change to eliminating that "read" offense, correct?

I'm not really qualified to judge OL play. But, I think the answer is yes. For example, Gonzalez could push his guy into the secondary and if the QB decides at the last second to pass the ball, Gonzo gets flagged for being an ineligible player down field. I just think the scheme makes the OL play more difficult to grade.

Reactions: Minerva1903
This is the issue. With the RPO, the QB has to make the decision after the snap. The OL can't just fire out, drive block to try to open up a given hole. It's a good offense overall, but doesn't make the OL run blocking look good. Trace was a master of this offense. I hope Stevens can be, but I have my doubts.

Irrelevant they block run , if they pass they’ll live with the penalty rarely called

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199 and OhioLion
Nope

Reactions: bmw199
This is the issue. With the RPO, the QB has to make the decision after the snap. The OL can't just fire out, drive block to try to open up a given hole. It's a good offense overall, but doesn't make the OL run blocking look good. Trace was a master of this offense. I hope Stevens can be, but I have my doubts.
Most teams don’t fire our anymore so that’s not the issue. The issue is free runners

Reactions: OhioLion
https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article227674644.html

Where does Penn State football’s tricky safety situation stand entering spring camp?
BY JOHN MCGONIGAL

MARCH 14, 2019 11:31 AM,

UPDATED MARCH 14, 2019 02:15 PM

Nick Scott is back in Happy Valley. Well, temporarily. Penn State’s 2018 defensive captain is in town to train ahead of next Tuesday’s Pro Day, along with Trace McSorley, Miles Sanders and more NFL prospects.

Having Scott and company back in the Lasch Building made James Franklin a bit nostalgic. But the head coach knows that sooner rather than later, those program stalwarts will leave State College for good. And when they do, the Nittany Lions will be in the midst of figuring out their replacements.

Quarterback is straight-forward with Tommy Stevens waiting in the wings. Sanders’ successor will likely be Ricky Slade. But the safety position — finding Scott’s substitute and establishing the two-deep in spring camp and beyond — is trickier.

“I think we’ve got a good group of guys that we feel good about,” Franklin said. “But obviously we have to answer some questions.”

YOUR ALL ACCESS SUBSCRIPTION IS WAITING!
Enjoy 92% off your first month of digital access when you finish signing up today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW
#READLOCAL

That’s after the safety position endured serious attrition in the offseason. Scott moved on, but so did Ayron Monroe and Isaiah Humphries. The former — a limited contributor who never really made good on his potential — left the program, while the latter, just a freshman, transferred to Cal.

Lamont Wade almost bolted, too, but returned to Penn State after entering the transfer portal and posting an empty locker to his Instagram story in January. Wade’s decision must have been a sigh of relief for Franklin and safeties coach Tim Banks, considering the former five-star prospect’s place on the depth chart entering spring camp.

Franklin said at field safety — what most would call free safety — Wade is the No. 1 option, followed in order by John Petrishen, Tyler Rudolph and Drew Hartlaub. Opposite Scott’s old spot, Garrett Taylor will start the 2019 season at box safety. Behind him, Jonathan Sutherland is champing at the bit, followed by Central Mountain walk-on Justin Neff and Cody Romano.

Seems cut and dried, right? Not quite.

“They are moving parts,” Franklin said. “If you’re the backup at one (safety position), but you’re one of our two best safeties, we’ll move it around and plug-and-play.”

That speaks specifically to the case of Sutherland — a hard-hitter who should be viewed as the natural heir apparent at box safety when Taylor, a rising redshirt senior, runs out of eligibility. Sutherland’s teammates call him “The Assassin”; that should be enough explanation as to why the rising redshirt sophomore would thrive in a position that Marcus Allen recently made his own.

“There’s some aspects where we like to drop one safety into the box more and play to their strengths,” the coach added. “That’s something that Sutherland does extremely well.”

But without Scott, Penn State’s staff might need to shift Sutherland’s focus. If Wade — a former cornerback — turns out to not be the right man for the job, Taylor could theoretically move to field safety for his final season, giving the box safety reins to Sutherland. But Franklin never mentioned that as a possibility Wednesday.

What’s more likely: The Nittany Lions keep Taylor where he is, roll with Wade this spring and let him prove himself, work in Sutherland at both spots and wait for reinforcements before making a final call on Scott’s successor. Yes, reinforcements.

Jaquan Brisker — a member of Penn State’s 2019 recruiting class — is a four-star safety from Lackawanna and contender for Scott’s job. He was the No. 12 JUCO prospect in the country, earning offers from Alabama, Maryland, Mississippi State and more. Brian Dohn, a national recruiting analyst for 247 Sports, compared Brisker to Pro Bowl and All-American safety HaHa Clinton-Dix, projecting the Pittsburgh native as a future second- or third-round pick.

Unfortunately for the Nittany Lions, Brisker won’t arrive on campus until after spring camp. But the safety has remained on the mind of Franklin any way he can. The coach said Brisker will be on campus this weekend to be around the team and has been sending the staff workout videos throughout the offseason.

“He blows me up constantly,” Franklin said laughing. “He’s excited.”

And the feeling seems mutual from the staff. Defensive recruiting coordinator and cornerbacks coach Terry Smith said in December that Brisker will have “an opportunity” to compete for the vacant field safety gig. Franklin said the same.

That’s why this battle will likely wage on into fall camp. Sure, it’s possible Wade puts his stamp on Scott’s old spot in spring camp. Sutherland could prove himself versatile enough to start opposite Taylor. Rudolph, a four-star prospect in the 2019 class, can show what he has, as well.

This 15-practice tryout over March and April will be crucial to the staff’s future decision at field safety. And it’ll be interesting to see what the position looks like by time Brisker arrives.

“We’re really excited about what Wade’s done this offseason. Really excited about what Petrishen has done. ... Sutherland just continues to show up,” Franklin said. “So it’s going to be a great competition. ... We feel good about the group.”

Reactions: indynittany

My biggest "lexpectation" I'm interested in what time the Lots open ;)
200.webp

Last edited:

I feel like I say the same thing a lot over the last 10 years. O Line and D Line. I am convinced that in college ball, your odds of being a great team are exponentially enhanced when you have great O Lines and D Lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT