ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Pitt...all that is right in College Athletics

That guy is a dipshit. Note his Joe comment. Clueless asshole.

Why the f*ck did I click that link?

pitt sucks and has no excuses. They don't suck because they play by the rules while everyone else cheats. They just suck.

Whoa Bob. Don’t hold back. At all. ;-)

Your message convinced me to not click. Your response sufficed...

Reactions: Nitt1300
Reactions: JJTopp99
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/10/17/steigerwald-athletics-academics/

At least until they start cheating as the are implored to do by Steigerwald. I'd like to think that this is a bit TIC, but I really don't think it is.

I can't believe a member of the media actually suggested something like that. Just wow.
He used to be the poster boy for pitt on WTAE is he still there?
And frankly if he wanted to be accurate he should have said "go back to the cheating days of Majors and Sherill"

I really liked this one:

"Has Pitt been bending admission requirements? Probably. They all do. But giving scholarships to illiterates? I don’t think so."

Shady McCoy. Case closed!

or more recently Kam Carter and Paris Ford.

Penn State was squeaky clean under Joe Paterno when it came to NCAA violations, but how many kids did Joe recruit out from under a Pitt coach’s nose because of the saintly image he maintained as a result of looking the other way while Jerry Sandusky did his dirty work?

Why do people keep insinuating that Joe covered up for Sandusky when the cover-up, which never made sense, was disproven in a court of law? What a terrible journalist... what does that even mean... "did his dirty work"?

Why do people keep insinuating that Joe covered up for Sandusky when the cover-up, which never made sense, was disproven in a court of law? What a terrible journalist... what does that even mean... "did his dirty work"?
Steigerwald has hated Penn State for decades, probably because Paterno and Penn State dominated and ultimately helped destroy Pitt football. Sandusky just gives him an easy excuse to justify his perceived moral superiority.

At least until they start cheating as the are implored to do by Steigerwald. I'd like to think that this is a bit TIC, but I really don't think it is.

PLEASE don't give this guy any clicks! Here's his opinion, in the smallest font available on Rivals. It's not even worth reading, but if you absolutely must, here it is. DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK, I BEG OF YOU!

By John Steigerwald
Published on October 17, 2017

Maybe Pitt just doesn’t cheat enough.

I’ve been saying that for 15 or 20 years, maybe longer, and I got the idea from a scout who said that to me a long time ago. He also said it about Duquesne basketball when I asked why similar programs – Catholic schools in urban settings – were able to make long runs in the NCAA basketball tournament and Duquesne was an embarrassment. I’ve only been kidding a little when I’ve said it or written it about Pitt, but I’m beginning to believe it more than ever.

The Pitt football team, coming off a loss to North Carolina State is working on another wasted football season as it has been for most of the last 35 years. Nobody expects the 2017-18 Pitt basketball season to be anything short of a disaster.

But look at what Pitt’s competitors have been doing.

They’ve been cheating.

Maybe I missed it but I can’t think of any serious NCAA infraction by Pitt in either of the major sports.

Dave Wannstedt would still be the football coach if his team hadn’t had too many arrests and off the field embarrassments. But, in college football in the 21st century, it’s not about which program has the most arrest-prone players. It’s about which program has the most kids caught.

While Pitt was trying to compete against Miami in football when both were in the Big East, Miami was contending for Mythical National Championships and showing up in the Top 5.

As it turns out Miami’s players were getting paid by boosters for touchdowns and big hits from 1986-1992 and the NCAA discovered that the coaches were aware.

An academic advisor was discovered helping 57 players falsify Pell Grant applications from 1989 to 1992. It’s the largest fraud ever committed against Pell Grants. The NCAA said $412,000 in excessive aid was paid to Miami “student” athletes.

Nevin Shapiro is serving 20 years in prison right now for money laundering and who knows what else. He claims to have given at least $2 million in illegal benefits to at least 72 University of Miami players from 2002 to 2010 and that doesn’t count the parties on his yacht.

How many Pitt football coaches had to compete with that when trying to recruit kids from Florida?

Pitt doesn’t play in the same conference as Ohio State but competes with it for local kids, who are offered a chance to play pretty close to home in front of 100,000 fans.

Jim Tressell spent 10 years there and said he wasn’t aware that players were trading Ohio State memorabilia for tattoos. He also said he wasn’t aware that Maurice Clarett and other players were taking money from boosters. Sports Illustrated uncovered eight years of violations.

Penn State was squeaky clean under Joe Paterno when it came to NCAA violations, but how many kids did Joe recruit out from under a Pitt coach’s nose because of the saintly image he maintained as a result of looking the other way while Jerry Sandusky did his dirty work?

Pitt had to compete for players with St. Joe for 40 years.

Pitt is in the same conference with North Carolina now, a program that maintained its status as one of the best in the country by, for 20 years, offering bogus classes for basketball and football players and giving scholarship to kids who couldn’t read The Cat in the Hat.

Has Pitt been bending admission requirements? Probably. They all do. But giving scholarships to illiterates? I don’t think so.

Jamie Dixon kept Pitt competitive in the Big East for a long time. He was competing against Jim Boeheim, one of college basketball’s legendary and most successful coaches.

Turns out Jim was totally unaware that his kids were getting tutors to do their work for them and taking large amounts of money from boosters who gave them no-show jobs.

Were the same things going on under Jamie Dixon’s nose and he just didn’t get caught?

Not likely.

Pitt alumni and fans are frustrated because the football and basketball programs keep disappointing them. They desperately want Pitt to be mentioned in the same breath as Ohio State and Alabama in football and North Carolina and Syracuse in basketball.

Apparently, they’re not impressed by Pitt’s comparatively squeaky clean reputation on non-football and non-basketball matters.

Would they be okay with pay-for-play and “students” who can’t read multi-syllabic words?

Unfortunately, many would.

They need to get word to the new athletic director and the new chancellor and tell them they want more cheating.

PLEASE don't give this guy any clicks! Here's his opinion, in the smallest font available on Rivals. It's not even worth reading, but if you absolutely must, here it is. DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK, I BEG OF YOU!

By John Steigerwald
Published on October 17, 2017

Maybe Pitt just doesn’t cheat enough.

I’ve been saying that for 15 or 20 years, maybe longer, and I got the idea from a scout who said that to me a long time ago. He also said it about Duquesne basketball when I asked why similar programs – Catholic schools in urban settings – were able to make long runs in the NCAA basketball tournament and Duquesne was an embarrassment. I’ve only been kidding a little when I’ve said it or written it about Pitt, but I’m beginning to believe it more than ever.

The Pitt football team, coming off a loss to North Carolina State is working on another wasted football season as it has been for most of the last 35 years. Nobody expects the 2017-18 Pitt basketball season to be anything short of a disaster.

But look at what Pitt’s competitors have been doing.

They’ve been cheating.

Maybe I missed it but I can’t think of any serious NCAA infraction by Pitt in either of the major sports.

Dave Wannstedt would still be the football coach if his team hadn’t had too many arrests and off the field embarrassments. But, in college football in the 21st century, it’s not about which program has the most arrest-prone players. It’s about which program has the most kids caught.

While Pitt was trying to compete against Miami in football when both were in the Big East, Miami was contending for Mythical National Championships and showing up in the Top 5.

As it turns out Miami’s players were getting paid by boosters for touchdowns and big hits from 1986-1992 and the NCAA discovered that the coaches were aware.

An academic advisor was discovered helping 57 players falsify Pell Grant applications from 1989 to 1992. It’s the largest fraud ever committed against Pell Grants. The NCAA said $412,000 in excessive aid was paid to Miami “student” athletes.

Nevin Shapiro is serving 20 years in prison right now for money laundering and who knows what else. He claims to have given at least $2 million in illegal benefits to at least 72 University of Miami players from 2002 to 2010 and that doesn’t count the parties on his yacht.

How many Pitt football coaches had to compete with that when trying to recruit kids from Florida?

Pitt doesn’t play in the same conference as Ohio State but competes with it for local kids, who are offered a chance to play pretty close to home in front of 100,000 fans.

Jim Tressell spent 10 years there and said he wasn’t aware that players were trading Ohio State memorabilia for tattoos. He also said he wasn’t aware that Maurice Clarett and other players were taking money from boosters. Sports Illustrated uncovered eight years of violations.

Pitt had to compete for players with St. Joe for 40 years.

Pitt is in the same conference with North Carolina now, a program that maintained its status as one of the best in the country by, for 20 years, offering bogus classes for basketball and football players and giving scholarship to kids who couldn’t read The Cat in the Hat.

Has Pitt been bending admission requirements? Probably. They all do. But giving scholarships to illiterates? I don’t think so.

Jamie Dixon kept Pitt competitive in the Big East for a long time. He was competing against Jim Boeheim, one of college basketball’s legendary and most successful coaches.

Turns out Jim was totally unaware that his kids were getting tutors to do their work for them and taking large amounts of money from boosters who gave them no-show jobs.

Were the same things going on under Jamie Dixon’s nose and he just didn’t get caught?

Not likely.

Pitt alumni and fans are frustrated because the football and basketball programs keep disappointing them. They desperately want Pitt to be mentioned in the same breath as Ohio State and Alabama in football and North Carolina and Syracuse in basketball.

Apparently, they’re not impressed by Pitt’s comparatively squeaky clean reputation on non-football and non-basketball matters.

Would they be okay with pay-for-play and “students” who can’t read multi-syllabic words?

Unfortunately, many would.

They need to get word to the new athletic director and the new chancellor and tell them they want more cheating.
Wow, that's a really well researched article. He says everyone cheats and then gives examples like Jim Tressel and Miami of the 80's. Nothing like outdated examples. If everyone but Pitt is cheating, it should be easy to find. Maybe, just maybe, top players don't want to go to Pitt....I know, tough concept to grasp.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
Wow, that's a really well researched article. He says everyone cheats and then gives examples like Jim Tressel and Miami of the 80's. Nothing like outdated examples. If everyone but Pitt is cheating, it should be easy to find. Maybe, just maybe, top players don't want to go to Pitt....I know, tough concept to grasp.

LOL, well they tried going the negative recruiting route with sending racist literature in the 80's and 90's and that didn't work, so they went the negative recruiting and rumor mongering tactic last year and that didn't work so I guess they might as well try cheating.

Maybe, just maybe, top players don't want to go to Pitt....I know, tough concept to grasp.

3122133-870x470.jpg

What are you talking about?!

:confused:

I could be a Pittsburgh sports writer, just cater to the lunatic lair fringe.

Make excuses for Pitt's mediocrity, throw around baseless accusations at other schools, especially PSU and Paterno... generate click

The author isn't a journalist, it takes no skill to do what he does. Sadly he didn't even come up with the idea, he stole if from Mark Madden.

LOL, well they tried going the negative recruiting route with sending racist literature in the 80's and 90's and that didn't work, so they went the negative recruiting and rumor mongering tactic last year and that didn't work so I guess they might as well try cheating.
It's funny, schools that are dead end recruiting destinations or have no recruiting base have some of the most unrealistic expectations...Pitt and WV come to mind.

There's just no telling just how many championships Pitt would have if they only had a coach as unethical as Joe.
Hell I'd bet they would even be able to coax Nick Saban to be their coach. o_O

That guy is a dipshit. Note his Joe comment. Clueless asshole.

Why the f*ck did I click that link?

pitt sucks and has no excuses. They don't suck because they play by the rules while everyone else cheats. They just suck.

Maybe Pitt cheats with the best of them and sucks with the worst of them and Stiegerwald has an IQ of ten. If I were a betting man, I think I would call that a trifecta win.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
Pitt had the other in state school and their biggest recruiting threat get hit with the second worst sanctions in the history of college football and they gained zero ground...in fact, it looks like they've lost ground, yet they say it's because they don't cheat. So even if this clown thinks Paterno cheated and that hurt Pitt, what happened since 2011 when not only were we not cheating, we weren't even on a level playing field?

Pitt had the other in state school and their biggest recruiting threat get hit with the second worst sanctions in the history of college football and they gained zero ground...in fact, it looks like they've lost ground, yet they say it's because they don't cheat. So even if this clown thinks Paterno cheated and that hurt Pitt, what happened since 2011 when not only were we not cheating, we weren't even on a level playing field?

PennS Envy!

Reactions: AWS1022
They have been cheating with their reported attendance figures for years.

Ironically, the only times that Pitt had success in CFB, they were the ones cheating like crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT