ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee

I'll disagree. Coach Cael, and many other coaches out there absolutely DO think about the individual. It is their job. Working with the wrestlers and their families on THEIR goals/needs, sometimes as an advisor and other times not, but always with the best interest of the student-athlete in mind, is their job. Team-first-and-only thinking leads to discord in the long run.
2015 is the perfect example of this. Redshirting Nico and Zain was best for them, it was not best for the team that season. Obviously worked out for everyone including the team in the subsequent seasons.

Balancing the needs of the individual and the team in any sport is very difficult to do. Going to be some interesting decisions in Ithaca and Iowa City regarding Olympic Redshirts. Particularly in Iowa City considering Ohio State and Penn State both lost a lot of proven talent, most likely making them the paper favorite for 2020.

I would argue that Cael was looking at what was best for the team in 2015. He was playing the long game and I think most would agree that it did work.

I did say in my initial post that you always hope the interest of the team and individual align and let's not confuse what is best for the athlete's "professional" vs. personal well being.

621f38fd955daee2859f802f06f97de4.jpg

Apparently the knee in that situation doesn’t need to be down to call the two, if something is obstructing it, according to the rules expert Pyles spoke too.

In that case I am throwing the brick every time and arguing that the billions of atoms in the air and dust constitute an obstruction and prevented the knee from touching. You can't argue with science :)

In that case I am throwing the brick every time and arguing that the billions of atoms in the air and dust constitute an obstruction and prevented the knee from touching. You can't argue with science :)
In that case you must be Kelly LeBrock because you are talking Weird Science. :)

Reactions: danoftw
Apparently the knee in that situation doesn’t need to be down to call the two, if something is obstructing it, according to the rules expert Pyles spoke too.
I did not know that was the rule, but I figured it had to be something like that because his knee definitely did not hit, but it looked like it was on top of Gilman's. Whether it would have touched without Gilman's leg in the way is up for debate, but the refs apparently figured it would have and so they called the two. However, it did look like Fix has passed Gilman up. If he gets the chance to wrestle him at Final X and beats him again, we can probably say he passed him up fairly confidently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT