ADVERTISEMENT

So what is Clifford's injury?

Liam is there, Sean is not…
Does this surprise anyone?
  1. It's a practice during a bye week.
  2. Franklin knows this is a practice open to the media and given his nature to keep a lid on injuries, would he really have Clifford out there?
Admittedly, I'm in the camp that his injury is fairly serious and he's gone for the season or at least 4+ weeks but I'm also a pessimist by nature but those 2 reasons alone are enough not to believe he'd be visible at practice.

FWIW:

Source - Franklin has some team unity issues to address this week. Some on the team miffed Clifford didn't try to play through whatever pain he was having.

Me - isn't the decision to play at that point in the hands of medical staff?

Source - I'm just telling you what was relayed first hand to me.
This is total bullshit. Sean is the same guy that played his senior year of high school with a painful torn labrum and lead his St X team to an Ohio State championship.

This is total bullshit. Sean is the same guy that played his senior year of high school with a painful torn labrum and lead his St X team to an Ohio State championship.
You guys are funny, guys on this team don't care what he did in high school, they needed him Saturday. They knew from the start of the season the back up qb's can't get it done.

Last edited:
Right. Ask Gronk what happens when you try to play with broken ribs. Tough guy went back into the game and found out he had a punctured lung after the game and he's been out for weeks. Luckily it wasn't worse.

Or what happened to former PSU player Ryan Keiser after breaking ribs

Reactions: tlbakernc
You guys are funny, guys on this team don't care what he did in high school, they needed him Saturday. They knew from the start of the season the back up qb's can't get it done.
You’re an idiot. Per Franklin, Clifford “is doing all he can to get back.” But somehow he was supposed to make it back on Saturday. If Clifford was good to go Saturday, he would have probably practiced today. But hey, you have a negative narrative you want to push.

You’re an idiot. Per Franklin, Clifford “is doing all he can to get back.” But somehow he was supposed to make it back on Saturday. If Clifford was good to go Saturday, he would have probably practiced today. But hey, you have a negative narrative you want to push.
Don’t you know the fans deserve these kids to risk their lives to play for our entertainment….we deserve a win at all cost.

That's fine. But DT is really thin too. Did they feel the same about PJ?

Or what happened to former PSU player Ryan Keiser after breaking ribs

I know the family well. The news article doesn’t cover half of what he and his family went thru. Out of respect for the family I won’t get into details.

Reactions: Sharkies
Right. Ask Gronk what happens when you try to play with broken ribs. Tough guy went back into the game and found out he had a punctured lung after the game and he's been out for weeks. Luckily it wasn't worse.
A) we don't know Clifford has broken ribs. They could be bruised or cracked. Or something totally different.

B) You realize TE (Gronk) and QB are two very different positions, right?

A) we don't know Clifford has broken ribs. They could be bruised or cracked. Or something totally different.

So you're saying he should have sucked it up and played through it?

Franklin has not ruled him out for season, so I think that would rule out a fracture that is so severe it needs to be reset and can cause other injuries (i.e., a break similar to what Gronk suffered). The reality is there is not a huge difference between severely bruising the bone or a hairline fracture resulting from flexing the bone.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
I know the family well. The news article doesn’t cover half of what he and his family went thru. Out of respect for the family I won’t get into details.

Either way I'm sure that weighed on the mind of Franklin and the medical staff when deciding on Clifford's status for the rest of the game, especially on the road without the medical equipment they'd need to confidently make an on the spot decision.

Last edited:
Either way I'm sure that weighed on the mind of Franklin and the medical staff when deciding on Clifford's status for the rest of the game, especially on the road without the medical equipment they'd need to confidently make an on the spot decision.

Look, it doesn't matter if the bone was fractured to the point where it needs to be reset... or was just severely bruised... or was a hairline fracture that didn't require "setting".... the notion that Clifford could have continued playing after the latter 2 is just laughable imho. I severely bruised my sternum (center bone on rib cage) in a sports-related injury in HS (wrestling) - they didn't prescribe anything except rest and inactivity to allow the bone to heal without aggravation. But there is no way I could have participated immediately after, or for weeks, following the injury because the pain level is just too high - and it doesn't matter how tough you are, your nerves will simply shut the body's muscles down beyond a certain pain level (for the good of the body as a whole). No way could Cliff have played after that injury if it was bruised ribs or a hairline fracture from flexing - just could not have physically played, as impossible. Have you ever gotten a severe stinger in your shoulder where your arm loses all real strength and you can't even raise it above a certain level? This happens for the identical reason - the pain is so severe even if you try to use the arm, the body's nerves (i.e., brain and central nervous system) shut the arm muscles down (ditto a severe back spasm). No way Cliff could have played if he did that kind of damage to his ribs regardless of what all these lame internet-warriors are trying to claim.

Franklin has not ruled him out for season, so I think that would rule out a fracture that is so severe it needs to be reset and can cause other injuries (i.e., a break similar to what Gronk suffered). The reality is there is not a huge difference between severely bruising the bone or a hairline fracture resulting from flexing the bone.
Pretty sure you can't "reset" a rib. Most broken ribs just heal their own and you try to do the right things to protect them. You can't "set" and/or cast a rib.

Look, it doesn't matter if the bone was fractured to the point where it needs to be reset... or was just severely bruised... or was a hairline fracture that didn't require "setting".... the notion that Clifford could have continued playing after the latter 2 is just laughable imho. I severely bruised my sternum (center bone on rib cage) in a sports-related injury in HS (wrestling) - they didn't prescribe anything except rest and inactivity to allow the bone to heal without aggravation. But there is no way I could have participated immediately after, or for weeks, following the injury because the pain level is just too high - and it doesn't matter how tough you are, your nerves will simply shut the body's muscles down beyond a certain pain level (for the good of the body as a whole). No way could Cliff have played after that injury if it was bruised ribs or a hairline fracture from flexing - just could not have physically played, as impossible. Have you ever gotten a severe stinger in your shoulder where your arm loses all real strength and you can't even raise it above a certain level? This happens for the identical reason - the pain is so severe even if you try to use the arm, the body's nerves (i.e., brain and central nervous system) shut the arm muscles down (ditto a severe back spasm). No way Cliff could have played if he did that kind of damage to his ribs regardless of what all these lame internet-warriors are trying to claim.
Obviously you have your experience with a bruised sternum, but I had all of my ribs broken in my 20s and while movement was quite painful, it was not impossible. Two weeks later I could definitely have thrown a football and that's without cutting edge rehab.

Pretty sure you can't "reset" a rib. Most broken ribs just heal their own and you try to do the right things to protect them. You can't "set" and/or cast a rib.

Pretty sure they can "pin" a rib if the fracture is severe enough to where it is fully shattered.

It’s amazing that with the 100’s of people involved in the football program that his injury hasn’t leaked out yet. All it takes is one player to tell his girlfriend, brother, parent, etc and it’s out there.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT