ADVERTISEMENT

So what is Clifford's injury?

If he has broken ribs, not only is it very painful, but there is a danger of puncturing a lung, or even the liver. The treatment is time (about 6 weeks) and pain medication.

Reactions: step.eng69
Doesn't look like a concussion. He's walking the sidelines. Ribs?

If nothing is broken or torn, he needed to be out there. That's what leaders do when the team needs you. I'm sick over this loss. We were far better than Iowa. They won on an injury. Sux!

He had numbers 7 and 8 ribs broken in his back.

It’s painful for awhile but he can play eventually. The bye week will help.

Chill. No need to act a fool. What I said stands. Yes, the Medical staff makes the call but if tests reveal no significant injury, do you really think they tell him he can't go out there and play in th he biggest game of the year?
Can’t you see that the only fool in this discussion is you, the person who is accusing Clifford so not being tough enough and enough of a leader to play despite his injury. How embarrassing for you.

Based on the hit and how his arm was hanging walking off the field and his shoulder was drooping I am thinking 1. broken collarbone, 2. separated shoulder or 3 torn/sprained rotator cuff. All three are not good and likely means he is done for the year.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
I'm leaving the thread/post up because I'm gonna own what I said. Truth is nobody knows what type of injury Clifford has and I know I'm not alone in thinking that a) the hit didn't look that bad. b) Clifford didn't look like a guy that wouldn't return when going to the locker room and c) he didn't have any obvious signs of a serious injury while on the sideline in the 2nd half.

I'm frustrated by the loss because we would have blown them out if Clifford hadn't gotten hurt. I'm also frustrated by not knowing what caused Clifford to leave the game.

I'm leaving the thread/post up because I'm gonna own what I said. Truth is nobody knows what type of injury Clifford has and I know I'm not alone in thinking that a) the hit didn't look that bad. b) Clifford didn't look like a guy that wouldn't return when going to the locker room and c) he didn't have any obvious signs of a serious injury while on the sideline in the 2nd half.

I'm frustrated by the loss because we would have blown them out if Clifford hadn't gotten hurt. I'm also frustrated by not knowing what caused Clifford to leave the game.
Why would be possibly not want to come back? He was having a big game. It’s one thing to not come back if you’re playing bad, but he was rolling.

It's definitely nothing to do with his shoulders or arms. At one point in 4th QTR, they showed Clifford on sideline with his fingers interlocked and hands behind his head (with both elbows staight out to side) - in the classic "frustration" pose. Absolutely no way it's any kind of problem in his shoulders or collar bone - no way. Could be a bruised spleen (can't be ruptured spleen as he would have gone straight to hospital). Still say it's almost certainly his ribs - either bruised or broken.

It's definitely nothing to do with his shoulders or arms. At one point in 4th QTR, they showed Clifford on sideline with his fingers interlocked and hands behind his head (with both elbows staight out to side) - in the classic "frustration" pose. Absolutely no way it's any kind of problem in his shoulders or collar bone - no way. Could be a bruised spleen (can't be ruptured spleen as he would have gone straight to hospital). Still say it's almost certainly his ribs - either bruised or broken.
You may be right about the spleen. When he was going off to the locker room they had a shot of him rubbing his lower right back area.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
You may be right about the spleen. When he was going off to the locker room they had a shot of him rubbing his lower right back area.
Except the spleen is on the LEFT side(assuming no situs inversus).

Reactions: psu00
He simply felt overwhelmed, it happens.

Please. This was not a Gabby Douglas moment. He didn't have the spins/yips/etc and was stepping aside to let someone more capable compete like she did.

Last edited:
Here’s what I think and I may be wrong. Since the tackle was textbook, clean and on the soft side, Clifford may have come into the Iowa game with an injury from a previous game.

Reactions: bytir
One thing is sure: of the injuries many describe here, there is one that would / could leave a person looking “uninjured” while the others would likely have some sort of mitigation (or leaving the stadium for a hospital).

That one is broken ribs. Broken does not necessarily mean snapped bone either. It could be ripped cartilage for the ribs that are held in that manner. You CAN wrap the chest but it doesn’t do much. Often nothing is doneYou can walk around totally normal but just wait until you have to twist…or get out of bed. You may as well be taking a sword to your affected area.

Spleen is completely the wrong area of the body for what he was doing on the way thru the tunnel. Go watch a ski/snowboard terrain park and see what a spleen injury looks like. 😳

So we could say we have a clue….but, who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionsandBear
Everything stated here is pure conjecture. Unless there is a statement from Franklin or the team physician as to the nature of the injury, then everything else is a guess. As far a a bruised kidney (renal contusion) is concerned, that diagnosis would need a CT scan to confirm and I doubt the stadium facility at Iowa has one. Sure, if Clifford had blood in his urine (hematuria) when he went into the locker room, then a renal contusion would be a consideration, but I doubt we would have seen him on the sideline afterwards. So there goes that theory.

Everything stated here is pure conjecture. Unless there is a statement from Franklin or the team physician as to the nature of the injury, then everything else is a guess. As far a a bruised kidney (renal contusion) is concerned, that diagnosis would need a CT scan to confirm and I doubt the stadium facility at Iowa has one. Sure, if Clifford had blood in his urine (hematuria) when he went into the locker room, then a renal contusion would be a consideration, but I doubt we would have seen him on the sideline afterwards. So there goes that theory.
Great points. And oh by the way, thank you for adding even more speculation. I mean, absent of real facts, that’s what we do here… we speculate.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Doesn't look like a concussion. He's walking the sidelines. Ribs?

If nothing is broken or torn, he needed to be out there. That's what leaders do when the team needs you. I'm sick over this loss. We were far better than Iowa. They won on an injury. Sux!
It should be a bad injury for him to miss the rest of that game. Look how Texas A&M QB played when he could barely walk. Clifford didn't appear to be in pain on the sidelines in the second half, but you can't make a judgment based on that.

Great points. And oh by the way, thank you for adding even more speculation. I mean, absent of real facts, that’s what we do here… we speculate.
I didn’t add to the speculation. The bruised kidney was raised by someone else above. I was attempting to show why that was not a likely scenario considering what little facts there are. QB hurt, goes into the locker room and then seen later walking the sidelines.

Here’s what I think and I may be wrong. Since the tackle was textbook, clean and on the soft side, Clifford may have come into the Iowa game with an injury from a previous game.
When a 300 pound guy falls on you, it’s never soft. I know of a work comp claim where a guy fell off a step ladder into grass and landed wrong, broke his back and is paralyzed for life. Should have been a “soft” landing situation, but his body hit the wrong way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT