ADVERTISEMENT

Something no one is talking about: is Sparty "back"?

vcrindc

May 29, 2001
San Diego, CA
Is Sparty back to being the playoff team they were just a few years ago?

I know they were awful last year, but was that just a blip on the radar?

I know we have Michigan this weekend, but wondering what you think?

Nowhere close to the playoff caliber team they were, & believe that will be borne out as the balance of season plays out.

Reactions: WestSideLion
No. The win against michigan is going to continue to look less impressive.

Definitely are improved, and hope they continue. Have to beat the best to be the best. Just my 2 cents.

Playoff team? Really? Umm....no.

No. They aren't good that's for sure.

They struggled against a not very good Minnesota team. My pictorial game summary...

gd4.jpg

bailing-bucket-e1442981646842.jpg

sunken-rowboat-picture-id171068032

Last edited:
Reactions: gr82baspartan
Sparty will get their chances in the toughest division in College FB. I doubt they beat tOSU or PSU, but they've put themselves in a good position.

No, the Michigan win looks less impressive and they beat a bad Minnesota team. Middle of the pack, at best.

Credit their W in Ann Arbor but if O'Korn is not O'LottaTurnovers, MSU loses that one be two scores.

Their D is still pretty solid (it actually as last year), but offensively they're average at best. I actually think Indiana beats them this weekend.

Credit their W in Ann Arbor but if O'Korn is not O'LottaTurnovers, MSU loses that one be two scores.

Their D is still pretty solid (it actually as last year), but offensively they're average at best. I actually think Indiana beats them this weekend.
MSU had turnover issues vs ND (fumbled while going in for a TD and threw a pick 6) so that works both ways.

Just curious what Indy unit are you expecting to outperform MSU to propel them to victory?

I think MSU is "back" to their default mode of being a good but not great program. They'll have some years where they compete for a conference title but most of the time will be something like 8-4 and decent and a threat to beat anyone on any given Saturday.

Reactions: NedFromYork
MSU had turnover issues vs ND (fumbled while going in for a TD and threw a pick 6) so that works both ways.

Just curious what Indy unit are you expecting to outperform MSU to propel them to victory?

IU basically played Michigan to a draw. Michigan and MSU was tight throughout in spite of Michigan coughing it up 5 times.

It’s not like there’s some huge gap between IU and MSU. Both have decent defenses and average at best offenses.

IU basically played Michigan to a draw. Michigan and MSU was tight throughout in spite of Michigan coughing it up 5 times.

It’s not like there’s some huge gap between IU and MSU. Both have decent defenses and average at best offenses.
Cool. I'm a Spartan and was curious on your take since you played IU and I've only seen bits and pieces of them.

Cool. I'm a Spartan and was curious on your take since you played IU and I've only seen bits and pieces of them.

I wasn't really trying to downplay MSU this year. Are they as bad as the final score vs. ND? Doubtful....but also not sure how much to take from the Michigan game given that UM's offense has struggled against basically everyone and the conditions made it hard for either side to try to open up the game.

IU presents some difficult matchups for teams. Their D is very aggressive and secondary, if healthy, is one of the better units in the conference. Offensively, there's talent there but Ramsey is playing like a talented freshman going through growing pains. If MSU gets into games against the better half of the schedule where their D struggles, I just don't know if they can outscore teams.

Good program, not great. They will be tough, like Iowa. Like anybody- real tough in their own building.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT