ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like A&M is going to fire Sumlin..

I don't think Franklin will leave as long as he feels like the administration is committed to his vision and wants to win a championship. If he felt like they weren't committed to him then, yes, he would probably leave at some point.

I remember when some people here believed O'Brien was possibly a lifer and definitely wouldn't leave until at least Hack was gone. CJF is obviously more likely to stick around but it's far from a given.
If or when it does happen, PSU is a top-tier opportunity and there are a lot of good young'ish (late 30's early 40's) coaches out there who would be interested.

I don't think Franklin will leave as long as he feels like the administration is committed to his vision and wants to win a championship. If he felt like they weren't committed to him then, yes, he would probably leave at some point.

After the most recent contract negotiations I wouldn't be surprised if Franklin doesn't have some questions about the people for whom he works. Probably nothing serious, but it would be good if they disappeared.

After the most recent contract negotiations I wouldn't be surprised if Franklin doesn't have some questions about the people for whom he works. Probably nothing serious, but it would be good if they disappeared.
Compliance bureaucrats or AD's and their AAD's?

Only an ignorant yankee would post this.

1. College Station is not considered part of East Texas.
2. It is a tremendous college town with a beautiful campus and surrounded by country side.
3. I live on the NW side of Houston and actually can't wait to retire to the College Station area someday.
An ignorant Yankee who lives in a college town that’s about a billion times better - Austin. And you don’t have goofy yell leaders and corps members yelling at you to stay off the grass in Austin.

gni9jp48.jpg

This Yankee has been to College Station for a game. Nice campus. Great gameday atmosphere with memorable traditions, before, during and after the game. Though the area is certainly less green than the Northeast, there is a rustic beauty to College Station. I would expect alot of interest from some excellent coaches.
“Less green” is an understatement.

I’ve been through that area about 20 times. It’s in about the lowest decile or 2 of “beauty” in the 43 States I’ve traveled in.

If or when it does happen, PSU is a top-tier opportunity and there are a lot of good young'ish (late 30's early 40's) coaches out there who would be interested.

And all of them are calculated risks. We really do not want Franklin to leave.

And all of them are calculated risks. We really do not want Franklin to leave.

Ideally he stays. You're right. Franklin was my top choice when O'Brien left. I would be very interested to see what happens if he did leave though. I think we'd be the top choice for many coaches. Hopefully we don't find out but I think we'd be okay.

Ideally he stays. You're right. Franklin was my top choice when O'Brien left. I would be very interested to see what happens if he did leave though. I think we'd be the top choice for many coaches. Hopefully we don't find out but I think we'd be okay.
So you just choose to not pay attention or just want attention?

I don’t know sumlins story, but at some point he became a spread offense guru.

I think QBs are most obvious choices for offensive coaching, but there is no rule that says that offensive player equals offensive coach. There are other examples, but they are escaping me.
Joe Paterno....played qb in college, defensive genius as a coach.

Considering that they interviewed two candidates, it wasn't a hard choice. Good thing they didn't bat higher than .500 on that one.

I makes zero sense why Franklin's name would be mentioned for any college vacancy. It's not as though he's struggling at PSU and/or is at odds with the administration. My guess is any mention of Franklin can be traced back to a rival coach(es) whose name very likely is NOT being mentioned.

Why would Swinney’s name come up then?

Sadly no loyalty anymore, it’s about the green.

I remember when some people here believed O'Brien was possibly a lifer and definitely wouldn't leave until at least Hack was gone. CJF is obviously more likely to stick around but it's far from a given.

Huh? Admittedly i wasn't on this board at that time, but I literally did not know one person who believed Obrien was a lifer at PSU.

Reactions: psuro
Huh? Admittedly i wasn't on this board at that time, but I literally did not know one person who believed Obrien was a lifer at PSU.

Lots of people did here and in the Lions Den. Delusional people that believed he'd grow to love it here and this is a destination job for EVERYONE

I was on this board at that time and I don't remember a single poster who thought he was a lifer. In fact, it was the opposite.

I had countless fights with people over it. Trust me, they existed. Especially in the Lions Den's. Now they're all crazy homers but they believed that O'Brien would stay. That this is a destination job. That no one would leave it. You're giving our fan base far too much credit if you don't believe a portion said he'd stay forever. It really didn't matter who was hired--certain people will always believe that "Penn State is the best job" and no one would leave. I'm not saying it was a majority or even a large percentage but there were a bunch of them. It's not an opinion it's a fact.

I had countless fights with people over it. Trust me, they existed. Especially in the Lions Den's. Now they're all crazy homers but they believed that O'Brien would stay. That this is a destination job. That no one would leave it. You're giving our fan base far too much credit if you don't believe a portion said he'd stay forever. It really didn't matter who was hired--certain people will always believe that "Penn State is the best job" and no one would leave. I'm not saying it was a majority or even a large percentage but there were a bunch of them. It's not an opinion it's a fact.
You saying it doesn't make it a fact. I don't recall anyone who thought he would be a lifer. Everyone knew there would never be another Joe Paterno and they certainly didn't think O'Brien would be that guy. You're reaching trying to compare posters in terms of their arguments about O'Brien and Franklin. O'Brien's background is completely different and the two situations are apples and oranges.

You saying it doesn't make it a fact. I don't recall anyone who thought he would be a lifer. Everyone knew there would never be another Joe Paterno and they certainly didn't think O'Brien would be that guy. You're reaching trying to compare posters in terms of their arguments about O'Brien and Franklin. O'Brien's background is completely different and the two situations are apples and oranges.

O'Brien and Franklin are completely separate situations but the fact you can't acknowledge (unless you've honestly forgotten) that many here, despite obvious reports to the contrary, truly believed O'Brien was here for the long haul is frightening.

I guarantee if Franklin left after this year (which I don't see happening) most of the people currently saying he's a lifer would deny that in three years.

Saying it doesn't make it a fact--the fact it happened makes it a fact.

Hindsight is 20/20. A lot of people, during the time Bill O'Brien was hired, believed that this job was a destination and lifer opportunity. I don't remember many people actually thinking that we had hired our next 40+ year coach though. It was widely believed that BOB was NFL bound. I don't think it was expected after a 15-9 run over two seasons (looking back, this is fairly amazing).

O'Brien and Franklin are completely separate situations but the fact you can't acknowledge (unless you've honestly forgotten) that many here, despite obvious reports to the contrary, truly believed O'Brien was here for the long haul is frightening.

I guarantee if Franklin left after this year (which I don't see happening) most of the people currently saying he's a lifer would deny that in three years.

Saying it doesn't make it a fact--the fact it happened makes it a fact.
But you're the only one that remembers it- fact.

Hindsight is 20/20. A lot of people, during the time Bill O'Brien was hired, believed that this job was a destination and lifer opportunity. I don't remember many people actually thinking that we had hired our next 40+ year coach though. It was widely believed that BOB was NFL bound. I don't think it was expected after a 15-9 run over two seasons (looking back, this is fairly amazing).
Yes, the argument was that he wasn't going to leave yet, not that he was never going to leave.

Yes, the argument was that he wasn't going to leave yet, not that he was never going to leave.

I can ramble off names of people that said it--though they'll deny it now.
Those people stated that he'd stay (to honor his commitment to Hackenberg) then he'd understand that this was the place that he wanted to be. That no coach would leave this job. You're really telling me, knowing our fan base, that you don't think ANYONE thought this?

An 8-4 first year that was a transferred kicker away from being 10-2 seemed more like the opportunity for him to leave than the 7-5 where the sanctions and transfers were truly starting to become reality.

I can ramble off names of people that said it--though they'll deny it now.
Those people stated that he'd stay (to honor his commitment to Hackenberg) then he'd understand that this was the place that he wanted to be. That no coach would leave this job. You're really telling me, knowing our fan base, that you don't think ANYONE thought this?
It's possible, but I never saw anyone post that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT