ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Courtney Smith clarifies the 2015 investigation

I just assume they’re all lying. And there is nothing wrong with that, right?
Sure it's fine the face of your school who gets paid 7 million a year boldly lies to the press and then tries to delete any evidence of that off of his phone. In fact so much so they basically say in their own report they knew he was trying to cover it up. The school basically said...so what, we're gonna win and we know the news cycles will spin away from this in a week or so....and they did.

In what world does an employer send a lawyer to talk to the wife of one of their employees out of pressing charges.
Do you not realize how absolutely bizarre that is?

I assume you have broken the law once or twice 78. Could you imagine your employer sending a lawyer to talk your victim out of pressing charges?

But you don't find that odd at all? You are a troll, or just incredibly stupid. (most likely both)

Not bizarre at all. You act as though a college football team is like working for WalMart
Again, he explained to her the ramifications of pressing charges--she made an informed decision. I've also never had someone that I would consider I made a victim
I think you're incredibly stupid as well. Not trolling at all--just don't blindly hate Urban Meyer because he's a threat to our program's success

It is bananas and it is intimidation. What employer does this?
It sounds like straight up organized crime behavior.

Yes, explaining to someone...if charges are pressed against your husband it will impact his career is obvious intimidation instead of simply being truthful with her

The school basically said...so what, we're gonna win and we know the news cycles will spin away from this in a week or so....and they did.

Which is pretty much how everyone handles a scandal other than us, right?
Hell, look at Maryland...they're just laying low

Yes, explaining to someone...if charges are pressed against your husband it will impact his career is obvious intimidation instead of simply being truthful with her

I am assuming you just take things at face value. No critical thought behind what you are told. That’s going to make life difficult for you.
I recommend a life coach.

I am assuming you just take things at face value. No critical thought behind what you are told. That’s going to make life difficult for you.
I recommend a life coach.

Actually, what is happening here is those that want to see Meyer and Ohio State punished aren't using critical thought--that would be you. No one wants to blame Courtney but she made the decision. She focused on financially stability over her safety (assuming she even was abused). She's not the first and won't be the last. That's not on Urban or anyone else. That's on her. Sorry that you need to make excuses for her. She's always been about the money--we see that daily

Actually, what is happening here is those that want to see Meyer and Ohio State punished aren't using critical thought--that would be you. No one wants to blame Courtney but she made the decision. She focused on financially stability over her safety (assuming she even was abused). She's not the first and won't be the last. That's not on Urban or anyone else. That's on her. Sorry that you need to make excuses for her. She's always been about the money--we see that daily

Given all you have been saying, I'm struggling with why ZS was terminated? Apparently, this was a big misunderstanding, and/or her fault. Nothing to see here.......

I admit I want to see him punished. He deleted texts and colluded to obstruct an Open Records investigation and he lied to the press about what he knew. He also ran a bandit program at UF. Its time for him to pay the piper.

I admit I want to see him punished. He deleted texts and colluded to obstruct an Open Records investigation and he lied to the press about what he knew. He also ran a bandit program at UF. Its time for him to pay the piper.

And I don't have an issue with that but because of that you're seeing what you want to with certain things. I don't care what happens to Urban but I'm not going on a witch hunt here. I would love nothing more than to be the better program and beat him consistently. I'd prefer that over him walking away, being punished or being forced out.

I also don't care at all about him lying to the press--I'll never understand why that bothers people so much

Nonsense. I am thinking about it critically. I don’t particularly care whether Urban is there or not. Ohio State won national championships before he was there, they’ll win championships after he leaves.
I know you want to blame Courtney and that’s fine. She certainly can take some blame for not leaving him earlier. But to simply take at face value the idea that Urban’s life coach talked to her and suddenly she changes her mind is either disingenuous or ignorant. Either way, it shows no critical thought.

Nonsense. I am thinking about it critically. I don’t particularly care whether Urban is there or not. Ohio State won national championships before he was there, they’ll win championships after he leaves.
I know you want to blame Courtney and that’s fine. She certainly can take some blame for not leaving him earlier. But to simply take at face value the idea that Urban’s life coach talked to her and suddenly she changes her mind is either disingenuous or ignorant. Either way, it shows no critical thought.

Critical thinking isn't comprehending that Courtney Smith valued financial gains over supposed safety? I think that's critical thinking at its finest. The issue is you aren't getting past what Florida/Ohio State have done to see what Courtney did. Do you really think Urban cared that much about a GA? Smith wasn't even a coach in 2009...now in 2015 that's a different discussion but we're talking about a grad assistant. Hardly vital to the program

Good God, PC move? He was abusing drugs, was evaluated for a sexual addiction, banged a co worker at work, filmed it, , had a DUI, was abusive, had financial issues, and his WR's were underperforming.

Well said, and beat me to the punch!

Good God, PC move? He was abusing drugs, was evaluated for a sexual addiction, banged a co worker at work, filmed it, , had a DUI, was abusive, had financial issues, and his WR's were underperforming.

Right--those people aren't employed anywhere. Every single person that uses drugs, slept with a co-worker, filmed themselves having sex, has a DUI and/or financial issues are unemployed and living on the streets.

he wasn't employed for his coaching ability--just his recruiting ability

It helps his stance that he sent a fixer to talk her out of charges in 09? Or it helps his stance that the cops thought he sent one in 15, but she denies it?

If he were not a sociopath, his stance would be cringing in shame. Same for you.
The same fixer is on staff at Ohio State too. Not sure how that helps Urbs.

Critical thinking isn't comprehending that Courtney Smith valued financial gains over supposed safety? I think that's critical thinking at its finest. The issue is you aren't getting past what Florida/Ohio State have done to see what Courtney did. Do you really think Urban cared that much about a GA? Smith wasn't even a coach in 2009...now in 2015 that's a different discussion but we're talking about a grad assistant. Hardly vital to the program
No, it’s not critical thinking. It’s looking at it blindly. You are not aknowledging that the life coach may have had alterior motives to present those facts to her. Not for her own good, but for the good of the grandson of Urban’s mentor.
Do I think Urban cared that much about a GA? I think he absolutely cared a lot about that GA. That GA was the grandson of his mentor, Earl Bruce. You are picking and choosing- poorly- which pieces of information you want.
Let me ask you this: Do you think it’s possible that the life coach had an alterior motive in talking to Courtney Smith when he did, beyond just showing her what outcomes could occur? Not guaranteed that he did, just that it’s possible that he did.

Doesn't a GA almost need "more care" than a coach on your staff? Those are the years that men are shaped for the rest of their professional coaching careers. And the head coach is the one who puts them on the staff. Its obvious, through nepotism and neglect of some serious issues that were occurring, Urban "cared a lot", while casting a blind eye for the betterment of ZS's career. A fave to Earl Bruce was more important to Meyer than his concern for an abused fiancee/wife.

Last time I read your posts. You have become the most irritating poster on this board in a short period of time.

Telling someone what the ramifications would be isn't talking them out of something...it's educating them.

Now Urban's responsible for Aaron Hernandez...gotcha

Urban's not required to have choir boys as his coaches...his job is to put together the best possible staff to win games--you may not like that in college football but this is big business--accept that
Who sent DeFries to talk to Courtney Smith? Did he do it on his own initiative? Did Urban Meyer tell DeFries to go talk some sense into Courtney. I bet Urban told DeFries to talk Courtney out of pressing charges. Maybe you call it education, most people view it as looking the other way on domestic violence. In this case, Zach Smith was arrested, if the laws in Florida are like they are in Ohio today, he would have faced charges since Courtney's cooperation would not have been needed. Keep patting yourself on the back.

You forgot to mention he was sent to rehab for an addiction by Ohio State, he walked out after 4 days. Somehow he was not punished. Most places that would be an immediate termination.

LOL--I'm not sure if this is you being naïve or just wishful thinking
Urban's ego won't allow him to believe for a second his reputation is damaged let alone destroyed. I think it's comical people actually believe this is going to hurt him as a recruiter which you're indicating.
Urban only walks away if his wife makes him (see Florida)...Ohio State isn't getting rid of him

I disagree. Ohio State is bigger than yes, even Urban Meyer.

Ah got it. They were just looking out for her. I guess I didn't see it that way.

I disagree. Ohio State is bigger than yes, even Urban Meyer.
Living in Ohio, this is the part I don't get from Ohio State fans - the vast majority of whom want to keep Urban. You're still going to win without Urban. OSU can go sign the Iowa State coach or whoever else they want and go right back to signing top 5 classes and being in the playoff hunt. With the added bonus that you don't have to check your morals at the door to be a fan and can actually be proud of your program. That seems like a much more enjoyable fan experience to me.

Odd I don't see this anywhere

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-zach-smith-clarifies-details-police-report

I know it doesn't help what most here want everyone to believe but, if anything, Urban's smiling this morning

First time Urban was thrilled
According to the Dispatch, the 2015 police report said that Courtney Smith told police that Ohio State sent a lawyer to her home after a previous incident in hopes of "convincing her to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU if she proceeded with the prosecution." Smith said she doesn't remember telling police about any such conversation.

"No way. I would have never said that," she said Wednesday night

Second time Urban was thrilled
Courtney Smith said she did tell police that she dropped charges against Zach Smith in 2009 when the couple lived together in Florida. Zach Smith had worked as a graduate assistant for the Florida Gators under Urban Meyer. She said that she was approached in 2009 by a Florida football staff member, Hiram deFries, who told her that pursuing charges would damage Zach Smith's career. Courtney Smith's encounter with deFries has been previously reported. DeFries, who is now employed with Ohio State's football program, was formerly an attorney.

I am confused - this somehow makes Urban and Osu look better? Not sure the lawyer vists were ever in the fact-pattern that has the entire world in uproar over their blind eye to spousal abuse. If anything, it just Courtney Smith seem more honest

So, explaining to someone that if she moves forward with charges it will negatively impact her husband's career is hiding a problem instead of simply being honest. Courtney valued money over her well-being--assuming there was any abuse.

Me thinks you may be a little off...…….end with the FACT that they sent someone to talk her out of ……

That is NOT good and no one should be HAPPY in any way whatsoever!

No, it’s not critical thinking. It’s looking at it blindly. You are not aknowledging that the life coach may have had alterior motives to present those facts to her. Not for her own good, but for the good of the grandson of Urban’s mentor.
Do I think Urban cared that much about a GA? I think he absolutely cared a lot about that GA. That GA was the grandson of his mentor, Earl Bruce. You are picking and choosing- poorly- which pieces of information you want.
Let me ask you this: Do you think it’s possible that the life coach had an alterior motive in talking to Courtney Smith when he did, beyond just showing her what outcomes could occur? Not guaranteed that he did, just that it’s possible that he did.

Everyone in life has ulterior motives. I never said it was for her good. I said, he educated her on what would happen (which he provided factual information) and she made a decision. Courtney could have pressed charges after but she valued money over everything else which is true for a lot of people

Urban would sell anyone he had to for the betterment of his name and program so, no, I don't think he cared about the GA

Who sent DeFries to talk to Courtney Smith? Did he do it on his own initiative? Did Urban Meyer tell DeFries to go talk some sense into Courtney. I bet Urban told DeFries to talk Courtney out of pressing charges. Maybe you call it education, most people view it as looking the other way on domestic violence. In this case, Zach Smith was arrested, if the laws in Florida are like they are in Ohio today, he would have faced charges since Courtney's cooperation would not have been needed. Keep patting yourself on the back.

You're speculating as to what Urban did when you have no proof of that and we're discussing what was regarding the incident not what it would have been in a different state about a decade later

Ah got it. They were just looking out for her. I guess I didn't see it that way.

Never said they were looking out for her. They told her actually what would happen if she pressed charges...she took that information and picked financial security. Her choice. I love when people blame others instead of the person making the decision

Me thinks you may be a little off...…….end with the FACT that they sent someone to talk her out of ……

That is NOT good and no one should be HAPPY in any way whatsoever!

Urban's thrilled--whether he should be or not is a different question

Everyone in life has ulterior motives. I never said it was for her good. I said, he educated her on what would happen (which he provided factual information) and she made a decision. Courtney could have pressed charges after but she valued money over everything else which is true for a lot of people

Urban would sell anyone he had to for the betterment of his name and program so, no, I don't think he cared about the GA
Why the hell do you keep saying over and over and over that Courtney chose financial gain over justice? How in the hell do you know that? Where you there? If not it’s just as plausible that she was intimidated by Urbs “Life Coach”. Does your spine hurt from bending over backwards defending OSU and Urbs?

Reactions: WyomingLion
Never said they were looking out for her. They told her actually what would happen if she pressed charges...she took that information and picked financial security. Her choice. I love when people blame others instead of the person making the decision
you have no idea what they told her. For all you know, they may have threatened her. In any case, a college sending someone out to talk them out of not pressing charges when it is suspected a crime took place? You are OK with that in college sports? If so, you and I have radically differences in the role of college athletics.

Reactions: chrisrn1965
Odd I don't see this anywhere

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-zach-smith-clarifies-details-police-report

I know it doesn't help what most here want everyone to believe but, if anything, Urban's smiling this morning

First time Urban was thrilled
According to the Dispatch, the 2015 police report said that Courtney Smith told police that Ohio State sent a lawyer to her home after a previous incident in hopes of "convincing her to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU if she proceeded with the prosecution." Smith said she doesn't remember telling police about any such conversation.

"No way. I would have never said that," she said Wednesday night

Second time Urban was thrilled
Courtney Smith said she did tell police that she dropped charges against Zach Smith in 2009 when the couple lived together in Florida. Zach Smith had worked as a graduate assistant for the Florida Gators under Urban Meyer. She said that she was approached in 2009 by a Florida football staff member, Hiram deFries, who told her that pursuing charges would damage Zach Smith's career. Courtney Smith's encounter with deFries has been previously reported. DeFries, who is now employed with Ohio State's football program, was formerly an attorney.

Neither of these "revelations" benefit UM or OSU. How do you know she didn't say, "No way. I would have never said that. What I would have said is 'they coerced me to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU and nobody would believe me'?"

You are clearly wrong about the last point. He went way, way out of his way to protect the man, Zach Smith, who was just a GA at the time. This has been proven true by his choosing to hire him and keep him on staff for years after this incident despite many incidents which could have led to his dismissal. You say Urban would sell anyone for the betterment of his program, yet (if what I have read is correct) he had never fired an assistant coach before firing Smith.
Your last sentence in your first paragraph is also not necessarily correct. You say she valued money over everything else. That is possible. It is also possible that she loved her husband and wanted to give him another chance. Could be that she valued family over everything else. Could be that she valued her marriage commitment over everything else. Could be that she was afraid of what he would do if she pressed charges. All are possibilities.

Why the hell do you keep saying over and over and over that Courtney chose financial gain over justice? How in the hell do you know that? Where you there? If not it’s just as plausible that she was intimidated by Urbs “Life Coach”. Does your spine hurt from bending over backwards defending OSU and Urbs?

Have you listened to her? You can create your own narrative.
I'm still confused as to not blindly hating a program is defending them. Again, I believe this is a non-story. Others have acknowledged if it happened at Purdue (for example) no one would be talking about it. People only care (less each day) because it's Urban

You are clearly wrong about the last point. He went way, way out of his way to protect the man, Zach Smith, who was just a GA at the time. This has been proven true by his choosing to hire him and keep him on staff for years after this incident despite many incidents which could have led to his dismissal. You say Urban would sell anyone for the betterment of his program, yet (if what I have read is correct) he had never fired an assistant coach before firing Smith.
Your last sentence in your first paragraph is also not necessarily correct. You say she valued money over everything else. That is possible. It is also possible that she loved her husband and wanted to give him another chance. Could be that she valued family over everything else. Could be that she valued her marriage commitment over everything else. Could be that she was afraid of what he would do if she pressed charges. All are possibilities.

How did he go "way out of his way"? He kept him on the staff because he added value (great value) as a recruiter. If he couldn't recruit he wouldn't have been retained...like any job. You don't have to be a saint to have a job.

Let's say she loved her husband and wanted to give him a chance--why is that Urban's fault?

Why is her being afraid of Zach (possibly) Urban's fault?

You know why this all pisses me off--this is the same BS that we heard about Paterno. Moral obligation, blah, blah, blah. We aren't the morality police

Have you listened to her? You can create your own narrative.
I'm still confused as to not blindly hating a program is defending them. Again, I believe this is a non-story. Others have acknowledged if it happened at Purdue (for example) no one would be talking about it. People only care (less each day) because it's Urban
You certainly created your own narrative which seems like pure fiction to support a liar.

How about his next girlfriend or next wife?

Again, what does this have to do with an employer? Does WalMart have to fire everyone accused of any domestic crime? Seriously, if anyone ever accused of something is unemployable we're all in trouble. How are we going to support them all?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT