ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Ruth moving on to MMA...

FWIW - I watched Ed doing a little shadowboxing in the corner after a practice session at Sunkist. His hands are lightning fast! Ed should do well in MMA because he is an exceptional athlete who would excel at almost any sport.

Here's a real stretch of imagination, but wouldn't it be cool if he became a big MMA star and then moved on to do action films! He wouldn't be the first to go that route.

He's going to translate really well to MMA. Long wing span, big hands, the ability to take people down and keep them down. Add the work ethic from wrestling and he's going to be scary good.

He's going to translate really well to MMA. Long wing span, big hands, the ability to take people down and keep them down. Add the work ethic from wrestling and he's going to be scary good.

I agree. I'd like to know how far along he is in his BJJ because that wing span could be good or bad on the ground. I'm guessing he will be a pretty fluid striker. The last unknown is how much he can withstand getting hit in the face.

Probably a good thing he went to Bellator. They will make him a headline name as quickly as possible. I was kind of hoping he might get started with a stint on TUF but he wants no part of that UFC weight class. Be a couple years before he would be able to make a crack IMO.

I agree. I'd like to know how far along he is in his BJJ because that wing span could be good or bad on the ground. I'm guessing he will be a pretty fluid striker. The last unknown is how much he can withstand getting hit in the face.

Probably a good thing he went to Bellator. They will make him a headline name as quickly as possible. I was kind of hoping he might get started with a stint on TUF but he wants no part of that UFC weight class. Be a couple years before he would be able to make a crack IMO.
Can he take a punch? he's going to have to... I'm sure he can dish 'em out

Can he take a punch? he's going to have to... I'm sure he can dish 'em out

I asked Tim about PSU guys going to MMA years ago and he mentioned Ruth. I know he has rolled with JBJ and helped him train for Cormier so he has to know that getting cracked in the jaw is part of the job description. I'm guessing PSU wrestling is going to end up placing a lot of guys in MMA over the next decade or so.

I think an occasional elbow or knee to the jaw is one thing, but constantly getting smashed to the face is an entirely different sport.

I think an occasional elbow or knee to the jaw is one thing, but constantly getting smashed to the face is an entirely different sport.

+1000

I love to watch MMA but can't fathom getting in the octagon even after being a college wrestler ...

OT, but anyone see Logan Storley on RFA? He is 4-0 and progressing nicely. Definitely not the same level of fighting as Bellator but nice to see these college wrestlers have a chance to do something competitive and make some money after finishing up on the mat.

EDIT: Dana is there and they just interviewed him. Apparently Storley said he knew he wasn't ready for the UFC yet and wanted to get another 4-5 fights under his belt and then get the call from Dana if he deserved it. Dana said Storley is a smart kid for thinking that way and would like to see Storley win another couple fights and then invite him onto TUF. Would love to see that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT