ADVERTISEMENT

So Iowa throws out...

Looking back at the record -- how Jason did as a RS FR against returning AAs and guys who placed that year:
4-1 over Brascetta (2nd match of the year)
18-7 and TF 5:19 over Walsh
F 2:50 over Minotti
7-3 and 11-3 over Smith
TF 6:14 over Murphy

And for good measure, he teched Berger too.
Looking back at the record -- how Jason did as a RS FR against returning AAs and guys who placed that year:
4-1 over Brascetta (2nd match of the year)
18-7 and TF 5:19 over Walsh
F 2:50 over Minotti
7-3 and 11-3 over Smith
TF 6:14 over Murphy

And for good measure, he teched Berger too.

That has been the mantra since he committed to Ohio State. But the argument is not valid when you realize that Gavin had his own demons his senior year of recruitment. A District 11 coach told me he was shocked PSU recruited Teasdale by some of the stories that were known by the wrestling community his last year at Jefferson Morgan.
Sasso's problem were prior to his Senior year.
A footnote: I believe I saw Sammy received Academic Honors last year.
This topic is so stale.

Good for him that he's doing well. Water under the bridge.

By no means does Sasso have the offense and the overall ability that Nolf had, which was truly special.
But he will be a handful for anyone. Sammy will get better creating opportunities to score. He always liked to hit his moves from his feet, which is much harder to do in college.

Reactions: fronk71
This topic is so stale.

Good for him that he's doing well. Water under the bridge.
This forum starts to slot High School sophomores into the future lineup and that is the norm. It also relives all the great accomplishments Penn State has had over the last 10 years. I reflect on prior history and it's" water under the damn".
I know there was huge disappointment when Lee chose Iowa and that was revisited throughout his first 2 years at Iowa. So are my thoughts any different than the PSU fans from the West side of the state that saw Lee during his career.
I have been consistent in my opinion about Sasso since he was in his junior year for Nazareth. I thought he would be a really good recruit for Penn State.
For all the negative comments posted about Sammy to validate why he wasn't recruited, I think I have the right to say "I told you so".
Probably wrong on my part, but definitely wrong on all those that critiqued the kid.
Maybe Verk beats him and everyone can rebuke my comments.
I'm done for now on this subject.

Last edited:
Sometimes I question whether than bar that Lee runs in legal/PD. Them BTN lights and cameras make it look like a wing.

This forum starts to slot High School sophomores into the future lineup and that is the norm. It also relives all the great accomplishments Penn State has had over the last 10 years. I reflect on prior history and it's" water under the damn".
I know there was huge disappointment when Lee chose Iowa and that was revisited throughout his first 2 years at Iowa. So are my thoughts any different than the PSU fans from the West side of the state that saw Lee during his career.
I have been consistent in my opinion about Sasso since he was in his junior year for Nazareth. I thought he would be a really good recruit for Penn State.
For all the negative comments posted about Sammy to validate why he wasn't recruited, I think I have the right to say "I told you so".
Probably wrong on my part, but definitely wrong on all those that critiqued the kid.
Maybe Verk beats him and everyone can rebuke my comments.
I'm done for now on this subject.
You're not celebrating past accomplishments, you're trying to revise history. Sasso chose his school. It's over.

And, yes, I think he will be very good. I think he can be a national champ -- maybe even this year if things break right. That doesn't change anything for him any more than it does for Lee.

FYI, I pushed back on Spencer Lee Regret too. Lee chose Iowa, period. Sasso liked Ohio State from the beginning, and only conjecture puts in him blue/white. Both would be significant upgrades to our lineup. Oh well.

Also FYI: there are kids from my high school, whose parents I grew up with, who wanted to attend PSU but Cael declined to pursue. One was ranked #1 nationally at his weight for 2 years. Another was a college AA and lost only 1 career match vs. PSU. I would've loved for them to go to PSU, and especially be spared the pain that comes with rejection, but that's life. They took other paths and I'm happy for them. Whether or not those were the correct decisions for PSU, really doesn't matter at all.

Last edited:
And this year’s first annual Callthestall Award for being right all along goes to ... Callthestall!

:)
I'm done venting, where do I pick up the trophy. Let's give Iowa a good dual and beat them in March
You're not celebrating past accomplishments, you're trying to revise history. Sasso chose his school. It's over.

And, yes, I think he will be very good. I think he can be a national champ -- maybe even this year if things break right. That doesn't change anything for him any more than it does for Lee.

FYI, I pushed back on Spencer Lee Regret too. Lee chose Iowa, period. Sasso liked Ohio State from the beginning, and only conjecture puts in him blue/white. Both would be significant upgrades to our lineup. Oh well.

Also FYI: there are kids from my high school, whose parents I grew up with, who wanted to attend PSU but Cael declined to pursue. One was ranked #1 nationally at his weight for 2 years. Another was a college AA and lost only 1 career match vs. PSU. I would've loved for them to go to PSU, and especially be spared the pain that comes with rejection, but that's life. They took other paths and I'm happy for them. Whether or not those were the correct decisions for PSU, really doesn't matter at all.
Well said.
As I mentioned I know a kid that was recruited by PSU but chose to go to another PA University partially because of the offer. Who's to say Sasso would of even chosen to attend.

Reactions: fronk71
I posted 2 years ago how I would take Sasso over Teasdale if I had to pick one PA kid . I got beat up for it. Actually I had numerous people say they would take Verk over Sasso.
I think a few of you found satisfaction when Sammy got decked early this year. Sasso is very simaler to Nolf at this stage of his career. Not as good offensively, but tougher to score on.
I wish PSU had him.

Nolf was a point scoring machine in his redshirt freshman year. Sasso isn't.

Nolf was a point scoring machine in his redshirt freshman year. Sasso isn't.
I totally agree with you. Nolf was willing to take chances and had ability to get out of a problem. Sasso has toned down his high flying act. Maybe coaching philosophy is part of that. Cael and staff are proponents for attempting to generate the offense.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I totally agree with you. Nolf was willing to take chances and had ability to get out of a problem. Sasso has toned down his high flying act. Maybe coaching philosophy is part of that. Cael and staff are proponents for attempting to generate the offense.
Tom Ryan is also a fan of lots of points—but his idea of encouragement is screaming at his kids when they aren’t pressing for bonus. They had a mic on him most of the match—it was rough listening during Moore’s match—brought back memories of his aneurysm in Rec 2 years ago.

But I agree, I think if Sasso had come to Penn State, he might be a different wrestler today.

I know this thread became the official Iowa-Ohio St thread, but just to reiterate it was incredibly LAME of Brands to sit Murin and Warner. Same goes for Tan Tom sitting Heinselman.

The larger issue, again, is that wrestling seems to incentivize benching top guys in regular season competition. Is there another sport where this happens?

That has been the mantra since he committed to Ohio State. But the argument is not valid when you realize that Gavin had his own demons his senior year of recruitment. A District 11 coach told me he was shocked PSU recruited Teasdale by some of the stories that were known by the wrestling community his last year at Jefferson Morgan.
Sasso's problem were prior to his Senior year.
A footnote: I believe I saw Sammy received Academic Honors last year.

Academic honors at ohiya state is like being awarded ‘good behavior’ from a prison and claiming you’re now a pillar of the community

I know this thread became the official Iowa-Ohio St thread, but just to reiterate it was incredibly LAME of Brands to sit Murin and Warner. Same goes for Tan Tom sitting Heinselman.

The larger issue, again, is that wrestling seems to incentivize benching top guys in regular season competition. Is there another sport where this happens?

We have no idea what is going on with the guys who sat out last night. Murin has a big shoulder brace. The seeding criteria doesn't punish people sitting, so that doesn't help. I do believe Warner was sick or hurt because he had everything to gain and nothing to lose seed wise against Moore.

Is it ok to forfeit the Big 10 finals?

How does wrestling encourage sitting guys? I don;t understand that argument. Losing a match to the #1 kid in the country will NOT hurt your seeding in the post season. Ducking them might by hurting your SOS. JMHO.

I don't see the need for binary clarity on this issue. I simultaneously really felt bad for Myles last year that he didn't get a chance to properly win B1Gs in his final run, and at the same time felt Cael and Shak made the best decision they could. Should Shak have gotten a lower seed as a result? That's certainly debatable. But the "right decision" is all about whose behalf you are acting on. If Murin and Warner have injuries, or illness, I'd probably rest them the week before the biggest home dual of the year too. Doesn't mean it served fan interest best, but fans will complain about anything anyway....

You don’t see the difference between a B1G finals match and a dual that was never in doubt.
You make my point for me. Regular season competitions should have more value, whether the outcome is in doubt or not. Again, hard to "grow the sport" when good wrestlers regularly sit. JMO.

Major health issues are a different story, of course. Are you suggesting both Murin and Warner have major health issues? Is this your claim?
So if you have major health issues, it’s ok to compete until you face a superior opponent? Is that your claim?

So if you have major health issues, it’s ok to compete until you face a superior opponent? Is that your claim?
My claim is that when you are wrestling with a torn ACL, you might make different decisions about competing than if you had a minor, nagging injury. I don't think that distinction is outlandish at all.

You make my point for me. Regular season competitions should have more value, whether the outcome is in doubt or not. Again, hard to "grow the sport" when good wrestlers regularly sit. JMO.
RBY, Cenzo and Brooks have each sat in duals against Illinois and Northwestern, but believe what you will.

Looking for some opinions from non-Hawk/OSU fans on the 2 no takedown and locked hands calls in the Lugo match.

I was at Carver and have not watched any replays yet, but my in match thoughts were this:

The td at the end of regulation was close, but was not surprised that it was waved off.

I thought that the cradle in ot was for sure 2, but maybe I am not understanding a rule in that situation that makes it not a td?

I didn't have a good angle for the locked hands, so no opinions on that.

I am curious as to your thoughts on the calls.

Looking for some opinions from non-Hawk/OSU fans on the 2 no takedown and locked hands calls in the Lugo match.

I was at Carver and have not watched any replays yet, but my in match thoughts were this:

The td at the end of regulation was close, but was not surprised that it was waved off.

I thought that the cradle in ot was for sure 2, but maybe I am not understanding a rule in that situation that makes it not a td?

I didn't have a good angle for the locked hands, so no opinions on that.

I am curious as to your thoughts on the calls.

I think the cradle would have been called a TD as soon as Lugo was able to pop his own head out . . . but he wasn't able to do so.

You don't see the difference between trying to wrestle with a torn ACL and a minor nagging injury? Oh well.

The only difference is that he’s a PSU guy and that’s your team, I have no doubt that you would be extremely upset if it was to happen the other way around. You seem to have an agenda the past week with your threads and posts on everything related to Iowa so I don’t necessarily expect you to have any self-awareness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT