ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, but CJF is a perennial 9-3/10-2 coach!

No its Franklin and Yurchich's fault that the backup QB was totally unprepared.
one thing i did not get. why was he trying long passes? did they think iowa would be caught off guard?

clearly he was a running threat and showed it in one drive. the long passes were wastes of time

many here remember a history that never was
Ain’t that the truth! And it’s not just PSU, college football has changed. A high percentage of teams are in the same boat…they’re never going to be a consistent playoff contender. There’s a few elite teams, a group of good teams, a group of average teams, and a group of bad teams. The best most schools can hope for is to get into the good group and we’re there. It takes a whole lot more than a coach to get a team into the elite group which is why there’s only about three teams in that group (I don’t count Oklahoma and Clemson is iffy because they benefit from playing in a really poor conference). Put some of the teams that have made the CFP (like Oklahoma and ND) into the Big East and they wouldn’t have made it either.

Ain’t that the truth! And it’s not just PSU, college football has changed. A high percentage of teams are in the same boat…they’re never going to be a consistent playoff contender. There’s a few elite teams, a group of good teams, a group of average teams, and a group of bad teams. The best most schools can hope for is to get into the good group and we’re there. It takes a whole lot more than a coach to get a team into the elite group which is why there’s only about three teams in that group (I don’t count Oklahoma and Clemson is iffy because they benefit from playing in a really poor conference). Put some of the teams that have made the CFP (like Oklahoma and ND) into the Big East and they wouldn’t have made it either.
Come on. JoePa was 609-20 and we won 32 NC. 🙄

Come on. JoePa was 609-20 and we won 32 NC. 🙄

as if 2000-2004, 2006-2007, and 2010 never happened. we were barely a top 25 program for most of a decade even before sanctions

Franklin has revitalized the program quickly. it's a tough process

No its Franklin and Yurchich's fault that the backup QB was totally unprepared.
Do Franklin and Yurchich get any credit for being up 17-3? Why don't you tell us how to prepare a back-up qb to engineer 5 drives from inside his own 10, on the road, against the #3 team in the country! So, I am assuming you go to PSU practices and can tell us how many reps the back up can get in a 2hr and 30 minute practice....

Reactions: chuckrup
Do Franklin and Yurchich get any credit for being up 17-3? Why don't you tell us how to prepare a back-up qb to engineer 5 drives from inside his own 10, on the road, against the #3 team in the country! So, I am assuming you go to PSU practices and can tell us how many reps the back up can get in a 2hr and 30 minute practice....
Yes, they do, but the game is 60 minutes. The TEAM gained 50 yards on 46 plays after SC went out with 37 minutes of play left. Everyone on this board should be ticked at that. And I dont think its that much to ask of my #4 ranked team to have a competent backup QB that can come in and make a significant impact.

Yes, they do, but the game is 60 minutes. The TEAM gained 50 yards on 46 plays after SC went out with 37 minutes of play left. Everyone on this board should be ticked at that. And I dont think its that much to ask of my #4 ranked team to have a competent backup QB that can come in and make a significant impact.
SBarbour@PSU.edu...btw...the competent backup is now at Kentucky. Roberson is a 3rd team QB. When you get the job, make sure your 3rd team QB can handle the job on the road..

Reactions: Shadow99
Slam me all you want to, but JF will always find a way to lose games he shouldn’t.
He’ll never make the playoffs.
This program will never make the playoffs with him as coach.

Anyone care to disagree?
Give me Luke Fickel, Jeff Hafley, Matt Campbell, or Mark Stoops as replacements if CJF goes to USC. We can only pray.

First, let me say that I am a James Franklin fan. For all of you who continually bash Franklin, what would you be saying this morning if Clifford didn't get hurt. Anyone can say "what if" but if Clifford doesn't get hurt we win that game easy. Joel Klatt was even starting to suggest as much during the game yesterday. So if Clifford stays healthy and we beat the #3 team on the road probably by a substantial margin, does that make Franklin the right coach?
I have said it before, but those of you who don't like Franklin, the plays that are called, etc., etc., then go cheer for another team. Maybe you should be an Alabama fan, then you would be happy most of the time, but you would probably still find something to complain about today.

Slam me all you want to, but JF will always find a way to lose games he shouldn’t.

Anyone care to disagree?
Good gawd…losing by 3 on the road in a hostile environment with your inexperienced backup QB for most of the game. Sheesh…give it a rest.

Except that being ranked #4 was based on the performance of the starter...

Does LSU win the national championship a couple years ago if Joe Burrow went down with an injury his senior year instead of his rookie year in the NFL? Would it be "bad coaching" if they didn't?...LSU was still plenty talented without Burrow...but it is unlikely that they would have won.

Yeah the oline cost us the rose bowl against USC and the blown leads against OSU and making Don Brown look like a genius in Ann Arbor. That’s Franklin’s ass puckering Occam.
Those are the major reasons as to why he's not as highly sought after by other schools as the media would have you believe.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Bottom line. There are those that are happy with 4-5, 8-5 and a couple of 11-2 seasons every once in a while. Then there are the winners. Who expect Penn State to compete for B1G Championships every year. There honestly should be two boards. One for those that expect Penn State to be a top 10 team year in and year out. And one for those that are happy with 8-5 type seasons.

Reactions: scrivener
Agreed about the OC hire and SC still in there. My biggest complaint with this team over the last few years is the terrible Offensive line play. Inconsistent blocking, inability to open a hole in a critical time, rarely dominant to seal a game, and just thoroughly frustrating. I'm thankful I witnessed their last NC in Tempe in 1987, because I just dont see this guy putting it all together for another one.
O line play is a head scratcher, they pass block pretty well, but run blocking is another story all together. While the game has changed, it yet remains the same in the fact that if you can run, stop the run and have solid special teams, you have a chance to be successful..

Bottom line. There are those that are happy with 4-5, 8-5 and a couple of 11-2 seasons every once in a while. Then there are the winners. Who expect Penn State to compete for B1G Championships every year. There honestly should be two boards. One for those that expect Penn State to be a top 10 team year in and year out. And one for those that are happy with 8-5 type seasons.
How often do we have 8-5 seasons post sanctions. We flirt with the top ten as much as anytime in the last 35 years as a program. There’s probably 115 teams of the 130 that would trade places with where PSU is as a program. There’s literally 3 teams that fit your description and one of them is 3-2 and the other list to an unranked opponent last night.

My expectations are looking like they belong on the field with OSU most of the time and having a shot at the playoffs every few years if they can catch a few lucky breaks. I think it’s the ceiling of the program in this era and Franklin has consistently achieved it.

Yeah that one puzzles me too. Maybe some football experts on here can explain, how can an OL do fine with pass blocking and be totally incompetent with run blocking?
Ask the Dolphins the whole time they had Marino.

We’ve never been what you’re expecting even with the winningest coach of all time.

Anyone care to disagree?
That is what they said about Ferentz for decades..
They were dumb asses, too.

Yep, no question. I expect to compete for B1G titles.

Last year happened but it was a weird throw away year IMO. Remove that, 11 wins, 11 wins, 9 wins, 11 wins. However Sooner and others equate that to being 8-5 almost every year. That is some crazy math.

Last year happened but it was a weird throw away year IMO. Remove that, 11 wins, 11 wins, 9 wins, 11 wins. However Sooner and others equate that to being 8-5 almost every year. That is some crazy math.
I stand corrected.

What has held PSU back (since the resurgence of 2016) is that every year, they have to play OSU. OSU has not lost more than one regular season conference game during that stretch. In this conference, in this division, two losses are a death knell. You can almost pencil in a loss to OSU at the beginning of the year, but then, there is always one more. And that is maddening.

Franklin goes to USC, assuming his recruiting prowess remains the same, he will have an easier time of winning the conference, but not sure if that will relate to getting into the CFP.

But if he is a perpetual 10-2 coach, that makes him 83% winner. Joe was not that in his first several years.

The QB situation is disappointing, but you can't blame any of the kids for leaving, although I am not sure if Bowens sees the field at OU as QB. Having multiple OCs over the years has not helped PSU.

The hope will be that Clifford gets rest, as this bye week has come at the right time. Get TR more reps with the 1's. Get him into the game earlier against Illinois. (I don't really see that as being an issue).

If PSU had any kind of run game, it would have made the transition to the backup much more palatable.

*sigh*

When was the last time that Joe had 11 wins in three out of four years? (or 10 wins, if you adjust for the number of games)
To Joe’s credit he always kept us good with some periods of greatness, but some people have revisionist history thinking that we had a championship caliber run for 50 years.

Reactions: Nitt1300
We still control our own destiny to win the BIG. We won it in 2016. We were a bad 4th quarter from beating OSU in 2017 and 2018. We have went to NY6 bowls in 2016, 2017, and 2019. Given where the program was when he came I would say that is impressive.

When was the last time that Joe had 11 wins in three out of four years? (or 10 wins, if you adjust for the number of games)
3 out of 5: 05, 08, 09. Not 3 out 4 but not bad, especially considering many (most?) thought he should have retired at least 10 years earlier.

Reactions: mn78psu83
There is very little reason that PSU or Michigan could not be on the same level as OSU. It's just a matter of changing the perception so the 5* recruits that are now flocking to OSU are choosing another school first. It wasn't really that long ago that OSU wasn't all that intimidating. Franklin may be able to pull it off. Harbaugh may be able to pull it off, too, but Franklin seems closer.
I don't think so. He's not Saban, he doesn't have the same level of commitment to the football program that an OSU or Clemson does, and he doesn't have the NIL opportunities that come from being in big cities like OSU, Texas, and USC, and even Washington. It's a second tier school based on the current environment and Franklin has them consistently performing at the upper limits of that second tier.

To Joe’s credit he always kept us good with some periods of greatness, but some people have revisionist history thinking that we had a championship caliber run for 50 years.

Until the Paterno dark years, there was a stat that every kid who played for him either went undefeated or played for a Natty. For like 30 years. That's a pretty good championship caliber run, no?

Until the Paterno dark years, there was a stat that every kid who played for him either went undefeated or played for a Natty. For like 30 years. That's a pretty good championship caliber run, no?
I don’t think that’s true…87-93 comes to mind 95-99 without even looking back too far. If you do count the dark years that’s 95-2011. So one team fits that description (1994) from from 1987-2011. There were good competitive seasons in there but the point stands we were never modern day Alabama and OSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
See my prior comment: “there lies the crux” JF will ALWAYS be the bridesmaid, but never the bride.
If you get rid of him, there’s no ensuring the next guy will be any better.
So, we’re stuck with him!
He wins 8-10 games a year on talent and talent alone.
I can live with 10 wins per year and a nice bowl trip. 50 other P5 schools would be thrilled to have that.

perennial 9-3/10-2 = JoePa

it's where this program has been for 30 years

the late 60s/early 70s were the exception not the norm
Are you forgetting the 80s…I went to home games for years and never saw a loss…and two straight championship games and 3 in 5 years…plus a 1981, team that was better than all of them. And the greatest CFB offense in college football history in 1994?

I don’t think that’s true…87-93 comes to mind 95-99 without even looking back too far. If you do count the dark years that’s 95-2011. So one team fits that description (1994) from from 1987-2011. There were good competitive seasons in there but the point stands we were never modern day Alabama and OSU.
Bama dominance did not happen until the rules basically give you the same 4 playoff teams every year out of 6 teams.

Our best chance is to look to be like ND…independent schedule. Trying to get by O$U as long as Day is there will be tough…unless we want to try and pay at their level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT