ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like A&M is going to fire Sumlin..

Usually when a coach is fired, they typically go for someone who's strength is in a different area... like an offensive minded coach being replaced with a defensive minded coach. Let me see if I can think of someone who is defensive minded, has coached in Texas and within the traditional SEC footprint... icing on the cake if it will somehow upstand or pee off U of Texas... How about Charlie Strong?

Usually when a coach is fired, they typically go for someone who's strength is in a different area... like an offensive minded coach being replaced with a defensive minded coach. Let me see if I can think of someone who is defensive minded, has coached in Texas and within the traditional SEC footprint... icing on the cake if it will somehow upstand or pee off U of Texas... How about Charlie Strong?
the ironic part of your post is, Kevin Sumlin was a LBer in college.

Last edited:
Wonder who they have their eye on? Doubt Chip would want that much limelight.

aTm has already (ahem) hooked their big fish. Now, they just have to reel him in.

giphy.gif

I think there's a bunch of guys for Texas A&M. Jimbo Fisher and Dabo Swinney are obviously the dream with Fisher being slightly more realistic. Scott Frost probably stays in the state of Florida or goes to Nebraska so I wouldn't bet on him. Mike Gundy and Matt Campbell will likely be rumored. Same with Chad Morris. Lane Kiffin is going o get a big job sooner than later. Neal Brown could be a surprise. Franklin's name will obviously come up like Fisher and Swinney. Will probably happy at Tennessee too

IFranklin's name will obviously come up like Fisher and Swinney. Will probably happy at Tennessee too
I makes zero sense why Franklin's name would be mentioned for any college vacancy. It's not as though he's struggling at PSU and/or is at odds with the administration. My guess is any mention of Franklin can be traced back to a rival coach(es) whose name very likely is NOT being mentioned.

Reactions: BBrown and bohucon
I makes zero sense why Franklin's name would be mentioned for any college vacancy. It's not as though he's struggling at PSU and/or is at odds with the administration. My guess is any mention of Franklin can be traced back to a rival coach(es) whose name very likely is NOT being mentioned.

Good coaches will have their name come up often. It's not a negative thing. Just like Dabo's name will come up despite it being very unlikely he'd jump ship.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Good coaches will have their name come up often. It's not a negative thing. Just like Dabo's name will come up despite it being very unlikely he'd jump ship.
Not sure A &M isn't making a mistake. When you fire a coach that has had a winning season 9 out of 10 years and all 6 at A&M in the SEC you reap what you sow. Plus he is a great recruiter.

the ironic part of your post is, Kevin Sumlin was a LBer in college.

I don’t know sumlins story, but at some point he became a spread offense guru.

I think QBs are most obvious choices for offensive coaching, but there is no rule that says that offensive player equals offensive coach. There are other examples, but they are escaping me.

I don’t know sumlins story, but at some point he became a spread offense guru.

I think QBs are most obvious choices for offensive coaching, but there is no rule that says that offensive player equals offensive coach. There are other examples, but they are escaping me.
Not a head coach. But check Kevin Rogers. A LBer in coach. A QB coach in colllege and pros, including Donavan McNabb

I continue to be amazed that people talk about A&M like it is a job in the upper tier of college football. It's not. And hasn't been for 40 years. No coach having any success at an upper tier program is going there no matter how much they pay because the difference isn't wide enough.

I continue to be amazed that people talk about A&M like it is a job in the upper tier of college football. It's not. And hasn't been for 40 years. No coach having any success at an upper tier program is going there no matter how much they pay because the difference isn't wide enough.
I continue to be amazed that you, Lubrano and the rest of the A9 who reviewed the Freeh Report haven’t yet shared your findings with the PSU alumni. How long has it been? I’ve lost track.

Or want him out of their recruiting territory...looking at you Nardouchie and Kelly and those that are scared of what he and we will become in the BIG...looking at you Dantonio. I would include Harbaugh too but he's got his own set of problems to worry about right now. LOL.

So I guess Saban and Meyer must not be good coaches because their names never comes up. Maybe Mark Richt will be going to A&M....waiting on that rumor.

I think Sumlin should be on Nebraska short list if Frost doesnt take the job.

So I guess Saban and Meyer must not be good coaches because their names never comes up. Maybe Mark Richt will be going to A&M....waiting on that rumor.

Sabah and Urban are at their final job no matter what due to age and other circumstances. Richt too.

Franklin may or may not be. I won't be surprised if he jumps ship but I don't expect it yet. I think Franklin is comparable to Saban at LSU. It would take a hell of a lot to get him to leave. I highly doubt Franklin goes to A&M but you just never know.

Reactions: dbaguy
Sabah and Urban are at their final job no matter what due to age and other circumstances. Richt too.

Franklin may or may not be. I won't be surprised if he jumps ship but I don't expect it yet. I think Franklin is comparable to Saban at LSU. It would take a hell of a lot to get him to leave. I highly doubt Franklin goes to A&M but you just never know.
If you really look at all aspects, I would say Franklin is at his final job as well. He's a PA guy....some people, even coaches, actually do tell the truth. He's from PA working at one of the top jobs in the country....Meyer may jump before Franklin does.

Unrealistic expectations. Sumlin is 51-25 at A&M thus far. Not bad considering Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miss. St. in the same division. (It's about a .67 percentage, not too shabby). It's interesting that Nebraska is brought up, A&M reminds me of another Nebraska firing a coach that's regularly getting 8 win seasons and expecting that a coaching change will make that better. I hope it works out as well for A&M as it has for Nebraska.

Agree wholeheartedly but they have there hearts set on Scott Frost. Some reports have Sumlin going to Arizona State if Graham is let go.

I just don’t get Nebraska fan obsession with Frost. I know he’s a former player for them but he’s not exactly who I’d think of as top of the list for a major program’s new coach.

Looks like the Chipper is headed to UCLA probable with Florida a close second.

Saban and Franklin aren't exactly analogous. Saban did not go directly from one major college job to another, he had that abortive stint with the Dolphins, Franklin doesn't appear destined for the NFL and if he left for another major program he'd be the first HC to do so, at least within recent memory.

Chip Kelly in College Station would be as good of a fit as Yves st Laurent in Steubenville, Ohio.

There are some backass places in Texas, but that area of East Texas is particularly terrible - Cheddar’s is fine dining there

Maybe they will hire Reno Saccoccia.... Big Red always has success.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Chip Kelly in College Station would be as good of a fit as Yves st Laurent in Steubenville, Ohio.

There are some backass places in Texas, but that area of East Texas is particularly terrible - Cheddar’s is fine dining there

Only an ignorant yankee would post this.

1. College Station is not considered part of East Texas.
2. It is a tremendous college town with a beautiful campus and surrounded by country side.
3. I live on the NW side of Houston and actually can't wait to retire to the College Station area someday.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I just don’t get Nebraska fan obsession with Frost. I know he’s a former player for them but he’s not exactly who I’d think of as top of the list for a major program’s new coach.

Because alums always seem to get the little extra boost from the fan base ie...Golden and Munchak here before Franklin was hired its one of those if they played here they understand the culture so to speak or passion of the program.

Because alums always seem to get the little extra boost from the fan base ie...Golden and Munchak here before Franklin was hired its one of those if they played here they understand the culture so to speak or passion of the program.

Yeah, I can appreciate that. I remember some here who were focused on Golden and Munchak back then but it wasn’t the majority of the board and there were many who had other opinions.

Scanning the Nebby site a few days ago it seemed like Frost was the only acceptable candidate. There didn’t seem to be much debate or different camps for different coaches. Everyone wanted Frost like he was the next Nick Saban.

Yeah, I can appreciate that. I remember some here who were focused on Golden and Munchak back then but it wasn’t the majority of the board and there were many who had other opinions.

Scanning the Nebby site a few days ago it seemed like Frost was the only acceptable candidate. There didn’t seem to be much debate or different camps for different coaches. Everyone wanted Frost like he was the next Nick Saban.

I have kinda heard one thing about Frost is he capable putting together a Power 5 caliber coaching staff around him which is one i think he isnt Florida's #1 choice but at Nebraska that might be such a as big of deal because of conference and division they play in

Reactions: psu00
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe at Franklin's age this is final job. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm not a fan of a coach staying in one place for 15+ years with few exceptions. Like Patty Fitz will be at Northwestern for 30-35 years but they don't have dreams of winning titles and he'll keep them competitive so it's a great fit

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe at Franklin's age this is final job. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm not a fan of a coach staying in one place for 15+ years with few exceptions. Like Patty Fitz will be at Northwestern for 30-35 years but they don't have dreams of winning titles and he'll keep them competitive so it's a great fit
I think CJF tales the east stroudsburg job once Denny douds retires

Only an ignorant yankee would post this.

1. College Station is not considered part of East Texas.
2. It is a tremendous college town with a beautiful campus and surrounded by country side.
3. I live on the NW side of Houston and actually can't wait to retire to the College Station area someday.
This Yankee has been to College Station for a game. Nice campus. Great gameday atmosphere with memorable traditions, before, during and after the game. Though the area is certainly less green than the Northeast, there is a rustic beauty to College Station. I would expect alot of interest from some excellent coaches.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
I remember when some people here believed O'Brien was possibly a lifer and definitely wouldn't leave until at least Hack was gone. CJF is obviously more likely to stick around but it's far from a given.

Texas A&M is a top tier job...facilities & money. Someone will want it. Here's a dark horse....Kevin Wilson...things ended badly at Indiana but the man can coach. Someone will take a shot on him sooner or later. Just like Kiffin,

Reactions: Sooner Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT