ADVERTISEMENT

So, are the starting LBers for 2018...

I feel like having a true freshman (regardless of his talent) start in the middle is asking a lot. Has there been a recent precedent for this?

Middle - Micah Parsons
Sam - Koa Farmer
Will - Cam Brown*

***Manny Bowen if not Kicked Off Team

I'd expect Ellis Brooks to be very much in the equation. He was 13th ranked MLB last year and has had a year to settle in. I think the mike LB was probably the single thinnest position on the roster for depth but seem to have two studs to rely on now, although very young.

I feel like having a true freshman (regardless of his talent) start in the middle is asking a lot. Has there been a recent precedent for this?
In the mid-2000s when PSU had a run of outstanding LBs, if they played as freshmen it would be on the outside before moving to Mike. Guys like Poz, Connor and Lee (I don't believe Bowman ever played Mike?!) and later Mauti. Anyone know the last time PSU played a freshman at Mike (either true of RS)?

Reactions: CappyToCJF
Middle - Micah Parsons
Sam - Koa Farmer
Will - Cam Brown*

***Manny Bowen if not Kicked Off Team

and there is Jarvis Miller if healthy I think we like to forget that RS freshmen are not really freshmen too. Now if Luketa, Parsons or Tarburton comes in and starts at Mike then we have a true freshman starting, If it is Ellis.. He is a sophomore.... with the 3.5 year graduation goal and red shirting PSU fans have to reinvent our understanding that in all positions but OL and Perhaps QB we are gonna see what we think are youngsters start.

I'd expect Ellis Brooks to be very much in the equation. He was 13th ranked MLB last year and has had a year to settle in. I think the mike LB was probably the single thinnest position on the roster for depth but seem to have two studs to rely on now, although very young.
I agree on Brooks. Kid got rave reviews from teammates and coaches for his performance on the scout team. I suspect Parson's will elevate the competition at MLB this off season. May the best man win. I expect these 2 could play either box LB position.

and there is Jarvis Miller if healthy I think we like to forget that RS freshmen are not really freshmen too. Now if Luketa, Parsons or Tarburton comes in and starts at Mike then we have a true freshman starting, If it is Ellis.. He is a sophomore.... with the 3.5 year graduation goal and red shirting PSU fans have to reinvent our understanding that in all positions but OL and Perhaps QB we are gonna see what we think are youngsters start.
Was Jarvis Miller injured? Stats say he played in 8 games with 10 tackles (5 week 1 vs. Akron). I would have expected to see more of him after Bowen went out unless the staff didn't think he was ready.

Remember Brooks l
Was Jarvis Miller injured? Stats say he played in 8 games with 10 tackles (5 week 1 vs. Akron). I would have expected to see more of him after Bowen went out unless the staff didn't think he was ready.

He was injured.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
They better have enough gas to last 4 quarters....Penn State would be on a 22-game winning streak right now if they could have put ANY pressure on Darnold, Barrett, and Lewerke in the 4th quarter.

Could have blitzed more, but the DE's were not winning any battles vs oh-high-ya's OT's in the 2nd half and that was the issue...

Parsons at MLB might be more of a developmental move. If he actually plays LB, I would bet it’s eventually WLB. I am not sure how big Parsons is right now, but between him, Tarburton and Luketa, I would bet we have the biggest true freshman LB’s in CFB.
These guys are at the upper size limit for college LB’s now. Sometimes, guys can maintain or even shave off a few pounds from their freshman weight with Exhibit A being Jason Cabinda.

But he played in 8 games. Was he out for the last 4 when Bowen was out?

He's listed on the Fiesta Bowl depth chart as 3rd team SAM LB behind Farmer & Brown.
He did not play against MSU. He played against Rutgers and Nebraska. He did not play in the last game of the season vs Maryland.

I think the experiment with Micah at MLB will be short lived. With his talents and skills he needs to play in space a la Lavar Arrington. OLB is a perfect fit for him if the staff wants him at Linebacker.
Would agree more IF we had other, better options at MLB. Somebody else may step up, but Parsons might join Shamar Finney, Dan Connor, Paul Posluszny, & Sean Lee as guys who were perhaps a better fit on the outside, but who were put in the middle because we need at least ONE stud inside around whom we can build a dominant defense.

That may be MP, at least for now

Last edited:
Would agree more IF we had other, better options at MLB. Somebody else may step up, but Parsons might join Shamar Finney, Dan Connor, Paul Posluszny, & Sean Lee as guys who were perhaps a better fit on the outside, but who were put in the middle because we need at least ONE stud inside around whom we can build a dominant defense.

That may be MP, at least for now
Don’t sleep on Ellis Brooks. I wouldn’t be surprised if ends up being a 4 year starter.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Here’s the best list I can create of “ box “ LBer’s we are likely to have on our 2018 roster :
MLB : Brooks, Cooper, Johnson ( PWO ), Parsons ( ? , true Fr. ), Tarburton ( true Fr. )
WLB : Brown, Cooper, Franklin ( ? RS Fr. ), Chizmar ( PWO ), Luketa ( true Fr. )

Farmer is big enough at 240 to play anywhere, but has been playing mainly SLB,
Bowen is questionable.
Faison - Walden was expected to play SLB, but might be big enough for WLB.

So, there are bodies, but not much experience, especially if Bowen is off the roster. It is very helpful that three freshman LB propspects are enrolling in January.
If Bowen returns, we’ll probably be better off at LB than we were in 2016 despite the inexperience.

Could have blitzed more, but the DE's were not winning any battles vs oh-high-ya's OT's in the 2nd half and that was the issue...

They couldn't get there on the blitz either and because they weren't getting there with 4 they had to bring the blitz. Then they were getting beat in the secondary. Trickle down effect, thought it was more apparent vs MSU, absolutely brutal. Then the Allen late hit on last drive of MSU game coming on blitz when he couldn't get there in time.

Think Bowen is done, just reading tea leaves. This is a serious suspension and the 2nd time. JF talked about really a need for LB depth. If Bowen coming back while still a need don't think its nearly as glaring. Bye bye to Manny.

They couldn't get there on the blitz either and because they weren't getting there with 4 they had to bring the blitz. Then they were getting beat in the secondary. Trickle down effect, thought it was more apparent vs MSU, absolutely brutal. Then the Allen late hit on last drive of MSU game coming on blitz when he couldn't get there in time.
I still have to wonder if Toney is too small to play DE or if he's just too young. Also have to wonder once again if he is an option at LB next year. After all, we could have Brown, Buchholz, Simmons, and Miller back at DE.

Think Bowen is done, just reading tea leaves. This is a serious suspension and the 2nd time. JF talked about really a need for LB depth. If Bowen coming back while still a need don't think its nearly as glaring. Bye bye to Manny.
I wonder why it would have been announced if he was done for sure. If the prblem i academics CJF might be giving him the fall and spring semesters to get straightened out. If it's drugs I think the decision would have been made by now. Do we know if he's been allowed to practice with the scout team?

Toney was our most disruptive DE not named Miller. Losing Buckholz and Brown in the thick of our schedule hurt a lot, but it will pay dividends in '18. Additionally, Simmons and YGM both improved as the year went on with the additional playing time. Don't think he is an option at LB nor was he ever. The depth at DE is probably why Parsons is being put at MLB first. Cabinda blitzed a lot and with Parsons speed, he'll be a wrecking ball.

I dont think pressure was an issue, I think we have some holes in some of our coverages, specifically our Cover 4 or quarters coverage. The underneath guys are the problem, and it is not necessarily their fault, the coverage is asking alot. Watch this play vs USC in the rose bowl and ask who is covering the middle of the field? I think the LBer is suppose to have the middle, almost like a " Tampa 2" coverage, but he is late getting there. If 40 had just slid over and bumped the receiver at the LOS they dont have a play. Watch, and the watch the replays after the xp.

now OSU runs essentially the same play, vs the same defense, cover 4 or quarter coverage (look how wide the deep safeties are). This time, OSU uses play action and watch 43, his eyes go into the backfield with the run fake,if he instead, he had just slide over and hit the receiver as he runs by, we get a sack. I think 43 job was to control the deep middle ala 31 in the above clip, but 43 is influenced by the run fake. I think when they draw this coverage up, they have to tell the LBer responsible for the deep middle, he doesnt have run responsibility not fair to ask him to do both. I think OSU did a good job of breaking down the Rose Bowl game as evidenced by them running this play.

Reactions: 83wuzme
The last true freshman to see significant time at a Box Linebacker position at Penn State was - IIRC - Dan Connor.
(Cabinda saw a bit of time as well - not nearly as much as Connor - but that was a depleted linebacker group in 2014)

I believe he started several games at what would be considered a Will type spot on the current team, and maybe got some time at the Mike as well (of course, at the time, Penn State played a more traditional base 4-3).
But Connor was a tremendously developed prospect coming in - with extensive experience at the inside backer spots. He also, IIRC, was a January enrollee.

Box Linebacker (particularly the Mike spot - which at most programs, including Penn State, has primary responsibilities for communicating adjustments) is the toughest spot for any Freshman to acclimate to on the defensive side.
Could Parsons play a role there in 2018? Maybe, but it would be a very rare case.

I'm agreeing with you more & more, Barry. It feels gross....but I digress.

I more or less expect Parsons to lineup at different positions to rush the passer or set the edge. I'd be very surprised if he started at Mike linebacker, at least in the first half of the season.

I am hopeful that progress at DE will take pressure off of the OLB's. We were ragged there last year with young DE's and OLB's. Cabinda and the DT's will be missed and that is a huge area of concern next year as we play two solid ground game teams in UM and Wiscy.

Hopefully, we can get a pass rush from our DE's and blitz less. This would also help our young CB's who will be challenged in man schemes during blitzes.

I don't think James Franklin has announced his defensive starters for 2018.

I dont think pressure was an issue, I think we have some holes in some of our coverages, specifically our Cover 4 or quarters coverage. The underneath guys are the problem, and it is not necessarily their fault, the coverage is asking alot. Watch this play vs USC in the rose bowl and ask who is covering the middle of the field? I think the LBer is suppose to have the middle, almost like a " Tampa 2" coverage, but he is late getting there. If 40 had just slid over and bumped the receiver at the LOS they dont have a play. Watch, and the watch the replays after the xp.

now OSU runs essentially the same play, vs the same defense, cover 4 or quarter coverage (look how wide the deep safeties are). This time, OSU uses play action and watch 43, his eyes go into the backfield with the run fake,if he instead, he had just slide over and hit the receiver as he runs by, we get a sack. I think 43 job was to control the deep middle ala 31 in the above clip, but 43 is influenced by the run fake. I think when they draw this coverage up, they have to tell the LBer responsible for the deep middle, he doesnt have run responsibility not fair to ask him to do both. I think OSU did a good job of breaking down the Rose Bowl game as evidenced by them running this play.

both of those plays are cover 2, not cover 4. The only reason the Corner is downfield is bc there is no one underneath and he stay with the man. the base coverage in both is cover 2

both of those plays are cover 2, not cover 4. The only reason the Corner is downfield is bc there is no one underneath and he stay with the man. the base coverage in both is cover 2
okay you want to call it cover 2 fine, the question remains, who controls the middle of the field? Looks to me in both plays, the LBer 43 (and his replacement in the Rose bowl, 31) have deep middle. Vs USC the only reason #2 gets even in the picture is because he has no vertical threat from his side, and vs OSU both safeties (or deep 1/2 field players) widen and really come off the hash. (that's the reason I thought it was 4, either way 2 or 4 they are both 2 high coverages, 2 more 'zoney' 4 more pattern read).

okay you want to call it cover 2 fine, the question remains, who controls the middle of the field? Looks to me in both plays, the LBer 43 (and his replacement in the Rose bowl, 31) have deep middle. Vs USC the only reason #2 gets even in the picture is because he has no vertical threat from his side, and vs OSU both safeties (or deep 1/2 field players) widen and really come off the hash. (that's the reason I thought it was 4, either way 2 or 4 they are both 2 high coverages, 2 more 'zoney' 4 more pattern read).
They're both Tampa 2. On both, obviously the middle of the field was exploited, but they are totally different play calls.
On play 1 (Rose Bowl). You're right in that the backer who has middle of the field needs get depth or we need to do a better job knocking the wr off his route, something we didn't even try. 31 is supposed to have the deeper middle and just gets beat, also it was an excellent throw and only rushing 3 allowed Darnold to have too much time.
On play 2 (OSU). It's a scrape blitz on the field end. Like you said 43 gets beat, but there is no run fake, its the route. Crossing receiver fakes like hes going across the field and bc we blitzed the other outside backer, the underneath zones are bigger and 43 steps up to cover the crossing route, but the receiver breaks it off and heads to the post, wide open. Not sure where 40 was heading on that play, he puts his back to the line of scrimmage and doesn't see the post coming from the other side. Maybe 43 or 40 didn't know who had deep middle.

They're both Tampa 2. On both, obviously the middle of the field was exploited, but they are totally different play calls.
On play 1 (Rose Bowl). You're right in that the backer who has middle of the field needs get depth or we need to do a better job knocking the wr off his route, something we didn't even try. 31 is supposed to have the deeper middle and just gets beat, also it was an excellent throw and only rushing 3 allowed Darnold to have too much time.
On play 2 (OSU). It's a scrape blitz on the field end. Like you said 43 gets beat, but there is no run fake, its the route. Crossing receiver fakes like hes going across the field and bc we blitzed the other outside backer, the underneath zones are bigger and 43 steps up to cover the crossing route, but the receiver breaks it off and heads to the post, wide open. Not sure where 40 was heading on that play, he puts his back to the line of scrimmage and doesn't see the post coming from the other side. Maybe 43 or 40 didn't know who had deep middle.
we are pretty much in agreement then. And you are correct there really isnt a run fake, (the RB and QB are close) so that makes it a worse read by 43, especially if he has middle control (screw the crossers, got to protect the middle first, imo). My point remains is, it wasnt really the pass rush in either case (maybe USC???) it was more the middle of the field being left open because of our scheme, and the QB's gettting the ball out of their hands quickly (more so OSU than USC) both plays happened in crunch time.
My final point would be, after this happened vs USC, I think I would have worked the heck out of this play/concept and figured a way not to have it happen again, or perhaps, not get in this D again in crunch time. Make them execute and earn it. Some days cover 3 isnt all that bad.

I still have to wonder if Toney is too small to play DE or if he's just too young. Also have to wonder once again if he is an option at LB next year. After all, we could have Brown, Buchholz, Simmons, and Miller back at DE.

Yep, even though Toney is quick enough to beat average OT's consistently, he disappears against top OT's. With Brown (if he comes back) Buchholz, Miller and Gross-Matos, even Simmons will have a hard time getting on the field as he is also seems too small to handle the big running teams and he can't overpower top OT's. I noticed Simmons using his speed to make some nice tackles from the back side in pursuit, but we need bigger DE's on the field against the big and better OLines we face....

I'd love to hear these words from CJF during his pre Spring practice press conference.... "Toney will be practicing at OLB to start Spring practice" .....

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: garw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT