ADVERTISEMENT

So sitting at a restaurant and they are showing

For the 2015-16 season 32+ million fans watched mens basketball. Only 11+ million watched the women. Dominance by a handful of programs does little to increase the gate.

For the 2015-16 season 32+ million fans watched mens basketball. Only 11+ million watched the women. Dominance by a handful of programs does little to increase the gate.

They should lower the hoops. If women were able to make the same kinds of exciting plays at the rim, it would do a lot for the game. We don't expect women's volleyball to play on the same height nets as men or that sport would suffer too.

Of course, every park/gym in the country has only one height of hoop and they aren't going to replace them all with adjustable baskets so this will never happen.

Reactions: fairgambit
Is the talent pool so thin that once UConn scoops up the cream each year there's not enough talent left for anyone else?

There are dominate programs in every sport, but heck, even Alabama loses a football game every once in a while. UConn never loses and it's usually never close.

Is the talent pool so thin that once UConn scoops up the cream each year there's not enough talent left for anyone else?

There are dominate programs in every sport, but heck, even Alabama loses a football game every once in a while. UConn never loses and it's usually never close.

Dunno. Do women have better options? Height could be a barrier to entry. My guess is tall athletic girls would rather play volleyball (no data, just a guess). And, there's tennis, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, track/field, swimming, softball, etc. that are options as well. It's crushingly boring to watch - I know that.

Dunno. Do women have better options? Height could be a barrier to entry. My guess is tall athletic girls would rather play volleyball (no data, just a guess). And, there's tennis, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, track/field, swimming, softball, etc. that are options as well. It's crushingly boring to watch - I know that.

It's exciting if it's your school doing all the winning.

I'm guessing the uconn women draw good crowds for home games.

They do, but not all home games are played in Storrs. Many of their games are played in Hartford, a larger city to draw from. I have friends in the Hartford area that go to the games there.

I'd say the athleticism of women's bball players and women's volleyball players isn't close with basketball being far superior.

Despite what people think on this board, Women's volleyball isn't a very big sport. Not even close to women't basketball. Not every H.S. even offers it.

Track and Field, well there's something to that potentially being a lure for athletes.

Tennis runs on a completely different system. Not sure competitive tennis players ever get the chance to try anything else.

LdN

I'd say the athleticism of women's bball players and women's volleyball players isn't close with basketball being far superior.

Despite what people think on this board, Women's volleyball isn't a very big sport. Not even close to women't basketball. Not every H.S. even offers it.

Track and Field, well there's something to that potentially being a lure for athletes.

Tennis runs on a completely different system. Not sure competitive tennis players ever get the chance to try anything else.

LdN

Ok.

As a HS coach, good womens teams are what the kids should watch, not the elite mens college teams. While the athleticism is not the same, the basics of the game and fundamentals are better. Mens game doesnt have motion offenses or generally box out and carry the ball non stop. Womens game they do and this is what 99% of hs kids who will never play above hs need to learn.

AS far as with Geno and UConn, it cant really be that fun in my opinion when you win every game by 50

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT