ADVERTISEMENT

So many D ends

I am just keeping it real. Is Parsons on the roster? You might as well count the next two QBs and say PSU has too many QBs on the roster too.

You're a troll.

4b5228f476a13f023e30147a1eb70f4a.jpg

The only ways I see him moving to LB is either dire need, or he can't put on enough weight. Putting on weight/muscle is why he wants to RS.

They are not moving him to LB. They will move up one of the safeties just like OB did. It is not rocket science. They have been thin at LB for 4 years now. Where have you been?

It wouldn't shock me to see a switch to the 3/4 in the near future. The distribution (position wise and age) of talent on the roster screams odd front.

Reactions: zzangeneh
I WANT TO ASK KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE QUESTIONS ABOUT PENN STATE FOOTBALL

I don't think so. You are here to let us know how smart YOU are.

If you really wanted knowledge all you would have to do is follow the team and you can see their plan. The staff has already said they like a little flexibility. They like to move athletic DEs to DT and big Safeties to LB so they have speed and cover ability.

The team has been thin at LB for about 4 years now. OB had to move SOA to LB. The current staff has 5 legit LBs. If they need more then it will be a mix of Allen, MIller, Petrishian, Farmer, Walker, Smith and Johnson. You will probably be crying about it the whole time.

It wouldn't shock me to see a switch to the 3/4 in the near future. The distribution (position wise and age) of talent on the roster screams odd front.

Has Franklin done this in the past? With so many DE's and thin LB / DT it seems like it would make sense. Has anyone asked him about it?

Doubt it. Losing a few targets was not part of their plan. Plan A does not always work out.

You're a troll.

4b5228f476a13f023e30147a1eb70f4a.jpg
He's not even a very good one.

PSU currently has:

DE on roster:

Schwan
Sickels
Brown
Miller
Bucholz
Simmons
Joseph
(and Schwan is the ONLY one who is out of eligibility in 2016)

Guys who could/should/might be at DE:

Givens
Carter
Cam Brown
Cothran
Thrift

And two "verbals" at DE already for 2017

Of all the positions on the field, PSU probably has better depth at DE than anywhere else......and would have even more if they didn't have to rob the DE spot to find some depth for DT.

ZWICK is a whole 'nuther level of stupid.

They are not moving him to LB. They will move up one of the safeties just like OB did. It is not rocket science. They have been thin at LB for 4 years now. Where have you been?

Man, you don't know ALOT.

He's not even a very good one.

PSU currently has:

DE on roster:

Schwan
Sickels
Brown
Miller
Bucholz
Simmons
Joseph
(and Schwan is the ONLY one who is out of eligibility in 2016)

Guys who could/should/might be at DE:

Givens
Carter
Cam Brown
Cothran
Thrift

And two "verbals" at DE already for 2017

Of all the positions on the field, PSU probably has better depth at DE than anywhere else......and would have even more if they didn't have to rob the DE spot to find some depth for DT.

ZWICK is a whole 'nuther level of stupid.

You are not too bright either. "Guys whould could/should/might be at DE." WTF? YOu mean guys could can play DT or LB(Brown)? Carter is over 300 and not fast enough to play DE. He was never going to be a DE. The staff also said Givens would be a DT the day they signed him.

Schwaan might be the only 5th year senior but there are three others who will be in their 4th year.

Has Franklin done this in the past? With so many DE's and thin LB / DT it seems like it would make sense. Has anyone asked him about it?
The LAST thing you would do with a roster like this is switch to a 3-4.

With a 3-4 to work well, you need an abundance of guys like Zettel - - - maybe a little light for a NT/DT, but quick and athletic enough to play on the wing.

Those are exactly the types of guys (more or less your prototypical 3-technique DT) that we DO NOT have enough of.

Along with - of course - 2 or 3 guys on the roster who could play the NG spot. Which generally requires a 310+ pound "low to the ground" space eater.....which, again, is something we DO NOT have.

With this roster, you have to go 4-3....try to rotate the young, undersized DTs enough to at least keep them fresh...at take your chances.

Do you think he planned on going two years without a scholarship punter and kicker too?

You are not too bright either. "Guys whould could/should/might be at DE." WTF? YOu mean guys could can play DT or LB(Brown)? Carter is over 300 and not fast enough to play DE. He was never going to be a DE. The staff also said Givens would be a DT the day they signed him.
You're an idiot.

Stop digging. (just a suggestion)

With a 3-4 to work well, you need an abundance of guys like Zettel - - - maybe a little light for a NT/DT, but quick and athletic enough to play on the wing.

Those are exactly the types of guys (more or less your prototypical 3-technique DT) that we DO NOT have enough of.

Along with - of course - 2 or 3 guys on the roster who could play the NG spot. Which generally requires a 310+ pound "low to the ground" space eater.....which, again, is something we DO NOT have.

With this roster, you have to go 4-3....try to rotate the young, undersized DTs enough to at least keep them fresh...at take your chances.

Now you agree with me.

I disagree. They have plenty of guys that could play end and outside linebacker in an odd front. Chavis will arrive shortly. He looks like a 0/1 technique. White plays passing downs.

I don't know what they are going to do but the roster says they should consider it. That is all I am saying.

I disagree. They have plenty of guys that could play end and outside linebacker in an odd front. Chavis will arrive shortly. He looks like a 0/1 technique. White plays passing downs.

I don't know what they are going to do but the roster says they should consider it. That is all I am saying.
What they could/should do is ALWAYS debatable.......

But, I'll say this.......I will lay 20-1 against PSU operating out of a 3-4 base defense this year, and take all the action you want to put down :)

Aren't guys like Bucholtz, Givens, and Kam Carter guys who are too light for NT/DT and quick enough to play on the wing?

What they could/should do is ALWAYS debatable.......

But, I'll say this.......I will lay 20-1 against PSU operating out of a 3-4 base defense this year, and take all the action you want to put down :)

I am not talking about this year, I looking at 2017 and further down the road.

I am not talking about this year, I looking at 2017 and further down the road.
"Further down the road" meaning when there is an entirely different roster (ie 4+ years from now)?.....perhaps. WTFKnows what the roster will look like 5 years form now.

But no time in the near future, that's for sure. The requisite bodies are not on the roster at all right now - not among the veterans, not among the underclassmen.

I was playing golf in the wind and cold, or I would have tried to do this before some here melted down....

Most would agree that the roster should have 7+ scholarship DE's on it, with at least 5-6 playing in any given year.

2016 Season:
Schwan - 5th Year Senior
Sickels - 4th Year Junior
Brown - 3rd Year Soph
Miller - redshirt freshmen
Buchholz - redshirt freshmen
Carter - redshirt freshmen (projected to DT a while back, but still listed as a DE)
Simmons - True freshmen, who wants to redshirt but probably more than likely to play
Joseph - True Freshmen
Costagna (walkon) 2nd Year Soph
Summary: If Carter stays at DE we have 8 scholarship DE's for 2016, with at least 7 playing (i.e. of scholarship DE's that already used their redshirt plus a walkon)

2017 Season:
Sickels - 5th Year Senior (potential to leave after 2016 season for NFL)
Brown - 4th Year Jr
Miller - redshirt Soph
Buchholz - redshirt Soph
Carter - redshirt Soph (projected to DT a while back, but still listed as a DE)
Simmons - Redshirt freshmen or True Soph
Joseph - Redshirt freshmen or True Soph
Matos- True Freshmen
Barber- True Freshmen
Costagna (walkon) 3nd Year Jr
Summary: If Carter stays at DE and Sickels comes back for his 5th year we have 9 scholarship DE's for 2017, with at least 8 playing (i.e. scholarship DE's that already used their redshirt plus a walkon)

2018 Season:
Brown - 5th Year Sr (potential to leave after 2017 season for NFL)
Miller - redshirt Jr
Buchholz - redshirt Jr
Carter - redshirt Jr (projected to DT a while back, but still listed as a DE)
Simmons - Redshirt Soph or True Jr
Joseph - Redshirt Soph or True Jr
Matos- Redshirt freshman or True Soph
Barber- Redshirt freshman or True Soph
Parsons - True feshman
Costagna (walkon) 4th Year Sr
Summary: If Carter stays at DE and Brown comes back for his 5th year we have 9 scholarship DE's for 2017, with at least 8 playing (i.e. scholarship DE's that already used their redshirt plus a walkon if he is still on team in 2018).

NOTES:

1. Carter is listed on the current PSU official roster as a DE, although he seems to have DT size.
  2. There is still the possibility of another DE being added to the 2017 or 2018 classes, for example Kaindoh in 2017 which would add another DE playing at least by 2018.
  3. Cothran and Givens look to be DT for the duration of their careers. They are both near 280 and have been projected by CJF to be 290+ by August.
  4. Some believe Brown and Toney are candidates to play DE later in their careers. I do not believe Toney has DE size and he is plenty quick to play LB, a position of need. Brown has a bigger frame, but I expect him to stay at OLB as well.
It looks like we have plenty of DE's now and thru at least 2018 season. Whereas we don't have enough LB's, so I would think the staff will evaluate some of the incoming DE recruits with the speed to play LB for their potential to switch to LB. Simmons for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzangeneh
"Further down the road" meaning when there is an entirely different roster (ie 4+ years from now)?.....perhaps. WTFKnows what the roster will look like 5 years form now.

But no time in the near future, that's for sure. The requisite bodies are not on the roster at all right now - not among the veterans, not among the underclassmen.

Disagree 100%

I think that is VERY likely, FWIW

Yep, but the issue is that 16-18 year olds generally get bigger and sometimes faster, and not smaller/quicker, so having bigger framed athletes that project to B10 DE's play LB is not common. It' probably more likely that a big Safety such as Farmer would make the transition to LB more easily, although Farmer isn't the best example so far.... and I don't see many other current DB's, maybe Miller, that look to have the frame and body type to make the switch, other than to play some star in obvious passing situations.

Not sure I get the point of the discussion. The scheme can and should adjust to get the best athlets on the field as much as possible. So yes, DEs can take some of the load at LB, and so can safeties. But don't underestimate the athletes recruited at LB. If Bell and Wartman can rehab successfully, they'll be in very good shape at LB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT