ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice

I coach at school that will be excited this year as we may break 40 players grades 9-12. We run RPOs. Penn State runs RPOs. However, neither team has an RPO called each and every play.
Like @sluggo72 stated, many times the OL is not firing out. Penn State runs a lot of zone run plays, therefore you are not going after a man.
The kids at my school are not D-1 offensive linemen, but they know if the LB in their "zone" is not attacking, you don't chase him. The OL will know sooner than the said 2 seconds if they have someone to block; either the LB attacks the RPO run (fake) - block him - or the LB drops into coverage - don't block him.
Not sure people give the OL enough credit.
And, I agree with Sluggo72 in another matter - rarely are you getting a downfield OL called unless he's past 5 yards. Most RPO passes are short and out quickly.

OL

OK Thanks....since many college teams now run similar offensive read/run/pass schemes, is our OL line different from theirs? And, in order to change the blocking scheme, we'd have to change to eliminating that "read" offense, correct?
Or when the Eagles run the RPO?

The OL doesn't really know where the play is going until the QB makes his read. Think about it. You could have 5 road graders up front, but they don't know if it's a run or a pass until about 2 seconds after the ball is snapped.

That does not make much sense. The OL is in front of the QB. They don't have eyes in the back of their heads. All 5 will never be on the same page.

I'm not really qualified to judge OL play. But, I think the answer is yes. For example, Gonzalez could push his guy into the secondary and if the QB decides at the last second to pass the ball, Gonzo gets flagged for being an ineligible player down field. I just think the scheme makes the OL play more difficult to grade.

Does he need to push his guy into the secondary to be effective?

The blocking scheme needs to change. What did they do different vs UWashington? They made some adjustments that game.

That does not make much sense. The OL is in front of the QB. They don't have eyes in the back of their heads. All 5 will never be on the same page.

Does he need to push his guy into the secondary to be effective?

The blocking scheme needs to change. What did they do different vs UWashington? They made some adjustments that game.
What kind of front did UDub play??

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...-state-nittany-lions-football-blue-white-game

MMQB - Who Will Break Out This Spring?

Every year, someone shines during spring practice, who’s next up this year?
By Chris Lucia Mar 18, 2019, 7:36am EDTSHARE
1029561124.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images
Spring practice is underway in State College, with winter workout videos popping up here and there, and the Blue-White Game scheduled for mid-April.

Over the next few weeks, we’ll get snippets from practice about a player or two, or perhaps even a position group, that is doing well. We’ll get a lot of coach speak about injured or limited players, talk of whether the offense is ahead of the defense or vice versa.

But without fail, someone will put on their black shoes and basic blues for the spring scrimmage, and proceed to outshine the rest of their teammates.

Last year it was Mac Hippenhammer.

In 2017, both Ayron Monroe and Tommy Stevens had themselves a game.

So who will it be this year? Which young, unproven player will take the spring practice by the horns and show out?

For me, I’m hoping that the spring star comes from one of the offensive line, receiving corps, or defensive line.

From the OL, I’d love for C.J. Thorpe, Mike Miranda, or Rasheed Wallace to really cement themselves on the line.

There will be a bunch of new faces at wide receiver, so someone like Justin Shorter or Jahan Dotson proving themselves alongside KJ Hamler would be nice to see.

And along the DL, I’ve got my eyes on PJ Mustipher and Jayson Oweh.

Now, breaking out during the spring hasn’t always translated to success on the field the following season. In fact, none of the players mentioned above had much of an impact when the fall rolled around 6 months later.

But with some of the roster turnover this off-season, there are a slew of starting spots up for grabs. Let’s hope that someone recognizes that and makes the most of their opportunity.

Reactions: indynittany
https://victorybellrings.com/2019/03/18/penn-state-football-spring-storyline-defensive-line-battle/

Penn State Football Spring Storyline: Defensive line battle

by Barry Leonard Jr.41 minutes ago Follow @barryleonardjr

Penn State football has some questions on the defensive line

Spring practice is always a time for coaches to begin to get a sense of what they will have in the upcoming season. Penn State football returns a stacked depth chart on the defensive side of the ball, with the exception of the defensive line. Spring practice should start to clear up the picture for defensive line coach Sean Spencer’s “Wild Dogs.”

Penn State has had the luxury of a set depth chart on the defensive line the past few seasons, but that’s not the case in 2019. The minute that defensive end Shareef Miller and defensive tackle Kevin Givens each declared for the upcoming NFL Draft, Penn State’s defensive line was hit with two major holes to fill.

Fortunately, Franklin and his staff have done a great job of recruiting and have several guys waiting in the wings ready to step up. It’s just a matter of picking the right pieces for the fight fit. Spring will be the first chance for the coaches to do that.

Defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos enjoyed a breakout season last year, and he’s a popular pick to have a big year in 2019. He’s a lock to hold down one of the defensive end spots, and has a chance to be one of the best defensive linemen in the Big Ten.

Shaka Toney, Daniel Joseph, and Jayson Oweh will also be in the mix at defensive tackle.

Joining Gross-Matos at defensive end will be Shane Simmons — a former five-star recruit who has yet to have his full chance to shine. If Simmons does indeed intend on nabbing a starting spot, he’ll have to start making an impression this spring.

Defensive tackle is a bit more up in the air, as the departure of Givens came as a surprise.

Robert Windsor had several strong games last season and enters 2019 with a clear path to a starting job. No matter what happens this spring, look for Windsor to line up as a starter in 2019.

Fred Hansard Ellison Jordan, Antonio Shelton, Damion Barber, and P.J. Mustipher will all have an opportunity to impress the coaching staff this spring.

Figuring out who will be the other starter at defensive tackle will certainly be a storyline to watch this spring. While a starter probably won’t be named, there’s certainly an opportunity for someone to step up and stand out in the competition.

Reactions: NedFromYork
https://bwi.rivals.com/news/in-their-words-quarterbacks

In their words: Quarterbacks

Nate Bauer • BlueWhiteIllustrated.com
@NateBauerBWI

Many of Penn State’s 15 Pro Day participants, doing their best for the 30 NFL scouts in attendance at Holuba Hall Tuesday afternoon, followed up their performances with media interviews.

And for as much as the process of preparing for futures as professionals took center stage, inevitably, the former Nittany Lions were asked to assess the program that will remain in their absences. No longer on the team, per se, that didn’t preclude forthcoming evaluations of the group currently working its way through spring practices.

With that in mind, let’s take a swing through Penn State’s position groups through the viewpoint of the program’s most recent alumnae, beginning today at quarterback.

kousqf3ng4ub0l3g2tus

Sean Clifford and DeAndre Thompkins chat during preseason practice last August.

Quarterback

Who better to evaluate the Nittany Lion quarterbacks than the owner of the program’s passing records?

Ready to embark on his NFL career, as a quarterback, McSorley has still had the opportunity to check out some of the Nittany Lion practices this spring. And he has come away impressed with the likes of

Tommy Stevens,
Sean Clifford
and
Will Levis
at this early stage in the fight to become his successor.

“They all came out and looked really good. Cliff and Will were slinging the ball around and showing confidence being another year in and another year older. Will has been able to grow from last year to this year. You can see him being more confident. It’s been awesome,” said McSorley. “And Tommy’s taken leadership of that entire group. He’s spearheading everything.

“They’ll have a really good competition. The coaches will figure out what will happen. I’m excited to see what they do. I’ve been in contact with those guys since I’ve been back. We’ve watched film together. Will has reached out to me just wanting to pick my brain with some things. He’s always trying to learn and gain new information.”

Among McSorley’s targets last season, DeAndre Thompkins was also asked to handicap the race for the starting job at Penn State next season.

Initially balking at the ask, calling it a “James Franklin question,” Thompkins did offer up his assessment of quarterback room as a whole.

“All the quarterbacks can throw. They’re all competitors. They all compete. They all demand the best out of each other,” said Thompkins. “So whoever starts, I wouldn’t be surprised. They did earn it and they worked hard to get there. Anybody can take it. They’re all dogs. They all fight.

“I love Tommy and that’s my man, but he has more to prove just like anybody else. Nothing is guaranteed, so you just gotta work for it.”

Echoing the sentiment, offensive lineman Connor McGovern credited McSorley for setting the tone within the quarterback room that has, is, and will continue to pay dividends for the Nittany Lions moving forward.

“I think it’s going to be a great battle. We’ll see in camp who pulls it out,” said McGovern. “Tommy brings another versatile aspect to it. Very big, but he can run and also throw. Sean has a great arm. They’re both great leaders, so it’s going to be a great battle going into this year.

“I think just being in that room with Trace has rubbed off on both of them. They’re both going to take that next step with being more of a leader.”

Working behind the primary competitors for the job, January enrollees
Michael Johnson Jr. and Ta’Quan Roberson also caught
McSorley’s eye.

Offering his initial impression of the pair, McSorley also opened a window into the role that Stevens has played while participating in “limited” action this spring.

“I saw them for a little bit. They’re athletic. They can make some throws. They’re definitely young,” said McSorley. “When you first get to this level, you really don’t know what’s going on the first time out there. It was cool to see them.

“They’re learning from Tommy. I walked by a room and Tommy was sitting with Michael. An hour later he was with Taquan. An hour later he was with Isaac (Rumery). That’s the role Tommy’s assuming. He’s doing a great job leading all of those guys and getting them on the same page.”

Regardless of the quarterback that eventually emerges, McSorley offered his own advice as the competitors progress through what is likely to be a months-long process.

Having served as a backup for his first two years on Penn State’s campus before beating out Stevens for the starting job in the 2016 preseason, McSorley reflected on what propelled him through it all.

“Just go out and play. You can’t control what’s going to happen,” said McSorley. “I remember when I was going through the competition aspect, when I started pressing and started worrying about it is when I started playing worse.

“My advice to them is go out and cut it loose. Go through your reads. You can’t win the job on one throw and you can’t lose it on one throw. You have to put a whole body of work together day in day out and be the same guy every day.”

Why all the love for Clifford? Talk about POCKET passer. Can he run at all? How is this a good fit? I think Levis has the bigger upside.

Why all the love for Clifford? Talk about POCKET passer. Can he run at all? How is this a good fit? I think Levis has the bigger upside.

Clifford is supposedly a very good athlete, and ran a good bit in high school. He's not the bulldozer that Stevens seems to be, but his first priority is to complete passes except on designed QB runs and I don't remember seeing Clifford running any QB runs in his very limited playing time last season.

With the group of WR's that is being assembled I believe we need someone at QB that can get them the ball, and keep running as a thing to do when the pocket breaks down....except on executing the read option, which I don't believe we have seen Clifford run enough to make a judgement....

Last edited:
Yes Clifford can run. Take a look at his HS Hudl videos. He’s pass first run second. Isn’t that what you want? You haven’t seen Levis take a snap but he has more upside? Clifford didn’t get a lot of snaps but it was obvious that he is very talented when he got the opportunity.

Last edited:
Looks like we are going to need a QB that can run effectively (for his life).

I don't see it that way. When an OL is in the process of replacing a few starters a good bit of the inconsistency is due to the multiple players that get time with the returning players due to the competition for the starting spots. So the DL gets that advantage and it seems like the DL is "winning" more than their share of the reps, especially on passing plays where the pass protection requires the olinemen to have their assignments and adjustments solid. The oline really develops the chemistry to excel once the position battles are decided and the starting 5 develops into a unit, which likely won't happen until Fall practice gets going. Will CJF name the new OL starters at the end of Spring practice, or will he name leaders at those spots, or will he just put the competitors at the top with an "or" between them? We'll see as the competition continues....

I don't see it that way. When an OL is in the process of replacing a few starters a good bit of the inconsistency is due to the multiple players that get time with the returning players due to the competition for the starting spots. So the DL gets that advantage and it seems like the DL is "winning" more than their share of the reps, especially on passing plays where the pass protection requires the olinemen to have their assignments and adjustments solid. The oline really develops the chemistry to excel once the position battles are decided and the starting 5 develops into a unit, which likely won't happen until Fall practice gets going. Will CJF name the new OL starters at the end of Spring practice, or will he name leaders at those spots, or will he just put the competitors at the top with an "or" between them? We'll see as the
competition continues....

Tackles not athletic enough. Sorry.

Tackles not athletic enough. Sorry.

Really, that's a SORRY analysis. Walker is a top 10 talent because he is one of the most athletic OT's in the country. And Whigan was the top JC OT in the country because he is one of the most athletic OT's in the country. And Fries has a somewhat proven track record and as a RS Junior will more than likely progress from a pretty good first two seasons as a very young starter. Bates who played pretty good OT for PSU, and likely will be on an NFL roster shortly, is on record as saying that Walker has the tools to be much better than he was. Tools = athleticism!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NJPSU and 81b&w

This isn’t meant to pick of Levis, but he was barely a 50% passer in HS and played on a team with a losing record. Clifford meanwhile won the most accurate QB award at the Elite 11 finals and won a state title in Ohio’s highest classification.

What upside are you talking about?

And if you say arm strength, I’m gonna lose my $hit. The single biggest reason for QB “busts” and overinflated expectations is arm strength.

I expected more... pictures don't always tell the story but an awful lot (clearly there were exceptions... our QB's look physically sound) of these guys appeared flabby (lack of a better word... not fat, just not the kind of specimens I'm hoping to see on the field). Fortunately, there is time to remedy that.

Just my opinion. Again, pictures can be deceiving (lighting, angle, etc).

Reactions: BeefSkull
This isn’t meant to pick of Levis, but he was barely a 50% passer in HS and played on a team with a losing record. Clifford meanwhile won the most accurate QB award at the Elite 11 finals and won a state title in Ohio’s highest classification.

And if you say arm strength, I’m gonna lose my $hit. The single biggest reason for QB “busts” and overinflated expectations is arm strength.
Clifford also won the state championship game with a dislocated shoulder. People I know that are HS football junkies tell me he is an absolute gamer and feel he's the perfect guy to take over for Trace. They were upset that tOSU didn't get him (they are also tOSU junkies).

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...a-closer-look-at-rasheed-walker-and-more.html

Penn State practice takeaways: One running back shines, a closer look at Rasheed Walker, and more
Today 11:10 AM
138shares
By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com

Penn State has completed just over 30 percent of its spring practices, as head coach James Franklin’s team spent another couple of hours working out on Wednesday night inside Holuba Hall.

The open portion this week featured 11-on-11 scrimmaging. A couple of legitimate tackles were made, mostly on accident, as the team focused on wrap-up work with health a priority this spring.

Here’s what we took away from the 15 minutes or so of action:

Brown can do plenty

Anyone who may have thought Franklin was merely providing lip service to running Journey Brown at this time last week can rethink that position.

“Journey’s always been really talented, but now a lot of these other things are falling into place to allow him to play with the confidence and the speed,” Franklin said last week.

Brown proved it on Wednesday, as he ripped off a couple of nice, long runs up the middle that showcased the speed that helped make him a high school phenom on the football field as well as a record-setting athlete on the track.

It will be fascinating to watch how offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne deploys Brown, Ricky Slade, Noah Cain, and others once the fall arrives.

Walker making strides

Penn State has starting job battles at many positions, including left tackle.

There, Rasheed Walker has an early leg up on junior college transfer Anthony Whigan. The former four-star recruit and redshirt freshman has added good weight since arriving at the campus about a year ago, and the fact that he played in a few games last fall bodes well for the future.

Still, even a handful of practice reps made clear that he has a ways to go before becoming game ready, which is something the program was expecting. Walker probably won as many battles as he lost on Wednesday, but it’s quite clear that the talent is there. Confidence and consistency must follow.

“We’ve been very pleased with him," Franklin said. "He’s big. He’s strong, he’s athletic. He needs 1,000 reps just to gain the experience. But so far, so good.”

Clifford, Levis show off arm strength

With Tommy Stevens dressed but limited so far this spring, Sean Clifford and Will Levis have received the lion’s share of the live reps through the first quintet of practices.

On Wednesday, Clifford made a few nice throws and proved capable of avoiding pressure, which is a concern some had as he maybe does not have the foot speed of Trace McSorley. That does not appear to be a concern.

As for the arm strength, it was impressive during his handful of passes in the 2019 season, but it hasn’t gone away: At one point, he overthrew K.J. Hamler by a decent margin. Short throws were accurate, though.

Levis, he has a cannon. One deep ball to Dan Chisnea, who has incredible speed, by the way, set up about a 30-yard completion. One other long throw, however, was intercepted by corner Keaton Ellis.

The battle at quarterback is a fun one to watch.

A couple of first-team notes

It was no surprise to see Lamont Wade working as the first-team safety opposite Garrett Taylor after James Franklin anointed him as the first man up to replace the departed Nick Scott. Wade looks different this spring, in a good way, and may be close to putting together his four-star potential. He’ll continue to battle with others before Jaquan Brisker throws his hat into the ring this spring.

Along the defensive line, it was hardly a shock, either, to see Antonio Shelton lined up next to Robert Windsor. P.J. Mustipher is going to see a lot of action this fall, but Shelton looks like the kind of run-plugger who can replace Kevin Givens.

Final word

Franklin used the word ‘good’ to sum up the practices to date, while guard Steven Gonzalez and linebacker Cam Brown both said ‘competitive’ when asked.

Cliches are a rite of passage in the spring, but it was striking how Brown and Gonzalez both indicated how aggressive, in a positive way, many of the Lions’ youngsters are. It’s not necessarily a change from the past, but there is no debating that there are more freshmen and sophomore with high-ceiling talent in the program by sheer number now than at any previous point in the Franklin era.

The Lions hope that will pay off in a big way when the opener arrives on Aug. 31 opposite Idaho.

Reactions: NJPSU and Obliviax
Cam Brown........”Journey Brown, his speed is ridiculous. So he’s standing out a lot.”

The praise for Journey just keeps coming.

last year Journey had a couple runs that looked like they were a tackle away from going to the house. he also looks very solid. I hope we can hang onto the entire group as they develop. Georgia has done a great job getting their guys to the NFL recently with plenty of tread on the tire. when you can split time and everyone is productive and getting carries, they have plenty left. some guys need a lot of carries to get in the groove, so a little sacrifice there.

Reactions: ncgolfer and 81b&w
Clifford also won the state championship game with a dislocated shoulder. People I know that are HS football junkies tell me he is an absolute gamer and feel he's the perfect guy to take over for Trace. They were upset that tOSU didn't get him (they are also tOSU junkies).

Cliffords high school career seems much like Traces, just flat out gamers and winners. I really hope Tommy does well, but his running style and injuries scare me. Haven't seen much of Levis yet to judge but it sounds like he's coming along well. Our QB future looks bright

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...r-high-praise-for-micah-parsons-and-more.html

Penn State breakout picks include former 5-star receiver, high praise for Micah Parsons, and more
Today 5:37 AM

Penn State had veteran leadership in 2018 and a roster full of veterans who were key contributors.

This year that will not necessarily be the case.

Head coach James Franklin’s team is quickly approaching the halfway mark of its spring drills, as another practice is set for Saturday.

The team is seeking a new starting quarterback with the record-setting Trace McSorley gone, and it also must find a way to utilize its handful of talented backs to replace Miles Sanders’ production. It’s quite young at receiver, needs two first-team offensive linemen, new starters at end and defensive tackle, and three first-time starters at linebacker, safety, and corner.

The good news is that many of those spots have clear candidates at the ready to fight for a starting spot, such as:

• Tommy Stevens and Sean Clifford at quarterback

• Journey Brown and Ricky Slade in the backfield

• Justin Shorter, Daniel George, and Jahan Dotson at receiver to go along with top producer K.J. Hamler

• Rasheed Walker and Mike Miranda at tackle and guard, respectively

• Antonio Shelton at defensive tackle and Shaka Toney at end

• Micah Parsons at linebacker (as a starter; he jumped onto the stage with by leading the team in tackles last year)

• Tariq Castro-Fields (essentially a starter a year ago), Donovan Johnson, and maybe some young guys at corner

• Lamont Wade at safety. He’ll eventually battle Jaquan Brisker for the spot opposite Garrett Taylor

It’s a talented list to go with a promising group of returners, but it’s also a picture of young former recruiting stars who will now be asked to quickly translate into key contributors if the Lions are to outperform the 8.5 win total listed for them by offshore sportsbooks.

“The team’s a new team when you lose your starting quarterback, especially a guy like Trace," expected team leader and linebacker Cam Brown said.

“He was an all-star, a winner, and when you lose somebody like that, everyone on the outside is going to look like, ‘what are you going to do?’ It’s next man up. You have to find somebody to fit the role and do the job.”

Here’s a closer look at some of the players who will be expected to do just that:

Micah Parsons

“It’s tremendous strides,” Brown said of Parsons’ growth.

“From the beginning of his freshman year to now, he’s a whole different person. He knows what he’s doing, he’s sharp, he can teach other kids, and he’s just giving tips. He’s real productive now. He’s giving to the program more than just on the field.”

Former Lions linebacker Koa Farmer, who Parsons will officially replace in the starting lineup this fall, added:

“We call them vets and then young guy vets. Micah is definitely one of those. He played a lot of football last year, and I think the next step for him is to raise his IQ to become more of a leader, and when I talk to [head strength coach Dwight Galt], he’s doing that.”

Penn State linebackers Micah Parsons and Jesse Luketa have lunch while watching Pro Day on March 19, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

The linebacker picture in general

Farmer was asked to comment on the group, and shouted out Ellis Brooks, Cam Brown, Jan Johnson, and Jesse Luketa:

“Jesse’s a very mature guy, Ellis, people kind of questioned Ellis’ height, his weight, but he’s a football player,” Farmer said.

“Cam Brown is leading the way. Jan Johnson obviously surprised [people] last year. Cam is a very mature guy. He’s so smart as a football player and can play a lot of positions. He looks bigger, and I think he is taking the next step.”

On the freshman linebackers, Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon, he said:

“I’m not sure about Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon, but they’re five-star guys, so I’m sure they’re ready to play. Coach Pry is doing a great job of recruiting these guys; it’s time to put it on the field though.”

Franklin agreed:

“I would say all those true freshmen, they’re just so raw, so talented, but raw, [and] things that they were able to get away with, they can’t get away with now.

"All those mid-semester freshmen have had that ‘welcome to college football’ moment now, and that’s a humbling experience, and then they kind of battle back. By the end of spring, those guys will have made a significant step.”

Who could step up at receiver?

“We got a lot of guys out there,” corner Amani Oruwariye said. “K.J’s excelling, and he’s going to keep excelling and getting better.

“Jahan really stepping up and is going to have a magnificent year, and Shorter is a guy that came in highly-touted and he’s going to take the next step and be that guy for us. We got some other guys too, Daniel George, and some other guys who will make plays.”

Penn State wide receiver Daniel George runs a drill during the first day of spring practice on March 13, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

On the defensive line:

“Antonio Shelton has improved a lot,” guard Steve Gonzalez said when asked to describe the situation at defensive tackle.

“He’s very quick off the ball, very explosive, and strong. P.J. Mustipher is a guy who is improving all the time and has shown all types of promise.”

Former end Shareef Miller was asked to pick the defensive line’s next breakout star:

“Yetur,” Miller said, referring to Gross-Matos.

“He’s a great player, and he came in and worked hard. He listened to the older guys, Coach Spencer, and he’s going to take his game to the next level.”

Kevin Givens agreed.

“I feel like you still got Yetur, Shaka, Rob [Windsor], Antonio, so I don’t think that’ll be a problem at all,” Givens said. "People step up on the d-line.”

Penn State defensive tackle Robert Windsor makes his way into Holuba Hall for the first day of spring practice on March 13, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

What about at the corner spot, both starters, and critical depth?

“Coach Smith just is throwing out DBs, that’s all he does,” former All-Big Ten pick Amani Oruwariye said.

“John Reid’s going to do his thing and take off, Tariq’s going to have a spectacular year, and there’s going to be some young guys who step up.”

He also sees a bright future for Donovan Johnson once healthy.

“I mean, Donovan’s always done a good job, he just has to make sure he’s ready to go,” Oruwariye continued. “I’ve heard nothing but good things about the freshmen coming in, so hopefully they can come into the room and make some plays for us.”

Franklin was later very complimentary about the two freshman corners, Keaton Ellis and Marquis Wilson.

“I think the two corners, Keaton and Marquis [Wilson], are doing some good things,” Franklin said Wednesday. “The further away you are from the ball, receivers and corners, it helps with that (adjustment to college). But they’ve both been impressive.”

Penn State cornerback Keaton Ellis makes a leaping interception on a pass intended for wide receiver Dan Chisena during practice on March 20, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

“They’ve both got length," Franklin continued. "They’ve both got really good ball skills. I think that both of them were fairly high-level high school receivers really helps. They’re confident finding the ball in the air, and they’re not undersized. They’re fairly physical at this point. Those guys have flashed a lot of really good things. There’s a buzz and excitement with the players and coaches.”

At running back?

Brown ripped off a couple of nice runs during Wednesday’s practice, and he plus Ricky Slade are expected to carry the bulk of the load this fall.

January enrollee Noah Cain should factor, too.

“He’s blended really well with the guys,” Franklin said, “[with] this freshmen class as well as the old guy. He’s an old soul in his demeanor. Him and a lot of these guys, sometimes they put too much pressure on themselves early.

“There’s got to be a little patience, and I see flashes of really good things. It’s too early to say how much any of these guys are going to factor in in the fall.”

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...r-high-praise-for-micah-parsons-and-more.html

Penn State breakout picks include former 5-star receiver, high praise for Micah Parsons, and more
Today 5:37 AM

Penn State had veteran leadership in 2018 and a roster full of veterans who were key contributors.

This year that will not necessarily be the case.

Head coach James Franklin’s team is quickly approaching the halfway mark of its spring drills, as another practice is set for Saturday.

The team is seeking a new starting quarterback with the record-setting Trace McSorley gone, and it also must find a way to utilize its handful of talented backs to replace Miles Sanders’ production. It’s quite young at receiver, needs two first-team offensive linemen, new starters at end and defensive tackle, and three first-time starters at linebacker, safety, and corner.

The good news is that many of those spots have clear candidates at the ready to fight for a starting spot, such as:

• Tommy Stevens and Sean Clifford at quarterback

• Journey Brown and Ricky Slade in the backfield

• Justin Shorter, Daniel George, and Jahan Dotson at receiver to go along with top producer K.J. Hamler

• Rasheed Walker and Mike Miranda at tackle and guard, respectively

• Antonio Shelton at defensive tackle and Shaka Toney at end

• Micah Parsons at linebacker (as a starter; he jumped onto the stage with by leading the team in tackles last year)

• Tariq Castro-Fields (essentially a starter a year ago), Donovan Johnson, and maybe some young guys at corner

• Lamont Wade at safety. He’ll eventually battle Jaquan Brisker for the spot opposite Garrett Taylor

It’s a talented list to go with a promising group of returners, but it’s also a picture of young former recruiting stars who will now be asked to quickly translate into key contributors if the Lions are to outperform the 8.5 win total listed for them by offshore sportsbooks.

“The team’s a new team when you lose your starting quarterback, especially a guy like Trace," expected team leader and linebacker Cam Brown said.

“He was an all-star, a winner, and when you lose somebody like that, everyone on the outside is going to look like, ‘what are you going to do?’ It’s next man up. You have to find somebody to fit the role and do the job.”

Here’s a closer look at some of the players who will be expected to do just that:

Micah Parsons

“It’s tremendous strides,” Brown said of Parsons’ growth.

“From the beginning of his freshman year to now, he’s a whole different person. He knows what he’s doing, he’s sharp, he can teach other kids, and he’s just giving tips. He’s real productive now. He’s giving to the program more than just on the field.”

Former Lions linebacker Koa Farmer, who Parsons will officially replace in the starting lineup this fall, added:

“We call them vets and then young guy vets. Micah is definitely one of those. He played a lot of football last year, and I think the next step for him is to raise his IQ to become more of a leader, and when I talk to [head strength coach Dwight Galt], he’s doing that.”

Penn State linebackers Micah Parsons and Jesse Luketa have lunch while watching Pro Day on March 19, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

The linebacker picture in general

Farmer was asked to comment on the group, and shouted out Ellis Brooks, Cam Brown, Jan Johnson, and Jesse Luketa:

“Jesse’s a very mature guy, Ellis, people kind of questioned Ellis’ height, his weight, but he’s a football player,” Farmer said.

“Cam Brown is leading the way. Jan Johnson obviously surprised [people] last year. Cam is a very mature guy. He’s so smart as a football player and can play a lot of positions. He looks bigger, and I think he is taking the next step.”

On the freshman linebackers, Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon, he said:

“I’m not sure about Brandon Smith and Lance Dixon, but they’re five-star guys, so I’m sure they’re ready to play. Coach Pry is doing a great job of recruiting these guys; it’s time to put it on the field though.”

Franklin agreed:

“I would say all those true freshmen, they’re just so raw, so talented, but raw, [and] things that they were able to get away with, they can’t get away with now.

"All those mid-semester freshmen have had that ‘welcome to college football’ moment now, and that’s a humbling experience, and then they kind of battle back. By the end of spring, those guys will have made a significant step.”

Who could step up at receiver?

“We got a lot of guys out there,” corner Amani Oruwariye said. “K.J’s excelling, and he’s going to keep excelling and getting better.

“Jahan really stepping up and is going to have a magnificent year, and Shorter is a guy that came in highly-touted and he’s going to take the next step and be that guy for us. We got some other guys too, Daniel George, and some other guys who will make plays.”

Penn State wide receiver Daniel George runs a drill during the first day of spring practice on March 13, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

On the defensive line:

“Antonio Shelton has improved a lot,” guard Steve Gonzalez said when asked to describe the situation at defensive tackle.

“He’s very quick off the ball, very explosive, and strong. P.J. Mustipher is a guy who is improving all the time and has shown all types of promise.”

Former end Shareef Miller was asked to pick the defensive line’s next breakout star:

“Yetur,” Miller said, referring to Gross-Matos.

“He’s a great player, and he came in and worked hard. He listened to the older guys, Coach Spencer, and he’s going to take his game to the next level.”

Kevin Givens agreed.

“I feel like you still got Yetur, Shaka, Rob [Windsor], Antonio, so I don’t think that’ll be a problem at all,” Givens said. "People step up on the d-line.”

Penn State defensive tackle Robert Windsor makes his way into Holuba Hall for the first day of spring practice on March 13, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

What about at the corner spot, both starters, and critical depth?

“Coach Smith just is throwing out DBs, that’s all he does,” former All-Big Ten pick Amani Oruwariye said.

“John Reid’s going to do his thing and take off, Tariq’s going to have a spectacular year, and there’s going to be some young guys who step up.”

He also sees a bright future for Donovan Johnson once healthy.

“I mean, Donovan’s always done a good job, he just has to make sure he’s ready to go,” Oruwariye continued. “I’ve heard nothing but good things about the freshmen coming in, so hopefully they can come into the room and make some plays for us.”

Franklin was later very complimentary about the two freshman corners, Keaton Ellis and Marquis Wilson.

“I think the two corners, Keaton and Marquis [Wilson], are doing some good things,” Franklin said Wednesday. “The further away you are from the ball, receivers and corners, it helps with that (adjustment to college). But they’ve both been impressive.”

Penn State cornerback Keaton Ellis makes a leaping interception on a pass intended for wide receiver Dan Chisena during practice on March 20, 2019. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

“They’ve both got length," Franklin continued. "They’ve both got really good ball skills. I think that both of them were fairly high-level high school receivers really helps. They’re confident finding the ball in the air, and they’re not undersized. They’re fairly physical at this point. Those guys have flashed a lot of really good things. There’s a buzz and excitement with the players and coaches.”

At running back?

Brown ripped off a couple of nice runs during Wednesday’s practice, and he plus Ricky Slade are expected to carry the bulk of the load this fall.

January enrollee Noah Cain should factor, too.

“He’s blended really well with the guys,” Franklin said, “[with] this freshmen class as well as the old guy. He’s an old soul in his demeanor. Him and a lot of these guys, sometimes they put too much pressure on themselves early.

“There’s got to be a little patience, and I see flashes of really good things. It’s too early to say how much any of these guys are going to factor in in the fall.”

With the depth we have a WR and how dangerous they are, I wonder if we can just run an opponents defensive secondary into oblivion. By that, I mean we can parade an army of WR's to run deep routes all game. If they try to cover them with corners, the defense will have to go three deep to try and match our three deep WRs. If the S don't help, they are on an island. If they do, that opens the zone/read running game up. Instead of blocking, a WR will just draw the secondary out of the play.

I am not sure I've ever seen a college WR corp so deep. I don't follow all the college teams that closely but I have a hard time believing that many of our opponents can match up against our WR's. Throw in the talent at TE & RB and look out.

Reactions: bytir and 81b&w
With the depth we have a WR and how dangerous they are, I wonder if we can just run an opponents defensive secondary into oblivion. By that, I mean we can parade an army of WR's to run deep routes all game. If they try to cover them with corners, the defense will have to go three deep to try and match our three deep WRs. If the S don't help, they are on an island. If they do, that opens the zone/read running game up. Instead of blocking, a WR will just draw the secondary out of the play.

I am not sure I've ever seen a college WR corp so deep. I don't follow all the college teams that closely but I have a hard time believing that many of our opponents can match up against our WR's. Throw in the talent at TE & RB and look out.

I agree on paper (so far) the WR group looks deep, but still a little lite on experience and actual game production. By all reports Shorter is the real deal and is likely to break out this year. And with George, Dotson, CSB and Hippenhammer, plus the potential grad transfer there is loads of physical talent. And CJF has mentioned Chisena consistently. But really only Hamler is a proven WR. To have a great offense PSU needs 2 outside WR's to step up and catch the ball consistently and also win more than their share of 50-50 balls, the way ARob and Godwin did. Lots of potential so it will be interesting to see how these young WR's perform in the B/W game and who is on the 2 deep after Spring practice concludes, as well as the reports from Fall practice leading up to the 2019 season.

I agree on paper (so far) the WR group looks deep, but still a little lite on experience. By all reports Shorter is the real deal and is likely to break out this year. And with George, Dotson, CSB and Hippenhammer, plus the potential grad transfer there is loads of physical talent. And CJF has mentions Chisena consistently. But really only Hamler is a proven WR. To have a great offense PSU needs 2 outside WR's to step up and catch the ball consistently and also win more than their share of 50-50 balls, the way ARob and Godwin did. Lots of potential so it will be interesting to see how these young WR's perform in the B/W game and who is on the 2 deep after Spring practice concludes, as well as the reports from Fall practice leading up to the 2019 season.
totally agree...but that is college ball today. If you are good and experienced, you are currently prepping for the NFL draft. In addition, the secondary will have to account for not just our WR but also a (probable) AA TE, two other up and coming TE and some RB's who are going to be really good in space. Spread the defenses out, substitute feely and run their asses off the field. (and, please, don't take your foot off the gas). If one of the QBs steps up, this offense will compare with 2016 and 1994.

I've often thought about that. Send receivers long repeatedly in turns and wear the secondary down to start the game off, hmmn

Alabama consistently did this last year with a 5-6 deep WR rotation. Additionally, they had 2 really good pass catching TEs.

You can run your guys deep every down if you want, but you have to consistently complete the passes before it works strategically against the defense.

Right now, we don't have a PROVEN deep threat. Hell, we don't even have a QB cemented yet. Potential looks big. Just nothing definitive yet.

Reactions: 81b&w
While on the Wide Receiver topic...

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/in-their-words-receivers

In their words: Receivers

Nate Bauer • BlueWhiteIllustrated.com
@NateBauerBWI

Between Penn State's Pro Day Tuesday and Wednesday's media availability, early impressions out of spring practice have been plentiful this week.

Wednesday, we looked at Penn State's quarterbacks. Thursday, we tackled the running back position. And today, let’s move on to the receivers and how they’re being assessed moving forward this spring.

g0fcpclmdzkv7x2bst0y

Will Justin Shorter rise to become one of Penn State's reliable targets this season?
Nate Bauer/BWI
When former Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley met with the media following his Pro Day performance on Tuesday, he was given plenty of opportunities to dissect the position he was leaving.

A job up for grabs between the likes of Tommy Stevens, Sean Clifford, and Will Levis, one whose competition is likely to extend through the summer and into preseason camp, the passed baton at quarterback will undoubtedly be a critical component to Penn State’s future.

Yet, coming off a 2018 season in which Penn State’s offense took a step back, McSorley’s wide receiver targets were a primary culprit in that devolution.

Charged with 38 drops for the season, as opposed to 24 in 2016 or 26 in 2017, the Nittany Lions’ veteran receivers struggled. DeAndre Thompkins, Juwan Johnson, and Brandon Polk combined for 21 of those 38 drops, and following the season, Johnson and Polk transferred out to go along with the graduation of Thompkins.

What remains is a group McSorley has yet to wrap his head around, led by rising redshirt sophomore and the most veteran of Penn State’s returning receivers,

K.J. Hamler
“There are a lot of young guys. I was talking to K.J. It’s weird, you’re the old head now. And he’s just a redshirt sophomore,” said McSorley. “He’s taken that leadership role. Getting those guys going. The little I saw of them the other day,

Jahan (Dotson)
and
Justin (Shorter)
looked good. They looked smooth. Jahan looked a little faster. He was moving and making good catches. Both those guys have talent and a ton of potential.”

To no surprise, both Shorter and Dotson lined up alongside Hamler with Penn State’s first-team offense at the program’s partially opened practice session on Wednesday afternoon.

Having lined up against them as recently as the team’s bowl practices in December, safety Nick Scott ran through the gauntlet of Penn State’s options at the position.

“I think they're ready. Obviously, they still have a little bit more growing to do, but I would feel confident with those guys on the field if we have to play Ohio State today,” said Scott. “We've got some good talent. Extremely fast.

“Jahan Dotson is a guy that stands out to me a lot. Although we didn't see him probably as much as everybody would have liked to, he's extremely fluid. He's probably one of our more consistent receivers. He's got great hands, he's great at tracking the ball. We all know what K.J. can do.

Cam (Sullivan-Brown)
is a guy that is, I think, a sleeper wide receiver for our team. He's extremely athletic. He was a little banged up earlier in the season, which kind of held him off the field a little bit. But I've always been impressed with how he tracks deep balls and things like that.”

Worth noting, Sullivan-Brown appears to also be banged-up this spring as he was present, but did not participate, in Penn State's Wednesday practice. Further, returning receiver

Mac Hippenhammer
is spending the spring competing with the baseball program.

Continuing, Scott turned his attention to Shorter and the oft-cited knock on his true freshman season, marred both by a preseason injury as well as inconsistency at practice once he did return to full strength.

“Justin Shorter, he's a big-time receiver,” said Scott. “I just want to see consistency from him, which I think he'll get with more reps. Big, strong guy with speed.”

From Franklin’s perspective, those perceptions appear to be on track.

Initially pointing to the receivers as a position most in need of answering questions this spring during his pre-spring practice press conference, Franklin provided an update on the group’s progress after the team’s session on Wednesday.

“Receiver, those young guys are getting a bunch of reps. Justin Shorter at the end of the year really started to come on. Obviously, Jahan really did some good things for us. K.J. did some really good things for us.

Daniel George
, really starting to come on at the end of the season,” said Franklin. “So for Daniel and Justin, it's going to be really important that they continue to have a strong spring and go into the summer with confidence. I think we've got a pretty good group there, and now it's, who are those next guys that are going to step up that are either currently with us right now that we recruited and signed last year coming in as freshmen, or possibly some transfers.”

Whoever those players prove to be, the added caveat for the position is that new assistant coach Gerad Parker will have them under his watch, and he has been said to have made a strong initial impression.

“I think those (receivers), they're extremely ready,” said Scott. “They got a good wide receivers coach that I hear is really on his stuff, knows what he's doing, and is a good teacher. So you combine that with their ability and I think they'll be a big asset for our team next year.”

Reactions: ChiTownLion
.....“I think those (receivers), they're extremely ready,” said Scott. “They got a good wide receivers coach that I hear is really on his stuff, knows what he's doing, and is a good teacher. So you combine that with their ability and I think they'll be a big asset for our team next year.”....

These guys were coached last year by a guy who was originally hired to coach running backs. It would be great to see this group make big strides this year under our new guy. The benefits would be long lasting.

Reactions: BBrown

And Clifford had a bum shoulder that had kept him on the sidelines for part of the season, iirc. That’s why Xavier had five losses and still won the states behind Clifford. Once again, iirc. He’s a winner and loves to throw deep:D.

Reactions: 81b&w
https://victorybellrings.com/2019/03/24/penn-state-football-stevens-robinsons/

Penn State Football: Stevens career could mirror Robinson’s in final year

by Collin Wieder 8 hours ago Follow @CWIEDS10

For three seasons Tommy Stevens and Michael Robinson had to wait to lead Penn State football. Now, Stevens looks to mimic Robinson’s final year.

The parallels are hard to ignore in the Penn State football careers of senior quarterback Tommy Stevens and former starting QB Michael Robinson. The two signal callers played the backup QB role for three years and became key gadget players over their reserve times in Happy Valley. When Robinson did get his starting moment, he took it and ran with it to an 11-1, 2005 season and an Orange Bowl victory. Stevens will try to do the same, should he get the job in 2019.

One major thing that Stevens and Robinson have/had in their corners entering their final season was playing time. Robinson saw the field a whole lot more than Stevens, recording 451 offensive touches for 2,641 yards and 18 total touchdowns, but he was also needed a lot more during some below .500. seasons.

Still, Stevens logged 131 total offensive plays (76 rushes, 41 pass attempts and 14 catches) for 872 all-purpose yards and 14 total touchdowns. He did a fair amount of that production through the highly-publicized “LION” position while sitting behind arguably the greatest QB in the program’s history in Trace McSorley. No other QB on the roster in 2005 or entering 2019 brought that same level of experience.

I think the potential is there for a repeat of Robinson’s final season. The two QBs went through highs-and-lows. Robinson flashed his skill set and also went through team’s offensive struggles in two of his first three seasons – the team went a combined 7-16 in 2003-2004. Those difficult moments were important in the long run. He stayed composed on his way to an all-time great senior season.

Stevens proved he could play at an elite level multiple times too and flashed brilliance like in the Iowa game this past season where he kept the offense afloat while McSorley was out with an injury.

But, he had to be patient and sit as well, waiting in the wings while McSorley continued to shine. This is where it’s good to point out he was a solid, supportive teammate during McSorley’s career, which didn’t go unnoticed by his teammates I’m sure. But for any competitor, and Stevens certainly is that, they want to be on the field.

Just as Robinson sat behind Zack Mills, Stevens did the same. However, his one season at the helm can be as legendary as Robinson’s. Stevens has the athleticism, in-game experience, leadership, knowledge of the playbook and talent as a passerto take Penn State football on a great run like Robinson did.

Reactions: indynittany
ADVERTISEMENT